This Is Us

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:55 pm

Is anyone else watching this? It's absolutely brilliant! Each episode leaves you feeling uplifted, and, in many ways, it's so reminiscent of Sense8.
Last edited by JSparksFan on Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Spartan » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:12 pm

I don't think I've ever watched a TV show where I've cried at every single episode, and it's only just started. It's fantastic, totally bummed about Jack though as he's my favourite. I didn't really like Kevin until 2 episodes ago but he's warmed on me so much plus, as a kid, he seems to have been the most neglected out of all of them. I will get frustrated if all of Kate's storylines revolve around her being fat though.

Aside from the split narrative and everyone born on the same day bit, I don't really see the comparison with Sense8 personally.
Spartan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:07 pm

Spartan wrote:I don't think I've ever watched a TV show where I've cried at every single episode, and it's only just started. It's fantastic, totally bummed about Jack though as he's my favourite. I didn't really like Kevin until 2 episodes ago but he's warmed on me so much plus, as a kid, he seems to have been the most neglected out of all of them. I will get frustrated if all of Kate's storylines revolve around her being fat though.

Aside from the split narrative and everyone born on the same day bit, I don't really see the comparison with Sense8 personally.
Perhaps I'm focusing too much on the diversity aspect, and the scene with Kevin on the flight, where Kate felt the same turbulence he did, reminded me of the interconnectedness of many Sense8 scenes. Sense8 similarities (or lack thereof) aside, this show is exceptional as a standalone series. Randall is my personal favourite, but Jack deserves a 'World's Greatest Dad' coffee mug. He is such an awesome father. :cry:

I hope that doesn't happen, and with Toby by her side (who has to be the most awesome secondary character on the show), I think her story arc should be more multi-dimensional.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Spartan » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:47 pm

Randall's kids are literally the cutest kids ever. Very rarely are there likeable kids on TV but these girls are exactly that. And the kids who play Kevin, Randall and Kate are all very good too.
Spartan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:07 pm

Spartan wrote:Randall's kids are literally the cutest kids ever. Very rarely are there likeable kids on TV but these girls are exactly that. And the kids who play Kevin, Randall and Kate are all very good too.
Yeah, his daughters are awesome, as is his wife. Really, everyone on the show is great! Even Randall's father, who I fully expected to be a POS, is a strong, personable character.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby cdschart » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:06 am

Caught the pilot and the twist was interesting but it's not a show I could watch every week. I might binge it during the holidays though
cdschart
Personal Assistant

Postby MusicLover88 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:04 am

It's a cute little show tbh. Everything about it works well. Agreed that it's very binge watch-able lol.
Unlike other things that wither, she preserves. She’s a constant in a world of relentless flux. She’s a beacon of immortality. Bitch, she’s Madonna.
MusicLover88
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:31 am

Randall is such a faultless character. I love him! The scene with his wife asking his dad if he wanted some weed to ease his pain was hilarious, though! I wasn't a huge fan of hers in the beginning, but she is awesome! :lol:

I like the direction the flashbacks are going, with Jack and Rebecca reaching a point where they start reneging on long-established traditions (a kiss goodbye before work, dinner, etc.), as I feel like the stage is being set for the big reveal as to how the greatest dad in the world dies prematurely.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:01 am

The Christmas episode was absolutely phenomenal. I would even go as far as to call it the best episode from any TV show in 2016...but that final scene with Toby was heartbreaking. :cry:
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby MusicLover88 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:11 pm

How about William being gay, huh? Did NOT see that coming!

They're nominated for a few Golden Globes, including Mandy Moore and Chrissy Metz for Best Supporting Actress and This Is Us for Best Drama Series!
Unlike other things that wither, she preserves. She’s a constant in a world of relentless flux. She’s a beacon of immortality. Bitch, she’s Madonna.
MusicLover88
Manager

Postby ThaInfo1 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:54 pm

MusicLover88 wrote:How about William being gay, huh? Did NOT see that coming!

They're nominated for a few Golden Globes, including Mandy Moore and Chrissy Metz for Best Supporting Actress and This Is Us for Best Drama Series!
Bih I was SHOOK.

(also btw, I am obsessed with show. Literally love everyone).

Mandy Moore is really doing her thing on this show. I love that it makes you feel good and see positive ways in things without making it corny. that is an ART.

And chile my heart couldn't take that cliff hanger. That wasn't the season finale was it? :cry:
SEE.sza.RUN
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby thankfulforkelly » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:58 pm

this has started airing in the UK and my god its so good
Reaching your lemon
Say you're reaching your lemon
Going over your lemon
thankfulforkelly
Manager

Postby Benny » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:40 pm

I've started watching it today and I'm hooked, such a great show!
Benny
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:21 pm

Not a fan of Milo Ventimiglia's new look... he used to be so hot
NothingFails
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:36 pm

NothingFails wrote:Not a fan of Milo Ventimiglia's new look... he used to be so hot
He still is. The moustache look doesn't work for most guys, but I think it works for him!
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby MusicLover88 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:34 am

Should this be spoiler free? Or we're free to discuss anything and everything? :lol:
MusicLover88
Manager

Postby JimJim » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:08 am

I thought this was a thread about the 2013 One Direction film 'This Is Us' :lol: :lol:
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby stevyy » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:17 pm

like Pete said, I've been crying at the end of every single episode. I mean this is a totally new experience for me - i believe this to be the best show ever - it certainly is the most dramatic.

and yes, I thought Phil (from Modern Family) was the best TV dad ever, but Jack is idk an infinity of miles above him.

I so hope that Toby does not die bc then Kate's storyline will get even more 1-dimensional. + He is awesome.

But oh boy, I know I will not recover when we learn how Jack met his end and i also know that i will not recover when William dies.

Every single episode so far gets a 10/10 rating from me.

+ Milo shud win all the damn awards for being the best TV dad of all times.
stevyy
Legend

Postby Spartan » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:01 pm

NothingFails wrote:Not a fan of Milo Ventimiglia's new look... he used to be so hot
Milo is hotter here than he has ever been. Justin is hot but Milo is another level hot.
Spartan
Legend

Postby stevyy » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:54 pm

Spartan wrote:
Milo is hotter here than he has ever been. Justin is hot but Milo is another level hot.
MILO is extremely hot. the first scene with that towel had me drooling for hours. :oops: :lol:
stevyy
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:15 pm

MusicLover88 wrote:Should this be spoiler free? Or we're free to discuss anything and everything? :lol:
Once an episode has aired, its contents should be fair game.

JimJim wrote:I thought this was a thread about the 2013 One Direction film 'This Is Us' :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Lemme edit the thread title to avoid confusion.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby MusicLover88 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:03 pm

Milo is beautiful but I feel like he buffed up a little too much...he'd look even better if he were a tad slimmer imo.
MusicLover88
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:32 am

Bigger arms? All the better to cuddle with, my dear. :lol:
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby LionH3art » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:06 pm

Milo is super hot, ultimate dad.
LionH3art
Superstar

Postby Spartan » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:41 pm

LionH3art wrote:Milo is super hot, ultimate dad.
Major DILFage. I hope he sticks with the show despite what we know about his character.
Spartan
Legend

Return to TV