Eurovision Song Contest 2018: Lisbon, Portugal, May 2018

Postby Mainshow » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:12 pm

Frederic wrote:^ It’s going to be Laura Groeseneken, a relatively unknown singer. Not too impressed at the moment.
Mmh. Blanche was kinda unknown too right? But her song was amazing. I think we just have to wait and see.. Anyway, after Belgium ended up being Top 10 three consecutive times, I was hoping for a bigger name to be interested though.

#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Frederic » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:19 pm

Same here! She does kinda look like a Blanche copy.
Frederic
Good Boy Gone Bad

Postby Mainshow » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:25 pm

Frederic wrote:Same here! She does kinda look like a Blanche copy.
But they have completely different voices and it seems that Laura is going after a "touching ballad". I expect something like the Czech entry 2017 tbh.
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Colbie » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:41 am

A Blanche copy indeed, but she doenst seem so shy and on the verge of crying like Blanche did :lol:

Hopefully it will be a good ballad!
Mic Mic Bungee
Colbie
Superstar

Postby Bojan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:49 am

Frederic wrote:Slovenia will apparently introduce a Slovenian-only rule for their national final next year. Woo!
That should be Eurovision rule. This has no sense anymore.
Bojan
Manager

Postby Mainshow » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:08 pm

Surprising and worrying mews! Today, MTV - Hungary's broadcaster - has declined the country's confirmation putting its participation in danger.

This is shocking because Hungary always reached the finals since its return in 2011 and this year, they even managed to enter the Top 10.

Oo
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:19 pm

Israel has confirmed its participation!

I am so happy and that was unexpected and kinda unlikely because the old broadcaster got shut down and Israel just had to come up with a totally new broadcaster and apply for EBU membership etc.

I am glad everything worked out!

Hungary needs to be next!
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Colbie » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:31 pm

^ Great news!

Also hope Hungary will be next! They have send some realy good entries the last years!
Mic Mic Bungee
Colbie
Superstar

Postby Mainshow » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:19 pm

I thought it would be a nice idea to gather all news from last week together:

Belgium was the first country to announce its entrant. Laura Groeseneken will represent the country which ended up being Top 10 three consecutive times.
Yesterday the singer announced that she will perform a song in English.

Albania confirmed its participation two days ago and already asked artists to submit entries to Festivali i Këngës, the country's own national preselection.

Despite having scored its worst result ever while hosting Eurovision this year (#24), Ukraine sticks to its preselection and announced that they will - once again - organise a national final titled Vidbir to find their entry.

Israel surprisingly confirmed its participation despite facing internal problems.

Greece only allows songs performed in Greek to be submitted to its national broadcaster. Is Greece aiming to go traditional for ESC 2018?

UK hasn't learnt a single will and is about to select its entry the same they like they did in 2016 and 2017. Oh gosh, BBC is so freaking lost.

39 countries have confirmed their participation so far. The only countries still to confirm are FYR Macedonia, Moldova, Hungary and San Marino.
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby SholasBoy » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:08 am

I have a feeling Kazakhstan will make its debut next year!
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby Mainshow » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:13 pm

Colbie wrote:^ Great news!

Also hope Hungary will be next! They have send some realy good entries the last years!
Yes! Hungary finally confirmed its participation ♡

https://eurovoix.com/2017/10/09/hungary ... sion-2018/
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:46 pm

SholasBoy wrote:I have a feeling Kazakhstan will make its debut next year!
I hope you are right. That would be a very interesting addition to the contest.

-------------

Meanwhile,

Serbia will hold an edition of Beovizija (their national final preselection) after a 9 year absence! It seems they will go back to the Serbian language as well!
Thank you, Salvador!
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:33 pm

On 17th October, San Marino will make an official announcement during a press conference whether the country will participate in Eurovision or not.

Honestly, I am tired of this country based on the arrogant comment made by its head of delegation. He said that micro states have no chance because Eurovision favors bigger countries.
I won't deny that countries such as Sweden, Ukraine and Russia have higher chances to qualify due to several factors but people should not forget that it's all about songs and performances.
If San Marino continues submitting old-fashioned and utterly horrendous and trashy entries written and composed by someone like Ralph Siegel who has no idea what a good song sounds like for more than 20 years, they have no right to mourn about not qualifying and blaming it on Europe hating on San Marino.

If they try something new or send a quality entry instead, I'd be deliriously happy if they stick to Eurovision but I don't like countries complaining about everything like Turkey and San Marino (and sometimes Russia and Sweden, UK and Germany) while they just need to be less arrogant and face it that other people in Europe can sing and perform as well.
Last edited by Mainshow on Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby flopho » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:47 pm

couldn't agree more with you, i can't at them thinking it's about their size when they come up with Siegel and stuff like Chain of Lights :lol:
this whole "ugh we always do bad cause they don't like us mimimi" thing is so tiring, Germans said the same and then Lena happened.
Shame on me for changing...no, shame on you for staying the same
flopho
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:01 pm

flopho wrote:couldn't agree more with you, i can't at them thinking it's about their size when they come up with Siegel and stuff like Chain of Lights :lol:
this whole "ugh we always do bad cause they don't like us mimimi" thing is so tiring, Germans said the same and then Lena happened.
I am glad we agree on this and you are right, German people used to complain about Eurovision a lot and in the end we ended uo being Top 10 three consecutive times including a victory in the last 8 years.

Meanwhile, San Marino just announced they have a revolutionary idea for Eurovision/San Marino's participation and theu can't wait to present it during thay press conference.

I am officially scared.
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby SholasBoy » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:03 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Can't wait!!!

For San Marino, revolutionary will be something that's about 10 years out of date rather than 20 :lol:
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby Frederic » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:19 pm

Valentina Monetta featuring Serhat maybe? Either way it should be her because she’s the only singer in San Marino.
Frederic
Good Boy Gone Bad

Postby Mainshow » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:46 pm

San Marino will hold an international casting/preselection.
It doesn't matter how old or from which country you're from.

Hopefully, the winner doesn't have to sing anything composed by Ralph Siegel 20 years ago xD

https://www.1in360.com/how-it-works

Several live Shows will be broadcast online and people all around the world will be able to vote. The winner will get a record deal and San Marino will record an album with them!
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby RayRay » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:06 pm

From which date will we hear the first new songs?
RayRay
Superstar

Postby Mainshow » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:11 am

RayRay wrote:From which date will we hear the first new songs?
Actually, it dependa on the year. In 2015, we got the final version of the Dutch entry in October... but usually, the first entries are about to be selected in December/January. Albania is usually the first but they record the final version quite late and sometimes even change the arrangement, melody, language or thr whole track. Malta did the dame in 2016... So I'd say that we will start to get to know the final entried from January to March while we will get the first "demo"/unrevamped versions in December.
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:36 pm

Montenegro will hold its first own national final next year to determine their entrant/entry. - Good news!

You can take part and help Latvia find its entry. 63 songs have been uploaded on this page:
https://supernova.lsm.lv/lv/tautas-balsojums/
You can listen to the songs and vote for your favourite! One of these tracks will represent Latvia in Portugal!
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:34 pm

RTP, the Portugues broadcaster just announced that a total of 43 countries will participate in Lisbon next year! - This matches the records of 2009 and 2011.

Now I really wished they would have invited Kazakhstan or Kosovo or made some effort to bring back Andorra (since Portugal is so effing close).

Anyway, this means that Russia as well as Moldova and FYR Macedonia are confirmed now as well!
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:08 am

It seems that FYR Macedonia has to face the same faith like Romania 2016.
The EBU just blocked Macedonia's participation due to unpaid bills.

As a result of non-payment of debt, FYROM’s public service broadcaster Macedonian Radio Television (MRT) currently does not have access to the EBU’s Member services, including the Eurovision News and Sports News Exchanges, the right to broadcast specific sporting events, legal, technical and research expertise and lobbying services. MRT will also not participate in the 2018 Eurovision Song Contest as things stand but will continue to take part in the Junior Eurovision Song Contest in November.
http://esctoday.com/151444/fyr-macedoni ... icipation/

At least, the EBU announced it before MRT bothered to chose an entry (unlike Romania 2016. Poor Ovi! Romania was kicked out like 2/3 weeks before the event).
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Colbie » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:45 am

^ They shouldve done it like this in 2016 with Romania. Not just 2/3 weeks before the contest. Glad they learned from it!
Mic Mic Bungee
Colbie
Superstar

Postby Mainshow » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:22 am

Colbie wrote:^ They shouldve done it like this in 2016 with Romania. Not just 2/3 weeks before the contest. Glad they learned from it!
I agree. I still feel sad for Ovi. I mean, he won the right to represent his country in Eurovision and was just about to fly in for the rehearsals. It still feels unfair.

Its quite "funny" that there has been a "43 countries are confirmed" curse for three years in a row now:

2016: Romania was originally confirmed to take part and Ovidiu was ready to represent his country with the entry "Moment of Silence". On 22nd April, the EBU blocked Romania's participation because the country refused to pay bills.

2017: Russia "intended" to submit an entry to Kyiv but broke Ukrainian laws by willingly choosing someone who entered the annexed island of Crimea. Ukraine asked Russia to change its entrant but the country refused and withdrew in the end.

2018: FYR Macedonia wants to take part but the EBU is blocking its participation right now due to the same reasons like Romania 2016. It's highly unlikely the country will take part.

In all three cases the preliminary confirmed countries of 43 have been brought to 42.
#curse
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Return to TV