Latin Pop

Moderators: biscuits, tdc2000

Postby maroon » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:06 pm

I don't know much about Latin American music (all these singing girls from telenovelas and reggaeton starlets sound bland to me) however I absolutely love the Spanish music scene. I would even say that whenever pop has Spanish lyrics and contains some flamenco, rumba or even salsa influences, it instantly becomes lovely for me.

My favourite Latin pop acts are:

- Estopa
- Chambao
- Andy & Lucas
- Jarabe De Palo
- India Martínez
- Pablo Alborán
- Pablo López
- Rosario
- Melendi
- Bebe

I also love Spanish rock, especially Extremoduro! :)
maroon
Superstar

Location: Amsterdam (NL) / Gijón (ES) / Rzeszów (PL) / Brno (CZ) / Cork (IE)

Postby MrLeonix » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:30 pm

maroon wrote:My favourite Latin pop acts are:

- Estopa
- Chambao
- Andy & Lucas
- Jarabe De Palo
- India Martínez
- Pablo Alborán
- Pablo López
- Rosario
- Melendi
- Bebe
None of them are Latin acts tho :lol: . . . They're all from Spain. And some of them like Pablo Alboran (who is massive in Spain) didn't even crossover to Latin America. :wink:
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . U2 . Radiohead . Lenny Kravitz . Led Zeppelin . Daft Punk . Oasis . Eminem . Metallica . Soda Stereo
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby Airwrecka » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:33 pm

The term Latino gets confused a lot though. It's regularly used in the USA to describe an origin in Latin America; but the etymology of the word stems from the original speakers of Latin, and hence all of the subsequent Romance languages. Latino means different things to different people.
Sick of the hypocrisy and double standards of this place. Thank you to my friends who made my time here special.
Airwrecka
Ace Reject

Postby maroon » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:10 am

MrLeonix wrote:
maroon wrote:My favourite Latin pop acts are:

- Estopa
- Chambao
- Andy & Lucas
- Jarabe De Palo
- India Martínez
- Pablo Alborán
- Pablo López
- Rosario
- Melendi
- Bebe
None of them are Latin acts tho :lol: . . . They're all from Spain. And some of them like Pablo Alboran (who is massive in Spain) didn't even crossover to Latin America. :wink:
In Europe Latin acts are referred to those who sing in Spanish and Portuguese mainly.
Not for nothing the biggest Latin pop star is Enrique Iglesias.

Even some non-Iberic European acts such as the German band Marquess are often associated with Latin pop because of the Spanish language and latin influences.
maroon
Superstar

Postby MrLeonix » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:12 pm

maroon wrote:In Europe Latin acts are referred to those who sing in Spanish and Portuguese mainly.
Not for nothing the biggest Latin pop star is Enrique Iglesias.

Even some non-Iberic European acts such as the German band Marquess are often associated with Latin pop because of the Spanish language and latin influences.
As I'm from Latin America all of this narutally turns out very weird to me. I know all of you European and some Americans refers to "Latin" to everyone that sings in Spanish. But for me its different. For me a Latin act is someone who's from Latin America and Spanish is just the language used in the hispanic culture. So all of those artists that you mentioned ara more of Hispanic acts to me rather than Latin Acts.

And yeah, Europeans and Americans also perceive things different than us, its usual they see acts such as Enrique as the biggest latin act ever when in reality here in Latin America there are bigger acts than him. :wink:
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . U2 . Radiohead . Lenny Kravitz . Led Zeppelin . Daft Punk . Oasis . Eminem . Metallica . Soda Stereo
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby maroon » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:24 pm

There's even more to that than music.
For us for example in Poland, "latin lovers" are mainly Italians, Spaniards and even the French!
More surprisingly, you would even come across statements classifying, obviously mistakenly, Greeks (shhh!) as latino's. :lol:

But in all fairness, is it such a huge difference where the particular act was born?
There's no doubt that music from Spain and Latin America share so many similar influences and rhythms that there's actually no point in searching in the acts' birth certificates to classify them Latin or just Hispanic especially since many of them have lived on both continents for a part of their life. Besides, music in Argentina for example is much more "European", closer to the one in Spain than to Mexican or Peruvian traditional styles.
maroon
Superstar

Postby MrLeonix » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:44 pm

maroon wrote:There's even more to that than music.
For us for example in Poland, "latin lovers" are mainly Italians, Spaniards and even the French!
More surprisingly, you would even come across statements classifying, obviously mistakenly, Greeks (shhh!) as latino's. :lol:
What? :lol: . . . LOL you guys don't know real latin lovers 8-)

maroon wrote:But in all fairness, is it such a huge difference where the particular act was born?
There's no doubt that music from Spain and Latin America share so many similar influences and rhythms that there's actually no point in searching in the acts' birth certificates to classify them Latin or just Hispanic especially since many of them have lived on both continents for a part of their life. Besides, music in Argentina for example is much more "European", closer to the one in Spain than to Mexican or Peruvian traditional styles.
Well, I was just expressing how it feels from my perspective as a Latin guy. For example we don't see Alejandro Sanz (from Spain) as a "Latin act" you know?, we don't feel it like that. And the language should not define it, when Shakira releases her English albums she doesn't become North American or British for that. Latin Pop should reflect the Pop music that is originated here in Latin America, in the same way there is British Pop, Japanese Pop, K- Pop, etc.

But thats only my point of view on the matter. In fact I understand what you mean, and yes there is definately a generalization of music performed in spanish to be automatically labeled "Latin". Perhaps by "Latin" they attribute the origin of the language rather than the literal Latin American region, but by that then Italian and French music would be considered "Latin" as well and for sure thats not the case as the "Latin Pop" seems to be (in the music industry) a term exclusive attached to Spanish language songs (mainly) and Portuguese / Brazilian songs (because of Brazil that belongs to Latin America). But yes the Spanish music (Spain) seems to be put in the same "Latin" box / label.
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby jpguy » Mon May 09, 2016 6:25 am

Just get over it and move. Latin Pop refers to anyone that is classified as Latin Pop here in UK mix. Alejandro Sanz / Laura Pausini aren't from Latin America but they have an active career here. so let's move on...

some new releases lately :

Duele El Corazón by Enrique Iglesias
Ya Me enteré by Reik and the album "Latina" by Thalia.

Now back to music from Spain I personally don't like it at all.
Pablo Alboran like Mrleonix said didn't really make any impact here like Alex Ubago and David Bisbal once did. I only saw his videos a couple of times but that's it.

What's hot here (at least from Mexico to Colombia) is reggaeton music vibes like J Balvin and Maluma (two of the hottest acts right now), Nicky Jam.
I think the biggest Latin act overall is still Enrique Iglesias. which by the way I read there are bigger acts than him. big lol
::: BTS - EXO - Blackpink - Utada - Ayumi - BoA :::
jpguy
Legend

Postby jpguy » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:53 pm

Some MASSIVE hits !!!

Chantaje - Shakira

Despacito - Luis Fonsi

Reggaeton Lento - CNCO
::: BTS - EXO - Blackpink - Utada - Ayumi - BoA :::
jpguy
Legend

Return to Mad About Music