CocoRosie - Noah's ark

Moderator: tdc2000

Postby Grybop » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:16 pm

US born sisters Bianca and Sierra Casady have been making music for the past few years under the name CocoRosie. Their sound is unclassifiable, but has been described as "new folk", "freak folk" and "indie blues".

Their sophomore album, Noah's Ark, was released last month to mixed reviews - some say it's plainly inaccessible, some others claim to be under the spell of its minimalism.

For me, it stands somewhere in-between.

Most of their songs are quite melodic, but there are some useless elements that distract the listener from the music, like all kinds of animal sounds. :o

Their music in general is based on guitar loops and sound fragments with distorted vocals on top, mixing old folk music and blues with electronic sounds.

One of their guests on the album is Antony "I won the Mercury" Hegarty, but don't let that put you off if you don't like his music, because CocoRosie's trip hop beats are light years away from his mellowness.

You can hear one of their least experimental songs, the title track from Noah's Ark, at their record company's website.

This is the cover of the album

You'll probably like CocoRosie if you...

- like Bjork
- feel like listening to something fresh

You'll probably hate CocoRosie if you...

- think Avril Lavigne is the epitomy of innovation in modern music
- love lushly produced records
Grybop
Anti-PR Executive

Postby Grybop » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:37 pm

Noah's Ark was released 12 years ago today. Unbelievable how quickly time passed by!

Lots of goodies on this album, which still sounds fresh today.

The title track, K-Hole and especially their collab with Antony are my faves.

Grybop
Anti-PR Executive

Postby Carbon » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:22 am

Loved this album back in high school.

So weird, but fascinating and beautiful. K-Hole, Tekno Love Song, Armageddon and many others are great, but my fave is definitely Honey or Tar. Brilliant!

For some reason I went off CocoRosie over the last years so I rarely play them. But I'll cherish their first four albums a lot for how much I liked them back then.

My fave album by them remains Grey Oceans. Their peak imo!
Ја кријам главата под шалот.
Само на веѓите ми се гледа
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby Vindrag » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:01 pm

Candyland.......... haunts me to this day.
I can barely listen. So sorrowful.
Luc

I have hatred towards the entire world,
and you are no exception
Vindrag
Legend

Return to Rock/Alternative