Top Of The Pops

Moderators: Spartan, menime123

Postby CZB » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:56 pm

Two episodes from November 1986 tonight - 1186 and 1188 :

06/11/86 (Presented by Peter Powell and Steve Wright)
(15) Bon Jovi – “Livin’ On A Prayer”
(16) Peter Gabriel & Kate Bush – “Don’t Give Up” (video)
(22) Red Box – “For America”
( Charts 40 - 11 - Peter Powell )
(17) Swing Out Sister – “Breakout” Breakers:
- (25) Bob Geldof – “This Is The World Calling” (video clip)
- (24) Shakin’ Stevens – “Because I Love You” (video clip)
- (20) Spandau Ballet – “Through The Barricades” (video clip)
(07) Duran Duran – “Notorious”
( Charts 10 - 01 - Peter Powell )
(01) Berlin – “Take My Breath Away” (video)
(10) The Pretenders – “Don’t Get Me Wrong” (video/credits)

20/11/86 (Presented by Janice Long and John Peel, brief appearances of Gary Davies and Smiley Miley)
(05) Europe – “The Final Countdown”
(13) Simple Minds – “Ghostdancing” (video)
(14) Swing Out Sister – “Breakout”
( Charts 40 -11 - Janice Long / John Peel )
(16) Erasure – “Sometimes”
Breakers
- (19) Anita Baker – “Sweet Love” (video clip)
- (12) Nick Kamen – “Each Time You Break My Heart” (video clip)
- (11) Debbie Harry – “French Kissing In The USA” (video clip)
(07) Bon Jovi – “Livin’ On A Prayer”
( Charts 10 - 01 - Janice Long / John Peel )
(10) Red Box – “For America” (video/credits)

Inevitably there are a few duplications, as yet another Mike Smith-presented edition originally came in between them !

I bought the Swingout Sister and Pretenders singles when they reached the bargain bins - and had had the 12" Europe single (with a much extended instrumental intro) as well as the 7" for several weeks before this "Top Of The Pops" appearance helped "The Final Countdown" on its way to number one in the UK. It had already topped the charts for in their Swedish homeland in May 1986, and gradually went on to get to number one in various other countries too. I had become aware of it from Dutch chart shows in the summer - it reached pole position in the Netherlands in September. A superb record, still often played by many radio stations three decades later.
CZB
Legend

Postby Thriller » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:39 pm

Based on the crowd reactions I’m surprised Bon Jovi didn’t get a #1 with LOAP.

What a cute video for Don’t Give Up - like a less creepy version of the Cliff Richard & Sarah Brightman one :lol:

LOVE Breakout, such a cool slice of sophistipop.

John and Janis threw some shade at Nick Karen :lol:
Thriller

Postby Thriller » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:39 pm

Top of the Pops - the biggest pop party on TV - announced the line-up for the two Christmas Day and New Year’s specials hitting BBC One screens this festive period, hosted by Fearne Cotton and BBC Radio 1’s Clara Amfo.

The one hour specials will celebrate the biggest hits and hottest names in British pop and from around the world, performing exclusively. The Christmas Day special will celebrate all things pop, reviewing 2018’s year in music. Audiences can watch performances from:

Anne-Marie
Clean Bandit
Freya Ridings
George Ezra
Jax Jones & Ina Wroldson
Jess Glynne
Jonas Blue with Liam Payne & Lennon Stella
Rita Ora
Rudimental with Jess Glynne & Dan Caplen
Sigrid
Tom Walker
Zara Larsson

The show returns for a New Year’s special, broadcasting all the biggest hits of the year culminating with the last Number 1 of the year, artists will include:

Anne-Marie
B Young
Christine and the Queens
Clean Bandit
George Ezra
Jess Glynne
Jonas Blue and Jack & Jack
Lewis Capaldi
Mabel
Tom Grennan
Tom Odell & Rae Morris
Years & Years

Fearne Cotton says: “Top of the Pops has become a special annual tradition for many and I can’t wait to be back with Clara watching some of the biggest names in pop perform their big hits of the year!”

Clara Amfo says: “Getting to present the television that we’ve all watched as kids will never not be a joy for me and I’m so very happy to be back with Fearne for TOTP this festive season, see you from your sofa!”

George Ezra says: “It's an honour and a pleasure to be playing this year's festive Top of the Pops. I watched it as I was growing up and so excited to be getting involved myself, expect all the bells and whistles. Big smiles over here. See you there!"

Rita Ora says: “Top of the Pops has always, and will always be such an iconic show! It's one of my favourites to perform on and I'm so excited to be part of your Christmas Day!”

Top of the Pops Christmas will be on BBC One on Tuesday 25 December at 12.30pm, Top of the Pops New Year will be on BBC One on Saturday 29 December at 5.10pm.
Absolutely woeful line up on Christmas Day... usual safe BBC suspects, very local line-up. Then repeat artists on NYE as per!
Thriller

Postby CZB » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:57 pm

Thriller wrote:The show returns for a New Year’s special, broadcasting all the biggest hits of the year culminating with the last Number 1 of the year, artists will include:
. . . . . according to that list, several acts that haven't had a top 40 hit at all during 2018 ?!

The Christmas 1986 edition will be on BBC FOUR next Thursday - but there are two other non-Mike Smith shows before that this week. Tonight's is episode 1189:

27/11/86 (Presented by Gary Davies)
(19) Frankie Goes To Hollywood – “Warriors (Of The Wasteland)”
(09) Debbie Harry – “French Kissing In The USA” (video)
(15) Five Star – “If I Say Yes”
( Charts 40 - 11 )
(17) Roger Whittaker and Des O’Connor – “The Skye Boat Song”
Breakers:
- (22) Iron Maiden – “Stranger In A Strange Land” (video clip)
- (21) Genesis – “Land Of Confusion” (video clip)
(08) Nick Kamen – “Each Time You Break My Heart”
( Charts 10 - 01 )
(13) Anita Baker – “Sweet Love” (audience dancing/credits)

I had a vague recollection that this Genesis hit was the one with the video in which the band were replaced by puppets from "Spitting Image" - which, of course, had given us the number one a few months earlier with "The Chicken Song".

The oldest performers this week were clearly Roger Whittaker and Des O'Connor - I was struggling to recall whether both of them are still alive in 2018. The answer is yes - they're now eighty-two and eighty-six respectively. So they were fifty and fifty-four at the time of this hit, although perhaps at least one of them looked older . . . . .
CZB
Legend

Postby CZB » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:55 pm

And tonight, episode 1191:

11/12/86 (Presented by Janice Long and Steve Wright)
(21) Jaki Graham – “Step Right Up”
(03) The Housemartins – “Caravan Of Love”
( Charts 40 - 11 - Janice Long )
(24) Alison Moyet – “Is This Love?”
Breakers:
- (27) Cameo – “Candy” (video clip)
- (25) Dexys Midnight Runners – “Because Of You” (video clip)
- (16) A-ha – “Cry Wolf” (video clip)
- (14) Jackie Wilson – “Reet Petite” (video clip)
(19) George Benson – “Shiver”
( Charts 10 - 01 - Janice Long )
(01) Europe – “The Final Countdown”
(08) Madonna – “Open Your Heart” (video/credits)

This Dexy's Midnight Runners single was the only one of theirs that I ever bought - it was the theme to the sitcom "Brush Strokes", and was featured frequently earlier in 2018 in the series "Cunk On Britain". This was one of very few television series made in 2018 that I watched this year !

CZB
Legend

Postby CZB » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:56 pm

Tonight on BBC FOUR, episode 1193 - the last of 1986, back when they did feature all the biggest hits of the year just ending !

25/12/86 (Presented by Simon Bates, Gary Davies, Janice Long and Peter Powell)
Billy Ocean – “When The Going Gets Tough The Tough Get Going”
- The Communards – “Don’t Leave Me This Way” (video clip)
- A-ha – “The Sun Always Shines On TV” (video clip)
- Europe – “The Final Countdown” (video clip)
Doctor & The Medics – “Spirit In The Sky”
- Cliff Richard & The Young Ones – “Living Doll” (video clip)
- Spitting Image – “The Chicken Song” (video clip)
Boris Gardiner – “I Want To Wake Up With You”
- Diana Ross – “Chain Reaction” (video clip)
- Berlin – “Take My Breath Away” (video clip)
Simply Red – “Holding Back The Years”
- Nick Berry – “Every Loser Wins” (video clip)
- Falco – “Rock Me Amadeus” (video clip)
- George Michael – “A Different Corner” (video clip)
Pet Shop Boys – “West End Girls”
- Madonna – “True Blue” (video clip)
- Madonna – “Papa Don’t Preach” (video clip)
Chris De Burgh – “The Lady In Red”
- The Housemartins – “Caravan Of Love” (video clip)
Jackie Wilson – “Reet Petite” (video)
- Wham! – “Edge Of Heaven” (video clip/credits)

Almost nothing there that didn't get to number one in 1986 ! Presumably the number two from Simply Red was included because they were available to come to the studio and do a live performance, unlike any of the UK-based number one hitmakers who were asked and declined.

The late night repeat of this one is tomorrow night instead of tonight - when there's another chance to see the Christmas 1978 programme. Then the 1987 editions begin in a fortnight's time - after the usual "Story Of 1987" documentary.
CZB
Legend

Postby Graham76man » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:17 pm

Watched the Story of 1987 and the only thing I didn't know was that China in Your Hand was about Mary Shelley creation of Frankenstein. :o
I thought at first it was about the country then about a a brawling couple throwing plates at each other :lol:
The years have been good to Belinda Carlisle, but not so good to Carol Decker. Still not bad for her age and being a rock star! Or should that be - that cosmetic surgeons have been good for Belinda?
Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!
Graham76man
Manager

Postby CZB » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:56 pm

So 1987 gets underway tonight :

01/01/87 (Presented by Gary Davies)
(15) Status Quo – “Dreamin’”
(05) A-ha – “Cry Wolf” (video)
(08) Alison Moyet – “Is This Love?”
( Charts 40 - 11)
(18) Elkie Brooks – “No More The Fool” (video)
(31) Gary Moore – “Over The Hills & Far Away”
(22) Spitting Image – “Santa Claus Is On The Dole” (video)
( Charts 10 - 01)
(01) Jackie Wilson – “Reet Petite” (video)
(04) Madonna – “Open Your Heart" (video/credits)

No breakers this time - but they will return for the vast majority of this year's shows !

Nothing at all that I bought here - the second Spitting Image hit was much less memorable than the first, and it's not as if it was going to climb above its current position in the new year . . . . . while I must admit that the opening number from Status Quo was the one from this bunch that I really didn't have any recollection of at all. It was also at its peak, but in the fourth of six weeks it spent in the top forty. According to Gary Davies it was "about" their "44th" hit?! Well, the list on the Official Charts website suggests that it was more like their 34th - and even then "Caroline" would have to be counted twice, or at least one single that fell short of the top forty would need to be included.
CZB
Legend

Postby Thriller » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:01 pm

Graham76man wrote:Watched the Story of 1987 and the only thing I didn't know was that China in Your Hand was about Mary Shelley creation of Frankenstein. :o
I thought at first it was about the country then about a a brawling couple throwing plates at each other :lol:
The years have been good to Belinda Carlisle, but not so good to Carol Decker. Still not bad for her age and being a rock star! Or should that be - that cosmetic surgeons have been good for Belinda?
Carol does look terrible, I was astonished when I saw her on Celebrity Masterchef a few months back.

Loved the Story of 1987 show, it really was an amazing year for music. Everything seemed so hopeful and positive. The stories about Rick Astley and Mel & Kim were interesting, always so sad when I hear about Mel - didn’t twig before how much Alesha Dixon looks like her.
Thriller

Postby CZB » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:55 pm

Tonight, the second of three January 1987 editions presented by Gary Davies:

08/01/87 (Presented by Gary Davies)
(38) Swing Out Sister – “Surrender”
(24) Lionel Richie – “Ballerina Girl” (video)
(09) The Gap Band – “Big Fun”
( Charts 40 - 11 )
(19) The Pretenders – “Hymn To Her” (video)
Breakers
- (36) Iggy Pop – “Real Wild Child (Wild One)” (video clip)
- (32) Robbie Nevil – “C’est La Vie” (video clip)
(31) Paul Simon – “The Boy In The Bubble” (video)
( Charts 10 - 01 )
(01) Jackie Wilson – “Reet Petite” (video)
(14) Genesis – “Land Of Confusion” (14) (video/credits)

Another one in which there was considerably more video content than studio performances, which perhaps will become more common this year - and another in which there weren't any singles that I bought . . . . .
CZB
Legend

Return to TV