Will females dominate the music industry again?

Moderators: tdc2000, biscuits, JSparksFan

Postby jpguy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:09 am

It seems like besides Dua Lipa and Camila Cabello every female is struggling with Streaming these days...

- Pink didn't get top 10 because of streaming
- Ageism on top will make it even harder for females to chart decently
- Even artists like Laura Pausini, who established a huge following in their careers seem to have a hard time charting past the top 10 entries and then drop like a rock

What is needed for females to rebound?
::: Christina Aguilera - Liberation IS COMING 6.15.18 :::
jpguy
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:14 am

Women literally dominated for 30 years... from about the time Madonna and Whitney got huge into the mid-80s until about 2 years ago. For the love of god, how dare the guys have a time to shine for once instead of a "token male star" ala Usher or Timberlake shine in a sea of divas divas divas.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby GetBack » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:25 am

I really thought leoapp came back to open this thread! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, just like what NothingFails mentioned, females have dominated for over thirty years now. It's not the same anymore since the Madonna/Whitney template of what a female pop star should be (as a standard) does not fit in the current market audience.

With people being more in charge of which songs to listen to, the whole experience of domination whee a female pop star has huge sales, string of big hits per album, popular videos, does not follow because record labels, radio and MTV don't get to force feed these mainstream artists to people unlike the old days.
GetBack
Legend

Postby Jonathan » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:16 am

aren't Adele and Taylor Swift the two biggest acts in the US since 2015?
Jonathan
Legend

Postby Erotica » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:51 am

I think many (male) young people would feel ashamed to listen to some of the female acts to be honest. And many young people use streaming, so women struggle in the charts
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby Wayne » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:17 am

The ageism argument is weak because it affects everybody - it's more about the type of music.

Women just happen to make a lot of pop and R&B music, men happen to make a lot of rock music - pop music charts and rock music doesn't. So women, over represented in pop, appear to be subject to ageism but really - everyone is. You will find your exceptions on both sides, but generally speaking - ageism isn't gender specific (at least now). Once you reach a certain age in pop music, your chart days are numbered - at least as far as the singles chart goes.

The real issue lies in the type of music made - if you look at the top 50 best-selling albums of 2016, only 11 are by solo females and of those 11 - nearly half are probably considered veterans, with established fanbases or legendary statuses:

#1 - Beyoncé - Lemonade (2.5m - #1 overall)
#2 - Adele - 25 (2.4m - #2 overall)
#3 - Sia - This Is Acting (1.2m - #13 overall)
#4 - Rihanna - Anti (1.1m - #18 overall)
#5 - Céline Dion - Encore Un Soir (1.1m - #19 overall)
#6 - Lady Gaga - Joanne (1.0m - #22 overall)
#7 - Utada Hikaru - Fantôme (1.0m - #23 overall)
#8 - Ariana Grande - Dangerous Woman (0.9m - #28 overall)
#9 - Norah Jones - Day Breaks (0.6m - #44 overall)
#10 - Barbra Streisand - Encore: Movie Partners Sing Broadway (0.6m - #45 overall)
#11 - Taylor Swift - 1989 (0.6m - #47 overall)

Source: IFPI

The 90s is the only decade where women REALLY outdid the men.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby CelinetoBarbra » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:50 pm

Thought Encore is less successful than monster Partners, Barbra's album is always the best English seller mong pe-00 solo divas again
BARBRA
★Mom of Divas
★2Osc+  10Gram+  5Em+  Tony 
★Best-selling ♀ Artist
★Biggest Box office Actress
★Only Artist No.1 in 7 Decades
★1st Osc♀ Composer
CelinetoBarbra
Manager

Postby NothingFails » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:52 pm

Wayne wrote:The ageism argument is weak because it affects everybody - it's more about the type of music.

Women just happen to make a lot of pop and R&B music, men happen to make a lot of rock music - pop music charts and rock music doesn't. So women, over represented in pop, appear to be subject to ageism but really - everyone is. You will find your exceptions on both sides, but generally speaking - ageism isn't gender specific (at least now). Once you reach a certain age in pop music, your chart days are numbered - at least as far as the singles chart goes.
This is a good observation. Bjork for instance is almost 53 years old and Tori Amos is nearly 55.... both artists are certainly well past their commercial peak from the 90s but given they stayed out of the pop game and focused more on alternative and other genres (Bjork essentially is a genre all to herself), they don't get 1/10th the grief for aging that Janet, Mariah or Madonna gets for the "crime" of no longer being 27 years old. Their genre generally allows their artists to age moreso whereas pop is fixated on youth and those aforementioned three are now "scary old people" to those who are trying to push the latest 16-21 year old pop star to happen.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby heppolo » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:05 am

No, they will not. Maybe Adele is the single exclusion from this trend.
Little girls play the biggest part in the target demographic.
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby abi » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:57 am

Female Pop singers are very boring at the moment though. For the 'new' acts such as Dua Lipa, Meghan Trainor, etc. their presence & charisma are very weak. They're not stannable.

Plus, with Hip-Hop kinda taking over now, I think y'all just have to wait for a little bit.
abi
Legend

Postby GetBack » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:37 am

I disagree that they are not 'stannable'. It's just that they are against the wave right now. Pop stars Dua Lipa and Camila are very powerful in social media, of course that doesn't directly translate to album sales, but they have an audience that follow their looks, etc.

Of the females today, Cardi B is playing her cards right. She is the muse of rap right now, it's crazy how the likes of Rihanna and Beyoncé (the two most powerful female artists in pop/R&B) are now rapping and testing the waters to appeal to the huge streaming fan base that is digging the kind of genre Cardi is championing right now.

It feels like the early 2000s again with the domination of hip-hop in the Hot 100. I guess it's like a cycle. People will rave melodies from vocalists once they get tired of the trap songs, and then pop dance will take over soon after and then the hip hop music will become popular again. :lol: :lol: :lol:
GetBack
Legend

Postby TIfan » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:39 am

Wayne wrote:The ageism argument is weak because it affects everybody - it's more about the type of music.

The real issue lies in the type of music made - if you look at the top 50 best-selling albums of 2016, only 11 are by solo females and of those 11 - nearly half are probably considered veterans, with established fanbases or legendary statuses:

#1 - Beyoncé - Lemonade (2.5m - #1 overall)
#2 - Adele - 25 (2.4m - #2 overall)
#3 - Sia - This Is Acting (1.2m - #13 overall)
#4 - Rihanna - Anti (1.1m - #18 overall)
#5 - Céline Dion - Encore Un Soir (1.1m - #19 overall)
#6 - Lady Gaga - Joanne (1.0m - #22 overall)
#7 - Utada Hikaru - Fantôme (1.0m - #23 overall)
#8 - Ariana Grande - Dangerous Woman (0.9m - #28 overall)
#9 - Norah Jones - Day Breaks (0.6m - #44 overall)
#10 - Barbra Streisand - Encore: Movie Partners Sing Broadway (0.6m - #45 overall)
#11 - Taylor Swift - 1989 (0.6m - #47 overall)

Source: IFPI

The 90s is the only decade where women REALLY outdid the men.
My Norah :cry:
TIfan
Legend

Postby TIfan » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:40 am

GetBack wrote:I disagree that they are not 'stannable'. It's just that they are against the wave right now. Pop stars Dua Lipa and Camila are very powerful in social media, of course that doesn't directly translate to album sales, but they have an audience that follow their looks, etc.

Of the females today, Cardi B is playing her cards right. She is the muse of rap right now, it's crazy how the likes of Rihanna and Beyoncé (the two most powerful female artists in pop/R&B) are now rapping and testing the waters to appeal to the huge streaming fan base that is digging the kind of genre Cardi is championing right now.

It feels like the early 2000s again with the domination of hip-hop in the Hot 100. I guess it's like a cycle. People will rave melodies from vocalists once they get tired of the trap songs, and then pop dance will take over soon after and then the hip hop music will become popular again. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I must admit, I agree with this.
TIfan
Legend

Postby Hugo » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:15 am

Beyoncé has been rapping since she was a child in Gyrls Time, they were literally introduced as "hip hop rapping" in Star Search. To think that she started rapping after a random Cardi B is nothing but bs, when she's been doing it all her career.

But don't count on GetYourFactsStraight to have any sort of valid arguments, let alone correct info. Try to refrain from posting if you have no idea what you're talking about.
"King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby BodyShop » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:21 am

No. They won't.
BodyShop
Manager

Postby aRat » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:22 am

ofc Hugo had to make this discussion all about his fave...

yes they will, it has already started with Dua and Camila scoring gigantic pop hits recently.
jochen on meeting famous ppl wrote:Janet (very hairy woman)
Beyonce (she was ugly)
aRat
Manager

Postby stevyy » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:33 am

aRat wrote:ofc Hugo had to make this discussion all about his fave...

yes they will, it has already started with Dua and Camila scoring gigantic pop hits recently.
But nobody is buying their albums.
stevyy
Legend

Postby Hugo » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:34 am

Schoolin Life, lord knows y'all need it.
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby aRat » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:44 am

Hugo wrote:
Schoolin Life, lord knows y'all need it.
Do you suffer from a panic attack if you don't mention her every second post of yours? :lol:

stevyy wrote:

But nobody is buying their albums.
but nobody is buying any albums?

Beyonce (she was ugly)
aRat
Manager

Postby biscuits » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:50 am

We stan for drag queens instead these days
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Hugo » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:01 pm

aRat wrote:
Hugo wrote:Schoolin Life, lord knows y'all need it.
Do you suffer from a panic attack if you don't mention her every second post of yours? :lol:
No, but I wonder if you do. I know I stan, but is it healthy for you to live in denial? It's clear you care. You only have two types of posts, talking nonsense about Beyoncé or her fanbase and praising basic Filipas no one cares about.
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby heppolo » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:07 pm

aRat wrote:but nobody is buying any albums?
Not like they can compete with Ed Sheeran (and those who can't are non-existent sales-wise).
heppolo
Legend

Postby aRat » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:07 pm

Hugo wrote:
aRat wrote:
Hugo wrote:Schoolin Life, lord knows y'all need it.
No, but I wonder if you do. I know I stan, but is it healthy for you to live in denial? It's clear you care. You only have two types of posts, talking nonsense about Beyoncé or her fanbase and praising basic Filipas no one cares about.
No, I also have other people to drag (Camila, Gaga, Mariah and Janet) while you only seem to stan for one artist.

Anyway back to the topic: pop gals are starting to get major hits again. It may not be your favorite old faves but the new gerls are crushing it.
Beyonce (she was ugly)
aRat
Manager

Postby aRat » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:08 pm

heppolo wrote:
Not like they can compete with Ed Sheeran (and those who can't are non-existent sales-wise).
he can't compete with Adele.
Beyonce (she was ugly)
aRat
Manager

Postby heppolo » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:14 pm

aRat wrote:
heppolo wrote:
he can't compete with Adele.
until she flops with her next album :lol:
(in reality, Adele is the only real deal in this game of numbers).
heppolo
Legend

Return to General Music Discussion