BoyBands- The Appreciation Thread

Moderators: biscuits, tdc2000

Postby Wolfsmagik » Sun May 13, 2012 1:53 pm

An appreciation thread to discuss all things about the love or your like for boybands. :P
Last edited by Wolfsmagik on Sun May 13, 2012 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wolfsmagik
Manager

Postby Tripolis » Sun May 13, 2012 2:10 pm

I never liked Boybands, till recently when One Direction drew my attention.

Even though some may say they are "overrated" and whatsoever, I really do like 1D and I can even say that they are probably my favourite boyband. Before 1D, I knew about Maroon 5 - but... I wasn't that interested in them until a few months ago.

Now, I do really like boybands and their synergy (if that's what its called) really distinguishes themselves from other artists.

1D is now my 3rd most-played artist on last.fm, after my two favourite artists of all-time (Mariah Carey and Beyoncé). Maroon 5 has been my jam ever since, and is my 14th played artist on last.fm. "Payphone" is one of my favourite songs thus far this year, and is probably one of my favourite songs ever by a boyband. "Payphone" also made me re-discover their old songs, and I realized how amazing they were ("Never Gonna Leave This Bed", "Won't Go Home Without You", "If I Never See Your Face Again", "Makes Me Wonder").

Coldplay is decent, but I haven't really been able to get into them bar a few songs ("Fix You", "Yellow", "Paradise").
Tripolis
Manager

Postby GetBack » Sun May 13, 2012 2:24 pm

Tripolis wrote:"Payphone" is one of my favourite songs thus far this year, and is probably one of my favourite songs ever by a boyband. "Payphone" also made me re-discover their old songs, and I realized how amazing they were ("Never Gonna Leave This Bed", "Won't Go Home Without You", "If I Never See Your Face Again", "Makes Me Wonder").

Coldplay is decent, but I haven't really been able to get into them bar a few songs ("Fix You", "Yellow", "Paradise").
I don't think Maroon5 and Coldplay are considered as boybands. :wink:
GetBack
Legend

Postby Wolfsmagik » Sun May 13, 2012 2:35 pm

Please remember that this is an appreciation thread. :wink:
Wolfsmagik
Manager

Postby Jonathan » Sun May 13, 2012 2:39 pm

Maroon 5 and Coldplay boybands? :lol:

NKOTB are one of my guilty pleasures. I still listen to Step by Step, Tonight, Cover Girl, from time to time.
Jonathan
Superstar

Postby GetBack » Sun May 13, 2012 2:55 pm

New Kids on the Block's The Block is an amazing pop album! I love it! I was born during their career highs so I never got to listen to their songs nor experience their eras, however, I really enjoyed this 2008 comeback effort from them. :D :D
GetBack
Legend

Postby stevyy » Sun May 13, 2012 4:41 pm

i want to emphasize on Take That's status as the best boyband ever because they all play instruments and write 99% of their songs themselves. how rare is that? Those are all qualities of great bands. :lol:

i think boybands that emerged after the 90's are not as great as the 90's ones, the only exception might be Blue. Take That, BSB and probably Nsync were real movements. But even the 90's had some bland flaws which had the occasional hit then and when like worlds apart or caught in the act.

i also have to admit that i always prefered boybands over girlgroups. I mean the Spice Girls were amazing but they never had the same impact.

one last note on Take That. They started out as a fabricated act for teenage girls but since 2006 their core market are 30-40 year old women. They truely evolve and that's what made them the biggest selling british act of the past 6 years (in the UK).
The 5 artists I knew first in my life were: Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Take That and Elton John
stevyy
Legend

Postby Wayne » Sun May 13, 2012 4:54 pm

Hmm, some of the big 90's boybands made some fantastic music - I think that sometimes we forget just how big the boybands were, as we get lost amongst the girl power movement and the rise of the divas.
I am a recovering
Anxiety addict
A broken perfectionist
Somewhat erratic

Recovering - Céline Dion.
Wayne
Legend

Postby GetBack » Sun May 13, 2012 4:56 pm

I think there will always be boyband eras. I never expected the rise of One Direction and The Wanted in the USA charts to ever happen!
GetBack
Legend

Postby Wolfsmagik » Sun May 13, 2012 8:01 pm

GetBack wrote:I think there will always be boyband eras. I never expected the rise of One Direction and The Wanted in the USA charts to ever happen!
Me neither. :lol:
Wolfsmagik
Manager

Postby Wolfsmagik » Sun May 13, 2012 8:02 pm

Im glad boybands are topping the charts again. Max from The Wanted said they dont like being called a boyband. Theyre one though. They should just embrace. Nsync, BSB, Take That, Westlife, Five, Blue and Boyzone did.
Wolfsmagik
Manager

Postby Mike_54 » Sun May 13, 2012 8:08 pm

Wolfsmagik wrote:Max from The Wanted said they dont like being called a boyband.
Max loves to talk way too much :P
Mike_54
Manager

Postby NothingFails » Sun May 13, 2012 9:46 pm

Coldplay and Maroon 5? Are all all-male groups boybands? :lol:
NothingFails
Legend

Postby Wolfsmagik » Sun May 13, 2012 9:52 pm

NothingFails wrote:Coldplay and Maroon 5? Are all all-male groups boybands? :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Wolfsmagik
Manager

Postby GetBack » Mon May 14, 2012 1:12 am

Wolfsmagik wrote:Max from The Wanted said they dont like being called a boyband. Theyre one though. They should just embrace.
They have no choice but to accept that because they are one! :P :lol: :lol:
GetBack
Legend

Postby jpguy » Mon May 14, 2012 1:38 am

The Korean boybands are really good like Super Junior and the guys from TVX! (they disbanded though).
::: BTS - EXO - Blackpink - Utada - Ayumi - BoA :::
jpguy
Legend

Postby RunDevilRun » Mon May 14, 2012 5:50 am

jpguy wrote:The Korean boybands are really good like Super Junior and the guys from TVX! (they disbanded though).
This. Korean boybands are the best I have seen. Western groups can't even get close.
to the infinity and Beyoncé.
RunDevilRun
Manager

Postby NoAngels » Mon May 14, 2012 7:53 am

Backstreet Boys is the best boyband pop music has ever known imo.

I also like *NSYNC and Blue as well as some other bands, but they can't come close to BSB.

The new bands like The Wanted, One Direction are just a modern copy of these popular bands.
Don't Worry, Cause You're Really Not That Hard to Replace.
NoAngels
Superstar

Postby GetBack » Mon May 14, 2012 8:01 am

I really love One Direction's "One Thing" right now. It does echo a modern day "I Want It That Way" though. :)
GetBack
Legend

Postby musiclover2174 » Mon May 14, 2012 9:04 am

RunDevilRun wrote:
jpguy wrote:The Korean boybands are really good like Super Junior and the guys from TVX! (they disbanded though).
This. Korean boybands are the best I have seen. Western groups can't even get close.
+1
Can we recover, will the world ever be
A place of peace and harmony?
With no war and with no brutality
musiclover2174
Manager

Postby Loki0012 » Mon May 14, 2012 9:10 am

Wolfsmagik wrote:
NothingFails wrote:Coldplay and Maroon 5? Are all all-male groups boybands? :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Pls dont even call a ROck band such as coldplay a boyband...

you can with M5 :lol:
MY PERSONAL CHARTS
NA NA NA NA OH OH
Loki0012
Superstar

Postby lalalili » Mon May 14, 2012 10:18 am

talking about boybands, westlife just won the MTV's battle of boy bands contest. they easily defeated acts like Jonas Brothers, The wanted, backstreet boys and even the beatles. that was a two weeks of intense matchups and more than 12 million votes. a great way to end their 14 years career =]
lalalili
Roadie

Postby Spartan » Mon May 14, 2012 10:30 am

Take That are clealy the best boyband ever, followed by Blue.

I like that boybands are pretty 'in' at the moment. I also feel like they're getting more credibility than they used to. Before, if you weren't a 10 year-old girl, it was majorly uncool but those barriers aren't as prominent anymore.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Wolfsmagik » Mon May 14, 2012 12:23 pm

Backstreet Boys, Take That, Westlife, Blue and Boyzone are my favorite boybands and the best IMO.
Wolfsmagik
Manager

Postby GetBack » Mon May 14, 2012 3:19 pm

Spartan wrote:Take That are clealy the best boyband ever, followed by Blue.

I like that boybands are pretty 'in' at the moment. I also feel like they're getting more credibility than they used to. Before, if you weren't a 10 year-old girl, it was majorly uncool but those barriers aren't as prominent anymore.
I agree, during the 1980s and 1990s, boybands, girlgroups and pop sensations were seen as guilty pleasures.
GetBack
Legend

Return to Mad About Music