The Entertainment News Thread

Postby Airwrecka » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:02 pm

This is a place to discuss Entertainment related News that does not require its own thread. Things that can go in here are news items related to: television, film, literature, art, theatre etc. Examples of topics you may discuss in here include: announcements of new projects with unspecific titles / details, news articles relating to one of the media forms listed above, anything Entertainment related that does not fit neatly into another thread.

A good example of a post that could go here is this.

Remember: most News & Gossip items can be posted in the specific forum. Box Office statistics and discussion can go in the relevant thread here. This is just for any smaller Entertainment related News items.

Enjoy. :wink:
❄ The brightest flame casts the darkest shadow ❄
Airwrecka
Ace Reject

Postby Colton » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:44 pm

People Aren’t Happy About The British LGBT Awards

The British LGBT Awards are getting quite the bashing on Twitter.

#BoycottLGBTAwards is trending on Twitter in the UK and everyone is asking questions about the motives behind the awards after a number of “strange” choices for nominees were released by the awards.

Most people are angry about the Ally Award and the Global Icon Award.

The awards, which are hosted by Square Peg Media, dubbed (somehow) as the “gay oscars”, have run into trouble again, after last year the event was ‘marred’ by the attendance of Katie Hopkins, which the award’s hosts issued an apology for inviting the columnist.

They even asked her to leave – which seems very inclusive to us…

This controversy seems to surround the award’s choice of “allies” and icons, which include YouTuber Zoella, Zayn Malik and Hilary Clinton, with users asking why allies need an award at all.

They even asked her to leave – which seems very inclusive to us…

This controversy seems to surround the award’s choice of “allies” and icons, which include YouTuber Zoella, Zayn Malik and Hilary Clinton, with users asking why allies need an award at all.

The full “Ally” list include: Kim Cattral, Danny Dyer, Nigella Lawson, Brian May, Eddie Redmayne, James Sutton, Zoella, Holly Willoughby.

Hillary Clinton is nominated for the “Global Icon” award along with Cher, Stephen Fry, Bette Midler and George Takei.

Zayn Malik was nominated in the simply named “Music Artist” despite the fact that Zayn has never come out as gay or bi. During an interview when asked about sexuality he said:

“Just be yourself. If that’s who you are, that’s who you are and don’t be afraid to be the person that you are.”

A source close to the awards said that the nominations were public choice.

http://www.thegayuk.com/british-lgbt-aw ... n-twitter/
ARIANA GRANDE I HILARY DUFF I ZAYN MALIK I LANA DEL REY
Colton
Personal Assistant

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:48 pm

Zayn Malik, what has he done then? Are you sure little girls didn't vote instead of gay men? :roll: :lol:

The whole idea of gay awards is silly anyway imo.
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby biscuits » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:52 pm

Actually, this could go in 'The Gay News Topic' :lol:
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Colton » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:53 pm

biscuits wrote:Actually, this could go in 'The Gay News Topic' :lol:
ffs
Colton
Personal Assistant

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:54 pm

Does it matter where it goes? Stop being pedantic! :roll:
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Storyteller » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:58 pm

CrazyCrazy wrote:Does it matter where it goes? Stop being pedantic! :roll:
Storyteller
Cowboy Casanova

Postby Airwrecka » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:11 pm

It's fine here. :lol:
Airwrecka
Ace Reject

Postby biscuits » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:12 pm

CrazyCrazy wrote:Does it matter where it goes? Stop being pedantic! :roll:
Read what I wrote again and then roll those eyes back the other way :roll:
biscuits
The Diva

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:20 pm

Sorry but pedantic behaviour irritates me!
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby biscuits » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:23 pm

CrazyCrazy wrote:Sorry but pedantic behaviour irritates me!
I said it COULD go in the Gay thread, not that it has to, and it was a tongue-in-cheek joke at all the recent confusion :(
biscuits
The Diva

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:24 pm

Don't get emotional! :lol: We just need to calm down a bit.
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Airwrecka » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:59 pm

Colton wrote:The CW orders 6 pilots

The CW is doubling down on sci-fi and fantasy for 2016. The network has ordered six new pilots, and most are big-concept genre shows. The list includes Mars thriller, a Translyvania-set monster mash-up and a present-day, live-action take on the Archie Comics.

One title to watch out for in particular is the one with the least amount of description — Kevin Williamson’s untitled and vaguely described paranormal project. The script snagged director David “the pilot whisperer” Nutter, who has a terrific track record for making pilots that get greenlit to series.

Here’s the list:

RIVERDALE

Pitch: “Set in present day and based on the iconic Archie Comics characters, Riverdale is a surprising and subversive take on Archie, Betty, Veronica, and their friends, exploring the surrealism of small town life — the darkness and weirdness bubbling beneath Riverdale’s wholesome façade.”
EP/W: Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa (Supergirl, Glee, Big Love) EP: Greg Berlanti (Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl,DC’s Legends of Tomorrow) EP: Sarah Schechter (Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow) EP: Jon Goldwater (Archie Comics). (Warner Bros. Television / Berlanti Productions / Based on the characters from Archie Comics)

UNTITLED MARS PROJECT

The pitch: “A team of explorers arrive on Mars to join the first human colony on the planet, only to discover that their predecessors have vanished. Led by a woman whose husband is among the missing, the colonists are forced to change their mission from exploration and settlement to investigation and survival, while navigating the hostile planet and their own personal demons.”
Executive Producer/Writer: Doris Egan (Reign, House MD, Tru Calling) Executive Producers: Frank Marshall, Robert Zotnowski Auspices: CBS Television Studios in association with The Kennedy-Marshall Company

TRANSYLVANIA

The pitch: “In 1880, a headstrong young woman in search of her missing father ventures from NYC to Transylvania where she teams up with a wrongfully disgraced Scotland Yard Detective, and together they witness the births of the most famous monsters and villains in history.”
Executive Producer/Writer: Hugh Sterbakov Executive Producers: Jeff Pinkner, Andre Nemec, Josh Applebaum, Scott Rosenberg Auspices: CBS Television Studios in association with Midnight Radio

UNT. PARANORMAL PROJECT

The pitch: “A young woman seeks help from a parapsychologist when she begins to experience paranormal phenomena.” EP/W: Kevin Williamson (The Vampire Diaries, The Following, Scream features) EP (pilot)/D: David Nutter (Arrow, The Flash, Game of Thrones,Supernatural) P: Lauren Wagner. (Warner Bros. Television / Outerbanks Entertainment)

FREQUENCY

The pitch: “In this reimagining of the New Line Cinema film, a female police detective in 2016 discovers she is able to speak via a ham radio with her estranged father (also a detective) who died in 1996. They forge a new relationship while working together on an unresolved murder case, but unintended consequences of the ‘butterfly effect’ wreak havoc in the present day.”
EP/W: Jeremy Carver (Supernatural, Being Human) EP: Toby Emmerich (writer/producer of original film; President and COO, New Line Cinema) EP: John Rickard (features: Horrible Bosses, A Nightmare On Elm Street 2010 reboot) EP: Dan Lin (Forever, features:The Lego Movie, Sherlock Holmes) EP: Jennifer Gwartz (Forever,Veronica Mars) (Warner Bros. Television / Lin Pictures / Based on the New Line Cinema feature film).

NO TOMORROW

Pitch: “When a risk-averse, straight-arrow, female procurement manager at an Amazon-like distribution center falls in love with a freewheeling man who lives life to the fullest because he believes the apocalypse is imminent, to comedic and poignant results they embark on a quest together to fulfill their individual bucket lists.”
Executive Producer/Writer: Corinne Brinkerhoff (American Gothic,Jane The Virgin, The Good Wife) and Scott McCabe & Tory Stanton Executive Producer: Ben Silverman (Jane The Virgin,The Office, Ugly Betty). Auspices: CBS Television Studios in association with Electus

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/29/cw ... -riverdale
Airwrecka
Ace Reject

Postby Airwrecka » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:01 pm

Colton wrote:James Franco to Direct Zola Stripper Film Based on Twitter

James Franco, Andrew Neel and Killer Films are developing a movie based on stripper Azia “Zola” Wells’ saga of a wild road trip to Florida with Franco directing.

The project is based on David Kushner’s story for Rolling Stone, published in November and titled “Zola Tells All: The Real Story Behind the Greatest Stripper Saga Ever Tweeted.”

Franco will direct from a script by Neel and Mike Roberts. Franco and Vince Jolivette are producing through their Rabbit Bandini Productions with Killer Films’ Christine Vachon and David Hinojosa, and Gigi Films’ Gia Walsh and Kara Baker.

Kushner’s story was billed as an exclusive account of Wells’ 148-tweet about her October road trip to Florida with her friend Jessica, Jessica’s boyfriend Jarrett, and Jessica’s violent Nigerian pimp “Z.”

The first tweet read, “Okay listen up. This story long. So I met this white bitch at Hooters…” The tweets include a hustler gets murdered and Jarrett leaping from a four-story window.

“It reads like ‘Spring Breakers’ meets ‘Pulp Fiction,’ as told by Nicki Minaj,” Kushner observed.

Franco, Neel and Killer Films most recently collaborated on fraternity hazing drama “Goat,” which starred Nick Jonas and was produced by Franco with Neel directing. The film premiered at Sundance and sold last week to Paramount Home Media.

CAA, which represents Franco, Neel, Killer Films, and Kushner, will represent the film’s domestic distribution rights.

Franco’s directing credits include “In Dubious Battle,” “As I Lay Dying” and the upcoming “The Disaster Artist.”

Franco is also represented by Untitled Entertainment and Sloane Offer; Neel is also represented by Washington Square Films.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/james ... 201697548/

If you haven't read the Zola story, read it here: http://imgur.com/gallery/lNmdk
Airwrecka
Ace Reject

Postby Colton » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:29 am

“America’s Next Top Model” Is Coming Back—On VH1!

Smize, everyone: We said farewell to Tyra Banks’s glam showdown, America’s Next Top Model, in December, but now comes word the show is returning—with a brand new face—on VH1.

Banks will continue to serve as executive producer for the new season, but the revamped 14-episode show will feature a new host and judges, to be announced at a later time.

“After creating an incredible, global brand, I am beyond excited to have the show reborn,” said the former supermodel. “I will continue as executive producer, but must turn my attention to new business endeavors, so I want to find a new host. I’m pumped to identify that person and bring back the show. Top Model fans, you demanded that the show come back, and VH1 answered the call. Get ready for a fierce-a-fied rebirth!”

Can we make a teensy casting suggestion?

“We’re thrilled to bring America’s Next Top Model back to VH1,” said VH1 GM Chris McCarthy. “This is a homecoming for the series, as VH1 helped catapult the show to cultural icon status as the first cable network to air the show after it launched.”

We’re just so excited we get to pull this gif out of the mothballs.

http://www.newnownext.com/americas-next ... of%20Brand
Colton
Personal Assistant

Postby stevyy » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:56 am

Grey's Anatomy renewed for season 13. :o :o :o :cry: :cry: :cry:

I looove it.
stevyy
Legend

Postby muzik_biz_wiz » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:33 am

The CW renews all shows for 2016-17

Supernatural (Season 12)
Vampire Diaries (Season 8)
Arrow (Season 5)
The 100 (Season 4)
Reign (Season 4)
The Originals (Season 4)
Jane The Virgin (Season 3)
iZombie (Season 3)
The Flash (Season 3)
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (Season 2)
Legends Of Tomorrow (Season 2)

They also have one more show to air in April but like most late starters it wont do well. They want to add three shows on to the schedule next year so my guess

Monday: Vampire Diaries (Fall, Short) + Originals (Fall) (both full seasons)
Tuesday: Arrow (Fall) + New Show (Fall) (Full season and 13 episodes)
Wednesday: Supernatural (Fall) + iZombie (Fall) (Full season and 18 episodes)
Thursday: The Flash (Fall) + New Show (Fall) (Full season and 13 episodes)
Friday: Jane The Virgin (Fall) + Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (Fall) (Full season and 13 episodes)

January
Monday: Same
Tuesday: Arrow and The 100 (13 for The 100)
Wednesday: Supernatural and iZombie until March and then third new show (13 for new show going into Summer)
Thursday: The Flash and Legends Of Tomorrow (13 - 16 episodes for Legends)
Friday: Jane The Virgin and Reign (Spring/Summer)

If any of the new shows take off they'll replace The Originals or Vampire Diaries which will move back to Fridays
Last edited by Airwrecka on Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to Entertainment News topic.
Uk the only way
muzik_biz_wiz
Manager

Postby MrRager » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:45 am

Nice The 100! Although I'm surprised. Is it doing really well?
#Pray4AL6
MrRager
Legend

Postby muzik_biz_wiz » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:24 pm

Not really well but it doesn't need to be now that the network doesn't stick with 22 episode seasons. It got a 0.9 rating for season one, 0.5 for season 2 and is averaging 0.7 this season so it's up and again sells well internationally.

If it gets another 13 episodes next season that will take it to 55 episodes so nowhere near syndication but it would pretty much guarantee a fifth season as some syndication deals or streaming deals will go for around 70 episodes.

Supernatural will be breaking a lot of records going in to season 12.

Vampire diaries ratings are way down as is he spin off. I wouldn't be surprised if VD gets announced as a final season with a shorter episode order with the same napping for originals next year. iZombie is a tricky one its numbers are good for the network they just seem to not want to bother as much with it but I think it'll end up with a full season order and I think the non genre shows will all end up as Friday or summer shows
Uk the only way
muzik_biz_wiz
Manager

Postby Airwrecka » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:58 pm

I'm glad there's more of The 100 to look forward to. :D
Airwrecka
Ace Reject

Postby Spartan » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:07 pm

So excited about The 100!
Supernatural and Vampire Diaries both need to end soon surely?
Arrow is great so I'm pleased about another season.
Surprised at Reign, the quality of that show dipped incredibly in S2, and with Torrance Coombs leaving it's gonna have no male leads.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Airwrecka » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:05 pm

BBC News wrote:US cinema chain AMC set to allow customers to text during films

One of the largest cinema chains in the US is considering letting customers use their mobile phones during films.

AMC chief executive Adam Aron said he wanted to encourage so-called millennials to visit the cinema.

He told Variety magazine: "You can't tell a 22-year-old to turn off their cellphone. That's not how they live their life."

But he said he would have to find a solution that did not disturb other movie-goers.

AMC operates almost 400 cinemas in the United States, with more than 5,000 screens. The chain also has a UK multi-screen complex in Manchester.

In February the firm announced its intention to buy rival Carmike, which will make it the largest cinema chain in the US.

But Mr Aron said young adults today were not visiting the cinema as much as their parents did when they were young.
Source

Slightly misleading headline, given the article says they are "considering". Even so, I would hate this. The bright screens in front would be so irritating. Ugh, hate this generation sometimes. :roll: :lol:
Airwrecka
Ace Reject

Postby Biebz » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:37 pm

You can't tell a 22-year-old to turn off their cellphone. That's not how they live their life.
This is ridiculous, we aren't glued to our phones Image

If you can't sit and watch a movie without going on your phone then you clearly aren't interested enough and shouldn't be watching it at the cinema. Wait for the DVD if you want to do that
my reputation's never been worse so you must like me for me
Biebz
Best Damn Member

Postby Airwrecka » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:51 pm

Biebz wrote:
You can't tell a 22-year-old to turn off their cellphone. That's not how they live their life.
This is ridiculous, we aren't glued to our phones Image

If you can't sit and watch a movie without going on your phone then you clearly aren't interested enough and shouldn't be watching it at the cinema. Wait for the DVD if you want to do that
Yeah, exactly. Cinemas are one of the few places where people don't use their phones, actually. We are creating a generation that are glued to their phones but can't even string a sentence together in a conversation. Exaggerating, but it's really going that way...
Airwrecka
Ace Reject

Postby Airwrecka » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:24 pm

In the Beyoncé - Lemonade thread, Hugo wrote:HBO will let you watch Game of Thrones and Beyoncé this weekend for free

Just in time for the debut of Game of Thrones and Beyoncé's mysterious new Lemonade event, HBO is letting non-subscribers watch a full weekend's worth of premium television for free. Starting this Friday and ending on Sunday night, the network is making some of its best offerings available to everyone, if only to get people to subscribe going forward.

In addition to GoT and Lemonade, fans will be able to watch the pay-TV premiere of Jurassic World on Saturday night, as well as the return of Silicon Valley and Veep on Sunday night. Last Week Tonight with John Oliver and the original HBO film Confirmation will also play that night. On top of all this, Cinemax shows like Banshee will also be available for free viewing. Of course, anyone interested will have to check with their provider to make sure they have access to the promotion.

This is perfect timing for the network to tout its HBO Now service to potential subscribers. In addition to its being one of the most popular, Game of Thrones continues to be the most torrented series in the world. Watching the long-awaited premiere for free might turn some would-be pirates into paying customers — especially since HBO Now is free for the first month.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/20/11469 ... es-beyonce
Awesome!
Airwrecka
Ace Reject

Return to TV