The Tunnel

Moderators: Spartan, menime123

Postby Thriller » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:18 am

Based on the Scandinavian drama, The Bridge this series is about French and one British detectives who work together after an upper-half body of a French politician, and the lower-half of a British prostitute is discovered in the Channel Tunnel, at the midpoint between France and the UK. They later learn that the serial killer is on a moral crusade to highlight many social problems, terrorising both countries in the process.

Tony? This is right up your street. It's been a fantastic, gripping series! The final scene of the last episode was brilliant and shocking. I love both lead characters, especially Elise who's blunt and direct personality combined with her natural looks makes her really attractive.

Three more episodes left and it's been getting about half a million viewers on Sky Atlantic.
Thriller

Postby Blondini » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:19 pm

It's not a patch on the original OR the US version. It completely loses out on the precise dark humour and vitality of those versions - this version is way too dark and po-faced in comparison, like it's copying Broadchurch and the like. It's well acted. But i adore the original's heroine and the duo's relationship. This duo are nowhere near as compelling.

That's why i never made a post on it. Just like with The Killing, you're missing out on the best version - or in this case versions. Your excuse being you can't watch subtitled drama - this is full of subtitles! I highly recommend the US / Mexico one with Diane Kruger - she gets the female part down better than Clemence Poesy. It also has subtitles, by the way.

The Bridge (Denmark / Sweden) 5/5
The Bridge (US / Mexico) 5/5
The Tunnel 3/5
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Thriller » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:51 pm

I didn't know there was a US version of The Bridge! I might check it out when this finishes. I can deal with some subtitles but don't like the entire thing being in subtitles, it gives me a headache. I like the darkness of this, sometimes you just want it to be 100% grim.
Thriller

Postby Thriller » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:26 pm

Amazing episode again last night, really thought Laura was a goner once she'd stepped on the detonator! I definitely think Adam will end up dead though.
Thriller

Postby Blondini » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:23 pm

The bomb thing was daft - it went into sci-fi gubbins about how it worked, they made it up on the hoof just to be different to the other versions. In those versions, it's a hand grenade with the pin removed left in the wife's hand. And it's a shack in the middle of nowhere so the husband has to get her to throw it and they BOTH run for cover - makes much more sense.. Not only does the tunnel not work as well as a location as a border bridge but the bomb location was stupid, too. I'm not buying his emotional turmoil as much either - Dillane is just too cold an actor in comparison - good at the banter but not the heavier stuff. He's the worst thing in Game Of Thrones.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Thriller » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:57 pm

Did anybody continue to watch season 2 and 3 of this?

I've just finished the third, final season and...

Spoiler:
feel so sad that Elise was killed off in such a terrible way. I guess it was inevitable either her or Karl would die at the end.
Thriller

Return to TV