Why not have a ukmix radio station?

Moderators: biscuits, JSparksFan, tdc2000

Postby Deadman » Thu Apr 18, 2002 7:32 pm

Seeing that ukmix has been running for three years then why not start up a ukmix radio station? It would certainly have quite a few listeners and Matthew already does a ukmix chart but it could now be turned into an official chart and done on airplay listings instead of votes??????
Deadman
Superstar

Postby matthew_dixon » Thu Apr 18, 2002 8:24 pm

Deadman,

I think there are a few problems with that idea.

I don't know how good Lars is at that side of programming - doubt it would be a problem but you never know

More of a problem is the fact that UKMIX is a free site, and therefore can't get too many really flash features that would push the bandwidth requirement up. However there are 2 even greater problems

1) To do a radio station, you need copies of the songs - and I think you need a licence to broadcast them.

2) A radio station needs virtually constant manning. If it were to be on 24/7 a radio station would be needing to have someone manning it 24/7. We simply don't have the resources for that.

Nice idea, but sadly, it physically can't work
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby Deadman » Thu Apr 18, 2002 8:37 pm

Ok i see you're point there matthew about the maintaining but as far as the liscence goes well i could get you one in about 30 seconds. You're pretty much right about the cost and ukmix not being able to put up any flash features but you would getting more money as you got in more listeners and as for the constant tracks well they would come from the dj's and the artist's record labels who provide the radio edits. And the dj's would mostly be the registered users and moderators on ukmix right?
Deadman
Superstar

Postby Deadman » Fri Apr 19, 2002 8:37 pm

O.K then fair enough no-one seems to have taken to that idea but at least why doesn't ukmix have an online radio station like nme - surely that cant be too much hassell can it?????
Deadman
Superstar

Postby lars » Sat Apr 20, 2002 8:53 am

Here's a little excerpt from NTK (offbeat techie newsletter) that I thought rather fitting:

"Europe's music companies need to do more to wean music-lovers away from a 'free-music mindset', according to an Internet research company."
<a href="http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2108751,00.html" target="_blank" target="_new">http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2108751,00.html</a>
- of course, if only oxygen breathers could be weaned away from their "free air mindset", we could charge them for that as well...
Music costs money, lots of it, and Matthew's right, you need a lot of bandwidth too. If you spend an hour on the forums, you might download perhaps a megabyte of data. Listening to a radio station at 64Kbps (the lowest quality that doesn't totally suck), you're looking at about 30Mb in an hour.

Deadman, what's your point of reference when you say we'd be getting more money - more money than what? We don't make money from people visiting UKMIX. To do so, we'd have to charge visitors to use the site, force-feed them with lots of advertising, or turn the whole site into an online store.

We did briefly have some targetted advertising in the past which was ok for a while, but the online advertising market went downhill rapidly. While the commercial sites had to make bigger, horribly annoying adverts in desperation, we had the luxury of saying "ah well, let's stay totally non-profit". I can do that as long as the costs are low enough for me to pay for it all myself.

As far as programming goes, it wouldn't be beyond me, it's more a case of finding, installing and setting up various software. Something I've never got into because I can't be bothered with the cost.

You could run it 24 hours, by putting it on autopilot/playlist and recording a number of 1-hour shows to slip into the programming twice a day or something... yeah, a radio station would be fun but it ain't likely to happen for a good while, if ever.
lars
Code Slayer

Postby Deadman » Sat Apr 20, 2002 1:40 pm

Oh ok thats fair enough lars - it was worth a try.
Deadman
Superstar

Return to General Music Discussion