Shame on me for changing...no, shame on you for staying the same
flopho
Legend

Postby MonaBlissa » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:06 pm

Great Britain is doing amazing!
MonaBlissa
Manager

Postby leomedar » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:22 pm

Hope Brazil wins today in soccer and get that long waited gold medal!
leomedar
Superstar

Postby Wayne » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:49 pm

Another gold for GB!
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Airwrecka » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:55 pm

Great achievement for Nicola Adams!! :D
❄ The brightest flame casts the darkest shadow ❄
Airwrecka
Ace Reject

Postby Airwrecka » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:00 pm

BBC wrote:Rio Paralympics 2016: Games to go ahead with major budget cuts

The Paralympic Games will take place as planned next month, but face major budget cuts, the International Paralympic Committee has announced.

The cuts will be made to venues, the workforce and transport.

Delayed travel grants will now be paid to athletes, but 10 countries may struggle to get teams to Rio.

"Never before in the 56-year history of the Paralympic Games have we faced circumstances like this," said IPC president Sir Philip Craven.

With 19 days to the start of the Games, the IPC says Rio's organising committee has not raised enough money to fund the Paralympics.

This is due to Brazil's struggling economy and the fact that only 12% of available tickets have so far been sold for the Games, which start on 7 September.

It meant organisers were three weeks late in paying 8m euros (£7m) in travel grants to help athletes get to Rio.

But Rio's mayor Eduardo Paes has secured an additional £36m of funding and £24m in sponsorship from state-run companies after an injunction was lifted that had blocked further state aid for the Games.

What's being cut?
  • Downsizing of Rio 2016's workforce for the Paralympics
  • Changes to the transport services for athletes and their teams
  • The closure of a number of venue media centres
  • Moving events to other venues to enable Deodoro Park to be dismantled, allowing the other venues to have dedicated transport hubs
Source
Airwrecka
Ace Reject

Postby oasisbobo » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:28 pm

MonaBlissa wrote:Great Britain is doing amazing!
Yeah it's great to see!
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby heppolo » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:24 pm

leomedar wrote:Hope Brazil wins today in soccer and get that long waited gold medal!
They've done it. The match was great by the way, both teams played their best
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby SholasBoy » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:43 am

It's been a game of two halves today for Team GBR. On one hand, Tom Daley did absolutely terrible, and I feel that he doesn't have the support he had 4 years ago, he had spent some time since London becoming a celebrity, and in doing that, Jack Laugher and Chris Mead have outclassed him, it was a terrible performance, but I feel something must have been on his mind, surely not the pressure, we've seen him do so much better before.

On the other hand, Mo Farah, an incredible athlete, inspiring for the next generation, not is he only such an incredible athlete but seems to be a wonderful personality too.

Also we must consider how great it is to see that Andrew Butchart came in 4th too. I don't know the actual reason that African born athletes do so well in these races, but to see a GB born & bred athlete do so well in this event is quite an achievement, he will be one to watch next time.
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby leomedar » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:13 am

heppolo wrote:
leomedar wrote:Hope Brazil wins today in soccer and get that long waited gold medal!
They've done it. The match was great by the way, both teams played their best
Beautiful! My friends from Manaus are enjoying this glorious achievement. They are the best (after Argentina, of course :lol: )
leomedar
Superstar

Postby Airwrecka » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:21 am

Poor Tom. :( I feel like he has lived under so much pressure all his career. Laugher and Mears were relatively under the radar, and I think that must have been an advantage. They pretty much said as much in an interview.

Mo is an amazing athlete. And such a nice guy too.

SholasBoy wrote:I don't know the actual reason that African born athletes do so well in these races
The scientific theory is to do with an individual's centre of gravity. It is thought that black men and women have a higher centre of mass by around 3% compared to white people. This means their bodies fall faster on each stride, speeding up their pace, and thus making them faster sprinters on average. Conversely, white swimmers typically have the advantage over black swimmers, because swimming is about pulling your body upward and out of the water, and thus a lower centre of mass is more beneficial.
Airwrecka
Ace Reject

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:41 am

These have been a bittersweet Olympic Games for me, as it's likely the last Olympics for every last one of my favourite track athletes. Felix, VCB, Fraser-Pryce, and Richards-Ross (who, unfortunately, wasn't able to compete due to injury) have dominated women's sprinting for the past 12 years, which isn't easy to do since there's almost always a star from some country waiting and ready to strike, but they came, fought through whatever adversities they had (fractured toes, yet-to-be-healed ankle injuries, old age in general, etc.) and made the young girls work for it. So proud of them!

As for Felix, I don't think I'll ever be as enamored with an athlete as I am with her. Great sprinters preceded her, and surely there will be great sprinters to follow her, but her grace, her versatility, her consistency and longevity, her grit, and those very, very lengthy, speedy 'chicken legs' of hers put her as a clear #1 in my book of all-time greatest female runners. And now, she has the Olympic hardware to add to her world championships hardware as further evidence that she's the best to ever do it. Will we see another supernova like her in my lifetime? I doubt it, but for 12 years she's given us great competition, raised my blood pressure with some obscenely close finishes, and restored some interest and class to female sprinting after Marion Jones basically set women's sprinting back a decade with her doping infractions. Team USA will be hard pressed to find a successor to their track queen.

So, goodbye Bolt, goodbye Felix, goodbye Fraser-Pryce, Richards-Ross, and VCB, goodbye Powell, and step up to the plate young ones.

"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby heppolo » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:12 am

SholasBoy wrote:It's been a game of two halves today for Team GBR. On one hand, Tom Daley did absolutely terrible, and I feel that he doesn't have the support he had 4 years ago, he had spent some time since London becoming a celebrity, and in doing that, Jack Laugher and Chris Mead have outclassed him, it was a terrible performance, but I feel something must have been on his mind, surely not the pressure, we've seen him do so much better before.
In the qualification rounds though his score was as high as ever, he did his best and then this. Probably it's the fact that gold started not to seem as improbable after that and he has lost a bit of focus. He still came away with bronze from these Olympics having only just teamed up with Daniel Goodfellow.
heppolo
Legend

Postby heppolo » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:29 am

heppolo
Legend

Postby stevyy » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:41 am

UK has been awesome this olympiad and the previous one in Londontown, but i am also very proud of my german fellows, with 17 gold medals and 41 medals in total, #5 among all countries, i think our two nations did pretty well. France and Italy did amazingly well too.
stevyy
Legend

Postby Westen » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:03 am

Gold medal in water pollo :cry:

Now we're european champions, world champions and Olympic champions :cry:

These are our best games (as Serbia) with 8 medals
Westen
Superstar

Postby ferrero » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:58 am

Highlight of this Olympic games is definitely Carolina Marin becoming the first non-Asian athlete to win the badminton women's singles event, as well as Joseph Schooling beating winning the 100m butterfly to win my country's first gold medal ever in Olympics :D
ferrero
Manager

Postby SS95 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:59 pm

I've read that the IAAF wants to force athletes like Caster Semenya to undergo hormones treatment in order to reduce their natural testosteron level, which is 'too high for a woman'. I think that's the most ridiculous thing ever. Who decides what the normal testosteron level for a female is?
SS95
Roadie

Postby heppolo » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:25 pm

SS95 wrote: Who decides what the normal testosteron level for a female is?
There are standard medical measures. Abnormally high testosteron level can be a side effect of doping.
heppolo
Legend

Postby Wardo » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:06 pm

I'm so happy for our volleyball champions. :cry:

Bernardo Rezende is the best!
Wardo
Knight of Cups

Postby SS95 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:29 pm

heppolo wrote:
SS95 wrote: Who decides what the normal testosteron level for a female is?
There are standard medical measures. Abnormally high testosteron level can be a side effect of doping.
That's the thing, in almost every article i've read it clearly states that it's their natural testosteron level (without any suspicion of doping)
SS95
Roadie

Postby oasisbobo » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:09 pm

SS95 wrote:I've read that the IAAF wants to force athletes like Caster Semenya to undergo hormones treatment in order to reduce their natural testosteron level, which is 'too high for a woman'. I think that's the most ridiculous thing ever. Who decides what the normal testosteron level for a female is?
Has this ever happened with a male? His levels too high in comparison to other men? Or even too low in comparison to other men?
It's clearly an issue but if it's natural what can you do?
Also are there any cases where someone has high levels but aren't competing at such high standards?
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby Westen » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:59 pm

Basketball now
Passion vs Money. #SRB vs #USA.
Westen
Superstar

Return to Sport