BoyBands- The Appreciation Thread

Moderators: tdc2000, biscuits

Postby crazycool » Mon May 14, 2012 3:35 pm

musiclover2174 wrote:
RunDevilRun wrote:
jpguy wrote:The Korean boybands are really good like Super Junior and the guys from TVX! (they disbanded though).
This. Korean boybands are the best I have seen. Western groups can't even get close.
+1
Completely agree! I can't even watch a performance from a UK/US boyband now, it just doesn't compare IMO.
crazycool
Legend

Postby GetBack » Mon May 14, 2012 3:57 pm

Hmmm...I guess I'm part of the minority. I am so sick of the Korean and Japanese boybands nowadays, they're all over MTV Asia and Channel [V], even in the local Philippine music channels, all their videos are shown 24/7...I couldn't even distinguish which one's which anymore, (I wasn't trying to be racist or anything with that comment, considering I'm Asian myself :lol: :lol:) it's like they're all the same, great colorful hi-tech dance videos, catchy beat, Western urban 'swag', strong synchronized choreography, different hairstyles, etc. :-? :cry: :cry:
GetBack
Legend

Postby jpguy » Mon May 14, 2012 4:23 pm

@GETBACK: LOL, IKR... they all look the same (as well, not a racist comment here) but they dance better, sing better, have better videos... when you look at their Korean sales , it's like the maximum they can sell is like 100K maybe for those album, yet the performances, videos, and all of that is much, much, MUCH better than the Western boybands...
I mean, we have ONE DIRECTION, we had the JONAS BROTHERS, now THE WANTED, what else?
Nothing good or original IMO.
::: Shinin', shinin', just like a DIAMOND, blindin' blindin' :::
jpguy
Legend

Postby Titan3510 » Mon May 14, 2012 4:27 pm

Can someone please define what exactly is a boy band?

Because it's confusing: couldn't groups like Nirvana, Coldplay and Maroon 5 be "boy bands?"
I can feel this light that's inside of me, growing fast into a bolt of lightning. I know one spark will shock the world...
--Katy Perry
Titan3510
Superstar

Postby GetBack » Mon May 14, 2012 6:18 pm

jpguy wrote:@GETBACK: LOL, IKR... they all look the same (as well, not a racist comment here) but they dance better, sing better, have better videos... when you look at their Korean sales , it's like the maximum they can sell is like 100K maybe for those album, yet the performances, videos, and all of that is much, much, MUCH better than the Western boybands...
I mean, we have ONE DIRECTION, we had the JONAS BROTHERS, now THE WANTED, what else?
I think they do dance better and have better videos, but they lack something that will make them stand out when they are pitted against each other, I think they lack the "pop soul" and identity, and the X-factor to shine and stand out. With One Direction, The Wanted, and the earlier 1990s boybands, their voices are very distinct, their harmonies are outstanding, and their songs are different each time. With K-Pop and J-Pop, they're like all the same prototype, the videos are all futuristic and they show off their different hairstyles and colorful outfits (and the fittest of the fit show off their bodies), the songs are always dance/R&B with full choreography, and it's like they can exchange members and still be the same group and go unnoticed! I think that's just me, I don't know.. :-? :-?

Titan3510 wrote:Can someone please define what exactly is a boy band?
Boybands are vocal groups that have boy-next-door or bad boy image, that sing and dance about pop love songs most of the time. They are marketed to the teen female demographic and their music is mostly either uptempo or ballad songs.
GetBack
Legend

Postby jpguy » Mon May 14, 2012 6:24 pm

GetBack wrote:
jpguy wrote:@GETBACK: LOL, IKR... they all look the same (as well, not a racist comment here) but they dance better, sing better, have better videos... when you look at their Korean sales , it's like the maximum they can sell is like 100K maybe for those album, yet the performances, videos, and all of that is much, much, MUCH better than the Western boybands...
I think they do dance better and have better videos, but they lack something that will make them stand out when they are pitted against each other, I think they lack the "pop soul" and identity, and the X-factor to shine and stand out. With One Direction, The Wanted, and the earlier 1990s boybands, their voices are very distinct, their harmonies are outstanding, and their songs are different each time. With K-Pop and J-Pop, they're like all the same prototype, the videos are all futuristic and they show off their different hairstyles and colorful outfits (and the fittest of the fit show off their bodies), the songs are always dance/R&B with full choreography, and it's like they can exchange members and still be the same group and go unnoticed! I think that's just me, I don't know.. :-? :-?

Boybands are vocal groups that have boy-next-door or bad boy image, that sing and dance about pop love songs most of the time. They are marketed to the teen female demographic and their music is mostly either uptempo or ballad songs.
Well. ... that , I agree with!!!
::: Shinin', shinin', just like a DIAMOND, blindin' blindin' :::
jpguy
Legend

Postby Dior » Mon May 14, 2012 7:54 pm

Backstreet Boys will always be the best boy band ever but out of the new boy bands...

JLS >>>>

A lot of there music is cheap and corny but honestly that's exactly what I'm looking for from a boy band!
Bsquared wrote:I hate to disagree with you @Dior because you are so handsome.
Dior
Manager

Postby Guru » Tue May 15, 2012 10:53 am

Backstreet Boys - there music sounds current
Westlife - I think they're corny now but they really made good music back then
5ive - an odd selection for me but I appreciated the music they made
Blue - I could say I grew up with them! Such find memories and probably my favourite from all of the above!!! Love love love them!!! If You Come Back is my fave song of theirs!!!

I don't think NSync contributed enough to be on the HIT list for me.
98 degrees could have given us more too!
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby lalalili » Tue May 15, 2012 11:33 am

my all time legends are obviously Westlife.
second are 5ive, the only boyband i have seen live and the first one that i truly loved, their music was very different from the usual boyband material.
backstreet boys are at third place. i mostly like their songs from 'Backstreet's back' and 'Millennium', the older stuff.
next are Boyzone, the first time i have ever noticed a boyband was them. even though most of their singles are cover versions, some of their originals are really amazing, such as "Picture of you" and "Everyday i love you", Ronan Keating is a very talented guy.
i also enjoy boybands like Blue and Take That but non in the same level as the above. the only Take That song that i truly like is "Back for good" and the others are OK too, but i can't find this emotional attachment with their music like with Westlife ballads.
lalalili
Roadie

Postby Guru » Tue May 15, 2012 11:36 am

lalalili wrote:my all time legends are obviously Westlife.
second are 5ive, the only boyband i have seen live and the first one that i truly loved, their music was very different from the usual boyband material.
backstreet boys are at third place. i mostly like their songs from 'Backstreet's back' and 'Millennium', the older stuff.
next are Boyzone, the first time i have ever noticed a boyband was them. even though most of their singles are cover versions, some of their originals are really amazing, such as "Picture of you" and "Everyday i love you", Ronan Keating is a very talented guy.
i also enjoy boybands like Blue and Take That but non in the same level as the above. the only Take That song that i truly like is "Back for good" and the others are OK too, but i can't find this emotional attachment with their music like with Westlife ballads.
Boy zone were good but kinda suicidal!!! At least Westlife brought some uptempo's along the way!!!
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby stevyy » Tue May 15, 2012 12:47 pm

so what do you think are each boybands signature songs or what is your favourite song by them?

Take That: Never Forget

Backstreet Boys: Larger than Life

Blue: Breathe Easy <3

O-Town: love should be a crime

Westlife: when you're looking like that

Boyzone: a different beat <3 <3

Nsync: Gone, This I promise you
stevyy
Legend

Postby Titan3510 » Tue May 15, 2012 3:00 pm

GetBack wrote:
So groups like Jodeci, Boyz II Men and the Temptations apply, right?
I can feel this light that's inside of me, growing fast into a bolt of lightning. I know one spark will shock the world...
--Katy Perry
Titan3510
Superstar

Postby GetBack » Tue May 15, 2012 3:26 pm

Titan3510 wrote:
GetBack wrote:
So groups like Jodeci, Boyz II Men and the Temptations apply, right?
Yes. :D
GetBack
Legend

Postby Titan3510 » Tue May 15, 2012 3:39 pm

In that case...

Jodeci and Boyz II Men >>>>>>>>> the lessers

The Temptations are in a league of their own.

Do you guys need receipts?
--Katy Perry
Titan3510
Superstar

Postby GetBack » Fri May 18, 2012 6:18 pm

Happy 13th Anniversary to Millennium, the most successful boyband album of all time! :D :D
GetBack
Legend

Postby stevyy » Fri May 18, 2012 6:23 pm

On May 8th 2012, this album turned 17 years old. It still is one of my alltime favourite albums. It features one of the best songs of all times, Never Forget:

It was one of the first albums, I ever bought.
stevyy
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Fri May 18, 2012 6:25 pm

On a strictly musical level, I'll take The Wanted and One Direction over the late 90's teen boybands. What people want from boybands is cheesy guilty pleasure pop music, not ballads. BSB were basically selling Michael Bolton to the daughters of the mothers who loved Michael Bolton. They weren't uptempo enough for my liking. Glad You Came and What Makes You Beautiful are what I want and expect from a boyband, not endless ballads.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby GetBack » Fri May 18, 2012 6:26 pm

stevyy really wants to steal my boyband posts thunder! :roll: :x

:oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
GetBack
Legend

Postby stevyy » Fri May 18, 2012 8:28 pm

GetBack wrote:stevyy really wants to steal my boyband posts thunder! :roll: :x

:oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Take That were The Beatles of the 90's. :lol:

worship is not enough.. and from all the boybands that are still alive, they actually sell the most records now. :lol:
stevyy
Legend

Postby GetBack » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:56 am

I am listening right now to Five! The first non-US boyband to chart in the Hot 100 (peaking at #10 with their single "When the Lights Go Out"). :)
GetBack
Legend

Postby stevyy » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:57 pm

I listened to Blue's Roulette.. it's so-so album.. too many fillers.
stevyy
Legend

Postby Shorty » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:01 am

How did I miss this thread originally? :o

I love boybands :D

Well, my all time favourite boybands are Blue and Five, of course.

I may be in the miniority, but I always thought the UK had much better boybands then the USA. I was never a huge fan of BSB and NSYNC, but I've always been a gigantic Five & Blue fan.
I've now met Dean Ambrose FOUR TIMES - 28/03/15, 02/04/16, 20/08/16 & 01/04/17!!
Shorty
Resident WWE Fan

Postby Wolfsmagik » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:03 pm

My old thread being brought up again. :D I always preferred UK/foreign boybands over the American ones too. My faves are Blue, Five, Westlife, BSB, NSYNC, Boyzone, Human Nature, Worlds Apart, D-Side, D'Nash, BBMak and C21.
Wolfsmagik
Manager

Postby zs3088 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:44 pm

stevyy wrote:I listened to Blue's Roulette.. it's so-so album.. too many fillers.
I agree with you... it has some nice midtempo songs like Hurt Lovers, Without You, All I Need, Risk It All and Black Box, but I hate that they went with generic dance lame songs like Paradise and We've Got Tonight, Sing For Me. And I absolutely hate Heart on a Sleeve because they used auto-tune - why?! Why use that when they have great voices?
zs3088
Roadie

Postby zs3088 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:00 pm

My favorite boyband is definitely Westlife. This is the only boyband I truly followed - I know every song they ever recorded and I have all of their DVDs - and was gutted when they disbanded. The reason I liked them so much because Shane and Mark have incredible voices, while all of them make great harmonies. Also, they were great live performers.

It saddens me that their management forced them to release so many covers and I know they absolutely hated to do that - there was no need to release 2 themed albums The Love album and Allow Us To Be Frank and I think because of it, general public started to hate them and mock them all the time. It is a shame that the public also never got introduced to their last 2 albums which were the best in my opinion - I will never understand why Syco didn't allow them to release 4-5 singles from the albums instead of only 1 per album.

Besides Westlife, I like Blue. Plus, the other day I listened to Nsync album Celebrity and I was actually surprised how much I liked it :D

I don't like Take That because none of them have outstanding vocal abilities like Shane and Mark from Westlife.

I really don't like One direction because they are so overrated by the media - they are alright singers, but nothing special. I hate the fact that they are praised so much, when on the other hand, the media ALWAYS had such nasty comments about Westlife.
zs3088
Roadie

Return to General Music Discussion