What makes a song "generic"?

Moderators: tdc2000, biscuits

Postby Ruthymon » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:43 pm

Lately, I've seen posts from an artist's singles saying "oh, this is so generic" and so forth.

So, I want to know from you, guys and girls, what makes a song "generic"?

Is it the lyrics? The production?
Ruthymon
Superstar

Postby Star » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:45 pm

It's when you hear a new song premiere, and it sounds like at least 5 other songs that were recent hits. And you know it was written and produced bearing in mind of what's hot at the moment.
Star
Sensational

Postby crazyman324 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:22 pm

Example.

Katy Perry's "Last Friday Night" and Jessie J's "Domino".
Kesha's "Tik Tok" and Katy's "California Gurls" (and then Cascada's "San Fransico").
Rihanna's "Only Girl", Nicole Scherzinger's "Wet" and David Guetta's "Night of Your Life".

After a while songs undoubtedly sound like hits because they sound like other hits.
crazyman324
The Ringleader

Postby DnBLover » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:32 pm

Both the lyrics and the production matter, but it's especially the production.
I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room
DnBLover
Legend

Postby abi » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:44 pm

Mostly the production.

"Irreplaceable" was so fresh when it came out and sounded so different with any other songs on the radio, then "Hate That I Love You", "Tattoo", "With You" and "One Less Lonely Girl" came out. So basically, everything that sound like "Irre" are generic.
abi
Legend

Postby HBIC » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:47 pm

Star wrote:It's when you hear a new song premiere, and it sounds like at least 5 other songs that were recent hits. And you know it was written and produced bearing in mind of what's hot at the moment.
This!
HBIC
Legend

Postby Star » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:17 pm

Star
Sensational

Postby Griego » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:26 pm

Lmao. :lol: :lol:
Griego
Personal Assistant

Postby NoAngels » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:38 pm

Griego wrote:Lmao. :lol: :lol:
Star is a star :lol:
Don't Worry, Cause You're Really Not That Hard to Replace.
NoAngels
Superstar

Postby randomness » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:49 pm

Blatant copycatting and using the same sounds over and over to the point that they get more stale than week old sushi.
Stand wipers unite!
randomness
Manager

Postby Titan3510 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:20 pm

Production.

Although lyrics play a huge part: lyrics can make or break a song.
I can feel this light that's inside of me, growing fast into a bolt of lightning. I know one spark will shock the world...
--Katy Perry
Titan3510
Superstar

Postby urbanmusik » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:26 pm

When a song follows a trend really closely in order to get a hit. It's normally in the production, but lately songs have been using the "Price Tag" formula with almost identical syllables in the chorus.

So basically when one song is big and a dozen copycats follow.
urbanmusik
The College Dropout

Postby aaliyahman » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:31 pm

Star wrote:It's when you hear a new song premiere, and it sounds like at least 5 other songs that were recent hits. And you know it was written and produced bearing in mind of what's hot at the moment.
Hit the nail on the head.
"What goes around comes back around my baby"
aaliyahman
Superstar

Postby aaliyahman » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:32 pm

urbanmusik wrote:When a song follows a trend really closely in order to get a hit. It's normally in the production, but lately songs have been using the "Price Tag" formula with almost identical syllables in the chorus.

And in turn Price Tag sounds like a rip off of Irreplacable.
"What goes around comes back around my baby"
aaliyahman
Superstar

Postby HBIC » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:34 pm

aaliyahman wrote:
urbanmusik wrote:When a song follows a trend really closely in order to get a hit. It's normally in the production, but lately songs have been using the "Price Tag" formula with almost identical syllables in the chorus.

I hate Price Tag but it sounds nothing like Irreplacable imo >_>
HBIC
Legend

Postby sambo9 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:38 pm

jamesssxD wrote:
aaliyahman wrote:

I hate Price Tag but it sounds nothing like Irreplacable imo >_>
Yeah, how does it sound anything like "Irreplaceable"? :lol:

If anything it's based on the "No One" (Alicia Keys) formula.
sambo9
Legend

Postby urbanmusik » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:47 pm

aaliyahman wrote:

What? "Price Tag" sounds like "Party In The USA", nothing like "Irreplaceable".

It's "Hate That I Love You", "With You", "Lifeguard", "Come Back To Me", "Bye Bye", "Take A Bow", "Stronger", "Grown Woman" and basically the whole Jordin Sparks discography along with countless others which used the "Irreplaceable" formula.
urbanmusik
The College Dropout

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:09 pm

urbanmusik wrote:What? "Price Tag" sounds like "Party In The USA", nothing like "Irreplaceable".

It's "Hate That I Love You", "With You", "Lifeguard", "Come Back To Me", "Bye Bye", "Take A Bow", "Stronger", "Grown Woman" and basically the whole Jordin Sparks discography along with countless others which used the "Irreplaceable" formula.
"Tattoo", yes, but not her entire discography.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby urbanmusik » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:15 pm

JSparksFan wrote:
urbanmusik wrote:What? "Price Tag" sounds like "Party In The USA", nothing like "Irreplaceable".

I was just messing around, although you can add "One Step At A Time" to that list too. :P
urbanmusik
The College Dropout

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:36 pm

urbanmusik wrote:
JSparksFan wrote:

I was just messing around, although you can add "One Step At A Time" to that list too. :P
Sorry, my inner stan is uncontrollable at times. :oops: But if we must get nitpicky, let's not forget Bey's "borrowed choreography" for the "Countdown" video. :wink:

Back on topic, though. I think a song is generic when it's just a rehash of much bigger, more successful, and quite frankly, more epic songs. I remember Kingsley saying that you can literally sing "Calfornia Gurls" over the "Tik Tok" beat. That's generic.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:57 pm

Britney being on it. :lol: Joking! well kinda... I think it's already been explained in this thread, basically it's something recycled and formulaic. :wink: Soulless tosh in other words.
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby urbanmusik » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:07 pm

JSparksFan wrote:
urbanmusik wrote:
JSparksFan wrote:

Sorry, my inner stan is uncontrollable at times. :oops: But if we must get nitpicky, let's not forget Bey's "borrowed choreography" for the "Countdown" video. :wink:
My inner stan has to make an appearance to say that Beyoncé and the music video's director made no secret that they were inspired De Keersmaeker. :P Plus that's not generic as it's not as if loads of people were inspired by that choreographer's video. ;) [/stanmode]
urbanmusik
The College Dropout

Postby swiftie13 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:45 pm

In my opinion it is not offering anything special and sounding very formulated. It's just some "whatever" lyric with no thoughts on the following subjects:

Girls / Boys
Clubbing
Sex
Cheesy Self Empowerment (lately)

and the music is also samey to a lot for example Starships by Nicki sounds like all the songs on pop radio mixed together ...

well that's me and I cannot really stand genericness
God Bless You... Akipaul> My Week Chart Potterhead.
swiftie13
Legend

Postby Titan3510 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:20 pm

swiftie13 wrote:In my opinion it is not offering anything special and sounding very formulated. It's just some "whatever" lyric with no thoughts on the following subjects:

Girls / Boys
Clubbing
Sex
Cheesy Female Empowerment

and the music is also samey to a lot for example Starships by Nicki sounds like all the songs on pop radio mixed together ...

well that's me and I cannot really stand genericness
Fixed. :wink:
I can feel this light that's inside of me, growing fast into a bolt of lightning. I know one spark will shock the world...
--Katy Perry
Titan3510
Superstar

Postby sambo9 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:27 pm

^ Female?!

Firework
Who You Are
F**kin' Perfect
Born This Way
What Doesn't Kill You (Stronger)
We R Who We R
Mean

Those are all self-empowering songs, and are not gender specific.
sambo9
Legend

Return to General Music Discussion