Eurovision Song Contest 2018: Lisbon, Portugal, May 2018

Moderators: Spartan, menime123

Postby Mainshow » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:43 pm

SholasBoy wrote:Apparently revamps of Spain and UK are out there. Has anyone heard either of them yet?
I heard both. The songs are still utterly horrendous.

The British entry sounds a bit different now because she's basically just using her lower register (maybe it's easier to sing that way).
#JUSTICE4ALEKSEEV
Mainshow
Legend

Postby heppolo » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:06 pm

Uk entry has got slightly better, but only just.
bottom ten for me so far:
1 (absolute worst) Iceland - 0/10, so 1988-1989 in a bad way
2 Moldova - 1/10, attempt at kitsch balkan pop gone horribly wrong
3 San Marino - 1/10, typical filler from them, but not even fun like the one with Serhat
4 Montenegro - 1/10, probably the first balkan ballad in the ESC I really don't like
5 Spain - 1/10, vanilla overload
6 Romania - 2/10. basic femle-fronted pop rock song
7 Malta - 2/10, it's a mess
8 United Kingdom - 3/10, very dated
9 Azerbaijan - 3/10, also rather dated, unispired and forgettable
10 Belarus - 3/10, too mellow, also reminiscent of several songs at once
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby SholasBoy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:17 pm

My favourites so far:

1 Cyprus
2 Spain
3 Armenia
4 Ukraine
5 Czech Republic
6 Finland
7 Belgium
8 Greece
9 Italy
10 Poland

Don't care that Cyprus is so basic, I might be bored of it within a few weeks, but love it at the minute, where as on the other hand I don't know why but all so suddenly I got bored of Finland.
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby nympho » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:29 pm

”Tu canción” final version

Music Video out this Friday
nympho
Superstar

Postby Mainshow » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:21 pm

This is my Top 10 so far:

#1 Belarus
#2 Estonia
#3 Hungary
#4 Azerbaijan
#5 Croatia
#6 Belgium
#7 Montenegro
#8 Finland
#9 Cyprus
#10 Greece

It's the perfect mix...like heppolo's bottom 10 and some favourite of SholasBoy combined ;)
#JUSTICE4ALEKSEEV
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:23 pm

They just released the music video 20 minutes ago.
It's the new and revamped version of the song.
#JUSTICE4ALEKSEEV
Mainshow
Legend

Postby trebor » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:25 pm

^^ Sven, no love for Denmark?
trebor
Legend

Postby heppolo » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:27 pm

Mainshow wrote:This is my Top 10 so far:

#1 Belarus
#2 Estonia
#3 Hungary
#4 Azerbaijan
#5 Croatia
#6 Belgium
#7 Montenegro
#8 Finland
#9 Cyprus
#10 Greece

It's the perfect mix...like heppolo's bottom 10 and some favourite of SholasBoy combined ;)
I am from Belarus and I really don't like our entry this year. Alekseev can barely sing live in English, the studio cut of the song is actually alright, but the live version put me off completely. Out of key, out of mind.
heppolo
Legend

Postby heppolo » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:35 pm

My top 10:
1. Denmark - 8/10 - this Disney Vikings-oriented musical aesthetic is too baffling, but I kinda like the vibe
2. France - 8/10 - the most radio-friendly and current song in the mix so far
3. Greece - 7/10 - great to finally hear an entry in Greek
4. Belgium - 7/10 - solid entry, a bit too Bond-esque, other than that I am fine with it
5. Armenia - 7/10 - great vocals
6. Portugal - 6/10 - Isaura's role as a backing vocalist is slightly off-putting, the song is a plato
7. Hungary - 6/10 - that post-hardcore music was relevant 5-6 yrs ago, on the plus side it's in Hungarian
8. Estonia - 6/10 - great vocal, no real song
9. Italy - 6/10 - a good message that sadly gets missed due to the forgettable nature of this song
10. Slovenia - 6/10 - leftfield bop with a drop, yet destined to flop
heppolo
Legend

Postby flopho » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:53 pm

I know I say this every damn year :lol: but I feel like this time it will actually stay that way.. this year is tragic so far imo. The only I ones I enjoy are France and Portugal (and I guess I'm a bit biased when it comes to the latter) + a few "nice" ones including Germany, Switzerland, Denmark, Spain and the Netherlands. Who knows, maybe they'll grow on me after watching some YT countdowns, just like every year :lol: Hoping for Sweden, Norway and Bulgaria to save this
While I like Portugal's song as it is, I think a small revamp wouldn't hurt, atm the "build-up" or whatever you call it takes too long in my opinion.
¡Eh, mamá!
Me quiero matar
El mundo se va a la mierda
Y no he hecho nada
flopho
Legend

Postby SholasBoy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:13 pm

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm actually getting on board with Storm after that :lol: they some how made it sound less like a nursery rhyme and more contemporary, SuRie has a great voice which we know she can do great things with live, maybe this isn't as bad as I first thought.
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby heppolo » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:51 pm

SholasBoy wrote:Can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm actually getting on board with Storm after that :lol: they some how made it sound less like a nursery rhyme and more contemporary, SuRie has a great voice which we know she can do great things with live, maybe this isn't as bad as I first thought.
she needs Annie Lennox to appear as her older self/doppelganger towards the climax of the song and the good result is in the bag :D
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:52 pm

heppolo wrote:I am from Belarus and I really don't like our entry this year. Alekseev can barely sing live in English, the studio cut of the song is actually alright, but the live version put me off completely. Out of key, out of mind.
That's also the reason why i don't like the Belarus entry. His live vocals are atrocious, it's as if he's singing the majority of the song one key lower than the backing track which makes for uncomfortable listening. :-?
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:53 pm

heppolo wrote:
SholasBoy wrote:Can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm actually getting on board with Storm after that :lol: they some how made it sound less like a nursery rhyme and more contemporary, SuRie has a great voice which we know she can do great things with live, maybe this isn't as bad as I first thought.
she needs Annie Lennox to appear as her older self/doppelganger towards the climax of the song and the good result is in the bag :D
:lol:

The UK would finish 19th instead of 20th. :P (actually i wouldn't be surprised if the UK end up lower)
JakeP
Manager

Postby heppolo » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:54 pm

JakeP wrote:
heppolo wrote:
:lol:

The UK would finish 19th instead of 20th. :P
Remember how Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber managed to put some disposable Disney musical song in the top 5 all by himself
heppolo
Legend

Postby greek_boy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:59 pm

Storm is currently charting at number 53 on UK itunes. Available on Spotify too.

Mainshow wrote:It seems that Ukraine will be forced to withdraw.
Today, thw EBu announced that the Ukrainian broadcaster needs to be shut down until April and therefore, it won't be able to broadcast the contest Oo

https://www.eurovisionary.com/will-ukra ... g-contest/
I guess somehow they will find a solution
greek_boy
Legend

Postby heppolo » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:06 pm

Sennek's funny :D
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:59 pm

heppolo wrote:Remember how Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber managed to put some disposable Disney musical song in the top 5 all by himself
I certainly do, but It's my time was a distinctive entry that year for its typically Lloyd Webber sound which helped the UK stand out.

The problem with Storm is that it's just there. This new revamped version just lacks any redeeming features and now that SuRie is singing the track in a lower key, that emphasises my lower levels of interest in the song.

I always think its a cop out when singers at eurovision perform their entries in a lower key, especially when i've got so used to the studio recording. :P
JakeP
Manager

Postby heppolo » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:16 pm

JakeP wrote:
heppolo wrote:Remember how Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber managed to put some disposable Disney musical song in the top 5 all by himself
I certainly do, but It's my time was a distinctive entry that year for its typically Lloyd Webber sound which helped the UK stand out.

The problem with Storm is that it's just there. This new revamped version just lacks any redeeming features and now that SuRie is singing the track in a lower key, that emphasises my lower levels of interest in the song.

I always think its a cop out when singers at eurovision perform their entries in a lower key, especially when i've got so used to the studio recording. :P
Damn, UK had a cracking entry 20 yrs ago (their last arguably good one to date). Dear quality, where are you now? :D
heppolo
Legend

Postby SholasBoy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:34 pm

That's a bit unfair, I'd say at the very least Children Of The Universe, Come Back and Never Give Up On You were better than Where Are You. I also liked Say It Again and Touch My Fire, but both were vocally poor on the night.
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby heppolo » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:37 pm

SholasBoy wrote:That's a bit unfair, I'd say at the very least Children Of The Universe, Come Back and Never Give Up On You were better than Where Are You. I also liked Say It Again and Touch My Fire, but both were vocally poor on the night.
Children Of The Universe was good in studio version.
Come Back and Never Give Up On You were relatively tame in studio version, but brilliant live.
Touch My Fire was a miss :D
Last edited by heppolo on Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heppolo
Legend

Postby greek_boy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:04 pm

SholasBoy wrote:That's a bit unfair, I'd say at the very least Children Of The Universe, Come Back and Never Give Up On You were better than Where Are You. I also liked Say It Again and Touch My Fire, but both were vocally poor on the night.
Where are you was TOP, amazing song!!

As you mentioned, the UK had very good entries in 2014, 2002 and of course 2017.

I liked 2011, 1999, 2001, 2005 but were poor on the night as you said!!
greek_boy
Legend

Postby RayRay » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:51 pm

Imaani, Where Are You... such a great song. Still today!
RayRay
Legend

Postby SeeForever » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:15 pm

RayRay wrote:Imaani, Where Are You... such a great song. Still today!
Agreed, surely one day we will send something this good to Eurovision again

Love the Belgian entry (like most years) lets hope she is much better singing live than Blanche, as that fab song would have been higher in the votes surely

So far love Belgium, Greece and France entries
RIP The Queen Of Disco
SeeForever
Legend

Postby SholasBoy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:24 pm

Where Are You has always just been ok for me, but then I've never really been a fan of Toni Braxton, so don't think I'm gonna stan for Toni-Lite :lol:
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Return to TV