Where did it all go wrong for EMINEM?

Moderators: biscuits, JSparksFan, tdc2000

Postby stevyy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:54 pm

Tansike wrote:I think the lead single didn't click with the public, plus "River" may be a hit, but doesn't spark interest into the album and is more like a single seller instead of an album seller...
putting Ed Sheeran on his song was a mistake bc nobody of his original fanbase would enjoy that.
stevyy
Legend

Postby GetBack » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:39 pm

Natural decline. There will be new and younger rappers who have other things to rap about.

Not to mention, he picked the wrong lead single and the wrong artist to collaborate with. :-? :-?

Never saw so much hate for an Eminem lead single ever! :oops: :oops: :oops:
Carey like Mariah.
GetBack
Legend

Postby MrLeonix » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:32 pm

Commercially speaking nothing really went "wrong" with him. It was more of a natural and perhaps overdue decline for him, thats all.

Why? He's aging, he's been for 20 years in the business, there are new generations, the market has collapsed etc. But I think he's pulling fine numbers overall especially outside the US and he just announced a Stadium European Tour which I'm sure will sell out.

I do think his music quality has been going down hill since "Encore" (2004) tho.
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby joiPrince_JO » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:49 pm

-Overwhelmingly negative image in the eyes of pretty much everyone outside of his fan base
-Stays away from the public eye for too long
-Doesn't tour, no connection to his fans
-Doesn't really promote
Girls' Generation
HyoYeonBritney Spears

Girls' Generation is the best-selling girl group of all time.
joiPrince_JO
Legend

Postby menime123 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:57 pm

Basically he announced his retirement then went MIA for a few years and music moved on. He hasn’t really has anything interesting to say since he came back anyway, and hasn’t come anywhere near as good. Before he didn’t need a feature - his features complemented his songs (Stan). But now he needs his features because without them...
Girls Aloud: only 4 years left of my decade long signature countdown to my dream 20th anniversary reunion tour...
menime123
Legend

Postby heppolo » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:06 pm

in fact, he stopped looking and sounding likeable, sincere and relatable, especially for the core fanbase. the whole era feels so forced, the whole thing with ''Revival'' looks like a 9 to 5 day job, rather than a creative process
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:09 pm

When he attempted to take down Mariah.

Haha I’m just kidding. I don’t know enough about Eminem to really comment.
How about you Get the F*** Out.
SummerPeur
Legend

Postby Hugo » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:30 pm

GetBack wrote:Natural decline. There will be new and younger rappers who have other things to rap about.

Not to mention, he picked the wrong lead single and the wrong artist to collaborate with. :-? :-?

Never saw so much hate for an Eminem lead single ever! :oops: :oops: :oops:
I've never seen anyone try so hard to make Beyoncé sound like some basic act you'd find on the 12th page of the pure pop subforum :lol: I've lost count of all the comments now buddy, but I can appreciate an effort, even if it's imbecile.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Beautyisbeauty » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:36 pm

As harsh as it might sound, I think his musical output started to decline once he got over his addictions. To me, he´s always come across as one of those artists that need to be "in pain" to really deliver, musically speaking.
Beauty is beauty, whether is black or white
Beautyisbeauty
Personal Assistant

Postby MusicLover88 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:13 pm

MrLeonix wrote:Commercially speaking nothing really went "wrong" with him. It was more of a natural and perhaps overdue decline for him, thats all.
Yes. I'm amazed at his longevity. Even now in certain European markets.
Unlike other things that wither, she preserves. She’s a constant in a world of relentless flux. She’s a beacon of immortality. Bitch, she’s Madonna.
MusicLover88
Superstar

Postby NothingFails » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:18 pm

I do find it interesting so many Trump supporters are mad at him now... are these people who liked him for the homophobic and misogynistic lyrics and are now upset to find out that was all a rouse?
NothingFails
Legend

Postby MrLeonix » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:53 pm

Beautyisbeauty wrote:As harsh as it might sound, I think his musical output started to decline once he got over his addictions. To me, he´s always come across as one of those artists that need to be "in pain" to really deliver, musically speaking.
While he's the biggest act from his generation he was also the one who creatively / musically peaked the fastest among all of his peers.

By 2002 that guy had already peaked music-quality wise, his first 3 albums + "8 mile" are truly a gem ahead of anyone from his time, but ever since "Encore" his albums and music have been declining in quality a lot and progressively.

He started releasing his greatest works and material right away within his first albums while most of his peers didn't release their best material until the mid or even late of their careers.

NothingFails wrote:I do find it interesting so many Trump supporters are mad at him now... are these people who liked him for the homophobic and misogynistic lyrics and are now upset to find out that was all a rouse?
Actually whats even more surprising and weird is that Eminem isn't a Trump supporter and republican. He seemed to be that kind of closed-mind guy who would support Trump and most of his fanbase seemed to be that way, so I guess it was a total shock and dissappointment for many that he turned out to be democrat, pretty liberal, Anti-Trump and ... A Hillary supporter? That kinda broke that misogynist, angry and tough image he had into the eyes of many of his fans who loved that side of him. He is now seen as a sensitive pro-liberal who collaborates with Ed Sheeran and Rihanna.
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby Ewokguy15 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:16 am

His music stopped being fun and his beats are tired.
Ewokguy15
Superstar

Postby BlueScorpion » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:04 am

Never really respected amongst the elite Hip Hop community. Feud with Mariah Carey, she dealt with him properly, though. :lol: Too weirdo and contradictory. His mocking of Michael Jackson kinda backfired at him at the time. Dated beats and horrible singing voice as of late. Seen like a cartoon due to plastic surgery.
Hot like the real fever (the real Diva)
So successful yet still so eager
BlueScorpion
Superstar

Postby heppolo » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:41 am

MrLeonix wrote: "8 mile" are truly a gem ahead of anyone from his time
of anyone in the U.S.
As strange as it might sound, UK hip-hop (esp. The Streets) was stylistically (beats, no flow) ahead from the get-go.
heppolo
Legend

Postby biscuits » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:33 am

BlueScorpion wrote:Never really respected amongst the elite Hip Hop community. Feud with Mariah Carey, she dealt with him properly, though. :lol: Too weirdo and contradictory. His mocking of Michael Jackson kinda backfired at him at the time. Dated beats and horrible singing voice as of late. Seen like a cartoon due to plastic surgery.
I don’t thunk his feud with Mariah or mocking of MJ had any impact on his career or reputation at all
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Goldmoney » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:54 am

heppolo wrote:
MrLeonix wrote: "8 mile" are truly a gem ahead of anyone from his time
of anyone in the U.S.
As strange as it might sound, UK hip-hop (esp. The Streets) was stylistically (beats, no flow) ahead from the get-go.
Gurl no
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby clh_hilary » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:35 pm

His fans were the angry white men who voted for Trump. He asked to choose between him and Trump. They chose Trump.

Simples.
WhatTheHell wrote:Voice of the truth here!! :(
clh_hilary
Manager

Postby SummerPeur » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:04 am

clh_hilary wrote: They chose Trump.

Simples.
Ok, clam down Hilary. :lol:

Spoiler:
How about you Get the F*** Out.
SummerPeur
Legend

Postby GetBack » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:13 am

clh_hilary wrote:His fans were the angry white men who voted for Trump. He asked to choose between him and Trump. They chose Trump.

Simples.
That too! :o :o :o
Carey like Mariah.
GetBack
Legend

Postby clh_hilary » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:17 am

SummerPeur wrote:Ok, clam down Hilary. :lol:

Spoiler:
If Taylor Swift demands her fanatics to do the same, it will happen to her too.
clh_hilary
Manager

Postby Loki0012 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:54 am

Tansike wrote:I think the lead single didn't click with the public, plus "River" may be a hit, but doesn't spark interest into the album and is more like a single seller instead of an album seller...
i think people just buy the song because of Ed and his hook was all over the song. Ems part? not really

Plus we might have a new generation Eminem and his name is NF, whos slowly taking off and his raps are real and has so much aggression Eminem lacks now and they are from the same place Michigan haha.
MY PERSONAL CHARTS
NA NA NA NA OH OH
Loki0012
Superstar

Postby heppolo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:35 am

clh_hilary wrote:His fans were the angry white men
:D
What about women?
heppolo
Legend

Postby clh_hilary » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:22 pm

heppolo wrote:
clh_hilary wrote:His fans were the angry white men
:D
What about women?
There are women who voted for His Excellency The Governor of Russian America, and it's not like Em has sold 0 copy this time around, so some people did choose him.
clh_hilary
Manager

Return to General Music Discussion