The Great British Bake Off

Postby Biebz » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:48 pm

thankfulforkelly wrote:I'm thinking it'd be cool to get Nadiya to replace Mary
Yes!
my reputation's never been worse so you must like me for me
Biebz
Best Damn Member

Postby WEDway82 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:38 pm

Well the end of the BBC's era of GBBO is nearly at an end. I don't think I can choose between the finalists.
"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney
WEDway82
Roadie

Postby Wayne » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:55 pm

Jane and Andrew have been 2/3 of my faves since the start - so not fussed if either of those two win!
Wayne
Administrator

Postby WEDway82 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:37 pm

I had a feeling who the winner would be.. although as I said, I couldn't have chosen between them myself.

So long Original-GBBO. Thanks for all the laughter and entertaiment, over the years. Here's hoping Channel 4 makes a decent go of it, and we get a fine replacement from Auntie.
"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney
WEDway82
Roadie

Postby UKMusicLova » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:40 pm

The winner was deserved! When Jane and Andrew served raw pastry, you knew it was going to be Candice

It didn't have the same impact on me as when Nadiya won last year, but good for her!
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby SholasBoy » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:45 pm

I would have been pleased for whichever of the finalists won, they were all so likeable, I don't know why Candice has been so unpopular on social media. It was a terrific and lovely series, so nice to have a "reality" show full of everyday people who are likeable, modest, not fame hungry, I hope Channel 4 doesn't ruin it.
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby Thriller » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:15 am

Liked all three of the finalists but I'm glad for Candice cos of the flack she's undeservedly had!
Thriller

Postby SeeForever » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:48 pm

Candice was a deserved winner she did go for it a lot like Tom, he had one really bad week but Candice never was in any danger, Jane was probably the more consistent baker but you want someone to win who really goes for it and that's what she did throughout the show

Sad this is the last series on BBC, shame on the people behind the show for selling out to Channel 4, it just won't be the same
RIP The Queen Of Disco
SeeForever
Legend

Postby Wayne » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:47 pm

New series starts today!

Loving it so far!
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Wayne » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:16 pm

Honestly loved show 1 - barely missed Mary, Mel or Sue!
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Biebz » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:24 pm

Yeah I enjoyed it. Anyone else feel like they were rushing a bit though? When they were judging the signature bake, some people were getting like 5 seconds :lol:
my reputation's never been worse so you must like me for me
Biebz
Best Damn Member

Postby Thriller » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:18 pm

It was REALLY rushed in some parts - is that because there were more contestants or too many adverts?

I missed Mel and Sue a lot actually. Noel and Sandi will need some time to grow on me. Prue was good though, much tougher than Mary, apart from absolutely everything being "dry".
Thriller

Postby Wayne » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:39 pm

Channel 4's highest ratings since 2012...

Great British Bake Off is ratings success for Channel 4

The first episode of Channel 4's The Great British Bake Off was watched live by an average of 5.8 million viewers.

The audience for the launch show rose to 6.5 million when those watching on +1 were included in the figures.

It's the lowest figure for an opening episode of GBBO since 2013 - when the show attracted 5.6 million viewers to BBC Two.

But the show still won the channel its biggest overnight audience since the Paralympics Opening Ceremony in 2012.

"The Great British Bake Off's audience last night proves it's still one of the country's favourite shows," tweeted Channel 4's chief creative officer Jay Hunt.

"I am delighted millions watched the new team put 12 magnificent bakers through their paces."

The figures don't include those who watch the show on the network's catch-up service All 4.

Last week Hunt said she would consider anything above 3 million viewers a success for the programme.

"If it gets 5, 6, 7 [million] I would be absolutely delighted," she told the Edinburgh International TV Festival.

"This show breaks even at around 3 million, so anything north of that would be fantastic."

BBC One's highest audience of Wednesday night was for EastEnders, which attracted 5.5 million viewers at 20:00 BST.

Emmerdale was watched by a live audience of 5.4 million viewers, making it ITV's highest-rated programme of the night.
  • 2010: 2 million (BBC Two)
  • 2011: 2.8 million
  • 2012: 3.5 million
  • 2013: 5.6 million
  • 2014: 7.2 million (BBC One)
  • 2015: 9.3 million
  • 2016: 10.4 million
  • 2017: 5.8 million (Channel 4; 6.5 million including +1)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-41094224
Huge success for C4 but massively down on 2016.

I find it interesting that the break even point is 3m.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Thriller » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:12 pm

4m viewers abandoned it because it moved channels?! Ludicrous.
Thriller

Postby SholasBoy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:23 pm

Wayne wrote:Honestly loved show 1 - barely missed Mary, Mel or Sue!
Have to agree. I have thoroughly enjoyed the first 2 episodes. I think they have been really fun to watch and I'd even say I enjoyed them more than previous seasons, Noel and Sandi offer some funny moments without being annoying like Mel and Sue and I find Prue much more personable and positive than Mary. The tasks have been really interesting too! Loved the Week 1 showstopper and the Fortune Cookies. Also now that the weirdo in the offensive shirt has gone, I actually really like all the contestants! Great job!
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby king_oxymoron » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:54 pm

Obviously i LOVED Mary but I do find Prue more 'with it' and has more to offer. Loved Mel and Sue, but finding Sandi and Noel really amusing.

Favourites: Tom, Yan, Stacey, Liam, Flo and Julia and you can't deny Steven's baking. Yea, most of them haha
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Thriller » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:12 pm

It feels more bedded in now after two episodes, really liking Prue and the contestants all seem likeable! Sandi's quips are amusing.

Steven getting star baker in the first two weeks is just setting him up for a fall along the way I feel! His biscuit boardgame was impressive with how intricate it was though.
Thriller

Postby Wayne » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:57 pm

Definitely think the two least competent bakers have been sifted out in the first two weeks.

SO looking forward to bread week next week - so pleased my Flo avoided elimination this week.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Wayne » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:15 pm

Oh no! :cry:
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Thriller » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:42 am

Flo was a bit of a narky cow.

My favourite three at the moment are Steven, Julia (that snail :lol:) and Kate.
Thriller

Postby king_oxymoron » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:02 am

Mainly rooting for Tom, Julia, Liam, Yan and Stacey
Middle of the pack are Sophie and Steven
Ones I would like to see go next are James and Kate

Sad to see Flo go but only because she made me laugh. The whole show was really funny this week, laden with innuendo, Noel and Sandi are really gelling now too. and that Prue knows what she's doing!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Wayne » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:04 am

I thought they made Flo look quite vindictive this week in how they filmed her. :lol:

Her reactions when that other lady who used squid ink was getting praise... :o
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Wayne » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:17 am

Noel Fielding's refrigerator joke on Bake Off may spark Ofcom investigation
There have been 24 complaints over the stunt.

It seems Noel Fielding's fridge-hiding antics on Tuesday's (September 12) episode of The Great British Bake Off could be more serious than first thought.

The Channel 4 presenter was briefly seen huddled up inside a refrigerator to tell the bakers how much time they had left in the Showstopper, with co-host Sandi Toksvig opening and closing the door.

"Just when you thought @NoelFielding11 couldn't get any cooler...," Channel 4 later tweeted.

However, some viewers were not happy with the gag, and Ofcom has subsequently received 24 complaints, which could lead to a full investigation.

"We will assess these complaints before deciding whether or not to investigate," a spokesperson said.

The general line of criticism centred on the fact that children were watching and that they could potentially copy Noel's stunt.
I have no words.

24 people need to get a life.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby SholasBoy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:29 am

Children could also burn their hands or cut themselves copying the show...
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby Damiennatas1 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:36 pm

Jesus Christ. :roll:
Damiennatas1
Manager

Return to TV