England's official world cup song

Moderators: biscuits, JSparksFan, tdc2000

Postby Deadman » Thu Apr 25, 2002 7:23 pm

Ant and Dec will perform the official England song for this year's World Cup.

The Football Association have confirmed We're On The Ball is the Official England World Cup Song.

The song also features the England Supporters Brass Band and backing vocals from members of englandfans - the official England supporters' club.

Ant and Dec told the FA's website: "We are really chuffed The FA chose us to write and record the official England World Cup 2002 song.

"Obviously our previous crimes against music weren't taken into account when they were passing judgment!"

We're On The Ball will be released on May 27.
Deadman
Superstar

Postby Aliiyssa » Thu Apr 25, 2002 7:32 pm

It's going up against Will Young's 'Light My Fire', it was in the paper today :smile: I'd put my money on Will anywayz, I like his version. :smile:
Riposarsi Negli Pesca Madre - 1960 - 2004
Ti Voglio Bene! Per cortesìa orologio io!
Aliiyssa
Superstar

Postby Deadman » Thu Apr 25, 2002 8:14 pm

Well its normally the football anthems that do better though.
Deadman
Superstar

Postby matthew_dixon » Fri Apr 26, 2002 7:30 am

Now this is the most interesting chart battle of the year - and noone's mentioned it in full

1) Will Young - "Light My Fire"

One of this years big events is Pop Idol. Will broke all sales records (well, almost all) with his last single and it would seem obvious that this, another track performed on more than one occasion on the TV show, would top the chart very safely.

2) Ant and Dec - "We're On The Ball"

Another of this years big events is the World Cup, and fresh from hosting the above TV Show (Pop Idol) come Ant and Dec with our official World Cup song. Normally it's one of the unofficial ones that does well (remember England United's "On Top Of The World"? few people do!) however with the might of Ant and Dec behind it in any other week, this would surely have number one stamped all over it. It's gonna be close

3) Sex Pistols - "God Save The Queen"

The third major event of the year is the jubilee and the famously anti-Royal punk rockers are back. "God Save The Queen" has been accused of being cheated of a number one position by conspiracy theorists as at the time of the silver jubilee this terribly anti-Royal song was actually the biggest seller, but they only made it number 2. It's back for the Golden Jubilee and all the people who didn't understand why everyone was grieving for the dear old Queen Mum will also be the ones who are anti-Jubilee and will be desparate to see this top the chart. In any other week they'd be assured of number one but in a three way battle, it'll be very close
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby Virgostar » Fri Apr 26, 2002 7:43 am

I heard about the re-release of "God Save The Queen" in time for the Golden Jubilee...I wonder how that will go....
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby Deadman » Fri Apr 26, 2002 8:04 am

Thsi is gonna be one hell of a chart battle. I wonder who'll win it. Obviously there will be other determining factors like how far England will go in the world cup.
Deadman
Superstar

Postby Kev » Fri Apr 26, 2002 9:11 am

It will be very interesting...

I don't like that Will is releasing ANOTHER cover....how sad
Kev
Manager

Postby Deadman » Fri Apr 26, 2002 9:27 am

I wish he wouldn't realease anything at all ever again!
Deadman
Superstar

Postby Mattstar » Fri Apr 26, 2002 9:52 am

Just wondering if anyone knows if any of Will Young's singles will be released in Australia and in other countries? He's starting to get a bit of a profile here. I've heard being compared to Ronan Keating. Is that a good indication of what he sounds like?
Mattstar
Manager

Postby matthew_dixon » Fri Apr 26, 2002 9:57 am

Yeah - he sort of sounds like Ronan - only Ronan has a particularly unique voice - and so does Will (but different). Will Young sounds very like (and is very good at imitating) some of the big name stars of the 1950s - shame he was born 50 years too late!
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Return to General Music Discussion