Artists dropped by label before their 1st album

Moderators: tdc2000, biscuits

Postby swiftie13 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:50 pm

Taylor Swift was first signed to RCA Records, she was not dropped, she decided to leave herself cause they wouldn't let her be creative and kept saying they'll begin her first album later, and later, so she went with a new label, Big Machine Records 8-) she's fearless :cry: :cry: :lol: :wink:
God Bless You... Akipaul> My Week Chart Potterhead.
swiftie13
Legend

Postby rootzsmith » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:02 pm

swiftie13 wrote:Taylor Swift was first signed to RCA Records, she was not dropped, she decided to leave herself cause they wouldn't let her be creative and kept saying they'll begin her first album later, and later, so she went with a new label, Big Machine Records 8-) she's fearless :cry: :cry: :lol: :wink:
RCA will be really regret now. How can they let money maker girls went away?? :lol: :lol: :lol:
rootzsmith
Manager

Postby tada » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:18 pm

SOS7 wrote:
Rickiee wrote:Katy Perry was dropped by Columbia while she had already recorded 80 percent of her album 'One Of The Boys' (technically not her FIRST album, but it's her first as Katy Perry)
Actual Katy was signed to Red Hill Records and that folded. She then signed Island Def Jam, then got dropped, then signed to Columbia and got dropped again. She signed with Capital Records in 2007, and the rest is history.
wow! i did not know this story :o so interesting and probably very wrenching for all except for Capital :lol: :lol:
tada
Legend

Postby kushi » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:10 am

I hope this doesn't happen to Iggy A!
Thriller wrote:Not a real song, post it in one of your hit This N That threads
kushi
Legend

Postby toni_pest » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:12 am

kushi wrote:I hope this doesn't happen to Iggy A!
:(

I hope this does happen to Azealia B
:)
toni_pest
Coming Soon

Postby xaMax » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:13 am

I saw this thread on the homepage and was like: OMG!!! Nooo Iggy, please not!!!! :lol: :lol: You scared the heck out of me!!
I'd like to think that we live in a kind of motion
Where our hands and feet are here to stay

Snakadaktal (2009-2014)
xaMax
Personal Assistant

Postby kushi » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:26 am

toni_pest wrote:
:(

I hope this does happen to Azealia B
:lol: :lol:
kushi
Legend

Postby Carbon » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:46 am

Did something similar happen to Porcelain Black? 'Cause the lead single from her upcoming album was released in 2011, and still no album. Or her label is being a jackass and delaying her album until everyone forgets she even exists (which has probably happened already).
Ја кријам главата под шалот.
Само на веѓите ми се гледа
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby NoAngel » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:00 pm

Adele was not actually dropped, but she declined Sony's offer to sign her, although it later became her international label. Queen of attitude 8-)
B. get off my pole!
NoAngel
Superstar

Postby jimmypages59 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:54 pm

The Sex Pistols were dropped by two labels before releasing their 1st album.

They were signed by EMI in October 1976, then dropped after releasing only one single in November 1976 "Anarchy in the UK", in January 1977.

They then signed to A&M on 10th March 1977, but were again dropped even more quickly, on the 16th March 1977, before even releasing anything. Apparently A&M pressed 25,000 copies of "God Save the Queen", but it was never released (by A&M) and most copies were destroyed.

Then for a third time in under a year, they signed to a new label, Richard Bransons Virgin in May 1977 and finally released their 1st (and only) album in October 1977.
jimmypages59
Manager

Postby Shorty » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:41 am

Girl Thing. Well, in the UK anyway. Their album was released in Australasia and Asia. But in the UK they got dropped after two singles and Hear'Say stole their third single :( :lol: I own their album and it's a fantastic slice of early 00's pop music <3

Half of the artists in my library are failed pop acts who released a couple of singles, flopped and their album got cancelled. Then the album leaked years later or was released in an overseas market.

The Stunners is another good one. They're an American girlband who had some really fabulous songs. But they got dropped and split up before their album came out.
I've now met Dean Ambrose FOUR TIMES - 28/03/15, 02/04/16, 20/08/16 & 01/04/17!!
Shorty
Resident WWE Fan

Postby danbarj » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:09 am

SOS7 wrote:
Rickiee wrote:Katy Perry was dropped by Columbia while she had already recorded 80 percent of her album 'One Of The Boys' (technically not her FIRST album, but it's her first as Katy Perry)
Actual Katy was signed to Red Hill Records and that folded. She then signed Island Def Jam, then got dropped, then signed to Columbia and got dropped again. She signed with Capital Records in 2007, and the rest is history.
Thank God! Capitol knows how to push potential!!!
I was waiting for Bey to drop so she could show that T&A arent the only ones smashing album SALES!!!
danbarj
Chief Navy Grio

Postby Blondini » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:44 pm

Shorty wrote:Girl Thing. Well, in the UK anyway. Their album was released in Australasia and Asia. But in the UK they got dropped after two singles and Hear'Say stole their third single :( :lol: I own their album and it's a fantastic slice of early 00's pop music <3

Half of the artists in my library are failed pop acts who released a couple of singles, flopped and their album got cancelled. Then the album leaked years later or was released in an overseas market.

The Stunners is another good one. They're an American girlband who had some really fabulous songs. But they got dropped and split up before their album came out.
You forgot Dolly Rockers. :wink:
:cry: Biggest tragedy in pop ever.

I would also cite 2wo Third3 (awful style of name, as bad as 5ive) - the gay boyband from mid-90s whose "fourth member" was a cartoon version of their producer Biff "Spice Girls" Stannard.
Really quality eighties-tinged synth music. 20 years ago this week they debuted: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug8fgo_6dGg
You can vote for it here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=101722&start=125" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Their biggest hit was this #20 peaker I Want The World

Their other top 40 hit I Want To Be Alone was like ABBA meets D:Ream. Really excellent but they went right over people's heads.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Shorty » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:42 am

Blondini wrote:You forgot Dolly Rockers. :wink:
:cry: Biggest tragedy in pop ever.
You know, I was going to put the Dollys but didn't for some reason :lol: I wish they'd released their album in the end cos Gold Digger & Boys Will Be Boys are some of the best girl group pop I've ever heard.

2wo Third3 is a way worse name then 5ive/Five :lol: I've never heard of them but I must check them out now :lol:
I've now met Dean Ambrose FOUR TIMES - 28/03/15, 02/04/16, 20/08/16 & 01/04/17!!
Shorty
Resident WWE Fan

Postby ThaInfo1 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:17 am

Shorty wrote:The Stunners is another good one. They're an American girlband who had some really fabulous songs. But they got dropped and split up before their album came out.
Well...Tinashe is signed and poppin.
SEE.sza.RUN
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby Era » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:43 am

danbarj wrote:
SOS7 wrote:
Thank God! Capitol knows how to push potential!!!
I had all and then most of you, some and now none of you.
Era
Legend

Postby Gagich » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:41 am

You can watch Katy's Part of Me documentary and follow exactly this period of her life when she was going from a record label to another until Capitol signs her up. :wink:
Gagich
Drunk In Love

Postby Merci » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:57 am

Gagich wrote:You can watch Katy's Part of Me documentary and follow exactly this period of her life when she was going from a record label to another until Capitol signs her up. :wink:
you can also buy Unconditionally from iTunes.
I'm the terminator, bitch talk slick, I'm a have to terminate her ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Merci
Boss Matsumoto

Postby Era » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:11 am

Merci wrote:
Gagich wrote:You can watch Katy's Part of Me documentary and follow exactly this period of her life when she was going from a record label to another until Capitol signs her up. :wink:
you can also buy Unconditionally from iTunes.
Or watch the "Dark Horse" video
I had all and then most of you, some and now none of you.
Era
Legend

Postby SholasBoy » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:50 am

Michelle Lawson, she was an act I had a few promo's from and it looked like the album was gonna be pertty good, the first single "I Just Wanna Say" charted low and the next single "Beautiful Thing" missed out altogether, she then appeared on X Factor a few years later making a fool of herself begging to be let through.

Leilani
Madness Thing, Do You Want Me? and Flying Elvis all charted lower than the previous one, I think her album would have been terrible but funny :lol:

Other artists around the same time that were dropped before their albums came out were Sweet Female Attitude, Thunderbugs, Made In London....
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby Merci » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:13 pm

anyone remembers Alex Gardner?

his single 'I'm Not Mad' was sooo good, sadly it flopped, his second single Feeling Fine was meh, flopped too

and now I guess he's been dropped.
I'm the terminator, bitch talk slick, I'm a have to terminate her ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Merci
Boss Matsumoto

Postby Guru » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:40 pm

JimJim wrote:Let's also not forget Scarlett Belle, they released three singles and got dropped.

Australian Idol winner Natalie Gauci had her winner's single and then never released an album :lol:
According to Wiki, her album was released and went platinum in Australia?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Winner ... auci_album)

:-?
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby Airwrecka » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:30 pm

Merci wrote:anyone remembers Alex Gardner?
I always thought Alex had loads of potential. I think the problem was that he suited a more indie / acoustic sound vocally, yet he was marketed with a Xenomania song. That said, I'm Not Mad was ace.

Speaking of Xenomania, does anyone know if Amelia Lily has actually been dropped? Or was it just the album that was scrapped?
❄ The brightest flame casts the darkest shadow ❄
Airwrecka
Ace Reject

Postby ludichris » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:34 pm

Kiley Dean

She was like this Aaliyah/Brandy hybrid signed to Timbaland's label in the early 2000's.

Her album Simple Girl was produced almost entirely by Timbaland but it was shelved, it was really good. You can listen to it online.
ludichris
Manager

Postby kushi » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:30 pm

preyan wrote:
JimJim wrote:Let's also not forget Scarlett Belle, they released three singles and got dropped.

Australian Idol winner Natalie Gauci had her winner's single and then never released an album :lol:
According to Wiki, her album was released and went platinum in Australia?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Winner ... auci_album)

:-?
"The Winners Journey" is just songs she performed on the show. She never released a debut album of original songs.
kushi
Legend

Return to General Music Discussion