Scottish Professional Football League

Postby oasisbobo » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:13 am

As a huge fan of the Scottish game I thought it was time I would start a topic although I know it wont get many posters apart from myself :lol:

Hopefully I can share a little bit about the history, some current teams and get some more people on here interested in the football league in Scotland :)

Teams
Celtic
East Stirling
Last edited by oasisbobo on Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:15 am

Results from 13/12/14

Premiership
Dundee United 0 - 2 Aberdeen
Hamilton Academical 2 - 1 Dundee FC
Inverness CT 0 - 4 Partick Thistle
Kilmarnock 0 - 1 St.Johnstone
Motherwell 2 - 2 Ross County

Championship
Dumbarton 2 - 1 Raith Rovers
Hibernian 2 - 0 Alloa Athletic
Livingston 0 - 1 Falkirk

League 1
Airdrieonians 3 - 1 Dunfermline Athletic
Ayr United 2 - 3 Stenhousemuir
Forfar Athletic 2 - 1 Stirling Albion
Greenock Morton 2 - 2 Brechin City
Peterhead 1 - 4 Stranraer

League 2
Annan Athletic 2 - 1 East Fife
Clyde 0 - 1 Albion Rovers
East Stirlingshire 2 - 3 Arbroath
Montrose 1 - 2 Queens Park

Very surprised at Partick Thistle's 4-0 win at the in form Inverness definitely my result of the day :)
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby heppolo » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:15 am

Despite being a Celtic supporter, I want to see Hearts/Hibbs/Gers back in the Premiership for a tougher and more exciting competition.
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:23 am

heppolo wrote:Despite being a Celtic supporter, I want to see Hearts/Hibbs/Gers back in the Premiership for a tougher and more exciting competition.
I agree. The top flight has definitely missed those three and Celtic have particularly missed Rangers. Although with Rangers working their way back from the bottom division it has given some smaller clubs some money in gates receipts and TV coverage so that could be one positive.

Do you think Rangers will get promoted this season?
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby heppolo » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:38 pm

oasisbobo wrote:
heppolo wrote:Despite being a Celtic supporter, I want to see Hearts/Hibbs/Gers back in the Premiership for a tougher and more exciting competition.
I agree. The top flight has definitely missed those three and Celtic have particularly missed Rangers. Although with Rangers working their way back from the bottom division it has given some smaller clubs some money in gates receipts and TV coverage so that could be one positive.

I think they will via the playoffs
heppolo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:51 pm

heppolo wrote:
oasisbobo wrote:

I think they will via the playoffs
Hearts are looking good for the title in the championship. I would love to see Hibs promoted through the play offs. I think there are more financial troubles a head for Rangers.
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby flopho » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:00 pm

Yess another football thread! 8-)
Personally i wish for QOTS and Rangers to make it to the SPL but wouldn't mind if the Hearts or Hib get promoted as they are teams with big history (and i assume a large number of audience, too.)

As for the SPL, was hoping for Hamilton to surprise us but doesn't look like it at all anymore, Celtic will win this by a 20 to 30 points margin again imo.
Shame on me for changing...no, shame on you for staying the same
flopho
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:07 pm

fpfbm54 wrote:Yess another football thread! 8-)
Personally i wish for QOTS and Rangers to make it to the SPL but wouldn't mind if the Hearts or Hib get promoted as they are teams with big history (and i assume a large number of audience, too.)

As for the SPL, was hoping for Hamilton to surprise us but doesn't look like it at all anymore, Celtic will win this by a 20 to 30 points margin again imo.
Great to see you here :D :D

I would love Queen of the South to reach the Premiership. Would be a great story. Yeah Hamilton were doing really well but have faded slightly. 8 wins in a row for Celtic now which is very pleasing and the performances are getting better!
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:09 pm

I hope to turn the thread into a history of Scottish football thread. Posting about every team in Scotland, Classic matches, Greatest players and so on. I want to do a little post every now and then focusing on one team and telling people how great Scottish football is :D
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:36 pm

A play off between the bottom team in League Two and the winners of the Highland League and Lowland League will enter a play off for a place in next seasons competition. I think this will bring some new life and excitement into the Scottish league system :)

I'll have a look at some teams from the Highland and Lowland Leagues too :D
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby Spartan » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:05 pm

I've always followed Inverss CT and QoTS for some unknown reason so it's great to see them both doing well this year. Hopefully Inverness can come back from that heavy defeat and maintain #2 position.
Spartan
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:18 pm

Spartan wrote:I've always followed Inverss CT and QoTS for some unknown reason so it's great to see them both doing well this year. Hopefully Inverness can come back from that heavy defeat and maintain #2 position.
That's great to see :D Inverness are a strong side. Hopefully they can qualify for Europe :D
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby heppolo » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:09 am

I've started following Scottish league because of having SPL coverage at our satellite sports channel in the 90s and playing first games of FIFA series when they featured national leagues
heppolo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:10 pm

heppolo wrote:I've started following Scottish league because of having SPL coverage at our satellite sports channel in the 90s and playing first games of FIFA series when they featured national leagues
That's great!

I'd love to see the Scottish game broadcast in more regions. Bringing more money into the game.
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:26 pm

First bit of history and I have to start with my beloved Celtic 8-)

Formed: 1888
Ground: Celtic Park
Manager: Ronny Deila

European Cup: 1
Scottish League Championship: 45
Scottish Cup: 36
League Cup: 14

The club's record appearance maker is Billy McNeill, who made 790 appearances between 1957 and 1975. Jimmy McGrory is the club's record goalscorer, scoring 522 goals during his Celtic career.

World record for total number of goals scored in a season (competitive games only): 196 (season 1966–67)
UK record for an unbeaten run in professional football: 62 games (49 won, 13 drawn), from 13 November 1915 until 21 April 1917 – a total of 17 months and four days in all.
14 consecutive League Cup final appearances, from season 1964/65 to 1977/78 inclusive, a world record for successive appearances in the final of a major football competition,

Celtic were the first British club to win the European Cup, and still the only Scottish club ever to have reached the final. Celtic are one of only three clubs to have won a "Quintuple", the others being Barcelona (2009 and 2011) and Inter (2010).
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby heppolo » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:09 pm

Celtic is still a force in Europe even after being financially back-benched by huge contracts of top football divisions
heppolo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:12 pm

heppolo wrote:Celtic is still a force in Europe even after being financially back-benched by huge contracts of top football divisions
Yeah and I think it's amazing how they can compete with the big guns. On their day Celtic can beat anyone at Celtic Park 8-)
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby heppolo » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:35 pm

oasisbobo wrote:
heppolo wrote:Celtic is still a force in Europe even after being financially back-benched by huge contracts of top football divisions
Yeah and I think it's amazing how they can compete with the big guns. On their day Celtic can beat anyone at Celtic Park 8-)
Too bad there are away matches
heppolo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:20 am

heppolo wrote:
oasisbobo wrote:
Too bad there are away matches
That is true.

At least we can now score some goals away from home and we don't concede in the first two minutes of every game. :lol:
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:45 pm

Another team I love East Stirling

Formed: 1881
Ground: Ochilview Park
Manager: Craig Tully

Division Two: 1
Division Three: 1

After five consecutive seasons finishing bottom of the Scottish Football League in the mid-2000s, Jim McInally also changed fortunes at the club, managing East Stirlingshire to successive third place finishes in the Third Division between 2008 and 2010 to qualify for the promotion play-offs.

East Stirlingshire first entered in the Scottish Cup in 1882, its best result reaching the quarter-finals on three occasions, the last in 1981. The club's best result in a national cup competition was in the 2000–01 season when it reached the semi-finals of the Scottish Challenge Cup, losing to Livingston for a place in the final

East Stirlingshire's record home attendance is 12,000 for a third round Scottish Cup match against Partick Thistle on 19 February 1921 at Firs Park.

Gordon Russell holds the record for East Stirlingshire league appearances, playing 445 first-team matches between 1983–84 and 2000–01.
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:08 pm

Results from 20/12/14

Premiership
Aberdeen 1 - 0 Kilmarnock
Partick Thistle 1 - 1 Dundee FC
Ross County 0 - 1 Hamilton Academical
St. Mirren 0 - 1 Motherwell
St.Johnstone 1 - 0 Inverness CT

Championship
Hearts 2 - 0 Alloa Athletic
Queen of South 1 - 2 Cowdenbeath
Raith Rovers 1 - 3 Hibernian
Rangers 2 - 0 Livingston
Dumbarton 0 - 3 Falkirk

League One
Ayr United 2 - 2 Stirling Albion
Dunfermline Athletic 0 - 1 Stranraer
Forfar Athletic 1 - 1 Airdrieonians
Greenock Morton 0 - 1 Peterhead
Stenhousemuir 0 - 2 Brechin City

League Two
Albion Rovers 0 - 0 Montrose
Arbroath 2 - 0 Berwick Rangers
Clyde 3 - 1 East Fife
Queens Park 0 - 0 Annan Athletic
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby heppolo » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:24 pm

oasisbobo wrote:Results from 20/12/14

Premiership

Not exactly a lot of goals.
heppolo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:51 pm

heppolo wrote:
oasisbobo wrote:Results from 20/12/14

Premiership

Not exactly a lot of goals.
I was thinking the same. Doesn't look to exciting. The goals will come tomorrow :D
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby heppolo » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:56 pm

Shockingly bad defence against Dundee Utd. Something needs to be done about it
heppolo
Legend

Return to Sport