Auri (Tuomas Holopainen & Co.) - Auri

Moderator: tdc2000

Postby Tansike » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:20 pm

Following The Dark Element (Anette Olzon & Jani Liimatainen) and My Indigo (Sharon den Adel), Auri is already the next new project by a big musician from the symphonic metal genre. Auri consists of Nightwish mastermind Tuomas Holopainen, his wife Johanna Kurkela and fellow Nightwish musician Troy Donockley. Their debut album called "Auri" will be released on the 23rd March 2018, with the first single "Night 13" being released yesterday.

Official press text:

A VOICE BEHIND THE MIRROR

Echoes of another world resound from the depths of the legendary rabbit hole. Music diffused with moments of silence and escapist dream sequences, freed from time and earthly presence.
AURI begun its life with three people, united through their shared need to hear a kind of a music which can’t be described by words alone. A magical kind of sound to be heard whilst falling down Alice's rabbit hole.

The first song born of this mindset, 'Aphrodite Rising', appeared in 2011. And slowly the earth has cracked open again and ten more tracks have emerged out of the soil's dust.

Thus the trio was formed. The Finnish singer Johanna Kurkela lent her unique voice, while Troy Donockley and Tuomas Holopainen [both NIGHTWISH] cast their spells with various other instruments. Using selected guest musicians and friends, the album finally takes its ultimate form under the direction of sound engineer Tim Oliver, all within the pastoral splendor of 'Real World' studios in Southern England.

AURI put the 'drink me potion' to its lips, grew to full size, and is now ready to slay the Jabberwocky. Hand in hand with Nuclear Blast, they lead their listeners into the shadows behind the mirror, and in spring 2018 their debut album will evoke ghosts of an ethereal sphere.

AURI consists of:
Johanna Kurkela: Voices & viola
Tuomas Holopainen: Keys & backing voices
Troy Donockley: Acoustic and electric guitars, bouzouki, uilleann pipes, low whistles, aerophone, bodhran, keys, voices

More info: http://www.nuclearblast.de/auri
Photo by Tim Martindale

Buy or Stream "Night 13" here

This is simply stunning!! The build up is so well done, and i already loved Johanna on Tuomas' solo album "The Life and Times of Scrooge", so i'm happy they collaborated again. Really excited for the whole project!
Tansike
Legend

Postby Tansike » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:37 am

Official Video.

Quite pointless... they should have done a video where you could see the band as it's a new project :-?
Tansike
Legend

Postby Cmyk » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:18 am

Really like it. It's sounds like previous solo Tuomas a bit but he still creates very emotional lyrics and melodies.
Cmyk
Manager

Postby Tansike » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:34 pm

^ agree!

They already released the second single "The Space Between" like three weeks ago and i only discovered it last friday... it's another very good song!

Tansike
Legend

Postby Cmyk » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:33 am

2nd one is good as well. It will be another very Tuomas album with female and male vocals on it. I liked debut so Auri will be perfect for ma too. Relaxing , calming music.
Cmyk
Manager

Postby Tansike » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:15 pm

^ yeah i agree, it's so relaxing... love her voice!

Can't wait to hear the whole album, only eight more days to go :o It's interesting that "The Space Between" seems to be the album opener, as "Night 13" would seem more fitting with it's quiet opening.
Tansike
Legend

Postby heppolo » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:15 pm

I prefer ''Night 13'', it has an ethereal feeling
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby Tansike » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:58 am

The album is OUT NOW and it's... different!

I started listening while driving to work and kept on listening to the rest at work, as it has a length of 56 minutes despite only having 11 songs. The two tracks "The Space Between" and "Night 13" are still my favorite ones after that first spin, and they're surprisingly also the most commercial songs :lol: The whole thing is quite ethereal which is nice for a change, however, i expected more tunes in the vein of "The Space Between", like that uptempo-but-still-acoustic-thingy with some folk elements. It's really difficult to describe the album after that first spin, as it's really not what i expected, but still good and interesting.

This will require a few spins to really get into i guess...
Tansike
Legend

Return to Rock & Alternative