Thriller wrote:The show returns for a New Year’s special, broadcasting all the biggest hits of the year culminating with the last Number 1 of the year, artists will include:
. . . . . according to that list, several acts that haven't had a top 40 hit at all during 2018 ?!
The Christmas 1986 edition will be on BBC FOUR next Thursday - but there are two other non-Mike Smith shows before that this week. Tonight's is episode 1189:27/11/86 (Presented by Gary Davies)
(19) Frankie Goes To Hollywood – “Warriors (Of The Wasteland)”
(09) Debbie Harry – “French Kissing In The USA” (video)
(15) Five Star – “If I Say Yes”
( Charts 40 - 11 )
(17) Roger Whittaker and Des O’Connor – “The Skye Boat Song”
- (22) Iron Maiden – “Stranger In A Strange Land” (video clip)
- (21) Genesis – “Land Of Confusion” (video clip)
(08) Nick Kamen – “Each Time You Break My Heart”
( Charts 10 - 01 )
(01) Berlin – “Take My Breath Away” (video)
(13) Anita Baker – “Sweet Love” (audience dancing/credits)
I had a vague recollection that this Genesis hit was the one with the video in which the band were replaced by puppets from "Spitting Image" - which, of course, had given us the number one a few months earlier with "The Chicken Song".
The oldest performers this week were clearly Roger Whittaker and Des O'Connor - I was struggling to recall whether both of them are still alive in 2018. The answer is yes - they're now eighty-two and eighty-six respectively. So they were fifty and fifty-four at the time of this hit, although perhaps at least one of them looked older . . . . .