Track & Field

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:39 pm

I know I run the risk of conversing with myself for pages on end but I'll take my chances. :lol:
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:46 pm

Well, right now the biggest news story related to track is Jamaican sprint queen, Veronica Campbell-Brown, being suspended after failing a drug test.

Jamaica's Veronica Campbell-Brown suspended after failing drug test

theguardian wrote:Jamaica's twice Olympic 200 metres champion Veronica Campbell-Brown was suspended by her national federation on Tuesday following a positive test for a banned diuretic at a meeting in May.

"The Jamaican Athletics Administrative Association (JAAA) can now confirm that a case concerning Mrs Veronica Campbell-Brown is currently ongoing," the Jamaican governing body said in a statement.

"She has been provisionally suspended from competition awaiting the outcome of a disciplinary panel that will be empanelled to hear this case."

The JAAA said Jamaica's most successful female athlete had voluntarily withdrawn from competition and accepted the provisional suspension. "There are two things that are unmistakable about Veronica Campbell-Brown," her manager Claude Bryan said in a statement. "On the one hand she has had good success on the track and on the other she has always stood for and carried herself with dignity."

Bryan said that being accused of infringing anti-doping rules was a shock to Campbell-Brown. "Veronica is not a cheat, she has via hard work and dedication accomplished a record on the track which is absolutely remarkable," he said.

The 31-year-old, who was the first Jamaican athlete, male or female, to win a global 100 metres title, tested positive for a diuretic, which can be used to mask the use of performance-enhancing drugs, at the International Invitational World Challenge on 4 May.

The JAAA had not previously identified Campbell-Brown but said it would allow a disciplinary team to carry out a hearing as soon as it received notification of the B sample.

Sources close to Jamaican athletics said the banned diuretic was contained in a cream which Campbell-Brown was using to treat a leg injury and which she had declared on her doping control form.

They said an important factor was whether or not the diuretic appeared on the label of the cream. The World Anti-Doping Agency has a strict liability policy under which athletes are held responsible for any drug found in their body.
VCB has enjoyed her fair share of wins over the years but she's weathered some major losses too and she strikes me as too honest an athlete to resort to using performance-enhancing drugs. I really hope the situation is resolved as soon as possible because it will be a poorer World Championships this year if she's not present to contest and defend her 200m crown. :(
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:40 am

Ato Boldon's Picks to Win at the US and Jamaican National Championships

I agree with pretty much all of his picks save for his oversight of Allyson Felix in the 100m. Granted, Allyson is annoyingly inconsistent at the 100 (and I think it's easily her weakest event among the 100, 200, and 400) but Allyson knows how important it is for her to make the team in the 100 so she can be in prime sprinting form for her baby event so I expect her to deliver her best and once she's in a decent position at 50, I know she's a very viable candidate for a Top 3 finish. If she doesn't make the 100m team, I think that puts her at great risk to lose to Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce at the Worlds this year which is something neither her nor myself would like to see.

I think Sanya Richards may need a miracle to make it on the US team but I've seen some pretty spectacular surprises from her so let's hope she has another ace up her sleeve.

I've not been keeping up with Asafa's progress this season but if he's competing, he should be a pretty big threat to make the 100m team over Warren Weir.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:48 pm

I was very impressed with the performances from the American and Jamaican national trials, moreso with the US women though. I think the Americans look poised to reclaim their title as the sprint capital of the world with some fresh, talented new faces.

Highlights (US):

- Brianna Rollins's scorching 12.26 in the women's 100m hurdles. She smashed the thirteen year-old American record, ran the fastest time in twenty-one years, and ran the fourth fastest time ever in the event! All that and she's only twenty-one years old plus she only turned professional last month! :o If I had to award an athlete for most outstanding performance at their national trials, it'd be this girl right here. Proper impressed by her and I can't wait to see the clash of the titans final with her and Sally Pearson in Russia!

- Tyson Gay returning to pre-injury form. I was very happy to see Tyson winning the men's 100m and 200m. I hate when injuries plague an athlete's performance and really and truly, Tyson's the only American who can present a substantial challenge to Bolt's dominance. And looking the world leading times he ran in the 100 and 200, he's established himself as the pre-World Champs favourite to win. I'm curious to see if, and how, Usain responds. Yohan too, of course!

- English Gardner in the women's 100m. Much like Brianna Rowlins, English only turned pro a mere two weeks ago so her red hot time of 10.85 seconds presents her as a promising contender for a podium placement in Russia. The entire field was strong though. I see why Allyson opted to not run the 100. Quite frankly, she might not even have made the finals the way the American women were running! :o

Highlights (Jamaica):

- Shelly-Ann Fraser Pryce in the women's 200m. She blasted the curve so the last 100 was pretty much a walk in the Tucson Meadows for her. She's a very dangerous threat for the 100, 200 double in Russia with that fresh 22.13 to her credit.

- Warren Weir in the men's 200m. Were it not for his showboating at the end, he could've run an even more impressive time but that 19.79 which stands as the second fastest of the year thus far means that the Jamaican men could sweep the podium in Moscow if Tyson Gay doesn't bring his A game.

My Favourite Race From Either Trials:

- Allyson Felix in the women's 200m. I've been a huge fan of this lady for almost nine years now and I've watched practically every race that she's ever run. Before Sunday afternoon, I don't think I've ever seen her passed in the final 50 of any 200m race. It's so uncharacteristic of her. Major congrats to Kimberlyn Duncan on pulling off a very impressive win. I'm sure if the wind was legal, she'd have end up running the fastest time of the year. I have no doubt that Allyson and her coach will put in some intense training between now and Worlds (they have seven weeks to do some major speed work and endurance training) and she will likely reclaim her 200m title that she lost to VCB two years ago. Very exciting race though! Close, just like I love them! :D
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby PosziMC2 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:02 pm

Empress Allyson will snatch wigs as always
P=MC2's Top 20
Merci wrote:Poszilicious, pussy served delicious!
PosziMC2
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:38 am

^ Of course! That's pretty much a given. She started training two months late so she's a bit rusty but I'm sure Bobby will have her gears oiled so she'll be a lean, mean, wig-snatching machine in Moscow in four and a half weeks.

Speaking of Allyson, she was scheduled to compete at the Lausanne meet a week ago but for some reason she opted to sit it out. I expected the newly crowned US champion, Kimberlyn Duncan, to decimate the field in the women's 200m but she actually finished third (with a sub-par time too) which is a bit worrying. Has she peaked? Anyway, here are what I'd deem the highlights of the Lausanne meet:

- Tyson Gay running a blister 9.79 to win the men's 100m. He seems to be in such exquisite form this season that I get the sense that Usain Bolt is in legitimate danger!

- Francena McCorory handing Amantle Montsho her first defeat of the season in the women's 400m. I'd still place my bet on the Botswanian to win at the World Champs this year but I'm excited to see how much pressure Francena can put on her in the final.

- Dawn Harper-Nelson clenching the victory in the women's 100m hurdles. It was a relatively close race with the first seven women finishing within .16 seconds of each other. I was disappointed with Sally Pearson's performance but I hope she can get it together for her clash with Brianna Rowlins next week. I doubt she can take down Brianna but the American women don't seem to be performing too hot outside of the US.

As for the Paris meet three days ago, the highlights for me would be:

- Usain Bolt answering Tyson Gay's US national performance with an impressive 19.73 in the men's 200m, setting a new world leading time in the process. Any question of his fitness was put to rest with this run. He still needs some fine tuning to be guaranteed the gold in Moscow though. Warren Weir ran a solid second place too.

- Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce squeaking ahead of Blessing Okagbare to win the women's 100m. Blessing is in such excellent form this year! I think it'll be between her and Shelly-Ann for the gold this year and though Shelly-Ann is the odds-on favourite to win still, Blessing could pull off the upset. The US champion, English Gardner, ran a pretty pedestrian time for a fifth place finish though. That trend of the American women delivering sub-par runs outside the States is odd. Maybe it's because they're such a young crop.

- Kirani James running a blistering 43.96 in the men's 400m. When he had the lead coming off the turn in the final 100, I thought for sure that he'd be able to put some distance between himself and LeShawn but LeShawn fought back. I still don't see Kirani losing at Moscow though.

All in all, there have been a few surprises at the last two Diamond League meets but no major upsets thus far. Carmelita does not seem to be at 100% and I don't think she'll be there in time to defend her 100m crown either. Shame. :(

I'm excited for the meet in Monaco next week Friday. I'm crossing my fingers that Allyson opts to run one more 200 before the World Champs but if Bobby thinks it's best for her not to, I guess it won't kill me not to see my girl in one race.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:36 pm

Tyson Gay tests positive for banned substance

American sprinter Tyson Gay has tested positive for a banned substance and has pulled out of next month's World Championships.

Gay, the world's second fastest man over 100m, said he was notified by the US Anti-Doping Agency on Friday that his A sample from an out-of-competition test in May had returned a positive.

His B sample is yet to be tested.

"I don't have a sabotage story... I basically put my trust in someone and was let down," said Gay, 30.

"I made a mistake. I am pulling out of Monaco (this week's Diamond League meeting) and the World Championships."

The 2007 world champion has clocked the three fastest times of this year. Usain Bolt is the only athlete to ever run faster than Gay's 9.69 personal best.

Gay won the 100m at the Jamaica Invitational athletics meeting in May with a time of 9.86 seconds, before clocking 9.75 seconds - the fastest time of 2013 - to win the US World Championships trials the following month.

Gay's preparations for August's World Championships in Moscow continued with victory in the men's 100m at the Diamond League meeting in Lausanne, running 9.79 seconds.

He has suffered with injuries in recent years. A hip injury forced him to withdraw from the 2011 US world trials 100m semi-finals, before the subsequent surgery ruled him out of running for the rest of the year.

He returned to the track in 2012 and qualified for the 100m at the London Olympics by finishing second in the US Olympic trials to Justin Gatlin.

Gay, who also runs at 200m, then won the 100m at both the Paris and London legs of the 2012 Diamond League before coming fourth at the Games in London.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/23307913
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:39 pm

James Dasaolu becomes second-fastest Briton in history

James Dasaolu clocked an astonishing 9.91 seconds in the 100m semi-finals at the British Championships to become the second fastest Briton in history.

In warm and still conditions, the 25-year-old broke the championship record with one of the fastest times of 2013.

Dasaolu's time has only been bettered by former world and Olympic champion Linford Christie's 9.87secs - in 1993.

Dai Greene, Rhys Williams, Asha Philip, Tiffany Porter and Christine Ohuruogu qualified for the World Championships.

But it was Dasaolu's performance which took the breath away as the Briton produced a time which suggested he might, one day, achieve his aim of breaking the American-Jamaican duopoly in the sprints.

His fourth personal best this year before a stunned crowd at Birmingham's Alexander Stadium was three-hundredths of a second faster than Jamaica's six-time Olympic champion Usain Bolt has managed this year.

Tyson Gay (9.75), Asafa Powell (9.88) and Justin Gatlin (9.89) are the only sprinters to have covered the distance quicker in 2013.

"I knew I was going to run quick from the first step," the Loughborough-based athlete, whose previous record was 10.03secs, told BBC Sport.

"Once you get to 60-70m, your body is running as quick as it can and it's all about relaxation. Because I was so far ahead it was much easier to relax."

Indeed, Dasaolu looked at the clock and raised his arms in disbelief as he comfortably finished ahead of a field which included Mark Lewis-Francis.

He now joins Christie, Dwain Chambers and Jason Gardener on the list of Britons who have dipped under the 10-second barrier in the 100m.

"As a sprinter, you want to go underneath 10 seconds and I'm happy to do that," added Dasaolu, whose early career had been hampered by injuries.

"Sub-10 is a big thing for me and I just hope to continue running sub-10s. I'm happy with 9.91 and I just want to build on that."

Dasaolu, however, withdrew from the final after experiencing cramp following his win.

"My ultimate aim is to be fit for Moscow and I don't want to risk an injury competing in the final," explained the sprinter who, despite not winning the 100m title, is certain of his place when the British team is announced on Tuesday because of his blistering form this season.

In Dasalou's absence, 35-year-old Chambers collected his seventh British title - and secured his place in the British team for Moscow - by winning the final in 10.04 seconds.

The Championships serve as trials for the World Championships, although the winner of each event will only be selected provided they have also met the 'A' standard set by UK Athletics.

As a reigning world champion, Dai Greene did not have to worry about qualifying for Moscow but he did ease fears over his form and fitness by winning the men's 400m hurdles.

In a close finish, the 27-year-old was neck-and-neck with compatriot Rhys Williams over the final hurdle before pulling ahead on the home straight in a season's best 48.66secs.

Greene's wildcard entry for Russia means Williams, by finishing second in a personal best 48.85 secs, has also earned a place on the British team.

Meanwhile, 2008 Olympic champion Ohuruogu (50.98) comfortably won the women's 400m.

A personal best 11.20secs saw Asha Philip become women's 100m British Champion, while Porter - who had already achieved the 'A' standard - won the women's 100m hurdles.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/23281670
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:57 pm

Massive shame about Tyson. I was really rooting for him. To have battled injuries for four years and to finally be returning to form again this year was so inspiring to see and I truly believed he had the ability to topple Usain. The men's 100 and 200 will be far less exciting with his name withdrawn. :(
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:16 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Massive shame about Tyson. I was really rooting for him. To have battled injuries for four years and to finally be returning to form again this year was so inspiring to see and I truly believed he had the ability to topple Usain. The men's 100 and 200 will be far less exciting with his name withdrawn. :(
Yeah such a shame. I quite liked Tyson. He is a great athlete a doesn't need drugs. Shame :(
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:22 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Massive shame about Tyson. I was really rooting for him. To have battled injuries for four years and to finally be returning to form again this year was so inspiring to see and I truly believed he had the ability to topple Usain. The men's 100 and 200 will be far less exciting with his name withdrawn. :(
Asafa Powell now too :(
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:22 pm

DEFENDING CHAMPIONS BLAKE AND RUDISHA OUT OF WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

IAAF wrote:Yohan Blake and David Rudisha will not defend their titles at the IAAF World Championships in Moscow next month as both athletes are injured.

Blake, who won the 100m gold medal in Daegu two years ago, has been battling with a hamstring injury since April.

He did not compete at the Jamaican Championships, but as the defending World champion he had the benefit of a wildcard entry for Moscow. However, he recently realised that his injury would not have sufficiently healed in time to compete at the World Championships.

“This decision was made after continual assessment and re-evaluations since his withdrawal from the Jamaican Senior Championships,” said Blake’s manager Cubie Seegobin.

“Yohan has made vast improvement, although the injury sustained in April of this year has prevented him from attaining the necessary fitness levels that we have grown accustomed to seeing in his competition performances.”

Rudisha, meanwhile, has been out of action since May when he felt pain in his knee on his way to winning the 800m at the New York Grand Prix.

Winner of the 800m at the 2011 World Championships, Rudisha will not be present in Moscow after his coach, Colm O’Connell, decided not to rush Rudisha’s recovery.

“Doctors in Germany said it may take three weeks for him to recover and we thought he would have seven weeks of training,” said O’Connell.

“We held back hoping for improvement, and he has improved quite a lot, but we didn’t want to do a crash course between now and the World Championships, which may aggravate the injury.”
Yet another major name out in the men's sprints, this time the defending champion! :( Shame about Rudisha too.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:49 am

Shame about Blake. James Dasaolu will have a really good chance of a medal!
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:15 pm

Okay, I have a bit of catching up to do so here are my thoughts on the last two track meets (well, technically the London meet is still ongoing but most of the major races have already been contested). My Monaco highlights would be:

- Murielle Ahoure winning the women's 200m. I thought for sure Shelly-Ann had this victory in the bag. Murielle upsetting both her and Allyson this year makes her a dangerous lady at the Worlds in the next two weeks. She ran an excellent race though but I was definitely disappointed with Kimberlyn Duncan. Since her win at the US Nationals last month, she hasn't been running up to par. I had originally pegged her to be a medal contender in Moscow but her recent questionable performances are starting to make me doubt her ability to deliver outside of the States. Also, I was mega-disappointed that Jeter was a no-show. :(

- Amantle Montsho winning the women's 400m. If there's anyone I would put my head on a block for to say he/she is definitely capturing gold in their event, it'd be this lady here. "Dominant" is the only word that does her performances this season justice. Exceptional race for her and kudos to her for breaking the diamond league record, national record, and turning in the quickest clocking of 2013 thus far. Major props to Stephanie and Francena on churning out personal bests as well but no one this year is in Montsho's league. The gold is hers to lose.

- The US Red and Blue teams owning the field in the women's 4x100m relay. With VCB out of the Worlds this year and with the American women running as impressively as they have, the Americans should be able to win in dominant fashion again this year once they manage to get the stick around. Lord knows their history of that though. :roll:

- Justin Gatlin winning the men's 100m. He doesn't stand a chance against Usain but it was a solid run especially given the headwind he ran into.

As for the London meet, my highlights would be:

- Usain Bolt registering a season's best performance in the 100m. I'm so happy to see him peaking at the right time. He has zero competition at the Worlds this year so I expect him to re-gain his world champion title in the 100. Shame Britain's James Dasalou didn't show though.

- Blessing Okagbare running a blistering 10.79 in the women's 100 to upset favourite Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce. For me, this was a shocker only because Shelly-Ann had run even faster mere hours before but I'd still class this as a minor hiccup for Shelly-Ann. She's still the odds-on favourite heading into Worlds but Blessing will be hot on her heels for sure. Carmelita being a no-show in the final is a bit worrisome. It's the second race she's not run and I can't help but feel that her health is not where it needs to be to defend her crown or even medal.

- The Jamaican men winning the men's 4x100m relay. I think it'll be a huge clash between them and the Americans at Worlds but I'd give the edge to the Jamaicans right now just because of how well they've been running individually.

- Allyson Felix winning the women's 200m. Well, everyone knows that this is the event I was most excited to see and though Felix did win, as I expected her to, the fact that she had to struggle in the last 50 against Solomon is a huge red flag for me. She has not been able to separate from the field at all this year and I can't help but feeling that she's not at 100%. I don't know what miracle Bobby is going to manage to work with her between now and Worlds but if she runs the way she ran today at Worlds, she may be out of medal contention. That will break my heart (and hers) so I really hope she goes back to the drawing board and good 'ol Allyson with the unwavering endurance, effortless grace, and deadly speed returns. It's rare that she's this rusty before a major global championship though.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:01 am

And the World Championships are knocking at the door! I'm so excited! :D As per usual, I've made my prediction for the medal winners in the sprint events.

Men's 100m

1st: Usain Bolt
2nd: Nesta Carter
3rd: Justin Gatlin

I think the gold medal might as well be inscribed "Usain Bolt" at this point. With both Tyson Gay and Yohan Blake out, he'll have no problem clenching the victory here. The clash for silver will be far more interesting. Though I've got Nesta and Justin as the top two contenders, the young Briton James Dasaolu could do some damage too.

Women's 100m

1st: Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce
2nd: Blessing Okagbare
3rd: English Gardner

Unlike their men's race, the women's 100m dash will be far less interesting. Though I still tip Shelly-Ann as the odds-on favourite, Blessing's been running so well this season that unless Shelly-Ann can separate early, the race could be Blessing's. I expect Kelly-Ann Baptiste and Americans Barbara Pierre and Octavius Freeman to fight for the bronze but my crystal ball tells me that of the trio of American women, English probably has the best chance to get third. It'll be a travesty if the American women can't place here (it'd be the first time in a long while too) but with Carmelita not at 100%, it's quite probable.

Men's 200m

1st: Usain Bolt
2nd: Warren Weir
3rd: Nickel Ashmeade

I foresee a Jamaican sweep here. It'd probably be the biggest upset of the games if Usain loses. It's his better event between this and the 100 and the special time he's been talking about uncorking is more likely to happen in the 200 than the 100. I doubt the time will come too close to the world record he set but he's surprised me before so I'll expect the unexpected. Warren and Nickel are both safe bets for medals. I don't see any American upsetting the Jamaican trio.

Women's 200

1st: Allyson Felix
2nd: Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce
3rd: Kimberlyn Duncan

Probably the toughest race to predict because I have a very obvious bias towards Miss Felix. Due to starting training almost two months late, she's not been running in the dominant fashion she did leading up to her impressive 200m victory at the Olympics last year so I'm a bit hesitant to declare her the favourite when you've got the likes of Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce (the world leader in the event) running so well but hey, she's still Allyson Felix and I suspect that Bobby has trained her well enough for her to peak when it counts. Kimberlyn Duncan is the lady I have pegged for bronze because of how well she ran at the US Nationals but since then, her times have been rather pedestrian. If she doesn't get her act together, I can see Murielle Ahoure or Blessing Okagbare beating her to the line and the young Bahamian Anthonique Strachan has been running well too. In my opinion, this will be the race to watch. It's very hard to call.

Men's 400m

1st: Kirani James
2nd: LaShawn Merritt
3rd: Tony McQuay

The eleven fastest times in the world this year belong to Kirani or LaShawn. I'd put my head on a block that they'll finish 1-2. I expect Tony McQuay to clench the bronze. This race is relatively easy to predict, as the 400m usually is.

Women's 400m

1st: Amantle Montsho
2nd: Antonina Krivoshapka
3rd: Kseniya Ryzhova

Amantle Montsho has been dominant this season so I expect her to win but I know the Russian women will be hot on her heels and who knows if the added adrenaline from being in their home country will elicit personal best performances from them. They'll need to deliver the best times of their lives to overcome Amantle. That's for sure. Americans Francina McCrory and Natasha Hastings could put forth a substantial challenge and Jamaican Stephanie McPherson has been running well too. Then there's Christine Ohurogu who always peaks at these major global championships. This is another marquee event. So many quality athletes!
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:37 pm

Looking forward to the 100m and hopefully Mo Farah can do the business in the 10,000 meters! :D
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:17 am

I'm really excited for these championships. I'm sure Great Britain are gonna have a great one!
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:00 pm

Strong men's 100m final! My prediction of Usain-Nesta-Justin for 1,2,3 was a bit off with Justin and Nesta switching places but of course Usain won and in a decent time too. I feel if Tyson had been there, Usain would've lost but much respect to Usain on grabbing the gold! With the Jamaicans getting first, third, fourth, and fifth, I think it's safe to say that the Americans will be running for silver in the men's 4x100m final.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:13 pm

Fantastic final! Usain ran a great race, If he got his start in order and conditions were perfect I'd love to see him run flat out. His time would be scary. 9.4 something? Maybe?

Would love the see the 600m race between Usain and Mo Farah.
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:22 pm

^ Taller athletes tend to not have such a speedy start but I thought his start was pretty solid for his standards. I've seen him accelerate faster but by 50m, I knew the race was his. It'll be interesting to see him try to take down his 100 and 200m world records in the upcoming years. He's set the bar so high but it'll be exciting to see just how much further up it can go!
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby cidermaster » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:53 am

Bolt is a legend of legends!!!!!!!! A true Super Superstar!!!!!!!!!!
cidermaster
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:44 pm

OMG at the women's 100 and 400m finals! :o

Shelly-Ann just decimated the field. I knew she would win but that gap was huge! :o The race was pretty much over at 20m! 10.71 into a headwind is crazy. With a tailwind plus competition, she could've clocked in something in the mid 10.6's! With this momentum, I can definitely see her winning the 200m too but Allyson's not going to let that happen without a fight. I predict the winner will need to deliver a sub-22 second performance. Kudos to Murielle and Carmelita on the silver and bronze, respectively, especially Carmelita who I still feel wasn't at 100%. Blessing's performance was disastrous. I expected a much better run from her.

I know Christine Ohurogu peaks at these major global championships but for her to sneak in like that to steal the gold from Amantle was just crazy! So, so close! It reminded me of the last World Championship final where Allyson almost bested Amantle in the home straight but came up short by a few centimeters. Kudos to Christine though and to Amantle as well. Antonina ran a pretty solid race too.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:06 am

I was very disappointed in Kirani James's performance in the men's 400m final. To come in as the favourite then deliver a seventh-place finish is heavily upsetting. I really thought he was going to come back in the final 100 and deliver a Christine Ohoroghu-esque finish like he normally does but instead he faded away. Didn't expect that at all especially as he's often revered as the 400's Usain Bolt (at the moment at least). :( Excellent run from LaShawn though. Kudos to Tony McQuay and Luguelin Santos on collecting silver and bronze, respectively.

Allyson Felix looked indomitable in her 200m rounds. She looks ready to reclaim her half-lap crown. I think it's going to be tough for Shelly-Ann to overcome her in tomorrow's final but it's been a tough championships to call so we'll see. I'd still place all my money on Felix though and I can't wait to see the sure-to-be clash-of-the-titans duel tomorrow! It promises to be my favourite race of the entire championships, especially if it's close (and Allyson wins).
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:44 am

Great run by Adam Gemili in the 200m
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:02 pm

oasisbobo wrote:Great run by Adam Gemili in the 200m
I take that back! THAT was a fantastic run by Adam!

2013 has been a great year for british sprinting!
oasisbobo
Legend

Return to Sport