Boxing

Postby oasisbobo » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:30 pm

Lets get some more topics in here.

Any boxing fans? I love a bit of boxing.

Ricky Hatton and Joe Calzaghe were brilliant. I love Ricky Burns and id love to see Scott Harrison back to his best.
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:52 pm

Anthony Joshua is looking like a huge star! 9 win from 9 with 9 ko's 8-)

oasisbobo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:38 pm

World champion Wladimir Klitschko weighed in slightly lighter than challenger Kubrat Pulev ahead of Saturday’s heavyweight showdown in Hamburg.

http://www1.skysports.com/boxing/news/1 ... itle-clash
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:07 pm

Amir Khan fights Devon Alexander early tomorrow. :) Should be a good one!
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby heppolo » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:33 pm

I prefer amateur boxing to be honest :)
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:33 am

heppolo wrote:I prefer amateur boxing to be honest :)
Ah interesting. I only every see it at the Olympics and Commonwealth Games. The amateur fights can be better to watch sometimes and it is faster with two guys trying to score as much points in a much shorter fight.
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby heppolo » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:38 am

oasisbobo wrote:
heppolo wrote:I prefer amateur boxing to be honest :)
Ah interesting. I only every see it at the Olympics and Commonwealth Games. The amateur fights can be better to watch sometimes and it is faster with two guys trying to score as much points in a much shorter fight.
Yes, and lighter weights get more attention
heppolo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:43 am

Yeah, generally the lighter weights are more skilful too.

Scotland have just had a Gold medallist who won Gold at the Commonwealth games turn professional. Charlie Flynn he makes his pro debut today. He is looking like Scotland's next world champion.
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:49 am

Andy Lee beats Matt Korobov to win vacant WBO middleweight belt

Andy Lee clinched the vacant WBO world middleweight title with a sixth-round stoppage victory against Russian Matt Korobov in Las Vegas.

Lee, 30, who was born in London and represented Ireland at the 2004 European Championships, won the belt in his 36th professional contest.

He landed a right hook in the sixth and followed that with more punches before referee Kenny Bayliss stopped the bout.

This victory sets up a contest between Lee and Billy Joe Saunders.

The Englishman, who beat Chris Eubank Jr on a split decision last month, is the mandatory challenger for the WBO title and that fight could take place in Ireland.

Korobov, 31, suffered the first defeat of his 25-fight professional career, while Lee has now won 34 of his 36 fights, with 24 of those victories coming inside the distance.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/30468179
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:40 pm

Charlie Flynn wins on professional debut against Ibrar Riyaz

Charlie Flynn won on his professional debut against journeyman Ibrar Riyaz at Glasgow's Thistle Hotel on Sunday.

The Scottish Commonwealth gold-winning lightweight, 21, claimed a 40-36 points win against the Englishman.

The victory came four-and-a-half months after Flynn enjoyed success at Glasgow 2014 and four weeks after confirming his move into the pro ranks.

Earlier, Flynn's Scotland team-mate Joe Ham beat Georgian David Kvaratskhelia with a pro debut first-round knockout.

"The atmosphere was unbelievable," Flynn told BBC Scotland after his fight at Glasgow's Thistle Hotel in front of about 1,000 fans.

"They were crammed in like sardines. I was blown away by the support."

The Motherwell fighter has signed up with promoter Alex Morrison, who staged Sunday night's event, and is trained by Peter Harrison.

He will certainly face tougher opponents than 29-year-old Riyaz, who has lost 67 of his 74 fights, but he could not be faulted in the way he went about his winning performance.

"I was feeling good in there. He was a tough nut to crack," he said.

"Why not go in and box him? I've never been four rounds before.

"He was using his head, using his elbows. My coach said to me, 'work behind your jab, use your technical ability, stop running in like a madman'.

"Everybody loved it, they got their four rounds, it was great.

"He wanted me to walk into a shot. He was showing off, inviting me in so he could drop a bomb on me. He's got an old head on him.

"He was waiting on me to make a stupid mistake - a daft wee amateur who thinks he's the golden boy - and bang, he lamps me. I just kept my composure."

Super-featherweight Ham is another fighter who lit up Glasgow 2014, though his defeat by the classy English boxer Qais Ashfaq in the quarter-finals meant there was no Commonwealth medal.

He too was making his pro debut and was thankful that he and his dad, his trainer at the Hayfield club, had done their homework.

He said: "We had studied the boy. I knew what punches to throw. We'd been working at the left hook to the body and when I land it clean that's what happens - they don't get up.

"It was a good knockout for my first fight."

Like Flynn, the five-time Scottish amateur champion was buoyed by the home support.

"For years and years, nobody took any notice and since the Scottish Championships at the Emirates and the Games it has just exploded," he said of the backing.

"The place burst into song. It was great to get in there and find my feet."

In the evening's other results, Glasgow's Ryan Smith won his fourth professional bout, this time against Lee Connelly from Killamarsh in Derbyshire.

"He came out guns blazing and I managed to deal with it," he said after winning every round.

"I could tell when he was planting his feet he was going to fling punches but I clicked on how to dodge them.

"I'm good at the head movement. He was flinging hooks from both sides and I was going underneath and dodging them.

"I felt the last round was my strongest."

Another Glaswegian, Jonathan Slowey, won on points against Lithuania's Simas Volosinas, Ham's club-mate Stewart Burt, another making his pro debut, impressed in his win over Fonz Alexander at welterweight, Wishaw's former kick-boxer Scott Allan edged a decision against Bristol's Omran Akbari and Glasgow's Jamie McGuire beat Dewsbury's Youssef Al Hamidi.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/30474036
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:06 pm

Amir Khan has announced he will fight former light-welterweight world champion Chris Algieri on 30 May.

The 28-year-old had come under pressure to take on British rival Kell Brook but said he was already deep in negotiations to fight someone else.

Khan, who announced the fight on his wife's YouTube channel, said the bout was likely to take place in New York in the 147lbs (welterweight) division.

The Bolton fighter said: "You can class him as an A-class opponent."

Algieri, 31, has been defeated in only one of his 21 fights, a loss on points to Manny Pacquiao in November during which he was knocked down six times.

"This is another fight which is going to bring a different style," added Khan, who is hoping for a meeting with the winner of Pacquiao's eagerly-awaited showdown with Floyd Mayweather.

"He knows how to box, he knows how to move well. He takes a decent amount of shots and he's got a decent amount of power.

"Hopefully this can lead me onto the bigger fights in the future, which we're all looking at."

Khan has also vowed to fight unbeaten IBF champion Brook, 28, at Wembley "within the next 12 months".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/32171340
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:50 am

Charlie Flynn making his second pro fight tonight on the undercard of Anthony Joshua’s heavyweight test at the Metro Arena next Saturday.

Two of my favourite boxers. Looking forward to the fights :)
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:52 pm

Charlie Flynn records a 40-35 over Andy Harris in Newcastle
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:35 pm

Unbeaten English heavyweight Anthony Joshua stopped Jason Gavern in round three to record an 11th successive victory since turning professional.

The 2012 Olympic gold medallist, 25, wore down his opponent with some heavy punching, putting the 37-year-old on the canvas three times in the third.

Joshua said: "Expectations were high and Jason was an awkward opponent."

Later at Newcastle's Metro Radio Arena, Anthony Nelson won the vacant Commonwealth super-flyweight title.

The 29-year-old from South Shields beat 23-year-old Scot Jamie Wilson, who retired on his stool at the end of the sixth round.

Joshua, meanwhile, will next face Kevin Johnson on 30 May after pulling out of a scheduled contest with the American in January because of a back injury.

He said: "I was a bit ring-rusty and was not able to display all I've been doing at the gym."

Elsewhere, Canadian Adonis Stevenson retained his WBC light-heavyweight world title with a unanimous points victory over Sakio Bika in Quebec City.

Stevenson, 37, took his career record to 26-1 with a 115-111, 116-110 and 115-110 win on the scorecards.

Australian Bika's defeat was the 35-year-old's seventh in 42 fights.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/32084629
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Sun May 31, 2015 11:25 am

Anthony Joshua was at his devastating best as he became the first man to stop Kevin Johnson.

More appropriately, he demolished the American inside two rounds and might feel he was forced to work too long.

This fight could, perhaps should, have been stopped in the first, when Johnson, a 36-fight veteran, sagged against the ropes and took a count.

At the close of the round, he was again smashed to the ground by a series of huge punches. By then it was clear he was no match for an Olympic champion who is yet to see the fourth round of a fight.

This one, his 13th, was supposed to be that test. Johnson had never been stopped in fights against the likes of Vitali Klitschko and Tyson Fury. By the end, the only experience he provided was how to deal with trash talk.

Throughout a week of taunting, including the suggestion Joshua is a 'media hype job', the British fighter has stayed quiet and refused to bite. Perhaps any malice was saved for the fight, as he appeared to smile several times upon landing big punches.

After the referee stopped the fight in the second, Joshua started laughing. The calibre of his opponent will again be questioned – that is the routine now.

But even though Johnson had lost his previous three fights, they were all against respectable opposition, two of which have fought for world titles. The simple fact remains that Joshua, in the tests he has been handed has looked devastating.

It remains to be seen what happens when a big shot hits his chin. But as far as technique, entertainment and brutal efficiency go, he cannot be faulted.

July 18 is set to be his next outing.

Joshua said: 'This shows I have the power but there were times when I was on the inside that I could have been more explosive. So far so good, but in the back of my mind I know it's going to get tougher.

'I'm going to stick with the people who have guided me to this point rather than fall into somebody else's hands who thinks I'm the finished article.'

He added: 'I have travelled about so many places with Matchroom but the O2 is my home and it is filling up more and more every time.

'This is what I am here to do. My coach really drills me in the gym and it is only right the hard work pays off.

'People say that guy will test me, this guy will test me. It is only going to get tough and I will fight tougher opponents, the game doesn't stop.'

Promoter Eddie Hearn added: 'That was devastating. We witnessed the future heavyweight champion of the world. We have to do things right and we will progress him at the right pace.

'He will be out in July in Manchester and you will love the fight we have here for September 12. He is a great fighter and he is British. We have a few names there but we will fill this place again. This guy is going to beat every single heavyweight in the world. We have a chance for a heavyweight to fly the flag for Great Britain and let's all enjoy the journey of Anthony Joshua.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... nd-KO.html
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Sun May 31, 2015 11:40 am

CHARLIE Flynn made it three wins from three on Friday night as he came through against Qasim Hussain.

‘The Mailman’ claimed all four rounds on the referee’s scorecard, although right from the opening seconds a knockout never looked likely with Hussain doing as much as he could to run away from the Newarthill man.

Hussain has suffered just one knockout in an astonishing tally of 31 professional defeats, and it’s easy to see why as time and again Flynn threw everything he had at him to no avail.

But despite his obvious frustration at the way the fight panned out, Flynn was just delighted to add another victory to his professional record.

He said:“I’m happy to get through it. I’ve never seen someone take as many body shots in my life.

“I was throwing my hardest shots and they were landing sweetly, but he took every single one of them.

“Once I’d hit him on the body a few times he didn’t want to know.

“That doesn’t look good for me as I was throwing loads of shots that didn’t seem to have much of an impact.

“But it was still a decent performance, although it would have been even better had it been a better opponent.”

The packed crowd at Glasgow’s Thistle Hotel really got behind Flynn throughout the fight, and as always, he was extremely grateful for their support.

He said: “It was great, and everyone went off their dinger when I came in.

“It was great that they all started chanting too, although it was annoying as the other boy just covered up and didn’t want to fight.”

But the life of a professional boxer never stands still – and Flynn’s attention is already on his next outing at the Manchester Arena on July 18 as part of a monumental night of boxing.

‘The Mailman’ will be on the undercard for both Scott Quigg and Anthony Crolla’s World Title fights as well as another outing for major Heavyweight prospect Anthony Joshua.

It’s a major show of confidence in Flynn from promoter Eddie Hearn to have him on such an impressive bill, and Flynn admitted he can’t wait to step into the ring.

He said:“There’s two World Title fights and two British Title fights, so to be on the undercard is a massive, massive thing for me.

“To get on shows as big as that in what will be my fourth fight is crazy.

“So I’m really looking forward to it, but I have a big training camp ahead of me now.

“I’ll take a week off, and then I’ll get back into it.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/boxi ... al-5777337
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:04 pm

Anthony Joshua faces Dillian Whyte tomorrow night! I'm really excited for it but wouldn't be surprised if Joshua wins in three :lol:

Should be explosive!!
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:38 pm

Charlie Flynn cannot wait to make his television debut after the Scottish lightweight made it six wins out of six fights as a professional.

Flynn, 22, beat Englishman Lee Connelly in Glasgow on Sunday, and hopes to make his TV debut in Manchester on 27 February.

Top of the bill will be Northern Ireland's Carl Frampton against England's Scott Quigg.

"We are in talks," Flynn told BBC Scotland. "That's a massive show."

He added: "Two world title belts in front of a massive crowd in Manchester and I would be on the undercard."

Frampton faces Quigg in a world bantamweight unification fight.

"That, for me, is an absolutely huge fight," said Flynn about the possibility of being on the same card.

Flynn stepped up to the professional game after winning gold at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow last year.

He stressed that, despite beating Connolly, his management will not rush him into a title encounter so soon in his professional career.

"You are talking about three years for a British title fight - about 15-18 fights but maybe a Scottish title fight by the end of next year.

"I just turned 22 there and, for a pro, that's pretty young, so there's no rush."

"I know my management has massive confidence in me, but we're just taking it slow for now and building."

Flynn was delighted with his latest outing, despite being taken the distance by Connolly.

"It was a great fight," he said. "I started off good and the fight could have got stopped in the first round.

"I was landing some big, heavy shots and he was on the ropes for about a minute solid.

"He was taking a lot of shots and I think everybody thought the referee was going to step in.

"But he let it continue and, after the first couple of rounds, we decided to stick with the boxing and get the rounds in the bank instead of trying to go for the stoppage.

"Everything went according to plan and we won every single round and my coaches were really happy with the way I boxed."

Also in Glasgow, Joe Ham stretched his winning featherweight record to six bouts with a second-round stoppage of Mirsad Ahmeti of Croatia.

The 24-year-old Scot had floored his opponent three times in the first round.

Elsewhere on the undercard, Lewis Paulin recorded a win on points over fellow Scottish super-featherweight Jamie McGuire, while welterweight Stewart Burt had to settle for a draw in his bout against England's Fonz Alexander.
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby heppolo » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:19 pm

Flynn can be a star in the near future
heppolo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:40 am

heppolo wrote:Flynn can be a star in the near future
Thanks for the reply. I'm backing him to be a future world champion! 8-)
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby heppolo » Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:19 pm

oasisbobo wrote:
May well be
heppolo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:19 pm

heppolo wrote:
oasisbobo wrote:
May well be
Yeah it will be interesting to see how he develops!
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:50 pm

My two boys have their next fights scheduled.

Charlie Flynn - 18th March
Anthony Joshua - 4th April

Watch this space!!
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:09 pm

David Haye knocks out Mark de Mori on ring return

David Haye returned after a three-and-half-year lay-off with a first-round knockout of Mark de Mori in London.

Australian De Mori looked bothered by the first jab Haye threw and thereafter it was one-way traffic.

Haye, 35, set up the finish with huge overhand right and De Mori was unconscious before he hit the canvas with 49 seconds left in the round.

Haye's stated ambition is to regain the world heavyweight crown he lost to Wladimir Klitschko in 2011.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/35336214
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby SholasBoy » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:07 pm

Last night was the first boxing match I ever saw and now don't feel like I need to bother again :lol: at least I didn't pay for ringside seats
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Return to Sport