Postby DnBLover » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:01 pm

Anyone watching?

Bolt's last competition.
I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room
DnBLover
Legend

Postby DnBLover » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:50 pm

Mo Farah takes gold on the 10,000m. He should have been disqualified according to the rules but he deserved that medal. What a phenomenal athlete.

I'm rooting deeply for Bolt, but it's gonna be hard af.
DnBLover
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:57 am

I'm very excited for this years Championships.
Bolt will have to run very well to win Gold tonight
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby DnBLover » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:05 pm

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Bye Bolt. Forever the King.

Meanwhile, the British crowd was disgusting. Gatlin did deserve it.
DnBLover
Legend

Postby Colbie » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:12 pm

I will miss Bolt :cry:
Starry eyes sparking up my darkest night
Colbie
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:25 pm

The British public is full of hogwash to treat Gatlin with such contempt, and ignore some of their own athletes' none-too-stellar track records with drugs.

So, so proud of Gatlin to basically fight through all that animosity, and fight against the greatest 100/200 sprinter of all-time to get the gold at the age of 35! I even think there was some degree of strategy in his semi-final run, as I'm sure he preferred to get a lane as far away from Bolt as possible.

However, this bronze does nothing to tarnish the legacy of the great man. Bolt is an enigma, an almost superhuman talent, and one of the greatest competitors in sporting history. Athletics will miss him. :cry:
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby heppolo » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:54 pm

DnBLover wrote:Meanwhile, the British crowd was disgusting. Gatlin did deserve it.
Meanwhile, BBC (Mike Costello supposedly) highlighted "double standards of IAAF", placing Gatlin case on the same level with Russia.
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby DnBLover » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:00 am

WTF? How about double standards when it comes to Mo stepping out of the track on his own and not being desqualified? Yet the Kenyan was disqualified just last year for the same thing.

I was never a Gatlin fan but he worked his ass off and wanted this more than anyone else.
DnBLover
Legend

Postby heppolo » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:56 am

DnBLover wrote:WTF? How about double standards when it comes to Mo stepping out of the track on his own and not being desqualified? Yet the Kenyan was disqualified just last year for the same thing.

I was never a Gatlin fan but he worked his ass off and wanted this more than anyone else.
I am personally not against Gatlin, I just hope there isn't going to be another Lance Armstrong/Marion Jones sort of story eventually.
heppolo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:52 am

Colbie wrote:I will miss Bolt :cry:
Me too.
Last night was very strange. I've never felt like that watching Athletics before but it creates moments like that that you'll remember.
I've never been a fan of Gatlin but I felt sorry for him last night.
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:57 pm

The IAAF is a mess, too. They cut the live YouTube stream during Gatlin's medal ceremony. :-?
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby DnBLover » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:34 am

The IAAF keeps fcking up.
They've forbidden Makwala to run the 400m and now the 200m, the only real competitor Wayde Van Niekerk has, based on the assumption he has this gastric virus. Well, that has not been proven because he hasn't been tested and has only vomited twice. Then, they haven't explained how this virus is spread. And last but it least, the guy was already warming up for the final when they removed him.
It's fcking ridiculous.
DnBLover
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:08 am

DnBLover wrote:The IAAF keeps fcking up.
They've forbidden Makwala to run the 400m and now the 200m, the only real competitor Wayde Van Niekerk has, based on the assumption he has this gastric virus. Well, that has not been proven because he hasn't been tested and has only vomited twice. Then, they haven't explained how this virus is spread. And last but it least, the guy was already warming up for the final when they removed him.
It's fcking ridiculous.
Then he's miraculously declared fit to compete today in the 200, and they put him to do a solo time trial to get into the 200m semi-finals; he then has to run the semi-final a few hours later, and goes into the final tomorrow with two hard 200 races in his legs. Also, van Niekerk, who qualifies as the slowest lower 'q' qualifier somehow finds himself in lane three, and not the lane two such a performance would warrant. Honestly, I admire the South African's talent, and I've even told people how he is the most complete sprinter we've ever had, even better than Bolt, but it's hard not to read into the Makwala situation as blatant van Niekerk pandering. Anyway, let's see what madness awaits us tomorrow in that final.

I don't understand how London 2012 was so epic, and London 2017 has just gone to the wolves. Even some of the athletes' performances are bemusing me. Someone on Facebook posted, "London - the graveyard of champions" and I must say that it's proven to be true in an alarming number of cases.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby DnBLover » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:18 am

Van Niekerk won't win tomorrow. He was wrecked today.
But he's running in lane 3? How so??

Anyway, congrats for your girl Allyson Felix on matching Bolt's record. :D
Although at the expense of Miller :-?
DnBLover
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:32 am

DnBLover wrote:Van Niekerk won't win tomorrow. He was wrecked today.
But he's running in lane 3? How so??

Anyway, congrats for your girl Allyson Felix on matching Bolt's record. :D
Although at the expense of Miller :-?
Because the powers that be have already overinvested in him being the heir to Bolt's throne, and are doing everything within their power to facilitate his 200/400 double. They redrew his 400 semi-final when they realised the computer sorted him in a semi-final where he'd have to run for his life, and now they want to give him a semi-decent lane to complete the double.

van Niekerk may have been sandbagging it today. I remember his 400 semi-final from Rio, where he looked completely out of it, and was slotted to run from lane eight. He shattered the WR the next day, so it's tough to gauge his fitness from the way he runs the rounds.

My heart went out to Felix today. She was so scarred from the way that Rio final went that she went with the madwoman pace Miller-Uibo set, and they both paid the price in that home-straight.

Provided everything goes well, Felix should break Bolt's medal record. They both have 14 medals, but he has one relay to run versus her two. They're the male and female GOATs, though, and I hope she gets one-tenth of the love Bolt has gotten in his farewell tour.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby DnBLover » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:44 pm

Nelson Évora wins an unexpected Triple Jump Bronze medal at 33, 10 years later after being world champion at Osaka.

What an incredible athlete, one medal for Portugal!! :lol:

And Wayne lost the 200m to Gulyev. A slow final tbh
DnBLover
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:31 pm

It's been a great championships so far.
So many promising performances from young British (and in particular Scottish) Athletes 8-)
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby Colbie » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:05 pm

Yeass so happy Schippers won gold!
Starry eyes sparking up my darkest night
Colbie
Superstar

Postby oasisbobo » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:21 am

Colbie wrote:Yeass so happy Schippers won gold!
She was phenomenal! :)
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby DnBLover » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:18 pm

What an appalling end to Bolt's career, but a glorious win to the British team.
DnBLover
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:30 am

Shame that Bolt's career has ended with an individual bronze, and an unfortunate and untimely injury in the 4x1. He undeniably goes down as the greatest sprinter of all-time, and it was nice that the IAAF put on that cute little tribute to him. I wish the rest of Team Jamaica had put on a spirited show at these champs to prove that the tradition won't die with Bolt, but they did an awful job on that end.

On a brighter note, props to my girl, the great Allyson Felix on separating from Bolt and Ottey and becoming the most decorated athlete in world champs history. SIXTEEN medals, ELEVEN of which are gold!!!

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby DnBLover » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:25 am

What an outstanding athlete, she is.
DnBLover
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:42 am

DnBLover wrote:What an outstanding athlete, she is.
Absolutely!

What a championships it was! One of my favourite World Champs!
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby heppolo » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:25 pm

The track events were good, but the field ones weren't as thoroughly covered.
My country, Belarus, was left empty-handed for the first time in 10 years, I think.
heppolo
Legend

Return to Sport