What makes a song "generic"?

Moderators: tdc2000, biscuits

 

Postby HBIC » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:43 pm

*dead* aaliyahman they DO sound nothing alike :lol: :lol:
User avatar
HBIC
Legend
 
Posts: 15986
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010
Location: Scotland

Postby Hugo » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:45 pm

aaliyahman wrote:and now these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk_ED5Cf1_Q
Buddha, SD instrumental is PERFECTION so many nuances and details 8-)
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
User avatar
Hugo
HAL 9000
 
Posts: 36906
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Portugal

Postby Titan3510 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:10 pm

JSparksFan wrote:
Titan3510 wrote:Uh-uh...nope. Sorry. Not accepting that, Akini.

My problem isn't with female empowerment songs. Every once and a while, they're okay.

It's just the overload that I've been getting is cheap and played-out.

Tawdry. Tasteless. Unpleasant. Janky. Garish. Insincere. Meretricious. Ratchet.

Need I go on?

And to make matters worse, the cheesy female empowerment anthems having nothing to do with the music industry at large.

It's all about "girl, do you." "Shawty got her own." "My chick can do this and that and that over there too."

So I don't know what you're talking about.
The power of a thesaurus! 8-)

So, I guess what you're saying is that you hate the overload of female empowerment anthems by women as well as men?
Yes. Exactly.

They are so many female empowerment anthems out there that the "anthems" lose their meaning.

Titan3510 wrote:
So, as Bey said, "Who run the world? Girls." 8-)
That's funny...I haven't seen Beyonce running much of anything in a long time...

#clapback
Now, even you've gotta admit that that was a low blow! :lol: But Bey will be back to wig-snatching form her next era. No doubt about it. 8-)
Yeah it was a low blow. But a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

And you were kinda asking for it: you should've known better than to quote something like that from Beyonce when she's one of the main perpetrator.
I can feel this light that's inside of me, growing fast into a bolt of lightning. I know one spark will shock the world...
--Katy Perry
User avatar
Titan3510
Superstar
 
Posts: 6637
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011
Location: USA

Postby joao » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:16 pm

JSparksFan wrote:@ Titan, I think for so many years, men have dominated the music industry so it's only fitting that these female empowerment anthems have become so rampant as they symbolize the changing of the times. Take a look at the US Top 10. 8/10 of the songs belong to female artists. Back in the day, the other way around was the norm. So, as Bey said, "Who run the world? Girls." 8-)
And have you noticed that most of the real songwriters and producers behind these "empowerment" songs are actually MALE?

And it´s not just female empowerment, it´s gay empowerment, ugly-bullied-teenager emporwerment, etc.

The objective is clear: hot, beautiful, straight, rich and popular females like Katy Perry and Lady Gaga need the ugly, fat, gay, bullied people to buy her records.
joao
Superstar
 
Posts: 5899
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2004

Postby joao » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:18 pm

swiftie13 wrote:^ Ever since the 200's females have been alllll over.. men need to come back now if you ask me! :lol:
They are still here, writing and producing most of the things that good looking females sell.
joao
Superstar
 
Posts: 5899
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2004

Postby Titan3510 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:58 pm

joao wrote:
swiftie13 wrote:^ Ever since the 200's females have been alllll over.. men need to come back now if you ask me! :lol:
They are still here, writing and producing most of the things that good looking females sell.
Truth. Tea.
I can feel this light that's inside of me, growing fast into a bolt of lightning. I know one spark will shock the world...
--Katy Perry
User avatar
Titan3510
Superstar
 
Posts: 6637
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011
Location: USA

Postby aaliyahman » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:20 am

jamesssxD wrote:*dead* aaliyahman they DO sound nothing alike :lol: :lol:
To you. Nothing to die over. To me it shows how little you know about any form of musical composition.
Last edited by aaliyahman on Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What goes around comes back around my baby"
User avatar
aaliyahman
Superstar
 
Posts: 9499
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006

Postby aaliyahman » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:21 am

therealestMC wrote:
aaliyahman wrote:
UKMusicLova wrote:LOL at 'Price Tag' sounding like 'Irreplaceable'. That's almost as ludicris as when you said Keri's 'I Like' sounded like Beyoncé's 'Sweet Dreams' :lol:

I think as most people said, 'generic' for me is when the song sounds like many other songs that are around in the charts.

Rita Ora's 'Party and Bullshit' is generic because it sounds like 'Teenage Dream', 'Last Friday Night', 'Price Tag', 'Raise Your Glass' etc etc..

I think if one song is similar to another song that isn't 'generic' but it is if many many songs have followed the same formula!
No need to be rude because you and some others don't agree. Sometimes people get an easy pass on this forum. :roll:

What I love is how confidant you are in telling me my OPINION is wrong. Please follow the links and tell me they sound nothing alike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2feLmJzb50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJSSGcOk0H8

and now these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk_ED5Cf1_Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38wsNnbcSWM
:lol: So basically, everyone copies Beyonce - the orginator of music.
It wasn't even about that clearly as I'm not even sure Beyonce composed or produced those songs. It's two songs that I thought were familiar to Beyonce songs. I like all 4 of them. Someone else dragged the Keri Hilson song up trying to have a dig.
"What goes around comes back around my baby"
User avatar
aaliyahman
Superstar
 
Posts: 9499
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006

Postby HBIC » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:25 am

aaliyahman wrote:
jamesssxD wrote:*dead* aaliyahman they DO sound nothing alike :lol: :lol:
To you. Nothing to die over. To me it shows how little you know about any form of musical composition.
I don't know anything about musical composition, I think it's just your ears suck & mine are better.
User avatar
HBIC
Legend
 
Posts: 15986
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010
Location: Scotland

Postby Titan3510 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:31 am

aaliyahman wrote:
jamesssxD wrote:*dead* aaliyahman they DO sound nothing alike :lol: :lol:
To you. Nothing to die over. To me it shows how little you know about any form of musical composition.
Continue.
I can feel this light that's inside of me, growing fast into a bolt of lightning. I know one spark will shock the world...
--Katy Perry
User avatar
Titan3510
Superstar
 
Posts: 6637
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011
Location: USA

Postby CrazyCrazy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:32 am

Titan :lol:
User avatar
CrazyCrazy
Legend
 
Posts: 53170
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008
Location: UK

Postby aaliyahman » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:32 am

jamesssxD wrote:
aaliyahman wrote:
jamesssxD wrote:*dead* aaliyahman they DO sound nothing alike :lol: :lol:
To you. Nothing to die over. To me it shows how little you know about any form of musical composition.
I don't know anything about musical composition, I think it's just your ears suck & mine are better.
Try not to think in future. It obviously isn't your strong point. :wink:
"What goes around comes back around my baby"
User avatar
aaliyahman
Superstar
 
Posts: 9499
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006

Postby CrazyCrazy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:33 am

ooh bitchy...I'm joining Titan with my popcorn. :lol:
User avatar
CrazyCrazy
Legend
 
Posts: 53170
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008
Location: UK

Postby UKMusicLova » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:37 am

I'm sure if I tried hard enough I could find similarities between John Lennon's 'Imagine' and Katy Perry's 'Teenage Dream'. But that doesn't mean they sound ANYTHING like one another.
User avatar
UKMusicLova
Legend
 
Posts: 30389
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006
Location: On a Cosmic journey

Postby HBIC » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:39 am

aaliyahman wrote:
jamesssxD wrote:
aaliyahman wrote:
jamesssxD wrote:*dead* aaliyahman they DO sound nothing alike :lol: :lol:
To you. Nothing to die over. To me it shows how little you know about any form of musical composition.
I don't know anything about musical composition, I think it's just your ears suck & mine are better.
Try not to think in future. It obviously isn't your strong point. :wink:
You fail. Trying to drag me because nobody agrees with your delusional similarities over songs that sound nothing a like, also why are you making it into such a big deal? Embarrassing.
User avatar
HBIC
Legend
 
Posts: 15986
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010
Location: Scotland

Postby housezhang » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:27 am

UKMusicLova wrote:I'm sure if I tried hard enough I could find similarities between John Lennon's 'Imagine' and Katy Perry's 'Teenage Dream'. But that doesn't mean they sound ANYTHING like one another.
:lol: i do agree with youImage
housezhang
Groupie
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012

Postby JimJim » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:28 am

PLEASE GET BACK ON TOPIC

If you do not heed this warning, we will not hesitate to hand out warnings and/or bans.
User avatar
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse
 
Posts: 26275
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008
Location: Melbourne, Aus

Postby aaliyahman » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:12 am

jamesssxD wrote:
aaliyahman wrote:
jamesssxD wrote:
aaliyahman wrote:
jamesssxD wrote:*dead* aaliyahman they DO sound nothing alike :lol: :lol:
To you. Nothing to die over. To me it shows how little you know about any form of musical composition.
I don't know anything about musical composition, I think it's just your ears suck & mine are better.
Try not to think in future. It obviously isn't your strong point. :wink:
You fail. Trying to drag me because nobody agrees with your delusional similarities over songs that sound nothing a like, also why are you making it into such a big deal? Embarrassing.
You've tried with your digs twice now about the same issue in the Keri Hilson thread and this yet I am making it a big issue? UKmusiclova brought Keri up. You could have disagreed and moved on yet you started with your *dead* etc. You don't hear the difference and neither do a few others, it doesn't mean you are right. It doesn't mean I am right. There is nothing delusional about what I have said.
"What goes around comes back around my baby"
User avatar
aaliyahman
Superstar
 
Posts: 9499
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006

Postby Titan3510 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:19 am

aaliyahman wrote:
jamesssxD wrote:
aaliyahman wrote:
jamesssxD wrote:
aaliyahman wrote:
jamesssxD wrote:*dead* aaliyahman they DO sound nothing alike :lol: :lol:
To you. Nothing to die over. To me it shows how little you know about any form of musical composition.
I don't know anything about musical composition, I think it's just your ears suck & mine are better.
Try not to think in future. It obviously isn't your strong point. :wink:
You fail. Trying to drag me because nobody agrees with your delusional similarities over songs that sound nothing a like, also why are you making it into such a big deal? Embarrassing.
You've tried with your digs twice now about the same issue. You could have disagreed and moved on yet you started with your *dead* etc. You don't hear the difference and neither do a few others, it doesn't mean you are right. It doesn't mean I am right. There is nothing delusional about what I have said.
....

Ok...but anyways....on topic...

Question

Do you guys think that vocal delivery can make an otherwise decent song into a generic "I'm about to change the radio station" borefest?
I can feel this light that's inside of me, growing fast into a bolt of lightning. I know one spark will shock the world...
--Katy Perry
User avatar
Titan3510
Superstar
 
Posts: 6637
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011
Location: USA

Postby Ruthymon » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:18 am

Titan3510 wrote:
Question

Do you guys think that vocal delivery can make an otherwise decent song into a generic "I'm about to change the radio station" borefest?
Hmm, it depends.
User avatar
Ruthymon
Superstar
 
Posts: 7559
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:21 am

Hmm good question, it's easier to think about it the other way around, does vocal delivery make a generic song, not so generic? My answer is yes it can. :)
User avatar
CrazyCrazy
Legend
 
Posts: 53170
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008
Location: UK

Postby naughty » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:01 am

The answer of this topic is easy,

If most of Ukmixers including me love it, then you can loudly say it's GENERIC!
User avatar
naughty
Superstar
 
Posts: 7985
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005
Location: Libya

Postby Ruthymon » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:50 pm

Well, the "generic"-ness of songs are slowly fading, but it's still there sadly.....
User avatar
Ruthymon
Superstar
 
Posts: 7559
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005

Postby toni_pest » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:50 pm

Being on a Jessie J album?
:)
User avatar
toni_pest
Coming Soon
 
Posts: 31411
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007

Postby GetBack » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:33 am

Mostly pop or dance artists are easily judged as sounding generic, because they are in the mainstream now and are very popular with general audiences, but a lot of R&B artists today are becoming more generic as well, many have been trying to recreate the old Michael Jackson and Motown sound for quite some time now, which isn't just generic but way too unoriginal.
User avatar
GetBack
Legend
 
Posts: 27185
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010
Location: Philippines

Return to General Music Discussion