Latino Music (Pop, Reggaeton, etc)

Moderators: biscuits, tdc2000

Postby Lety » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:05 pm

Qween wrote:Anyone knows anything new about Natalia Oreiro?
At the moment she has planned a tour in Russia, but the tour was canceled.
Drugs come in all forms .... Mine just happens to be you!
Lety
Manager

Postby Materini » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:02 pm

Equivocada is the 1st video by a Mexican diva that gets 100 m on YouTube

in 5 years and 10 months

Mi peor error is at 88 m in 1 year and 11 months

Te perdiste mi amor is at 97 m in 2 years and 6 months

Tan solo tu at 93 m in 4 years and 6 months

-Alejandra Guzmán and Thalia are the most popular Mexican divas on Youtube
Materini
Superstar

Postby Materini » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:24 pm

Gloria Stefan is nominated for Sogwriters hall of fame again

Congratulations

8-)
Materini
Superstar

Postby MrLeonix » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:21 pm

Interesting, I didn't know Thalia was about to have 2 VEVO certified music videos. Both Mexican stars (Paulina & Thalia) are fighting hard for that Mexican Queen position.

Paulina has declined a lot but she seems to be the most popular Mexican female star in Spain these days, "Mi nuevo vicio" flopped everywhere except Spain where it became a big hit while Thalia undeniably has the Top female career in her home country Mexico. Regarding social media status Paulina is the Top Mexican female on Twitter while Thalia is the Top mexican female on Facebook & Youtube.
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . U2 . Radiohead . Lenny Kravitz . Led Zeppelin . Daft Punk . Oasis . Eminem . Metallica . Soda Stereo
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby Materini » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:01 am

The Mexican Queen is Alejandra Guzmán

Commercial succes ....tours -record sales, she produced more money than Thalia and Paulina together ..x 100 with her music products...the top female artist in Mexico is Alejandra ..she sold so much more than Thalia , she has more hits , more awards , and her succes with her tours is untouchable

Legacy ..her catalog , her talent , Grammy , Ascaps , Songwriter hall of fame award ---

Popularity ...fame ...YouTube, Alejandra is going to be the female Mexican who will certify a 100m video in less time , and Tan solo tu is the video with more views on YouTube , combined by Mexican female , like 140m,she gained over 500m on YouTube just in 5 years .. Ale is the last who got a n1 and a top 15 in Mexico and USA , at 45

in fact she has the song of the decade in Argentina by a Mexican female Tan solo tu ,song that is still selling after more than 4 years even more than Madonna s GMAYL..

Ale IS only one who knows owning a 70,000 people concert in South America ,the only who could perform at LA forum ,Ale is the only Mexican who is called Queen by Latin Media, since USA till Argentina

-Thalia is just sales and hits ..YouTube ....no fame anymore , not legacy , no tours - money ,a lot of hype ,because her husband , she used to be so international , but not anymore ,

-Paulina is just hits...and she really can t bring anything now , she can t even reléase her álbum, and her YouTube views are really bad,great if she can get something in Spain ,but she even can t reléase her álbum over there, As Thalia she used to be played even in Tazmania, but she never could get a great international career ..

Even in Alejandra flops with her new álbum as Thalia did , she will still being the only one who will have a commercial career , because her touring power ....and Paulina , I don t know what she will do ...she has not a career anymore , selling 40,000 digital songs in Spain is not a profit for her label , less for her..
Materini
Superstar

Postby jpguy » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:43 am

I was le shocked to see some Daddy Yankee's videos having that much views on YouTube, ie. Limbo...

Anyways, songs hitting hard lately:

"Ginza" by J Balvin - previously "Ay Vamos!".

"Hasta el Amanecer" by Nicky Jam... hitting HARD these days as well... reggaetón music is the only thing that's hitting it hard lately...

"Desde Esa Noche" by Thalia and Maluma is another track that got released lately...

"Baila Hasta Caer" by Atellagalli and Dana Paola

"Ya Me Enteré" by Reik
::: Shinin', shinin', just like a DIAMOND, blindin' blindin' :::
jpguy
Legend

Postby jpguy » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:49 am

In regards to female Divas in Latin America these days the glory days are absolutely gone, just like in Japan per ce, nobody sales records in Latin America when it comes to female acts...

Paulina can't reléase an álbum ...

Thalia isn't releasing anything groundbreaking to reléase an álbum, even if she does, she always goes Gold in Mexico but I don't see anything in your face... she used to have massive eras, at least she did have her "Emancipation" with that Primer Fila álbum, Paulina didn't, she went down so quickly and for a while she used to be big just like Thalia, specially in Spain.

Alejandra Guzmán, I haven't Heard a song from her since that duet with Yandel? ...

Yuridia doesn't sell that much records either, it took ages for it to be certified in Mexico according to some fans.

Belinda, she's a complete failure these days.

Only Shakira can save the industry, and perhaps another Jenni Rivera compilation in Mexico... am I missing someone?
::: Shinin', shinin', just like a DIAMOND, blindin' blindin' :::
jpguy
Legend

Postby mattsky » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:58 am

"Desde Esa Noche" by Thalia and Maluma is great! I'm glad it's not a flop! Top 10 in the US and Mexico
Happiness ain't prison, but there's freedom in a broken heart
mattsky
Superstar

Postby MrLeonix » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:47 pm

Shakira is on another level. She managed to crossover as a WW act and shares the scene with the likes of Beyonce, P!nk, Britney Spears, Jennifer Lopez, Rihanna, etc.

For the Latin market I think Thalia pretty much seems to be the most solid, she's at the best position right now among all latin divas. She still maintains popularity and after 25 years of career she still enjoys success with her eras in Latin America, Mexico is her most loyal market everything she touches goes Gold or Platinum there, she's really like Mexican Royalty. Thalia has achieved very decent longevity in the business (don't think anyone expected that when she came out) and I also think there was a period in mid-2000s most people considered her "over" as Paulina was the hot thing and seemed to be her "replacement" yet she pulled a huge comeback and still keeps going, with nearly 3 decades already in the business I'd say that 98% of her albums have succeeded in the Latin Market. Paulina was up there a few years ago as well, but I don't really know what happened to her, at least she can still get hits in Spain.
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . U2 . Radiohead . Lenny Kravitz . Led Zeppelin . Daft Punk . Oasis . Eminem . Metallica . Soda Stereo
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby joiPrince_JO » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:45 pm

I always felt that Shakira's music (English and Spanish) was so much better than Ricky Martin, Jennifer Lopez, and Enrique Iglesias'. She crossover when the latin wave is completely dead worldwide and achieved more fame than Ricky and Enrique experienced during their prime.
Girls' Generation
HyoYeonBritney Spears

Girls' Generation is the best-selling girl group of all time.
joiPrince_JO
Legend

Postby MrLeonix » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:55 pm

joiPrince_JO wrote:I always felt that Shakira's music (English and Spanish) was so much better than Ricky Martin, Jennifer Lopez, and Enrique Iglesias'. She crossover when the latin wave is completely dead worldwide and achieved more fame than Ricky and Enrique experienced during their prime.
Enrique Iglesias has had great longevity tho. He's been famous and very popular since like mid 90s Ricky Martin has definately declined way more than Enrique since the 90s.

Enrique is not Latin tho. He is from Spain which means he is a Hispanic singer hence Latin America is one of his main markets (for singing in Spanish) but he's not really Latino.

Shakira or Gloria Estefan are examples of purely Latin singers.
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby joiPrince_JO » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:54 pm

MrLeonix wrote:
joiPrince_JO wrote:I always felt that Shakira's music (English and Spanish) was so much better than Ricky Martin, Jennifer Lopez, and Enrique Iglesias'. She crossover when the latin wave is completely dead worldwide and achieved more fame than Ricky and Enrique experienced during their prime.
Enrique Iglesias has had great longevity tho. He's been famous and very popular since like mid 90s Ricky Martin has definately declined way more than Enrique since the 90s.

Enrique is not Latin tho. He is from Spain which means he is a Hispanic singer hence Latin America is one of his main markets (for singing in Spanish) but he's not really Latino.

Shakira or Gloria Estefan are examples of purely Latin singers.
Well, yeah but most people (who are not fans of his) would refer to Enrique as a Latino singer just because he sings in Spanish and became famous during the Latin wave (at least in the English speaking world).

Gloria Estefan grew up in Miami. Shakira is the only South American artist to have long-lasting success in the US and the rest of the world (particularly Europe, where she is arguably more famous and popular than Enrique and Ricky ever where). Ricky Martin was born in Puerto Rico, which is US territory. Shakira was born and raised in Colombia (and is half Arabian). No other real South American artist achieved what she did.
Girls' Generation
HyoYeonBritney Spears

joiPrince_JO
Legend

Postby MrLeonix » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:02 pm

joiPrince_JO wrote:Gloria Estefan grew up in Miami. Shakira is the only South American artist to have long-lasting success in the US and the rest of the world (particularly Europe, where she is arguably more famous and popular than Enrique and Ricky ever where). Ricky Martin was born in Puerto Rico, which is US territory. Shakira was born and raised in Colombia (and is half Arabian). No other real South American artist achieved what she did.
I know that very well. I'm from Latin America :wink:

English speakers considering Enrique latino just because he sings in spanish is just ignorant.

Gloria grew up in Miami but she's indeed latina, born in Cuba. And yes definately nearly any other latin star reached Shakira's level but there are several other Latin artists that are staples here in Latin America and that have also crossovered some other markets.
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby joiPrince_JO » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:19 pm

MrLeonix wrote:
joiPrince_JO wrote:Gloria Estefan grew up in Miami. Shakira is the only South American artist to have long-lasting success in the US and the rest of the world (particularly Europe, where she is arguably more famous and popular than Enrique and Ricky ever where). Ricky Martin was born in Puerto Rico, which is US territory. Shakira was born and raised in Colombia (and is half Arabian). No other real South American artist achieved what she did.
I know that very well. I'm from Latin America :wink:

English speakers considering Enrique latino just because he sings in spanish is just ignorant.

Gloria grew up in Miami but she's indeed latina, born in Cuba. And yes definately nearly any other latin star reached Shakira's level but there are several other Latin artists that are staples here in Latin America and that have also crossovered some other markets.
I just feel like most Latin artists (Ricky, Gloria, Marc Anthony, even J-Lo to some extent) are considered American (or feel American to me) because they were either born or grew up on American territory. Whereas Shakira is actually from another continent. Maybe that doesn't make sense, but that's just how I feel :lol:
Girls' Generation
HyoYeonBritney Spears

joiPrince_JO
Legend

Postby Airwrecka » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:57 pm

How have I only just found this thread?

Me encanta la música latina. :wink:
❄ The brightest flame casts the darkest shadow ❄
Airwrecka
Ace Reject

Postby MrLeonix » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:03 pm

joiPrince_JO wrote:I just feel like most Latin artists (Ricky, Gloria, Marc Anthony, even J-Lo to some extent) are considered American (or feel American to me) because they were either born or grew up on American territory. Whereas Shakira is actually from another continent. Maybe that doesn't make sense, but that's just how I feel :lol:
I actually agree with you. Here in Latin America we don't consider Jennifer Lopez one of us. For us she's a foreign diva as American as Taylor Swift. In the US / English speaking markets she exploits the latin stereotype based on many latin cliches that doesn't represent quite properly what true latin music and people are.

With acts such as Ricky or Marc, The Puerto Rican thing is quite complicated, it technically is an American territory but Puerto Rico has always maintained a deep connection with Latin America. Always. So if I had to pick who is more "Latin" if Ricky or Jennifer I'd definately pick Ricky.

Gloria has American citizenship but she's seen as a Latina in USA and she's 100% latin and seen as one of us here in Latin America.

Anyways, all of these acts Ricky, Shakira, Gloria, Marc, Enrique, etc are probably the most superficial and cliche side of the Latin American music scene. There are plenty of Big Latin stars that are staples and icons here in the region so we have Juanes, Ricardo Arjona, Juan Luis Guerra, Mana, Paulina Rubio, Celia Cruz, or Thalia who are among some of the biggest and most established Pop names and brands in the latin scene (not including Rock or Alternative acts as this is a thread for Latin Pop).

Also several Pop Acts from Spain have made it big here in the Latin market (due to the spanish language), Enrique is not the only one. Spanish acts such as Alejandro Sanz, Miguel Bose, Mecano, Rocío Durcal or La oreja de van gogh are musical staples here in Latin America.

Also italian legends such as Eros Ramazzotti and Laura Pausini who release all of their music in both Italian and Spanish are also massive icons and legends here and have been important for the Pop scene in the Latin market.
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby joiPrince_JO » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:09 am

^ I think Jennifer Lopez doesn't even speak Spanish :lol: At least not fluently. And the only reason she had a music career to begin with was the Latin wave, because - as you said - she exploited the latin stereotype, released songs with Latin icons like Marc Anthony, etc.

I actually know some of the artists that you listed, but I guess they never crossed over into the European market?

Anyway, the reason I like Shakira is because even her English music always had a "Latin" vibe (whatever that means), it didn't sound like something Britney would release, you know? She always maintained her own style, whereas Enrique's stuff is very Americanized.

Random question: How famous/popular is Belinda in Latin America?
Girls' Generation
HyoYeonBritney Spears

joiPrince_JO
Legend

Postby MrLeonix » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:58 am

joiPrince_JO wrote:I actually know some of the artists that you listed, but I guess they never crossed over into the European market?
Most of them crossovered into Spain. And while they never achieved Shakira's level several of them have briefly crossovered into some European markets in at least one or a couple of ocassions.

Around mid 2000s Juanes did crossover into several markets in the world and Europe, his song "La camisa negra" was a big European hit reaching #1 in Germany, France, Italy, Austria, Belgium, Switzerland, Denmark and others and reaching the Top 10 in several other European markets. Between 1995 and 2000 latin pop diva Thalia crossovered a few European markets such as Greece, Hungary and even had a hit single in France she also achieved some brief success in Asia like in the Philippines. Paulina Rubio is very popular in Spain.

joiPrince_JO wrote:Anyway, the reason I like Shakira is because even her English music always had a "Latin" vibe (whatever that means), it didn't sound like something Britney would release, you know? She always maintained her own style, whereas Enrique's stuff is very Americanized.
Well Shakira didn't maintain her own style as much as you think, Shakira had her breakthrough album in Latin America in 1995, it was super popular and a current Latin classic and she was miles different than she is now. She had black hair, had always her guitar and she sang angry Rock-oriented music quite similar to Alanis Morissette's "Jagged little pill". She was deemed as a musical genius here in Latin America when she came out and was massive, some years later as her success in Latin America was outsanding she decided to pursue an English and international career however she actually changed everything she was in order to fit with the American market, changed her hair to blonde, started wearing sexy clothes, switched to pop music and changed dramatically. Many people here in Latin America consider she quite "sold out" in order to get an international career.

joiPrince_JO wrote:Random question: How famous/popular is Belinda in Latin America?
Belinda is popular and known here but in an inferior way to latin pop icons Paulina Rubio or Thalia. The popularity comparison would be something like this, Paulina and Thalia would be like Latin Pop princesses like some sort of Latin Britney and Xtina while Belinda would be like some sort of a latin Hilary Duff. Her first teen album was her most popular here and she had a more Teen Pop-rock sound (Like Hilary with "Methamorphosis") when she started out then she grew up and around her 3rd album she became more dance oriented (like Hilary with "Dignity) but has declined a lot ever since (Like Hilary).
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby joiPrince_JO » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:46 am

Oh yes, I actually remember Juanes' song, it was quite big in Germany and Austria! But I, for one, know fellow Latin artists like Paulina Rubio or Thalia only from music boards and stuff like that.

I guess you're right about Shakira, but she never really released a generic Top 40 song. All of her songs are unique and include some sort of "foreign" instrument, like an Indian banjo or a harmonica. I always had the impression that Shakira was very much the Queen of Latin America, is she still popular there? Is she someone that everyone would admit to liking or is she some sort of guilty pleasure?

And a Latin Hilary Duff? Yikes, then she must be a huge flop :lol:
Girls' Generation
HyoYeonBritney Spears

joiPrince_JO
Legend

Postby MrLeonix » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:22 pm

joiPrince_JO wrote:I always had the impression that Shakira was very much the Queen of Latin America, is she still popular there? Is she someone that everyone would admit to liking or is she some sort of guilty pleasure?
She's still a force here in Latin America and the ones that like her admit it openly, no guilty pleasure but like I told you many think she "Sold out". Right there isn't a bigger latin brand than her in the world. However the artist that is regarded universally as the "Latin Queen of Pop" or "Latin Madonna" here due to her success, impact, longevity, trajectory and influence is Gloria Estefan who paved the way for every other latin girl.

joiPrince_JO wrote:And a Latin Hilary Duff? Yikes, then she must be a huge flop :lol:
LOL not a "huge flop", like I told you her debut album was a teen sensation and her second album was popular as well, she has declined a lot tho. She isn't as big anymore.
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby toni_pest » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:25 pm

The worst kind of pop
:)
toni_pest
Coming Soon

Postby MrLeonix » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:33 pm

There are quite different types of Latin Pop tho. Like I told, not everything sounds like Ricky Martin or like the sh*t Jennifer Lopez or Pitbull try to pull sometimes, thats a stereotype. Rest of the world has no really idea about how music sounds in here as there are plenty of artists that are popular here but never make it everywhere else. The world only knows Ricky Martin, Shakira, Enrique Iglesias, etc who are not a real representation of the whole scene.

However, Latin Pop is NOT the most popular music genre here. Rock is pretty much the most celebrated genre here and Rock and Alternative bands are always the most respected musical acts over here. Latin Rock Band Soda Stereo may be the most legendary music act here in Latin America. However this is the Latin pop thread. So I only mention the "Pop" stuff.
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby aaliyahman » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:35 pm

Airwrecka wrote:How have I only just found this thread?

Me encanta la música latina. :wink:
100%
"What goes around comes back around my baby"
aaliyahman
Superstar

Postby joiPrince_JO » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:10 pm

MrLeonix wrote:Right there isn't a bigger latin brand than her in the world.
That's what I wanted to hear 8-)
Girls' Generation
HyoYeonBritney Spears

joiPrince_JO
Legend

Postby GiorgosSeahorse » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:48 pm

My favourite singer is Thalia. She's not just my favourite latin act, she's my overall favourite.
She had big success here in Greece thanks to her soap operas.
She had top 10 and number 1 albums, two of these having reached the gold certification.
Even today, many tv shows talk about her and you can find her new cds imported in our biggest record stores due to high demand by fans.

She has also had success in many other foreign countries as well.
Philippines - Platinum albums and huge success with her soap operas.
Japan - Her 2003 English album reached top 10 and was certified gold.
France - Her single Amor a la Mexicana reached #11 and was certified silver. It was a top 10 hit in Belgium and even entered the Italian chart.
Her English song I Want You entered the charts in new markets like Germany, Australia and New Zealand.

Unfortunately, she didn't maintain her success in these countries, but she is still very big in Latin America. She doesn't need to prove anything more.
GiorgosSeahorse
Personal Assistant

Return to Mad About Music