Anette Olzon & Jani Liimatainen - The Dark Element

Moderator: tdc2000

Postby Tansike » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:52 pm

Tansike
Legend

Postby Tansike » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:13 am

Okay, this grew on me so massively!

I'd say "Heaven Of Your Heart" is my least favorite song of the album, but even that one is quite good. Apart from the songs which were released prior the album release, "The Ghost And The Reaper" is clearly my favorite track. I used to skip "Someone You Used To Know" on the first 2-3 spins, but now it's up to my faves as well. "Last Good Day" is a great tune too (and Anette's favorite!). While i really like "Halo", "I Cannot Raise The Dead" and "Only One Who Knows Me", these are the tracks which are in the 'middle' for me.

Overall, definitely a contender for the title of 'Album of the Year' !

Unfortunately, Anette already confirmed they don't plan to release other videos for this project (unless it's a success).

@ Mainshow: Really excited to hear your thoughts about this album! :D
Tansike
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:34 pm

I have seen your last.fm profile, Tansike :D #cheatingbitch :D

But I am glad it grew on your massively and that you have started to enjoy this album very much! - Reading that it even has become a serious contender to be crowned your personal album of the year is huge!

I still refuse to listen to anything from the album because I would like to have the whole "album experience". Anyway, I got a phone call 2 hours ago that my copy has arrived! I can pick it up tomorrow! #excited

Any ballads on the album?
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Tansike » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:38 pm

I'm not cheating :lol:

I guess you mean the songs that are added all at the same time? This happens when i listen with my iPhone (like when i'm at work, in the car or under the shower), then everything gets added with the same time (like, if i listen to track X at 5pm and then again at 5.30pm, it gets added twice at 5.30pm instead of once at 5pm and once at 5pm... so if i listen to one song often, there are even more scrobbles at the same time) :wink:

Anyways, yes, two ballads. "Someone You Used To Know" and "Heaven Of Your Heart", though the latter is my least favorite of the album so far.

Really excited to hear your thoughts - and i hope (and am quite sure) you'll enjoy it :wink:
Tansike
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:50 pm

You are clearly cheating, honey :D You do not scrobble the tracks as "The Dark Element" but "Anette Olzon" as an artist to boost her total plays :D #evil

Oh, are those ballads a bit ethno-influenced/folk? Or just the ordinary rock ballad?
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Tansike » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:53 pm

Oh, you mean that :lol: well, then yeah... but i think that‘s okay in that case :P

Ordinary rock ballads :( There are no folk elements. Would have loved that!

It‘s a pure rock album. The title track really fits as the opener, title track and first single.
Tansike
Legend

Postby Tansike » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:32 pm

Still no review by Mainshow :cry:

I hope this doesn't mean you don't like the album :cry:
Tansike
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:26 pm

Hehe, I've been so busy lately and on top of that, I am obsessed with Tarja for now and I keep going back listening to her latest album.
Also, I still need to discover "The Dark Element", "The Thrill Of It All", "Flicker", "Wonderful Wonderful", "Reputation", "Synthesis" as well as a bunch of Russian singles I fell in love with when I was in Poland last month at the same time.

That being said, I have listened to "The Dark Element" twice or three times and I really do like the album. It's great to have Anette back!
I can't remember the song titles in general but what I find a bit off-putting are the lyrics, tbh. In some tracks it sounds very girl-ish and like it would be directly coming from pop music performed by Taylor Swift two eras ago. - I mean, the project is called "The Dark Element" but it's quite cheesy, too uplifting, teeny e.t.c.
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Tansike » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:26 pm

^ Glad you finally got your copy & checked it out!

Haha... yeah, i never really thought about it, but the name 'The Dark Element' doesn't really fit. But Jani wanted to create catchy hooks and he definitely achieved that with this album. It's funny how everyone in the web seems to praise the lyrics yet i find them quite weak as well. Some lines are awful (the 'i haven't even washed the sheets' or so on "Someone You Used To Know" for example, or the chorus of "My Sweet Mystery", the bridge on "Here's To You"...), but i love me some cheesiness.
Tansike
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:08 pm

Really? People are praising the lyrics?! - I mean, the music is amazing and Anette's voice is really carrying the songs (they perfectly fit her vocal range) but the lyrics are even a bit ridiculous for such an artist. They are not really bad but like we both agreed on, cheesy and a bit over-the-top teeny-dramatic.
I think that Jani should have asked Anette to come up with some lines while sticking to the melodies, etc.

Actually, I've read quite negative comments on the songwriting in a Nightwish forum as well. (Most people love the music, though).
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Return to Rock & Alternative