The X Factor UK 2016

Postby Thriller » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:38 pm

First news about this year's show is that Nick Grimshaw has made the decision not to return and Caroline Flack has been axed as presenter. No news on Olly yet but we can hope...

After last year's damp squib, it's no surprise that changes are being made again but I think the best thing all round would be to just rest it for a few years.
Thriller

Postby Storyteller » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:18 pm

I guess this will be the last year? They should axe Ora and bring back Danny and Louis for the last series.
Storyteller
Cowboy Casanova

Postby MadeOfBricks » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:22 pm

I read on Digitalspy that the show has been renewed until 2019, so that should put an end to the continuing narrative that the show is going to end.

To be honest, I don't think the show needs changing too much. If we all accept the X Factor for what it is - and that is a highly manipulated entertainment show used as a vessel to find a) make money for SYCO through ratings and b) try and find singers along the way, then nothing much has changed since 2010. There is a constant conveyor belt of "talent" on the show in terms of judges and presenters, but that is always going to happen when you rely on those in the public eye whose job is doing something else.

The only thing I think needs to change is to scale back the manipulation. It's been obvious for years, but last year was the worst. They sabotaged the entire show to ensure that one (average) contestant won. There was no sense of "fair play" and the public seeing loveable characters like Anton Stephens and Lauren Murray so obviously emotional, and other contestants like Monica and Mason visibly irate about their experience on the show, it does nothing for the brand.

Things like changing categories, bringing in a "wildcard" category and getting rid of the overs etc. will never happen. All we will have is two new judges (Louis Walsh and another femae I imagine, I'd like to put Nicole Scherzinger back on there please) and a new presenter.
MadeOfBricks
Manager

Postby Airwrecka » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:52 pm

Storyteller wrote:I guess this will be the last year? They should axe Ora and bring back Danny and Louis for the last series.
I was like who tf is Danny? I even wondered if you meant Danny O'Donoghue for a moment lol. And then I realised you meant Dannii :lol:

I like Rita, so I hope she stays. I'd rather they axed the walking corpse, personally.

Brilliant news that Flack's gone. She so unbelievably annoying. My dad said Dermot is coming back, but I dunno if that's true?
❄ The brightest flame casts the darkest shadow ❄
Airwrecka
Ace Reject

Postby Affillate » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:50 am

Dannii has announced shes not returning to XF Australia this year, so could be a possibility.

Although In the article I was reading she said something along the lines of she wants to focus on some 'new and exciting upcoming projects', which I think may involve some sort of Fashion thing. Also I saw her recently present a story on Ch10's The Project (a kind of light news/panel show here) about a warehouse that takes in and supplies struggling families with baby equipment, and trying to get some crowdfunding going for them to move to a larger location.

Found a promo for it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLJB3fEth1I
Affillate
Manager

Postby MadeOfBricks » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:38 am

I doubt Dannii would ever return. I think she's a popular choice for fans of the show but I don't think the general public even remember her tbh.
MadeOfBricks
Manager

Postby muzik_biz_wiz » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:17 am

The show might to better if it had some consistency. It's golden era was the Cheryl, Simon, Louis, Dannii era and that's because people got to see a dynamic form and grow. There's been a new line up for each of the last 5 series it's the same thing that hurt the American version.
Uk the only way
muzik_biz_wiz
Manager

Postby Thriller » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:34 am

True, BGT has had the same judge line-up for the last 5 series and it's as popular as ever.
Thriller

Postby Graham76man » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:09 am

Thriller wrote:True, BGT has had the same judge line-up for the last 5 series and it's as popular as ever.
Presumably that's because they all get on! Plus the judges on that don't have to tell the acts what to do or show them how to do things. I don't recall any of BGT judges get into deep S*** over any of the acts on that show.

Whereas Danni was arguing with Sharon, Cheryl with Simon and no doubt other feuds which I have either forgotten, or that didn't come to light.
The show's audience is much tougher on the judges than BGT. One bad song choice could end with a top favourite act going and what seems the wrath of the Country on the judge that chose the song!
Clearly how much they get paid and what they want to get paid and how much the show can pay them, is clearly another factor.
But the fact the biggest draw of the show was Simon's remarks and him going missing to do other things impacted greatly on the show. Since he came back, he has barely uttered a harsh word to any contestant. So that's another factor.
Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!
Graham76man
Manager

Postby menime123 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:44 pm

The thing with TXF is that we all know what it's about, so no matter what changes they put in place, the public already know whether or not it's something they want to watch. TXF was a bit of a rarity back in the day, in that it's audience grew series on series for a few years.

I think it helped when they started finding credible artists, but when the audience can see Syco ultimately screws then over then it all becomes a bit contrived and you're no longer watching to see who will become 'the next big thing' in music (as Leona, Alexandra and a few others had big potential to be. 1D I'm not including because I don't think anyone saw how big they would actually become from their time on the show).

When Cheryl joined, she brought a lot of media attention and a lot of new viewers. Whatever the reason, Dannii, Simon, Cheryl and Louis were the golden era of the show but I think it helped that they actually had some strong contestants too. Their fighting and squabbling made for great TV.

The problems started when Simon thought he could leave the show for the US. You don't walk out of the biggest show on TV and for the public to be on board with that. The show is so much about the judges because that familiarality is important - we don't want to feel like we're watching second choice or second rate judges.

Simon is too concerned about making the show appeal to the youth market now too. Yes they buy records, but you need names in there that work for the parents as much as the kids - Nick Grimshaw and Rita were completely wrong because Rita's had 1 album and Nick is just a radio presenter on a station that thinks you're basically dead if you're over 25.

This year will be Cheryl. Simon, Rita (confirmed there's talks with both XF and TV) and a member of 1D. I'd love Liam to join because there's never been a publicly known couple on the judging panel here (though Dannii and Simon were certainly doing it), and if they break up I can't even begin to consider the dramas :lol:
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
menime123
Superstar

Postby biscuits » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:47 am

I actually think 1D killed the show. Nobody will ever be as big as them, so it's almost like, what's the point in trying? And the fact that they were constantly appearing on the show didn't help matters - just a reminder of what the contestants will never achieve.

Almost like Britain's Got Talent - SuBo became bigger than the show, so after her season, it felt like there was not much point watching because nobody would ever compare.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Thriller » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:00 pm

Dermot is coming back in a reported £1.5m deal and the room auditions will also return. I didn't expect Dermot to do a u-turn, but for that money who wouldn't?!

There is talk that Simon wants a panel with him, Cheryl, Louis and Sharon on it.
Thriller

Postby Graham76man » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:57 pm

Dermot's return is down to pressure from ITV I think.
They didn't want a couple of amateurs presenting the big money spot of Saturday night TV and the money from the adverts going, as Sky syphon's it away from them.
Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!
Graham76man
Manager

Postby Airwrecka » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:15 pm

Thriller wrote:There is talk that Simon wants a panel with him, Cheryl, Louis and Sharon on it.
That would be horrible for me. Not one likeable judge. Is Rita Ora definitely not coming back do we know?

As for Dermot - I'll take him over the horrendous Caroline and Olly, but I was secretly hoping for Cat Deeley. I dunno what happened to her, but she was a pretty competent presenter for live tv back in the day.
Airwrecka
Ace Reject

Postby SholasBoy » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:24 pm

I hated Cat Deeley when she used to give us the pointless UK presenting of American Idol, as if we needed some sort of help with what was going on. She was useless.
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby MadeOfBricks » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:37 am

Cat Deely?! Wtf :lol:

Last I heard, Rita was reportedly in discussions with both The Voice and X Factor about returning to one of them. I quite liked her last year,but that was more down to her dynamic with Grimmy. Sharon coming back would be entertaining but I'd prefer Nicole.
MadeOfBricks
Manager

Postby Airwrecka » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:29 am

Lol I dunno, she just came to me in a blast from the past moment. I remember people complanning about her American Idol role, but I didn't watch it. She used to present Fame Academy, right? I dunno, maybe I just remember her with rose-tinted glasses. I miss the days of Gladiators, followed by Blind Date with Cilla on a Saturday evening. :lol:
Airwrecka
Ace Reject

Postby menime123 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:57 pm

You know, I'd love Cat Deeley to make a comeback. I was secretly hoping that Emma Willis might get it, but Dermot is one of the best and greatly missed last year. I'm still hoping Liam Payne gets the job, but just want Dannii and Louis back :lol:
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
menime123
Superstar

Postby SholasBoy » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:24 am

Oh no, Cheryl has quit because she's threatening us with more music :evil:
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby Ska8er » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:29 am

I have a feeling that Cheryl quit because Nicole's coming back.
Rest In Peace Lilly!
Ska8er
Legend

Postby SholasBoy » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:48 am

Shamazeballs
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby Thriller » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:54 am

Does Cheryl not realise her music success goes hand in hand with the X Factor?
Thriller

Postby MrRager » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:56 am

Thriller wrote:Does Cheryl not realise her music success goes hand in hand with the X Factor?
Exactly!
#Pray4AL6
MrRager
Legend

Postby SholasBoy » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:24 pm

I can't stand Cheryl on XFactor but I'll take that over her singing, at least I can just choose not to watch it
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby MadeOfBricks » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:39 pm

Cheryl quitting her job as Simon's monotone puppet to become a monotone puppet who dances a bit, to generic R&B/pop songs. Tropical house seems to be the flavour of last month, I imagine that is what she will come back with. ANYWAY.

Bring back Nicole!
MadeOfBricks
Manager

Return to TV