Anette Olzon & Jani Liimatainen - The Dark Element

Moderator: tdc2000

Postby Tansike » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:30 pm

The DARK ELEMENT is a new musical project fronted by the former Nightwish vocalist Anette Olzon together with Finnish guitarist and songwriter Jani Liimatainen.
The album will most likely come out on the 10th november (they have this under release date on the facebook page, nothing confirmed so far though), a first single is probably already coming out by tomorrow. The already shot at least two videos.

Anette's solo debut "Shine" is one or even the most favorite album of all time for me, so i'm very excited for this project. It'll be harder than "Shine" from the pics they released and the stuff they were talking about though, and the cover looks hella cheesy (why the 'Olzon' so big?), so i'm afraid i may be disappointed in the end. But new Anette is always good, so can't wait!
Tansike
Legend

Postby Tansike » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:14 am

Just checked Apple Music and the first track is really out now :o

It's the title track, and the artist is called "The Dark element" as well (ugh, i'll rename it). The song is hot, but nothing that blows me away. A mixture of the NW sound and 80s Rock i'd say.
Tansike
Legend

Postby Tansike » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:32 am

Love it!
Tansike
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:58 am

Mmh. It left me cold, tbh.
I don't dislike it but it lacks the eerie beauty of NW and it sounds more like an album filler track of Avantasia if you ask me.

I will definitely check out the album, though.
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Cmyk » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:07 pm

Surprised by your opinions. Verses are very strong and chorus is absolutely catchy. Very melodical. What's more Anettes vocals sound really great she actually shines in some moments. Really love the middle 8 part with guitar solo. Amazing 1st single. Didn't expect that at all. Sounds like Nightwish mixed with Sonata and even Therion sometimes.
Cmyk
Manager

Postby Mainshow » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:03 pm

Ok - love this now :D
This is too **** catchy and I love the instrumental
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Tansike » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:35 pm

^ Oh wow, glad to hear this! :D

The next song is already premiering next monday, alongside its music video.

Here's a snippet from Facebook

Sounds promising! :)
Tansike
Legend

Postby Tansike » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:38 am

"My Sweet Mystery" is out now!

I'm having it on repeat since 90 minutes and gosh, it's so brilliant! The melody of the instrumental (the intro for example) is very "Storytime", but that's more like a plus to me. The chorus is so, so good. Wow, Anette is definitely back at doing symphonic metal, and on this she's doing it better than NW did it on EFMB IMO :o
Tansike
Legend

Postby Tansike » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:28 pm

[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=9&v=ZKd6GfzpvdY[/YouTube]
Tansike
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:49 pm

Wow! This is another great track, the instrumental/arrangement is epic but the cheesy lyrics are a bit cringe-worthy at some time; anyway, the melody is brilliant, it's very uplifting and energetic and I can't believe Anette is FINALLY serving us some great Symphonic Metal with this project! 

I prefer the previously released track but both songs are great! I will definitely buy the album!
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:28 pm

"Here's To You" is out on Apple Music & Spotify.
Since it already got leaked, The Dark Element decided to release it prior its scheduled release! - Another great track! It's a 3/3 so far. Hope the rest of the album is as good as the tracks we already know.
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Tansike » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:53 am

Woah, 3/3 for me too! This seems to be a contender for album of the year now :o
Tansike
Legend

Postby Tansike » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:16 pm

The next song is already coming next week :lol:

By the time of the album release we will already know all tracks if it continues like this :lol:
Tansike
Legend

Postby Tansike » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:12 pm

"Dead To Me" is the fourth released track, and i love it as well!

Not as strong as "My Sweet Mystery" and "Here's To You" on first listen but yet another track which is catchy symphonic metal at its best. Here comes the album of the year, i guess.

Oh and it includes some male growls!
Tansike
Legend

Postby Tansike » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:03 pm

Tansike
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:42 am

I am glad the fourth track doesn't disappoint you either.

I stopped listening to their songs so that I will be fully excited at the time of the album's release but it may turn out to be one of my favourite records of 2017 if the rest of the album id as good as the songs we already know.
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Tansike » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:17 am

Probably a good decision, as i think we will even get a fifth song prior the album release, as it's still a month away and we already got four tracks so soon.

Anyways, i'm sooo excited for this album. All four tracks are massive, i'm impressed!

The title track remains my least favorite one though...
Tansike
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:46 pm

The tracklisting has been announced:

1: The Dark Element
2: My Sweet Mystery
3: Last Good Day
4: Here's To You
5: Someone You Used To Know
6: Dead To Me
7: Halo
8: I Cannot Raise The Dead
9: The Ghost And The Reaper
10: Heaven Of Your Heart
11: Only One Who Knows Me
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Tansike » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:35 am

^ the tracklist is actually already known since the album is available for pre-order... :oops:

Four days to go! Can't wait! :D
Tansike
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:07 pm

Oh, I had no clue! I just saw the album on Saturn.de and thought that the tracklisting's new information. My bad.

Any chance there will be a special/deluxe edition of the album?
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Tansike » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:41 pm

Ah yeah it was up on iTunes for a while now :) But i guess you were listening to the track through Spotify?

No idea about that, i don't think so. There's just the standard one, and they also promote it heavily as vinyl.

Anyways, a few more hours to go!! :D
Tansike
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:30 pm

Tansike wrote:Ah yeah it was up on iTunes for a while now :) But i guess you were listening to the track through Spotify?

No idea about that, i don't think so. There's just the standard one, and they also promote it heavily as vinyl.

Anyways, a few more hours to go!! :D
Yeah. I was listening to the three tracks via Spotify and I just put them into my "Symphonic Metal" playlist and didn't look for anything else.

I can't wait to buy the album tomorrow! - My mother is excited as well! She just asked me if Anette is still doing music like last week and I gave her the first two tracks to listen and she started to get angry at me for hiding them that long from her :D :oops:
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Tansike » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:46 am

^ your mother seems really cool 8-)

The album is OUT NOW!

It's really good! Though i must say that it's not as good as i expected, but probably simply because my expectations were too high; i didn't have such high expectations for an album in years. After a first spin i really love "The Ghost And The Reaper", it's on the same level as "My Sweet Mystery", "Dead To Me" and "Here's To You". All other tracks were slightly weaker, but probably because i'm already used to the already known songs. Will take a few more spins and then i'll try to make a proper review...

Meanwhile, i changed Anette's "Shine" Era topic in the Arist Chart Analysis forum to a Charts & Sales History topic, so the chart success for this album can be discussed there :)
Tansike
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:22 pm

You are so lucky!

I went to the CD store in the morning and they told me I have to wait for an hour or so because they didn't get the new releases one day earlier as usual.

Aftee I spent an hour at a café having breakfast, I went to the store again and finally, they had the new released in some packages but they weren't able to find "The Dark Element" :(

I bought three other albums instead but it's kind of sad because I drovr to that store to get that album in the first place.

They will call me if they find the album in ome of those boxes or if the album gets delivered during the day but they said it's a 50/50 chance.
If not, they will order it for me and I can pick it up next week but I don't want to wait :(

It's strange that neither my city nor Düsseldorf got the album. They said it's a very small label and maybe they didn't expect people to ask for the album. I think it will flop.

I am glad you like the album even though you seem to be slightly disappointed.

But since I enjoy "The Dark Element" the most when it comes to the previously released tracks and you didn't mention that song when you compare other tracks on the album...there's a chance that I will be deliciously happy xD
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Tansike » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:49 pm

Aww how annoying :( i hope you get your copy soon, but until then you also can listen to it on the streaming service. I‘m still waiting for the physical album as well but am listening to it through apple Music :wink:

Meanwhile, they just released a video for „The Ghost And The Reaper“, which still is my fave of the non singles :o
Tansike
Legend

Return to Rock & Alternative