Snooker Season 2017/18

Postby vivienne » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:36 pm

Talking of naturally talented snooker players like Ronnie O'Sullivan, anyone see the repeated Alex Higgins tribute programme just before Christmas? The Keith Moon of snooker, if you like, for those old enough to remember the hurricane in his heyday.
vivienne
Groupie

Postby vivienne » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:41 am

Anyone been following the masters tournament at Alexandra Palace? The Rocket against Neil Robertson in the semi-finals. Should be some match.
vivienne
Groupie

Postby oasisbobo » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:11 am

vivienne wrote:Anyone been following the masters tournament at Alexandra Palace? The Rocket against Neil Robertson in the semi-finals. Should be some match.
Yes. One of my favourite tournaments reminds me of one of my heroes Paul Hunter :)

I predicted a 6-2 win for Robertson and he didn't let me down. Robertson is playing close to perfect snooker!
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby vivienne » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:02 pm

Robertson played really well against O'Sullivan, the 6-2 scoreline was a great prediction, oasis.

Did not expect Shaun Murphy to beat Neil so easily in the final, though. The magician is certainly a contender for the world championship in my book.
vivienne
Groupie

Postby oasisbobo » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:05 pm

vivienne wrote:Robertson played really well against O'Sullivan, the 6-2 scoreline was a great prediction, oasis.

Did not expect Shaun Murphy to beat Neil so easily in the final, though. The magician is certainly a contender for the world championship in my book.
I didn't see that score line coming in the final! Total shock!

There are a few real contenders for the world title!
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:06 pm

Welsh Open quarter finals day. John Higgins and Mark Williams playing would love to see them both reach the final for old time sake.
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby cidermaster » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:55 pm

John Higgins in the Semis,come on!
cidermaster
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:57 am

cidermaster wrote:John Higgins in the Semis,come on!
Higgins/Williams final still on! :D
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:22 pm

Another final for John Higgins great to see! Hopefully this give him a little bit of confidence! :D
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby cidermaster » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:41 pm

And another Major Title for John Higgins,his 4th Welsh Open,now for a 5th World Title!
cidermaster
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:43 pm

cidermaster wrote:And another Major Title for John Higgins,his 4th Welsh Open,now for a 5th World Title!
Great seeing Higgins winning another title!
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:38 am

Michael White thrashed Ricky Walden 5-0 to win his first world ranking title at the Indian Open in Mumbai.

The Welshman, 23, followed up his first professional title at the Shoot-Out in Blackpool last week with a whitewash of England's Walden.

White opened with breaks of 81 and 77, and conceded just 27 points in total.

He had earlier beaten compatriot Mark Williams 4-2 in the semi-finals, while Walden edged out Thailand's world number 61, Thepchaiya Un-Nooh, 4-3.

White will move from his current ranking of 21 to within sight of the top 16, having never previously been beyond the quarter-finals of a ranking event.

"Ever since I first played snooker at the age of seven, I have dreamed of winning tournaments," White told World Snooker.

"It means everything to me, I can't describe how I'm feeling. Since I was nine, people have been on my back to win titles, although the only pressure I feel is what I put on myself. I just want to keep improving now.

"I know it was a quick final but my nickname is 'Lightning', so now you know why!"
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:11 pm

I've really been enjoying the new tournament the World Grand Prix on ITV4 :)
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:39 pm

Joe Perry has won the first ranking title of his career by beating Mark Williams in the final of the Players' Championship in Bangkok, Thailand.

The world number 13 from Cambridgeshire had to come from 3-0 down to triumph 4-3 and claim the £100,000 cheque.

"I've been playing snooker since I was 12 and all I've ever wanted is to win a major tournament," said Perry, 40.

"I've been really composed all week. I have been very calm at the table and haven't got nervous," he added.

Welshman Williams appeared on course for his 19th ranking title - and first since 2011 - after winning the first three frames with breaks of 64, 57 and 103.

But Perry won a scrappy fourth, then levelled the scores with breaks of 50 and 56, before runs of 54 and 24 sealed the decider.

He had seen off compatriot Stuart Bingham 4-1 in the earlier semi-final while Williams completed a 4-2 win over Judd Trump.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/32099500
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:38 am

Mark Selby through to the final of the China Open. Hopefully he can take another ranking title! 8-)
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:30 pm

Mark Selby completed the perfect preparation for his world title defence, beating fellow Englishman Gary Wilson in the final of the China Open.

Selby, 31, made a break of 145 in frame seven as he won 10-2 in Beijing.

Former taxi driver Wilson, ranked 56th, had shocked defending champion Ding Junhui 6-5 in Saturday's semi-finals.

The World Championship gets under way in Sheffield on 18 April, with Selby hoping to match last year's feat when he beat Ronnie O'Sullivan in the final.

"I played well for the majority of the match," Selby told World Snooker.

"To be 8-1 up at the end of the first session probably wasn't a fair reflection on how the match had gone, as a few frames could have gone either way but I managed to pinch them.

"I'll get home tomorrow, have a few days off and then get back on the practice table to prepare for the Crucible."

Selby moved 3-0 clear in Sunday's Beijing final before Wilson briefly slowed his progress with a break of 91.

The world number one showed he was in top form when the highest break of the tournament at 145 took him 6-1 clear, and a 136 clearance made it 9-1.

Wilson had never previously been beyond the quarter-finals of a ranking event, but the 29-year-old from Wallsend gained some consolation with a break of 101 to get on the board for a second time.

Selby was not about to be knocked off course, however, and wrapped up victory with seven frames to spare to earn his second ranking title of the season.

"I'm disappointed to have played like that and lost by such a heavy score line," said Wilson, who collected his biggest career cheque of £35,000.

"I missed a lot of chances. I can still take some positives from the tournament and look forward to the World Championship."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/32189681
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:06 am

World Championship qualifying: Steve Davis wins on final black
Six-time world champion Steve Davis kept his bid to reach this year's main draw on track - but only just, as he beat Jamie Cope 10-9 on the last black.

The 57-year-old has failed to qualify for the past four years and must win twice more to reach the competition proper at Sheffield's Crucible Theatre.

He led 4-0 and 9-7 and a break of 52 gave him the edge in the decider, but Stoke's Cope pushed him all the way.

Kurt Maflin or David Grace await Davis in the second qualifying round.

This year sees the 30th anniversary of the black-ball deciding frame that Davis lost to Northern Irishman Dennis Taylor in the 1985 world final, watched by a television audience of 18.5 million after midnight on BBC Two.

At the Ponds Forge venue in Sheffield, it was Davis's turn to profit from some last-frame nerves, as his 29-year-old opponent missed the pink and Davis potted it from long range before clipping in the black from a testing angle, using the rest.

In other games, China's number two Liang Wenbo came through 10-4 against England Chris Norbury, while there were also wins for Northern Ireland's Joe Swail and Welshman Dominic Dale.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/32262875
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby cidermaster » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:21 pm

John Higgins is finding good form again!
cidermaster
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:06 pm

cidermaster wrote:John Higgins is finding good form again!
Always good to see!

Nice to see Anthony McGill winning too!
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby cidermaster » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:19 pm

Matthew Stevens is in good form as well,he has got Ronnie next on saturday night,should be a belter!
cidermaster
Legend

Postby cidermaster » Mon May 04, 2015 4:11 pm

Great final,infact Brilliant!!!!!! Stuart Bingham has shown amazing Character and superb play!! He is 14-11 up going into the final session tonight.I predict 18-15 the final score to Bingham,but hey we shall see!
cidermaster
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Mon May 04, 2015 8:28 pm

Fantastic tournament and brilliant final! I had no idea Bingham was this good!

Final frame decider?? Currently 15-15!!
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Tue May 05, 2015 8:45 am

What a final!!

Stuart Bingham World Champion?? I can't believe it!!
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby cidermaster » Tue May 05, 2015 4:08 pm

Yes its was a fantastic final and a very worthy champion!
cidermaster
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Wed May 06, 2015 8:32 pm

cidermaster wrote:Yes its was a fantastic final and a very worthy champion!
The whole tournament was brilliant!

I cant wait for the new Scottish Open!!
oasisbobo
Legend

Return to Sport