Twin Peaks: The Return

Postby Yoshie » Mon May 22, 2017 7:26 pm

Has anybody watched the first episodes? I don't even know what to say or where to start. :lol: :lol:
Yoshie
Legend

Postby Blondini » Mon May 22, 2017 7:32 pm

Bazmedia wrote:Guys, massive Twin Peaks fan - is this the most recent thread for season 3 ?
The TV forum isn't as active as it once was, sadly. Maybe because of the way we watch has changed a lot.

I think it still qualifies as being an eligible thread under new rules. A lot of the old cast are here but there's a swarm of new cast members and it's meant to be a multi-part "movie" in its own right (Lynch and Frost's vision).

I watched the two-part opening episode(s). First half/part was weird and obtuse even by their standards, second had me in goosebumps (the Laura Palmer scene) - nice Chromatics song bit.
So i rate it 9 and 10 (compared to a 10 for season 1 and a 9 for season 2). Really great to see Madeline Zima, Jennifer Jason Leigh.
The sex and violence content is unrestricted now it's on subscription cable. The doppelganger Cooper was quite unnerving. :lol: at the arm tree thing! Even though it's 2017 Lynch and Frost don't really care about hi-advanced CGI, some of the effects / props are charmingly rubbish but add to the trademark surrealism.

Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Blondini » Mon May 22, 2017 8:11 pm

It's officially called Twin Peaks: The Return, BTW. If you want a clear thread title. :wink:
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby AussiePopStar8 » Tue May 23, 2017 2:52 am

I can't deny I'm disappointed with at least half of the 2 part beginning.
"Fire Walk With Me" has been cited as some the inspiration for the new series and it's definitely there I just don't really care for any of the new characters introduced thus far but the Black Lodge stuff was pretty great.
They reeeeeeeally waited out bringing out the old characters and used them sparingly but I'm hoping that we get back into that world in the rest of the currently available episodes.
Happy endings are just stories that haven't finished yet...
AussiePopStar8
Manager

Postby grooveboy » Tue May 23, 2017 5:48 pm

I really cant describe the feeling when the main title sequence kicked in when I watched the first episode of the new season. The brilliance of the theme is still there after all these years! :cry: :cry:
As for the first episode...I was blown away! Not that I expected anything less 8-)

grooveboy
Superstar

Postby Hugo » Thu May 25, 2017 2:53 pm

Started watching it today after reading 'Pines' (Wayward Pines #1), the author really loved this when he was a kid.

The 'Pilot' was very interesting, albeit slow. But it's amazing how many characters were introduced and in a little over an hour you can already tell they're unforgettable.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby grooveboy » Thu May 25, 2017 5:03 pm

Enjoy the ride Hugo! 8-)
I watched all 4 episodes of the new season released so far and I love it! Can't wait to see more 8-)
grooveboy
Superstar

Postby Westen » Thu May 25, 2017 5:29 pm

I was always intrigued by this show, i'm thinking about starting it soon...
Westen
Superstar

Postby Hugo » Sat May 27, 2017 10:32 pm

Watched the 2nd episode I'm officially in for the long haul.

These girls are all gorgeous, even the detestable Audrey.

Poor Shelly :(
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Blondini » Mon May 29, 2017 1:36 pm

^Are you commenting on the original 1990-91 series? If so, you're in the wrong thread.

So i watched eps 3 and 4 of The Return. Ep 3 was nuts. You do wish he'd hurry up a bit with the action but as Gogglebox said "even the crappy bits" are brilliant. 9/10

By contrast, ep 4 flies by and is hilarious. Lucy and the mobile phone! :lol: :lol: 9/10 (Michael Cera scene is quite bad, though).
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Blondini » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:49 pm

Lots of new cast members this week: Amanda Seyfried, Jane Levy, Jim Belushi, Tom Sizemore among them.

This was the main reason interest was kept as they weren't exactly in a hurry to speed the story along - oddly, seeing as it's settling into one episode a week until the finale(s). This was the most soapy 1990 style ep yet. I'm not sure how much more of "Dougie" walking about in a catatonic state i can handle, though. Really dragging now and losing the novelty... I thought the coffee would bring him back more.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Blondini » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:35 am

Meet the new Laura Palmer - so the fan / critic rumour buzz goes.

Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby grooveboy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:34 pm

Not a big fan of the last episode TBH. It wasn't bad "per se", but quite weaker compared to the first four episodes. Dougie is starting to get on my nerves too :lol:
grooveboy
Superstar

Postby AussiePopStar8 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:21 am

Episode 4 has been a highlight thus far just for the sheer amount of original series content in it.
I actually let out a little squeal when we saw Denise!
Even in episode 5 seeing Nadine, Jacoby etc made it worth all the struggle.
Ever since her casting I've had a feeling that Amanda's character would be akin to this generations Laura Palmer and it appears all the Lynchian weirdness will bring us back to Twin Peaks, Major Briggs, and the mysterious "blue rose" cases of "Fire Walk With Me".
Keen eyes have spotted the smoking scene contained a pack of Morley cigarettes which feature in another 90's cult show "The X-Files".
Coincidence or a nod to the major mystery of this revival season.
Last edited by AussiePopStar8 on Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AussiePopStar8
Manager

Postby Blondini » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:14 pm

Episode 8: phenomenal art piece that could be watched as a standalone or is filled with all the answers if you care to seek them out. When Nine Inch Nails is the most normal thing in it... :o :lol:
http://www.indiewire.com/2017/06/twin-p ... 201847015/
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Yoshie » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:33 pm

The cinematography and photography in the most recent episode was indeed absolutely outstanding. From a technical aspect, certainly the most accomplished, textured episode yet.

As a whole, I think Twin Peaks: The Return is going to be a piece of work that needs to be viewed more than once to understand, and where the seemingly unrelated plot lines can't be intertwined until the entire work has played out, which is very standard with David Lynch productions. I'm loving the atmosphere and visuals of the series and also the fact that it is completely unrecognisable from the original series.
Yoshie
Legend

Postby Blondini » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:13 pm

Now trending in UK through word of mouth alone (Sky / Now TV catch up / nefarious streaming / recording the 2am premiere) - the Sky Atlantic 9pm broadcast isn't until tomorrow. :D
First time it's trended outside of the 2am slot (week one).
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Blondini » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:10 am

Tim Roth :D
Sky Ferreira :P
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Bojan » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:58 am

I saw 5 episodes so far. It's time for the 6th. :P

I love this show. Currently my favourite along with American Gods and Stranger Things.

I was a big fan of The Walking Dead, too, but they lost me with the last season.
Bojan
Manager

Postby AussiePopStar8 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:48 am

It's definitely not something the casual viewer can just walk into and it's very Lynch indulgent but at the midway point we're finally starting to get the seemingly random strands intertwining and it feels like we're getting closer to the "Twin Peaks" people remember. It's not an easy watch but I can see it shedding light on not only this return series but also the original cannon.
More of our original series characters though please.
AussiePopStar8
Manager

Postby Blondini » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:57 pm

It's torture waiting for Sherilyn Fenn. They're teasing us with other Hornes.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Bojan » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:28 pm

I want to see her in the show - looking like this!

Episode 8 was amazing.
Bojan
Manager

Postby Blondini » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:05 pm

Balls to Ed Sheeran. Moby turned up in this - though i didn't notice till his name popped up in the credits! Bit unfair on Rebekah's other band members who got no credit.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby grooveboy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:08 pm

Blondini wrote:It's torture waiting for Sherilyn Fenn. They're teasing us with other Hornes.
True :lol:
I miss Audrey :(
grooveboy
Superstar

Postby grooveboy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:38 pm

Yet no sign of Audrey, but what a great episode!! Possibly my favorite this season. A great mixture of classic series and the new direction. The restaurant scene was amazing! 8-)
grooveboy
Superstar

Return to TV