UK Christmas Adverts

Postby Wayne » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:16 am

Last edited by Wayne on Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby JimJim » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:24 am

Cuuuuttteee
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby biscuits » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:31 am

This gets its own thread? I'm one of those people who don't care about John Lewis Christmas adverts. I'm sure my Facebook will be full of it

So cute xxxx

Christmas is officially here xx

OMG. Made me cry #emotional

Love it. 48 more sleeps lol xxxx
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Hugo » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:36 am

Is John Lewis one of theArmy's flop faves?
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Wayne » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:40 am

biscuits wrote:This gets its own thread? I'm one of those people who don't care about John Lewis Christmas adverts. I'm sure my Facebook will be full of it

So cute xxxx

Christmas is officially here xx

OMG. Made me cry #emotional

Love it. 48 more sleeps lol xxxx
Yes, it gets its own topic!

Last year's ad has 22m views, this year's will probably top it.

I think it's lovely, but the Sainsbury's advert will be better.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Graham76man » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:09 pm

Oasis track of course. Seems to be sung by Aurora who are new at 32 on the iTunes chart, with Oasis at 58.
Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!
Graham76man
Manager

Postby oasisbobo » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:04 pm

Nice to see Oasis get a little boost :)
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby Thombus » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:48 pm

Just no.

The previous advertisement campaigns were great but this is just some bad attempt at reinvigorating the same old melancholy slop to make people feel 'warm' about Christmas.

Bah humbug and all that, but I think John Lewis peaked with Monty the Penguin last year.
Thombus
Tran Fan

Postby Thriller » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:59 pm

I like the sentiment, hate to think of old people lonely especially at Christmas. Although the cover version isn't for me, should've just used Oasis.
Thriller

Postby Airwrecka » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:28 pm

My god, it's soppy.

I don't like the girl's voice, and to be honest, these adverts are getting a little tiresome. The penguin was cute, this one is a little creepy.
❄ The brightest flame casts the darkest shadow ❄
Airwrecka
Ace Reject

Postby menime123 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:55 pm

Airwrecka wrote:My god, it's soppy.

I don't like the girl's voice, and to be honest, these adverts are getting a little tiresome. The penguin was cute, this one is a little creepy.
How is it creepy? I've read quite a bit about it being creepy online and all I can say is despite the media's best efforts, let's not demonise men for being old and interacting with anyone under 18. I see absolutely no issue here and if you do, you need to ask yourself what kind of world you want to live in.

All that said I think John Lewis dropped the ball this year. The song is synonymous for a lot of people with The Royle Family, and whilst I like the idea of tackling the spirit of Christmas and ensuring everyone experiences it and that our elderly population isn't forgotten.... It's just not very Christmassy is it?

The man in/on the moon should have had his little part of the moon decorated for Christmas so that he at least knew what time of year it was and he should have already been able to see the world and know what was happening, as that would have created a more poignant barrier between him and everyone - our elderly know it's Christmas and what it is they're missing out on. She should have sent him a phone and a ready made Christmas lunch to help him feel like he's involved - as it stands he's very much apart from the world and Christmas still.
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
menime123
Superstar

Postby Airwrecka » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:13 pm

menime123 wrote:

How is it creepy? I've read quite a bit about it being creepy online and all I can say is despite the media's best efforts, let's not demonise men for being old and interacting with anyone under 18. I see absolutely no issue here and if you do, you need to ask yourself what kind of world you want to live in.
No need to get personal. :-?

A small child secretly communicating with a complete stranger from her bedroom window every night is a little creepy to me. I don't care if he's the Man in the Moon or Jack The Ripper. It makes me feel uncomfortable.
Airwrecka
Ace Reject

Postby menime123 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:27 pm

Airwrecka wrote:
menime123 wrote:

No need to get personal. :-?

A small child secretly communicating with a complete stranger from her bedroom window every night is a little creepy to me. I don't care if he's the Man in the Moon or Jack The Ripper. It makes me feel uncomfortable.
Of course its personal - it's personal for half of the population who will eventually become old men!

We cannot see perversion everywhere or where will we end up as a society? If it makes you uncomfortable then you need to address your own issues head on because you know there's nothing perverse happening here but still feel something is amiss - I mean who on earth says it's a secret for the little girl? You're seeing what you want to see without acknowledging what you can see.
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
menime123
Superstar

Postby Airwrecka » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:37 pm

menime123 wrote:Of course its personal - it's personal for half of the population who will eventually become old men!

We cannot see perversion everywhere or where will we end up as a society? If it makes you uncomfortable then you need to address your own issues head on because you know there's nothing perverse happening here but still feel something is amiss - I mean who on earth says it's a secret for the little girl? You're seeing what you want to see without acknowledging what you can see.
Right, thanks for the sociology lesson. I have absolutely no issues to address regarding this advert, thank you very much. You're the one who thinks it's acceptable for a stranger to be staring into an unsupervised child's home through a telescope. And I take it you're cool with children recreating this with the local tramp who sits opposite their bedroom window at night, too? It has nothing to do with gender whatsoever. It's a tacky, corporate attempt to cash in on Christmas, not an academic lesson in social exclusion. I have nothing more to say on the subject.
Airwrecka
Ace Reject

Postby Wayne » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:40 pm

Well that descended into another kind of madness. :lol:

You'll enjoy the Sainsbury's advert more! 8-)
Wayne
Administrator

Postby menime123 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:41 pm

Like kids get telescopes for Christmas :lol:
menime123
Superstar

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:44 pm

Dan dunno why you feel that way about the advert, that didn't cross my mind once, it is an absolutely lovely advert, you miserable sods! :lol:
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Airwrecka » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:55 pm

I only said it was a little creepy. A quick Google search tells me there are people out there who have far stronger opinions on it than me.

I tend to find things touching when they're not nauseatingly saccharine and deliberately orchestrated to try and evoke a reaction. Anyway, you can call me Scrooge if you wish. If I had it my way, we'd have Christmas once every four years, just like the Olympics. :wink: :lol:

And Wayne, your supermarket are no strangers to ad controversy either. :lol:
Last edited by Airwrecka on Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Airwrecka
Ace Reject

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:58 pm

I think it's just a case over analysis. Each to their own, I don't watch tv much anyway so I'll not have to see it all of the time anyway.
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby biscuits » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:09 am

Just realised why Wayne keeps plugging the Sainsburys ad
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Wayne » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:16 pm

biscuits wrote:Just realised why Wayne keeps plugging the Sainsburys ad
Why?
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Thriller » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:14 pm

Saw the Sainos ad earlier - entertaining but very random.
Thriller

Postby CrazyCrazy » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:54 am

Wayne wrote:
biscuits wrote:Just realised why Wayne keeps plugging the Sainsburys ad
Why?
Don't you work for them?
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Wayne » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:13 am

Maybe.

The Sainsbury's ad is of course getting very good reviews - it is random but the idea is to support child literacy and all profits from sales of the Mog book and teddy go to Save The Children.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Graham76man » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:52 pm

Full of festive cheer the two big stores this year! :wink:

Granddad is on the moon and the cat burns down the house :lol:
Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!
Graham76man
Manager

Return to TV