Track & Field

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:18 pm

I was gutted to see Allyson not finish that 200 final. I was just lamenting the other day as to how grateful I was that she had been pretty much injury-free for the decade she's ruled women's sprinting and now this happens. I sensed about 30m into the race something was wrong but when I saw her grimace then drop to the track, my heart almost broke. I know how hard she's worked and for injury to have tarnished this global championship for her is just tragic. In my heart, I know she would have won that race had she finished it and clenched that record-breaking ninth gold medal to distinguish herself as the athlete with the most World Championship gold medals but it just was not meant to be.

But first and foremost, I trust that this injury is not too serious. According to the quote below, we still have to wait on confirmation for that. :(

AllysonFelix wrote:I’m extremely devastated. I was really hoping to go out there and put together a great race,” Felix said. “Now I am consulting with doctors to figure out what is going on with my right hamstring. It is a serious injury, but I don’t know exactly to what extent. I wish all of my teammates the best for the rest of the meet.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Formusic » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:23 pm

so sad for Felix ! she s such a sweetheart !

this was a good tournament, not as amazing as 2013 Barcelona world swimming championships aka Franklin's show 8-) pity with the 4*100 women, the US team made a huge mistake, it could ve made the US at the first place above Russia :P but nevermind, the Russian team was at home, they deserved it :) Bolt was untouchable ! a true monster :o

I have a question, since we know Asafa Powell cheated, shouldn t it make Jamaica's record (100*4 men) invalid ? even if the three other athletes were clean ?
The yuppies networking, the panic, the vomit, the panic, the vomit, God loves his children, God loves his children...yeah.
Formusic
Manager

Postby phoenix83 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:38 pm

I feel sorry for Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce. She just became the first woman ever to win the sprint triple (100m, 200m, 4 x 100m) at the World Championships, yet is overshadowed by Bolt all the time. So, I just wanted to say congrats to the Pocket Rocket! :P

(And also to Christine Ohuruogu - how on earth she manages to win races from such impossible positions, I will never know, but that's yet another major 400m crown for her - an inspirational performance from the GB captain)
http://nobilliards.blogspot.co.uk/ <---- Brilliant blog about all the UK No 1 albums.
phoenix83
Manager

Postby oasisbobo » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:29 pm

Formusic wrote:I have a question, since we know Asafa Powell cheated, shouldn t it make Jamaica's record (100*4 men) invalid ? even if the three other athletes were clean ?
It could possibly mean this yes. We need to wait for his b sample and a couple other things.

Well done team GB fantastic championship for us! Can't wait for the Commonwealth games next year! 8-)
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:27 pm

Congrats to Bolt on the 200m gold (it was expected as he had pretty much no genuine competition) and to the Jamaican men and women on their 4x100m victories. The US was expected to win the men's 4x400m but I knew with Sanya Richards-Ross and Allyson Felix not in the line up that the American women were vulnerable. I know Ashley Spencer is beating herself up for that fatal error she made with that exchange. The American women did a shoddy job with the second exchange from second to third runner in the 4x100m final too.

To be honest, this World Championships was definitely tainted for me because of Felix's injury. I'll always enjoy the sport but to have my all-time favourite name not out there competing and sidelined by a torn hamstring was very upsetting. :(

Formusic wrote:so sad for Felix ! she s such a sweetheart !

this was a good tournament, not as amazing as 2013 Barcelona world swimming championships aka Franklin's show 8-) pity with the 4*100 women, the US team made a huge mistake, it could ve made the US at the first place above Russia :P but nevermind, the Russian team was at home, they deserved it :) Bolt was untouchable ! a true monster :o

I have a question, since we know Asafa Powell cheated, shouldn t it make Jamaica's record (100*4 men) invalid ? even if the three other athletes were clean ?
Not only is she a sweetheart but she's a key part of their relay teams too! I fully contend that had she been in both events, the Americans would have won. For starters, she would have run a stronger second leg than Natasha Hastings did and not given back any of the lead and I think with her sudden injury that the chemistry with the girls in the 4x100m wasn't there which led to that early run-off from English Gardner which put them out of contention for the gold. Octavious ran a blistering anchor leg though!

I'm not sure it makes that world record invalid because we don't know for how long he was, supposedly, doping.

phoenix83 wrote:I feel sorry for Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce. She just became the first woman ever to win the sprint triple (100m, 200m, 4 x 100m) at the World Championships, yet is overshadowed by Bolt all the time. So, I just wanted to say congrats to the Pocket Rocket! :P

(And also to Christine Ohuruogu - how on earth she manages to win races from such impossible positions, I will never know, but that's yet another major 400m crown for her - an inspirational performance from the GB captain)
That's always the case, sadly. Last year at the Olympics, Felix became the first women in track history to win three gold medals at a single Games yet the spotlight was firmly positioned on Bolt, as it's been pretty much since 2008. It irritates me sometimes but I'm grateful that he manages to bring back a lot of the attention the sport lost due to all the doping busts over the years. His charismatic personality only adds to his appeal.

Agreed. That lady never ceases to amaze me. :lol:
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby android » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:30 am

Both Bolt and Felix are awesome athletes. :P
android
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:25 am

Light. Strong. Nike Flyknit

Allyson Felix appears from :28 to :42.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:42 pm

I just finished watching the broadcast of the IAAF World Indoor Championships and I was impressed with the performances, particularly the women's 60m where Jamaica's #1 pocket rocket blasted off to victory. Most of the pre-race bets were on Murielle Ahoure, but I predicted Shelly-Ann would be the first at the line simply because she always delivers when and where it counts. Excellent run from her, and the seventh fastest of all-time too! :o

The American men and women ran excellent mile relays. The drama in the women's 4x400 was hilarious, though. :lol: I thought the race would never get underway! I expected a more dominant victory for the American men, but I guess the other teams were faster than I anticipated. The US walked away with an indoor record so I guess I can't take anything from them because the gap wasn't as impressive as I thought it would've been.

Great championships! :D
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:14 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Great championships! :D
From what I've seen it's been fantastic :)

Great win for Richard Kilty in the mens 60m 8-)
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:22 am

Allyson Felix Exclusive Interview

I don't know how recent that is, but the Olympics channel on YouTube just uploaded that on Monday. Felix said that she wants to compete in multiple individual events in Rio, so that means at the next World Championships she'll probably re-attempt the 200/400 double. I think she could do it, as unusual a double as it would be. She has the physique and speed for it.

Oh, and I just got my tickets to attend the IAAF World Relays which will be held here in May! I am so excited! I'm looking forward to seeing, and perhaps, meeting Allyson. I think I might pass out from happiness if I get to meet her though. :lol:
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:10 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Oh, and I just got my tickets to attend the IAAF World Relays which will be held here in May! I am so excited! I'm looking forward to seeing, and perhaps, meeting Allyson. I think I might pass out from happiness if I get to meet her though. :lol:
That's great news :D Enjoy and hopefully you get to meet her :D
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:20 am

oasisbobo wrote:
JSparksFan wrote:Oh, and I just got my tickets to attend the IAAF World Relays which will be held here in May! I am so excited! I'm looking forward to seeing, and perhaps, meeting Allyson. I think I might pass out from happiness if I get to meet her though. :lol:
That's great news :D Enjoy and hopefully you get to meet her :D
Thanks! I'll have to rehearse to make sure I don't act like a crazed fan (which I am) if I meet her. :lol:

Anyway, here's another recent interview of Allyson. A lot of the questions were pretty irrelevant to me - they talked about her least favourite exercises, what women can do to get fit but not bulk up too much, Allyson's involvement in Project Believe - but she did say that she's feeling good now so I'm glad to hear that. She mentioned the Diamond League so hopefully that means she'll be competing in most of those meets this year.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:52 am

The CARIFTA Games are over - Jamaica dominated as per usual, collecting a record medal haul with 88 shiny metals to their already overstocked collection - and I was proper impressed by some of the performances! The future of West Indian track and field is certainly bright and I look forward to see some of these same fine young men and women ruling at their respective events on more global stages.

The most outstanding race, in my opinion, was the U20 girls 4x400m final. The second leg for Jamaica hobbled for 150m to hand off to her teammate. I honestly thought she wasn't going to make it! Arguably, that might've been an unwise move because whatever injury she had, trying to run on it for so long must have aggravated the condition, but that sheer determination to win is pretty admirable. I hope she is well though. And even after such a drama-laden second leg, the girls were just 11-hundredths of a second outside of the CARIFTA record! :o

The U20 girls 200m was exciting too. The Guyanese girl totally had the race before that premature dive for the line, where she subsequently fell and finished second.

The U20 boys 4x400m was dampened a bit by Jamaica's #1 junior quarter-miler, Javon Francis, being out of commission. He would have taken Trinidad's Cedenio for sure on that anchor leg, but with 42 gold medals already won, I guess Jamaica really didn't need another one.

Great meet though! I enjoyed it immensely! :D
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:21 pm

Fraser-Pryce, Felix 200m Clash to Highlight JII Meet

Jamaica Observer wrote:THE 11th staging of the Jamaica International Invitational (JII) track and field meet will be glittering with a plethora of Olympic and World Championships stars, which will be highlighted by the clash between Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce and Allison Felix over 200 metres.

That eagerly anticipated clash did not materialise at the 2013 World Championships after Felix, three times World Championships 200m champion, pulled up injured when Fraser-Pryce was in full flight and well on her way to victory.

Now fans will get a chance to witness it live at the National Stadium on Saturday, May 3.

Don Quarrie, the meet director and athlete liaison, said he expects a lot of world-leading times and both Fraser-Pryce and Felix had no problem being pitted against each other this early in the season.

"When I first explained to them that you guys may have to run together, they sad they don't mind," said Quarrie.

"Allyson was here last year and was not very happy with her performance in the 100m and we will see a very outstanding race between the two," Quarrie noted.

That race will also have Americans Kimberlyn Duncan and Tiffany Townsend, along with Jamaican Samantha Henry-Robinson.

The JII that was established in 2004, has a budget of US$1.35m and based on the quality that will be on display this year, Quarrie believes it could be the best ever.

"I think this year we are fortunate to have one of the best line-ups in many of the events. We have a lot of medal winners from both the Olympics and the World Championships outdoors and indoors. We have a lot of top 10 ranked athletes competing and I am sure that the performances will produce some world best times," he told the Jamaica Observer.

"We are looking forward to such competitiveness that we want our youngsters to look at it in a fashion of one day, I want to compete at the Jamaica Invitational. That's what it's all about. We are not just putting on a show just because it covers excitement for spectators. It covers tourism, it covers motivation and overall, it covers development in Jamaica."

Apart from Fraser-Pryce and Felix, there will be Olympic champions Sanya Richards-Ross of the USA, Christine Ohuruogu of Great Britain, Francene McCorory, McLeshawn Merrit, Lequelin Santos of Dominican Republic, Justin Gatlin, Walter Dix, Antonio McKay, Blessing Okagbare from Nigeria, Americans Alexandria Anderson, English Gardner, Brianna Rollins and Curtis Mitchell to take on the might of Jamaica.

The women's pole vault event has been added to the meet that is expected to start at 5:40 pm and last four hours in a tight, efficient and exciting schedule.

But in terms of quality, Quarrie, the 1976 Olympic 200m champion, believes the women's 400m is the race that has everything.

"This race has the Olympic champion in 2012; the world champion in 2013; the World Indoor champion in 2014; two finalists from the Olympics and two finalists from the World Championships.

"In other words, it will be very difficult to decide where you going to put some of these people as far as the lanes are concerned," he added.

That race will have Olympic champions Sanya Richards-Ross of the US and Ohuruogu. McCorory, the newly crowned World Indoor champion over 400m, will make her debut in Kingston. McCorory is an Olympic gold medallist in the 4x400m and the American indoor record holder in the 400m.

Jamaica will be represented by the emerging Stephanie McPherson, veteran Novlene Williams-Mills, Rosemarie Whyte, and Kaliese Spencer.

"This field is going to be a stellar field. I just can't wait to see the race," said Quarrie.

The women's 100m will be contested by Jamaica's Olympic silver medallist Kerron Stewart and she will take on the powerful Blessing Okagbare from Nigeria, Americans Alexandria Anderson and English Gardner, along with Schillonie Calvert and Sherri-Ann Brooks.

American Justin Gatlin has promised only victory in Jamaica and he will start favourite to beat an improved-looking Nesta Carter, Nickel Ashmeade, Warren Weir, American Walter Dix, who is just returning from injury, Daniel Bailey and German Martin Keller.

Curtis Mitchell, the 200m bronze medallist from the Moscow World Championships, will make his JII debut in the 200m. He has a personal best of 19.97 seconds and will line up against fellow American Isaiah Young, Jamaicans Rasheed Dyer, Jason Young and Julian Forte.
I can't wait to see these two stellar ladies duel once more! This is Felix's first post-injury race so I'm eager to see how fit she is! :D That women's 400m line-up is stacked though. :o
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby phoenix83 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:41 pm

SAFP vs. Alyson and Christine vs. Sanya are always good.

(Sounds like I'm disrespecting all the other runners in the 200m and 400m races, I'm not, I know there are more than two people running in each race!)

I expect SAFP to win the 200m btw.
http://nobilliards.blogspot.co.uk/ <---- Brilliant blog about all the UK No 1 albums.
phoenix83
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:45 pm

phoenix83 wrote:SAFP vs. Alyson and Christine vs. Sanya are always good.

(Sounds like I'm disrespecting all the other runners in the 200m and 400m races, I'm not, I know there are more than two people running in each race!)

I expect SAFP to win the 200m btw.
Well, with those two pairs, sometimes it looks like they're the only ones in the race! :lol:

I'm nervous for Allyson because this is her first post-injury race whereas Shelly-Ann seems to be in prime form coming off of that personal best and win at the 60m at the indoor championships. Plus, I know that with the event being contested in Jamaica, that'll give Fraser-Pryce additional incentive to beat Felix.

It'd be going against my nature to bet against Allyson though so my money's on Felix to win!
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu May 01, 2014 11:48 pm

How to Run the 400m Dash

Very valuable advice.

What he said about the last 100 is so true though. And that bit where he was like, "Pray. Pray to whatever God you believe in; you don't believe in God, make something up" made me laugh out loud. :lol: The 400 is a MAN though and I have so much respect for athletes who excel at it.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri May 02, 2014 12:13 am

Felix is out of the meet due to injury! :cry:

Jamaica International Invitational Meet wrote:Due to injury.....Allyson Felix is unable to compete at JIIM. We wish her a very speedy recovery and we look forward to her appearance at JIIM in the future.
Ohuruogu and Ashmeade are out too. :(

Jamaica International Invitational Meet wrote:Due to injury @chrissyohuruogu and Nickel Ashmeade are unable to compete at the 2014 Jamaica International Invitational Meet, May 3rd. We wish them a speedy recovery.
Ugh, I HATE injuries so blasted much! :( I'm also really worried that Allyson's not 100%. I didn't realize the hamstring injury was going to derail her for so long. :(
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby phoenix83 » Fri May 02, 2014 8:42 am

Well that ruins what would have been two of the best races at that meet.

SAFP and SRR will surely cruise to victories now.
phoenix83
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Fri May 02, 2014 3:38 pm

8pm CST Allyson Felix will be taking over @caymaninv twitter for fans Q&A ‪#‎CaymanInvitational‬
Currently making my list of questions. :D
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby phoenix83 » Fri May 09, 2014 7:58 pm

SAFP won the first 100m of the Diamond League.

By the way, she is ranked No 1 (and always seems to be whenever I've checked over the last two years) among all current female athletes according to this site:

http://www.all-athletics.com/current-ra ... =F&evtg=47
phoenix83
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Sun May 11, 2014 1:06 am

phoenix83 wrote:SAFP won the first 100m of the Diamond League.

By the way, she is ranked No 1 (and always seems to be whenever I've checked over the last two years) among all current female athletes according to this site:

http://www.all-athletics.com/current-ra ... =F&evtg=47
She also won her first 200m race of the season at the Jamaican International Invitational last Saturday. I actually felt she ran a pretty lazy race even easing up in the closing stage, something she couldn't have done if Felix was in the line-up... :P

If I remember correctly, Allyson was ranked #1 in 2012, but since 2013 Shelly-Ann has been the premier female track athlete so no surprise that she's #1 currently and I think she has been #1 since mid-2013.

Shelly-Ann said her goal this season is to improve her 200m personal best. She's looking to dip under 22 seconds this year. Her 100m speed makes her really dangerous in the 200m, and her running the 200m only makes her a better 100m sprinter as it ensures that she has the stamina to keep the momentum going after her usual explosive start.

On the other hand, Allyson's looking to run more 400m races this year. I think Shelly-Ann is going for the 100/200 double next year and at the Olympics in Rio, whereas Allyson will contest the 200/400 double at the next two major global championships. Provided they're both at their best and finish healthy, expect some PHENOMENAL 200m finals in the next two years.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby phoenix83 » Sun May 11, 2014 11:08 am

^ Interesting about Allyson stepping up more in the 400m.

An Olympic 400m final with Ohurougu, Richards-Ross, Felix, Montsho and maybe some younger stars who emerge over the next few years would be amazing!
phoenix83
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Sun May 11, 2014 10:10 pm

Better yet if Allyson manages to trump all those fine ladies in the final! If it's possible to die from euphoria, that'd be the last of me. :lol:

It's such a shame that Sanya's Behects disease holds her back. At her best, she's better than all the others at the 400m.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun May 18, 2014 2:47 pm

Allyson Felix is back on the track! :cry: She placed fifth in her season debut in Shanghai about an hour ago, and while 50.81 seconds is far off from her best, I can tell that she ran a very conservative race and I know that she'll only go faster as the season progresses. Honestly, I was just so happy to see her on the track that I wasn't fazed at all by the position especially considering how tough the competition was.

Shame that Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce was a late scratch in the women's 200m. I wanted to see a match-up between her and Blessing Okagbare. Blessing ran a good race though and Anthonique Strachan seems to be having a good season thus far. I wonder if Anthonique will be able to lower her 200m personal best this year.

Justin Gatlin really separated himself from the field in those last 30m! He's in fine form this year and it'll be exciting to see how Usain responds next month.
JSparksFan
Legend

Return to Sport