Tennis Season 2013

Postby Wardo » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:48 pm

Hahaha I rarely watch her matches though. To be honest, most female matches are painful to watch. At least the doubles is a bit more exciting.
Wardo
Knight of Cups

Postby Michiel » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:59 pm

^ I kind of agree to a certain extent. As a belgian though and growing up during the Henin - Clijsters - Williams era I can't help but being more related to women's tennis. I remember the matches between those 4 like yesterday, it was def. one of the highest level era's in Women's tennis. Ofcourse that conclusion is very biased, because I wasn't alive during alot of women's era's. Henin defeating both Serena and Venus at the US open in 2007, Henin - Clijsters during the brisbane final in 2010, semifinals of wimbledon, Epic masters,... The paradox is though that when the both of the four made a GS final the matches were most of the time dreadful lol. Aside from those you also had Davenport, Capriati, Mauresmo, and even Sharapova,... I still remember that final against Justine Henin at the US open in 2006. Sharapova her power tennis was just out of this world. Sadly she never was able to regain that level of play.
The consistency of high level women players you can relate to nowadays is just almost non - existent. Serena is easily dominating women's tennis nowadays because of that. Radwanska, Azarenka & Sharapova are the only other three that have a certain degree of consistency. It's the main reason why players like Schiavone, Bartoli win a GS or the likes of Errani making a GS final. Those were the perfect sub toppers in the previous era and now they win a GS when they are 'older' players. I'm not saying these players suck, they are very good, but the constant shift in top ten players is evident, surprise players making GS SF (Pennatta making the US SF),... Women's tennis is still in the bin.
It make it less predictable ofcourse (apart from Serena). Potential top players just make a high, but can't handle the pressure afterwards (Ivanovic, Jankovic, Petrova, zvonareva, Kvitova,...). It's time within the next three years for a new generation to stand up.
The biggest issue may be the fault of the williams sisters, well you can't blame them ofcourse. I'm just saying that the power tennis they brought onto the courts is the kind of power tennis all the players wanna imitate. Which leads to alot of awful hit and miss matches. Power tennis in Women's tennis took an ugly form. I have the feeling that's going better now though, more and more players are starting to find/search for other solutions against the feared power tennis. Women's tennis still seems to be in a restoring phase though & I'm starting to wonder how much longer it will last.

That being said, I still love women's tennis :lol:. We also shouldn't forget that the men's game has just been blessed since the federer - nadal, and after that Fed - Nad - Djokovic - Murray era. Those extraordinary players make the women's game look worse in a certain way. If you know what I mean.
"Common sense is a chaotic aggregate of disparate conceptions, and one can find there anything that one like."
Last.FM
Instagram
Michiel
Legend

Postby cidermaster » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:04 pm

I think Federer went out in the last 16,because at the back of his mind you knew he would have to play a vintage Nadal,and he would have got hammered by the Spanish superstar,

Nadal looks set to win his 2nd US Open,what thing is for sure if anyone else wins it they will have to beat him,hell he has dropped his serve once in all 5 matchs so far!!!!
cidermaster
Legend

Postby phoenix83 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:55 pm

MichielMC wrote:^ I kind of agree to a certain extent. As a belgian though and growing up during the Henin - Clijsters - Williams era I can't help but being more related to women's tennis. I remember the matches between those 4 like yesterday, it was def. one of the highest level era's in Women's tennis. Ofcourse that conclusion is very biased, because I wasn't alive during alot of women's era's. Henin defeating both Serena and Venus at the US open in 2007, Henin - Clijsters during the brisbane final in 2010, semifinals of wimbledon, Epic masters,... The paradox is though that when the both of the four made a GS final the matches were most of the time dreadful lol. Aside from those you also had Davenport, Capriati, Mauresmo, and even Sharapova,..
I agree with you that the era of women's tennis from around 1999-2006 with all the following winning slams and being near to peak was incredible, and probably the strongest era ever for women's tennis (not saying that in a biased way either, if you look through womens' tennis history you'll see that it's usually just 2, maybe 3 greats dominating, never before or since have there been so many greats playing well at the same time);

S Williams
V Williams
Henin
Clijsters
Hingis
Davenport
Capriati
Mauresmo
Sharapova
Kuznetsova

All the above are multiple Grand Slam champions. The only 'weaker' player to win a slam in that period was Myskina at the 2004 FO. Otherwise it was the greats all the way...
http://nobilliards.blogspot.co.uk/ <---- Brilliant blog about all the UK No 1 albums.
phoenix83
Manager

Postby Wardo » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:04 pm

Great post, Michiel!

I only have something to say about this bit:

MichielMC wrote:We also shouldn't forget that the men's game has just been blessed since the federer - nadal, and after that Fed - Nad - Djokovic - Murray era.
You're right, still there are LOADS of good players outside that top 4 who present awesome matches (Hewitt and Gasquet come to mind in this US Open), no matter if they eventually reach the finals. As for the women... even some top seeds' matches are a joke.
Wardo
Knight of Cups

Postby Michiel » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:35 pm

^Absolutely true. I'm also a huge fan of Wawrinka (really anxious to see what he is gonna do against Murray later on today) & he is also a very underrated player. The base of subtop players (next to Murray, Djoko, Nadal & ?Fed?) is unbelieveable broad. Most of them are very underrated. It's just those 4 are THAT good. Well I genuinely hope fed finds a way back.
"Common sense is a chaotic aggregate of disparate conceptions, and one can find there anything that one like."
Last.FM
Instagram
Michiel
Legend

Postby Michiel » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:58 pm

My words aren't cold yet... Bye Murray!
Last.FM
Instagram
Michiel
Legend

Postby SeeForever » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:02 pm

What a great performance by Stan! Maybe Andy didn't play his best but I think Stan got under his skin and forced Andy to try too hard at times

Some of Stan's winners were brilliant, if he plays like this in the semis he has a very good chance of upsetting Novak (who surely will win later)

A Serena/Victoria woman's final seems likely but I think one of them might get upset in the semis
RIP The Queen Of Disco
SeeForever
Legend

Postby Wardo » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:02 pm

MichielMC wrote:My words aren't cold yet... Bye Murray!
I know!!!! :o
Wardo
Knight of Cups

Postby DrunkOnLove » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:21 pm

Stan deserved that. Played the match of his life.
DrunkOnLove
Groupie

Postby navi » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:51 am

I must say it's surprise, but i think he hasn't any chance against Đoković (Murray has).
This means that Đoković stays at no. 1 after US Open no matter if he wins or lose final.
navi
Superstar

Postby bezza888 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:57 am

Well done Stan. Sad for Murray but at least it keeps him grounded, and he can build on this for next year.

Surprised to see Flavia Pennetta in the semi final. I watched her play Bartoli at Eastbourne this year, and she was dominated. Her temper seemed to be the issue. Good luck to her against Azarenka - as we've seen this year, anything is possible :)
Keri Hilson ¦ Agnes ¦ Solange ¦ Jessie J ¦ Hilary Duff ¦ Pink ¦ Paloma Faith
bezza888
Personal Assistant

Postby cidermaster » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:35 pm

But Nadal is going to win this,and he then will be in full reality the world number one!
cidermaster
Legend

Postby SeeForever » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:32 pm

I guess the women's semis were just a bit predictable sadly, though if Azarenka plays like that again she hasn't got a chance in the final against Serena, Pennetta won't get a better chance of making a major final

Then again I don't think Victoria has a hope anyway Serena is on another planet compared to everyone else
RIP The Queen Of Disco
SeeForever
Legend

Postby kushi » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:38 pm

Azarenka is the type of player who can play absolute trash one match, but can bounce back and play the match of her life. I think Serena will win in 2, but I hope Vika wins in 3.

I really really really hope Djokovic wins this semi and then wins the final. Wawrinka seems to be playing the tournament of his life though! :o
Thriller wrote:Not a real song, post it in one of your hit This N That threads
kushi
Legend

Postby stevyy » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:42 pm

luv djoko: i hope he wins the final. nadal is overrated. retire already :lol:

as for serena, i've not seen a female player dominating a GS like that since.. ehm the graf era.

I'm sure she will win in 2 sets.. and maybe only needs an hour for that. :lol:
stevyy
Legend

Postby Michiel » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:47 pm

^Seems very likely! I hope not, but the way both are playing this tournament... It seems very obvious. You never know I guess? :D
Last.FM
Instagram
Michiel
Legend

Postby DrunkOnLove » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:00 am

I'm so happy Serena done it. Absolute legend.

I gained a new respect for Azarenka after that final. She'll win more slams in the future, no doubt.
DrunkOnLove
Groupie

Postby Wardo » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:46 am

Azarenka crying actually hit me hard. These pros put a lot of energy and effort into the tournaments. And though a 2nd place is amazing, it will hardly be remembered.

I can't believe Eamon will watch Nadal x Djokovic. What a match!!!! :D
Wardo
Knight of Cups

Postby navi » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:04 am

I am so thrilled, Croatia have a winners in both junior competition.
Hope that future is so bright to us. Remember the names Ana Konjuh and Borna Ćorić.
It seems that Đoković isn't good as they used to be, phenomenal Stan.
Not a fan, but congrats to Serena.
My year(s) in lists by Ivan (2008 - 2013)
navi
Superstar

Postby samra » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:39 am

YAS SLAYRENA!!! She's coming to snatch Graff's wig.

I hope she can win the Aus Open next year.
Listen to my 2016 Eurovision Song Contest entry: MIRACLE
samra
Superstar

Postby aaliyahman » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:09 pm

samra wrote:YAS SLAYRENA!!! She's coming to snatch Graff's wig.

I hope she can win the Aus Open next year.
"What goes around comes back around my baby"
aaliyahman
Superstar

Postby Westen » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:12 pm

I'm happy for Serena, I never liked Azarenka and i wish Ana had more luck in match against her

I wish it's 2011 again so Nole could beat the crap out of Nadal, now i'm afraid Nadal will beat him easier than Murray in Wimbledon finale :(

glad Jelena is back in top 10 :)
Westen
Superstar

Postby cidermaster » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:01 pm

Now for by the far the main event,the mens final.

Nadal to win in 4 hard fought sets!
cidermaster
Legend

Postby Wardo » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:17 pm

cidermaster wrote:Now for by the far the main event,the mens final.
Yes! 15 minutes to go!
Wardo
Knight of Cups

Return to Sport