Tennis Season 2017

Postby heppolo » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:43 pm

aaliyahman wrote:
I mean look at Stan, he's on par with Murray pretty much yet gets none of the celebration. Which is why Murray is over rated completely.
Again, two golds is something, it is not even one gold (Stan won once in doubles with Roger). And that Tour Finals is still a thing. And yes, he has been #1 for quite a bit
And yes, Wimbledon is bigger than any other GS, so winning it twice is alone better than Stan's set of GS victories. To an extent, you can't be really considered a great player until you win Wimbledon.
Andy has three opponents bigger than Sampras in a way. It's like if Agassi had Bjorn Borg, Pete Sampras and Connors all in the same era.
Your points are all fair though and I can to a certain extent agree with them, but Andy still has some achievements no other male tennis player has.
And none of your big three has an OBE, so :D
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby stevyy » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:30 pm

I love Venus.

I am so sad that she's lost the final. But she will be back. 2017 has been a great year for her. 2GS finals.. I sure hope that she is crowning her resurrection with the USO title.
stevyy
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:48 pm

stevyy wrote:I love Venus.

I am so sad that she's lost the final. But she will be back. 2017 has been a great year for her. 2GS finals.. I sure hope that she is crowning her resurrection with the USO title.
What a story that would be!
I wouldn't bet against it!
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby stevyy » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:37 pm

oasisbobo wrote:
stevyy wrote:I love Venus.

What a story that would be!
I wouldn't bet against it!
I've been watching some of her victories over the past 90 minutes... and I have to say that Venus has always been my favourite. Serena is the ultimate champion, but my heart has always beat a little bit faster for Venus. I also find her to be the most beautiful woman who's ever played tennis. I mean look at her, she has blossomed to become the personafide grace.

7 GS singles titles, 9 more finals. I know Serena will be inducted into the HoF pretty much as soon as she quits and I hope that they induct her WITH Venus. Venus has been a great champion and an inspiration for all tennis players of this generation and beyond.

Can anybody believe it? 20 years ago in 1997 she reached her first GS singles final at the US Open... 20 years later it seems like she has not lost one bit of her fire, reaching 2 GS finals in 2017.

What a career. What a life. I congratulate her and bow down to my favourite player on the current WTA Tour.
stevyy
Legend

Postby SeeForever » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:05 pm

Well done to Garbine she was great today, so sad to see Venus just fall apart in the final set, Venus for me has done remarkably well this year considering her health problems over the last few years, let's hope she continues on for a lot longer as another Major win will come
RIP The Queen Of Disco
SeeForever
Legend

Postby heppolo » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:18 pm

So I was rooting a bit for Muguruza this time, she was totally on fire since the 3rd round. Venus yet again had an amazing tournament and had she won the first set, it would have been a very different encounter for sure.
heppolo
Legend

Postby Wayne » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:28 pm

I don't massively enjoy tennis but I LOVE a good comeback story and Venus' story amazes me.

I watched the first set but got quite despondent as I realised once the first set had been won by Muguruza there was no coming back - I couldn't work out if Venus wasn't on form or whether Muguruza was simply too good tonight.

Either way, I simply adore Venus and Serena - amazing ambassadors.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby MusicLover88 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:28 pm

Venus :cry:

I really thought she would do it, but an amazing run nonetheless.
Unlike other things that wither, she preserves. She’s a constant in a world of relentless flux. She’s a beacon of immortality. Bitch, she’s Madonna.
MusicLover88
Manager

Postby aaliyahman » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:31 am

MusicLover88 wrote:Venus :cry:

I really thought she would do it, but an amazing run nonetheless.
Yes, I'm pretty heartbroken about this. It would have been so perfect.

I knew if she lost the 1st set it would be over.

As soon as I saw that I switched off. I think she just got too nervous and literally tired out.
Plus with the fatal crash hanging over her head it just became too much. Plus the weird trivia of her being the oldest woman since Martina to reach this stage only to be beaten by Garbine who is coached by the woman who beat Martina.

Weird. Love Venus she was my original favourite in tennis and I am amazed that she has been to 2 GS finals this year. An achievement ALL other girls on tour would want. Most of the top 10 don't have that record this year!
"What goes around comes back around my baby"
aaliyahman
Superstar

Postby Michiel » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:02 am

heppolo wrote:And yes, Wimbledon is bigger than any other GS, so winning it twice is alone better than Stan's set of GS victories. To an extent, you can't be really considered a great player until you win Wimbledon.
Maybe if you still live in the 20's or only watch BBC tennis. This view is ancient, sorry. You're basically saying that players like Lendl, Henin, Seles, Wilander and some others aren't great players. Try again.

The first set of the WTA final was tight and great. Loved watching it. Hopefully Garbine can now fulfill the potential I always saw in her. It would be a disaster if she goes the same route again as after RG 2016. Amazing what Venus has been doing so far this year (especially considering everything that is going around her), but Muguruza was just better this time around.
"Common sense is a chaotic aggregate of disparate conceptions, and one can find there anything that one like."
Last.FM
Instagram
Michiel
Legend

Postby heppolo » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:43 pm

Michiel wrote:
heppolo wrote:And yes, Wimbledon is bigger than any other GS, so winning it twice is alone better than Stan's set of GS victories. To an extent, you can't be really considered a great player until you win Wimbledon.
Maybe if you still live in the 20's or only watch BBC tennis. This view is ancient, sorry. You're basically saying that players like Lendl, Henin, Seles, Wilander and some others aren't great players. Try again.
Just ask any player what is the biggest tennis tournament in their opinion. I doubt any might say Australian Open, maybe some clay players might put Roland Garros and some americans might say US Open. Other than that...
heppolo
Legend

Postby heppolo » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:54 pm

Roger did his thing, Marin had some health issues but anyway, 8th Wimbledon title is just immense.
heppolo
Legend

Postby Michiel » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:06 pm

heppolo wrote:
Michiel wrote:
Just ask any player what is the biggest tennis tournament in their opinion. I doubt any might say Australian Open, maybe some clay players might put Roland Garros and some americans might say US Open. Other than that...
I think most players perceive it as the tournament with the biggest history/tradition, but that doesn't equal it as being bigger than any GS. And it definitely does not imply all the consequences you connect with it. I don't see how winning Wimbledon twice would be better than Wawrinka's wins in three separate GS. You speak in the name of players, but I hardly doubt any of them would agree with anything you said.
"Common sense is a chaotic aggregate of disparate conceptions, and one can find there anything that one like."
Last.FM
Instagram
Michiel
Legend

Postby heppolo » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:11 pm

Michiel wrote:
heppolo wrote:
Michiel wrote:
I think most players perceive it as the tournament with the biggest history/tradition, but that doesn't equal it as being bigger than any GS. And it definitely does not imply all the consequences you connect with it. I don't see how winning Wimbledon twice would be better than Wawrinka's wins in three separate GS. You speak in the name of players, but I hardly doubt any of them would agree with anything you said.
Forbes' was attempting to do some assessment, but it is not that compelling (and quite old)
heppolo
Legend

Postby stevyy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:12 pm

I cannot be happier for Roger. He is the greatest ever. I love his 19th GS title, his 8th at Wimbledon. Altho, I am a bit sad for my original husband Pete Sampras.

Anyway, what a legend.
stevyy
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:15 pm

oasisbobo wrote:Federer takes his 4th title of the season in Halle.
Goes into Wimbledon as favourite, imagine he wins?!
36 in August! What an athlete!!
Incredible achievement from Federer!
8th Wimbledon title is brilliant I can't quite believe it!
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby SeeForever » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:28 pm

Though I expected he'd win in straight sets, you still have to perform and Roger was great today, and of course history with his 8th Wimbledon title :D :D What a legend!!
RIP The Queen Of Disco
SeeForever
Legend

Postby MusicLover88 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:12 pm

Roger :cry: :cry: :cry:

Legend. I'm so happy!!
Unlike other things that wither, she preserves. She’s a constant in a world of relentless flux. She’s a beacon of immortality. Bitch, she’s Madonna.
MusicLover88
Manager

Postby navi » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:20 pm

heppolo wrote:Roger did his thing, Marin had some health issues but anyway, 8th Wimbledon title is just immense.
I would say mental issues
He simply could not stand the pressure,
and he suffered emotional breakdown because of too much expectations :(
(same as Venus yesterday)

Congratulations to Roger!
My year(s) in lists by Ivan (2008 - 2013)
navi
Superstar

Postby shirley » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:20 am

Wimbledon 2017: Roll of Honour
Gentlemen's Singles: Roger Federer (Switzerland)
Ladies Singles: Garbine Muguruza (Spain)
Gentlemen's Doubles: Lukasz Kubot (Poland)/Marcelo Melo (Brazil)
Ladies Doubles: Ekaterina Makarova/Elena Vesnina (Russia)
Mixed Doubles: Jamie Murray (Great Britain)/Martina Hingis (Switzerland)
Boys Singles: Alejandro Davidovich Fokina (Spain)
Girls Singles: Claire Liu (USA)
Boys Doubles: Axel Geller (Argentina)/Hsu Yu-hsiou (Taiwan)
Girls Doubles: Olga Danilovic (Serbia)/Kaja Juvan (Slovenia)
Wheelchair Men's Singles: Stefan Olsson (Sweden)
Wheelchair Ladies Singles: Diede de Groot (Netherlands)
Wheelchair Men's Doubles: Alfie Hewett/Gordon Reid (Great Britain)
Wheelchair Women's Doubles: Yui Kamiji (Japan)/Jordanne Whiley (Great Britain)
Gentlemen's Invitation Doubles: Lleyton Hewitt/Mark Philippoussis (Australia)
Senior Gentlemen's Invitation Doubles: Jaccp Eltingh/Paul Haarhuis (Netherlands)
Ladies Invitation Doubles: Martina Navratilova (USA)/Cara Black (Zimbabwe)
You taste just like glitter mixed with rock and roll
I'd rather be a comma than a full stop
shirley
Manager

Postby oasisbobo » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:22 pm

Great to see Lleyton Hewitt on the roll of honour 8-)
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:59 pm

Djokovic wont play again for the rest of the season!
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby heppolo » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:40 am

oasisbobo wrote:Djokovic wont play again for the rest of the season!
That's really bad news, I have to say. Not being a fan of Novak, but he is a terrific player and I hope he gets well to find his form again.
Can Roger do the 20 this year?
heppolo
Legend

Postby emilhot » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:29 pm

I watched the WTA semifinals in Sweden yesterday. Despite rain delays it was a great experience! Finally i got to watch Wozniacki play live, and it was a good match she played against Mertens! :D It was hard to watch her struggle in the final today with plain in her wrist and arm, but I hope that she will recover quickly. I have very high hopes for her performance at the US Open! 8-)
emilhot
Legend

Postby heppolo » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:13 pm

No Murray and Federer in Cincinnati means that on the August, 21st Nadal is going to get back to #1.
heppolo
Legend

Return to Sport