2014 Commonwealth Games (Glasgow)

Postby oasisbobo » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:18 pm

The event is underway.

Glasgow is buzzing! Loved the opening ceremony last night! Can't wait for some sporting action! :D
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby kushi » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:23 pm

Turned on the TV to see some swimming. Reminded me of the Simpsons episode where Krusty had to give away free burgers every time the USA won medals, and the other competitors came from countries without swimming pools. :lol:
Thriller wrote:Not a real song, post it in one of your hit This N That threads
kushi
Legend

Postby Virgostar » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:11 am

Loved seeing the Scottish Terriers leading out all the countries during the opening ceremony....so cute!

Happy to see us winning some gold in the pool & on the track last night. I ♥ Anna Meares, so I was happy to see her win an event. Big congrats to our 4x100 freestyle relay gals for not only getting gold, but beating the world record too! :o
Let's embrace the point of no return.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby lundpop » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:10 pm

The opening ceremony was beautiful. So much better than the mishap that was the FIFA one.

I think this is the only international competition where my home country can do something, so I'm really proud to see that we are in the 5th position in the medals tally. :cry:
Dans ce convoi de larmes
Je te dédie ma mort
Et je saigne, saigne encore...
lundpop
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:04 am

Blessing Okagbare in that women's 100m though! :o She made it look EASY. I'm excited to see her run away with the 200 too. :D
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:52 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Blessing Okagbare in that women's 100m though! :o She made it look EASY. I'm excited to see her run away with the 200 too. :D
So said, so done. She's cemented her place as the Commonwealth's sprint queen now, and I'm so happy that she's managed to do it! I always felt she just had this enormous potential and that when she mastered the sprints, she'd become a dangerous force to reckon with and I'm glad to see that she has.

I can't wait for the match-up between her and Tori Bowie. Throw Felix into the ring and the last few months of the season will be INSANE!!!
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Madgefan » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:05 pm

Hoping England can hold off Australia to top the medals table for the first time since 1986 :D
It might sound like I'm an unapologetic bitch
But sometimes you know I gotta call it like it is
Madgefan
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:10 pm

Tom Daley looked so handsome defending his title. :oops: I was hoping Matthew Mitcham would have nabbed the bronze at least, but fourth isn't too bad, I guess.

The relays though! :o I loved them! I thought the Jamaican women would have massacred the women's 4x400m, but the Nigerians did well to keep in contact with them up until the last 100 on the anchor leg. I was telling my mother right before the men's 4x400m that I thought the Bahamians would be starting as the slight favourite, but that there was a question mark next to Chris Brown's fitness. Turns out his fitness was fine, but he didn't have enough room to run down the Briton in the home straight. Kudos to Hudson-Smith on responding to Brown. Very close finish!

There was never any doubt that the Jamaican women would run away with the 4x100m gold medal. Daylight between them and second place. There was just no overhauling Kerron Stewart, VCB, and Fraser-Pryce. They could've thrown anyone else in and would have still won by a huge margin.

Usain Bolt was the highlight for me though. I think casual sports fans overrate his abilities sometimes, but he proved to be in excellent form. I thought he would have gotten the baton in the lead, and the Britons did well to ensure he didn't, but that anchor leg was just superb. He's coming for Justin Gatlin this season, and I have no doubt he'll set some world-leading times before the year's out.

What a splendid championship! Game records in three of four of the relays too! Outstanding performances all round, though Blessing Okagbare gets the nod from me for MVP. 8-)
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Madgefan » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:06 pm

Great peformance by England to top the medals table. All the home nations were impressive and things looking good for Team GB heading towards Rio 2016. I just hope we are Team GB still and Scotland doesn't vote for independence.
It might sound like I'm an unapologetic bitch
But sometimes you know I gotta call it like it is
Madgefan
Superstar

Postby oasisbobo » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:45 am

Loved having the games in my city! Glasgow was a buzz during the games!
oasisbobo
Legend

Return to Sport