Tarja - From Spirits And Ghosts (Score For A Dark Christmas)

Moderator: tdc2000

Postby Mainshow » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:21 pm

Tansike wrote:^ Funny you say that as i just ordered the album plus the "An Empty Dream" EP from her store :lol: :oops:

#truefan
The things in the store are pretty cool. I mean, if I supported this release, I would clearly buy something.

Why didn't you get the Graphic Novel for you?
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Tansike » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:22 pm

^ i just bought tickets for Imagine Dragons and Evanescence, plus i booked some vacation and there are super many upcoming releases which i'd like to buy physically as well, so i need to look after my money :lol: :oops:
Tansike
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:25 pm

Tansike wrote:^ i just bought tickets for Imagine Dragons and Evanescence, plus i booked some vacation and there are super many upcoming releases which i'd like to buy physically as well, so i need to look after my money :lol: :oops:
Fck, I have no money either :( Need to check for Evanescence tickets.. even though I didn't like their last album & I am not a fan of the project, it would be nice to see them live.
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Tansike » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:29 pm

^ oh 'nice' to hear we're in the same boat then :lol: :oops:

They're definitely worth it IMO. They're touring with an orchestra, that must be pretty awesome! 8-)

Anyways, that's kinda OT :oops:
Tansike
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:32 pm

Tansike wrote:^ oh 'nice' to hear we're in the same boat then :lol: :oops:

They're definitely worth it IMO. They're touring with an orchestra, that must be pretty awesome! 8-)

Anyways, that's kinda OT :oops:
Dunno.
Just found out that The Killers, Hurts, Faun, Evanescence are all comin'. WTF :D

Anyway, I can't wait to listen to Tarja singing German!
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Tansike » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:48 pm

^ oh they are all touring as well - wow! :o (Faun touring? Probably new album ahead of us then?)

Well, i already heard her singing 'Stille Nacht' live two years ago and it was sooo good :cry:
Tansike
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:50 pm

And how was her pronunciation? :D

Album Teaser :D
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Tansike » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:47 am

^ really good, but she also studied in Germany for some time iirc so her german is better than one may think.

Haven't you seen this?

Tansike
Legend

Postby Tansike » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:32 pm

Next Friday, on October 6th, the wait is finally over and you will be able to listen to the first song from my new winter album "from Spirits and Ghost (score for a dark Christmas)".
I hope you like my version of "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel"!
This Christmas, expect the unexpected.
An exclusive, limited to 1.000 copies worldwide 7inch single can already be preordered via the Official Store for a dark Christmas:
https://tarja.tmstor.es
Can't wait - i really love the cover for the single! Though i have to admit i'm slightly disappointed we don't get the original / new song as the first single.
Tansike
Legend

Postby Tansike » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:59 am

"Come, O Come, Emmanuel" is out now and it's already above my expectations, such a beautiful song to open this era. Couldn't sleep last night and it was perfect to listen to during that moment <3
Tansike
Legend

Postby Tansike » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:28 pm

The last scene is sooo creepy!
Tansike
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:50 pm

I'm surprised. This is incredibly beautifully eerie!
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Tansike » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:19 am

Mainshow wrote:I'm surprised. This is incredibly beautifully eerie!
YESSS :cry:

Very happy to hear you like this that much as well! I'm so blown away. I was afraid we would get a 'boring' christmas album which is only listenable during christmas, but i'm so impressed by the first track and it's on heavy rotation for me since friday :cry:
Tansike
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:45 am

I'm blown away as well and this track is a game changer for me, tbh. Now I am seriously looking forward to getting to know the rest of the album.

I expected something cheesy and of less quality. But the created atmosphere is stunning and you can clearly listen to this track through the whole year. It's not very "Carol-esque". I am impressed.
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Tansike » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:26 am

"O Tannenbaum" is out now!

It's good, but has something funny about it... maybe just because i'm not used to hear Tarja singing in German. The instrumental is quite pompous, probably even a bit too much. Need to give it some more spins, but so far "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel" is definitely the better one.

Also, maybe it's just me, but i find it weird that the first two singles both start with a simple 'O' in their song titles :lol:
Tansike
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:43 pm

The first reviews are out and they are amazing!

So again, why should you listen to this album? Because Tarja, backed by an orchestra that never reaches peak decibels, allows her beautiful voice to carry the listener into this darkness, this alternate, ancient world of Christmas. And yet, in the end, you feel uplifted. Powerful tribal rhythms are heard on “We Three Kings,” one of the many standouts here. Her version of “Deck the Halls” is by far the creepiest ever on record, sounding like it could’ve been on “The Nightmare Before Christmas” or “Interview With a Vampire” soundtrack. “God Rest Ye” is reworked into what is basically an orchestrated Nightwish song through and through, bringing tidings of comfort and joy.

This truly plays out as a score to a film, songs building and climaxing, but Tarja is the centerpiece. This is one of the best performances I’ve heard from her. This is certainly the darkest and maybe the most memorable Christmas recording from anyone associated with metal.
source: livemetalblog.wordpress.com

What we do have is some dark, atmospheric, classical music that sometimes boarders on creepy. [...]
If Tim Burton did a dark Christmas movie, this would definitely be the soundtrack for it.

I must admit I am a fan or Tarja which makes this hard for me to review. It is not a metal album in any way, but if you just listen to it based on music and vocals it is absolutely stunning. I almost wish it was not a Christmas album so it would be something I would listen to year round. For some of us, we might any way. If you must have metal music on an album this is not for you. If you can appreciate great classical music, done in a dark atmospheric way with some of the best vocals you will hear this album is a must have. It is very rare you come across a release that is truly unique like this one. I know I would rather listen to Christmas music done this way, than the traditional way.
source: yesterdazenews.com
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Tansike » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:58 pm

So she just confirmed "Together" (the only original track) won't be the 3rd single :o :-?
Tansike
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:15 pm

This album is brilliant. I can't stop listening to it! It's beautiful, eerie and totally different to anything she has ever done before. It fits her voice so perfectly!

I don't mind that "Together" won't be a proper single since it's not part of the best tracks of the album.
Apart from two tracks which are a bit too cheesy and "artifically bombastic" for me, I think she did an excellent job and the whole concept of the album is well-thought.

My favourites so far are:

"O Come, O Come, Emmanuel"
"Deck The Halls"
"Pie Jesu"
"O Tannenbaum"
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:54 pm

New music video! - "O Tannenbaum" is so effing amazing <3

#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Tansike » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:58 am

On one side i'm freaking happy that you enjoy this album so much, Mainshow, and that Tarja finally impressed you (again) with her stuff!

On the other side... i'm not feeling it as much as i wish i would :oops: It's not bad obviously, but all her releases since "Act I" (even "Ave Maria" and "Luna Park Ride") were huge events for me, while "From Spirits And Ghosts" isn't so far. "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel" remains the best track by far after a few spins. Here's hope i get more into it within the next four to five weeks :)
Tansike
Legend

Return to Rock & Alternative