Should American Idol return?

Yes
17%
No
83%

Total votes : 29

Postby Wayne » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:35 pm

'American Idol' May Be Delayed, and That Causes Problems with Katy Perry

"American Idol" has backed itself into a corner, because it might need to delay taping until it lands more judges ... but that doesn't work for the only judge it's got so far -- Katy Perry.

Our 'Idol' sources tell us ... Thursday is the last stop for the show's tour bus auditions, and it's just weeks away from the planned taped auditions with the judges. Problem is -- producers are no closer to locking down stars to join Katy on the panel.

So the dilemma is simple and serious -- if the show's forced to postpone filming, it will likely conflict with Perry's Witness tour schedule producers worked so hard to accommodate in the first place.

Adding to the dilemma ... 'A.I.' still hasn't signed desired judge #2, Luke Bryan. We're told he wants more money, and the Disney perks he was offered instead of cash didn't cut it. 'Idol's' no closer to landing the 3rd judge.

Our sources say everything's still up in the air -- not a good place to be for a legendary show trying to make a triumphant return to TV.

Source: TMZ
So basically, a month has passed and they are still in no better position.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby joiPrince_JO » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:29 am

Why are they even doing this? Wasn't American Idol originally cancelled because no one was watching it anymore?
Girls' Generation
HyoYeonBritney Spears

Girls' Generation is the best-selling girl group of all time.
joiPrince_JO
Legend

Postby menime123 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:36 am

There’s plenty of people to be judges. Just ask Mel B and Kelly Rowland - both experienced and will almost definitely be up for it.
Girls Aloud: only 4 years left of my decade long signature countdown to my dream 20th anniversary reunion tour...
menime123
Legend

Postby spiritboy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:06 am

Poor Katy. Nothing goes well for her this era.
spiritboy
Legend

Postby NoAngel » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:48 pm

Ask JLo. Maybe she's available around 4 in the morning :lol:
B. get off my pole!
NoAngel
Superstar

Postby GetBack » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:50 pm

It's a canceled show, it's no surprise that no one is on board. :-? :-?

They should really change the format if they want to survive, people barely watch TV anymore.
GetBack
Legend

Postby Wayne » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:32 pm

Judges confirmed to be Katy Perry, Luke Bryan and Lionel Richie.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby BlueScorpion » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:45 pm

I wonder if Lionel Richie asked for Mariah's advice on their tour and what Mariah might have told him. :lol:
"Side effects be drowsiness / Loneliness / How is this? / I think they call it hateration / What can you prescribe for this?"
BlueScorpion
Superstar

Postby GetBack » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:56 am

Mariah was the worst judge ever, to think that she was the vocal template of these kinds of shows, she gave the most impersonal advice and contributions. Her 2008 mentoring episode of Idol was much better.
GetBack
Legend

Postby Nippian93 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:34 pm

❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby Nippian93 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:31 pm

❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby Nippian93 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:22 pm

❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby Nippian93 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:30 pm

❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby Jerz » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:25 am

Revamped ‘American Idol’ trounced by 'The Voice,' pressure grows to save 'museum piece' from 'also ran' graveyard
ABC’s revamped “American Idol” was drubbed by NBC’s “The Voice” on Monday night during their first head-to-head match up, putting pressure on ABC President Ben Sherwood to right the ship before it starts sinking further.

“The Voice” picked up 11.7 million viewers and a 2.3 rating among adults ages 18-49 to thump the 8.4 million viewers and a 1.8 demo rating that “Idol” picked up, according to Entertainment Weekly. Both singing competitions aired from 8-10 p.m.

The reboot’s Sunday night debut was down 23 percent compared to the premiere episode of the final season on Fox, according to TheWrap. Monday’s episode of “Idol” also dropped 22 percent compared to Sunday’s premiere.

Syracuse communications professor and “pop culture ambassador” Robert Thompson has appeared on countless programs to analyze television and media. He thinks it’s too early to call the revamped “Idol” a debacle, but acknowledges that ABC should get worried if viewership continues to trend downward. He called it an “alarming sign” that the show lost such a large number of viewers from the premiere to the second episode amid a lavish promotional campaign by ABC.

"['American Idol' was] what everyone was talking about for almost a decade but there is a sense now that it’s a little bit of a museum piece” - Robert Thompson, Syracuse communications professor

“It’s disturbing for the people at ‘American Idol’ to see the ratings go down from episode 1 to episode 2. It’s not a good sign. That’s cause for concern by everyone involved in the show,” Thompson told Fox News. “There may be a point where ‘American Idol’ starts getting dubbed as the old-fashioned, has been, also-ran show when you’ve got programs like ‘The Voice’ that are doing much better.”

ABC spent big bucks to revamp the show, which originally aired on Fox, but the show has already been plagued with negative attention, as stars Katy Perry and Ryan Seacrest have been caught up in headline-grabbing scandals.

The original “Idol” turned Seacrest into a superstar, but the ABC host has been dogged by accusations of sexual harassment leveled by his former stylist for “E! News.” Seacrest has denied all allegations.

Perry, a Hillary Clinton crony-turned-judge, is mired in an ongoing battle over a property that has pitted the “Roar” pop star against a group of nuns. Two days before the highly promoted return of “Idol,” an 89-year-old nun involved in the lawsuit collapsed in a courtroom and died hours after a heartfelt appeal to Perry.

Perry’s status on the show was risky for Disney before the legal battle with the religious community of women, as she is being rewarded with a $25 million salary by Sherwood – who reportedly personally signed off on the inflated wage.

“Ben Sherwood blew the budget on Katy without thinking how that would impact other areas of the show budget. He gambled on her because of her appeal to a younger audience and huge social-media following,” an ABC source told the New York Post last year.

Thompson said that if the revamped “Idol” ultimately “crashes and burns” and is simply a “very expensive, one season experiment” then someone from ABC will be held accountable.
Thompson echoed many fans of the original version by noting that the show needs chemistry and excitement among judges and interesting contestants to succeed. He explained that “Idol” could outperform the majority of programs on ABC, but the network’s accountant will ultimately decide if it was a wise decision to open the vault for its high-paid cast.

“What brought people in the first place was Simon Cowell’s meanness. That was something new, it was different. It wore out after a while but… I don’t get a sense, yet, that the three they’ve got now are a magical combination in the very first casting,” he said. “What they need is a whole bunch of Sanjayas.”

While Simon was mean, Perry may simply be awkward. One contestant has already been made “uncomfortable” when Perry surprisingly kissed him on the lips.

“I wanted my first kiss to be special,” contestant Benjamin Glaze told The New York Times.

During its long run, "American Idol" launched the careers of superstars Carrie Underwood, Kelly Clarkson, Jennifer Hudson, Katharine McPhee, Jordin Sparks, Adam Lambert and Chris Daughtry, among others.

Sherwood and his ABC colleagues have to hope that the refurbished edition produces similar results before it’s too late.

Source: Fox News
I think we need to improve on American Idol ratings much better for the next episodes.
Jerz
Personal Assistant

Postby spiritboy » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:33 am

Without bad auditions/freak shows, these shows are boring imo.
spiritboy
Legend

Postby DnBLover » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:11 am

The Voice is a thousand times better than any other format on TV
I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room
DnBLover
Legend

Postby KEY9481 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:09 pm

DnBLover wrote:The Voice is a thousand times better than any other format on TV
But after a few years, it's just not even interesting anymore.
5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018
KEY9481
Manager

Postby BehindBreakaway » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:38 pm

KEY9481 wrote:
DnBLover wrote:The Voice is a thousand times better than any other format on TV
But after a few years, it's just not even interesting anymore.
Personally I feel since Kelly joined its improved. The ratings have improved as well.
3 months and I'm still sober, picked all my weeds but kept the flowers!
BehindBreakaway
Manager

Postby Thriller » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:52 am

Amazon Prime will air the new season in the UK.
Thriller

Postby Wayne » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:34 pm

I've watched a few performances and I just cringe at Katy - the random kissing, the dancing...awful.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby GetBack » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:37 pm

Love the show! :D :D

The Voice is getting so boring now! :roll: :roll: :roll:
GetBack
Legend

Postby Jerz » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:45 pm

Embarrassment for ABC as ‘American Idol’ reboot tanks amid Katy Perry nun dispute, Ryan Seacrest sex scandal

In a major embarrassment for ABC, the network's hugely expensive revamp of “American Idol” got clobbered by NBC’s “The Voice” on Monday, and lost even more viewers in the process.

The disastrous ratings come as ABC appears to be “hiding” "Idol" emcee Ryan Seacrest, whose choirboy reputation has been battered by allegations of sexual misconduct.

At the same time, the show’s superstar judge, Katy Perry, is battling poor publicity of her own, arising from a legal battle with some elderly nuns over a convent Perry wants to convert into a luxury estate. One nun, 89, recently collapsed in court and subsequently died after begging, “Katy Perry, please stop.” A second nun, 80, says the contretemps with Perry has left her broke.

“Idol” drew 7.7 million viewers on Monday night, while “The Voice” picked up 10.7 million to win the night in a landslide. “Idol” also dropped about 11 percent compared with last week, when the competitions aired head-to-head for the first time.

The success or failure of "Idol" is considered make-or-break for ABC boss Ben Sherwood, the beleaguered co-chairman of the Disney ABC Television Group. Sherwood, whose tenure has been beset by poor ratings at ABC TV and Disney's cable networks, “blew the budget” on Perry’s astronomical $25 million dollar paycheck, according to the New York Post.

“If ‘Idol’ doesn’t work, it will blow up big time in Sherwood’s face,” an ABC source told the Post.

Amid its other problems, ABC’s version of “Idol” is being criticized as “fakey” and “Disneyfied” -- lacking the judges’ withering criticism of weak contestants that was a hallmark of the showcase’s previous iteration.
The second Sunday edition of “Idol” — which aired this past Sunday — drew 7.7 million viewers and a 1.8 rating among the key demo of adults 18-49, down 26 percent and 24 percent from the premiere, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Syracuse communications professor and “pop culture ambassador” Robert Thompson told Fox News last week that ABC executives should worry if the show continues to lose viewers at an alarming rate, as someone will be held accountable if the “Idol” revival project turns into a “very expensive, one-season experiment.”

"There’s nothing cute about how inappropriate Katy Perry is with the male contestants" - Frustrated "Idol" viewer

Through it all, Disney's spin machine appears to be turned up. Some publications attributed Sunday’s ratings drop to the NCAA Tournament, while others claimed that ABC should be happy despite lackluster ratings simply because it’s doing better than other ABC content, which has struggled badly of late. ABC’s press release even touted “Idol” for tying “The Voice” among “female teens” between the ages of 12-17 on Monday night.

The original “Idol” turned Seacrest into a superstar, but fans have noticed that his role on the revised version appears to have been reduced amid sexual harassment allegations leveled by his former stylist for “E! News.” Seacrest seems to be taking a backseat to the judges, specifically '80s pop icon Lionel Richie and country music good guy Luke Bryan.

Seacrest has vehemently denied the accusations against him, but the specifics may be hard for some viewers to ignore. Seacrest’s accuser, Suzy Hardy, has publicly come forward, accusing the star of grinding his erect penis against her while clad only in underwear, grabbing her vagina and slapping her bottom with such force that she had a large, visible welt for hours.

ABC insiders pushed back to Fox News at suggestions the network is “hiding” Seacrest, saying the episodes have not been edited to cut Seacrest’s airtime and he is hosting the show and filming as scheduled. The network sources say that Seacrest will have a more prominent role when live installments kick off in late April, as audition rounds were shot while he was busy with other projects.

Seacrest aside, the noise over Perry’s enormous $25 million salary may be proving a serious distraction. The “Roar” singer, who alienated some fans in 2016 with her aggressive campaigning for Hillary Clinton, also upset some viewers last week when she tricked an unsuspecting male contestant into kissing her on the lips. The contestant later told The New York Times that the “Idol” judge made him feel uncomfortable because he is a staunch conservative and wanted his first kiss to be special.

The Washington Post noted that the scene felt “out of place in the #MeToo era,” but that didn’t stop Perry’s flirtatious behavior. She often teases male contestants with sexual innuendo and playful comments that producers appear to have played up during post- production.

“’Idol’ producers and the network seem excited to treat Perry’s shtick as a joke,” The Post’s Emily Yahr wrote before asking, “Same with the contestants — but then, do they really have a choice?”

USA Today published a piece on Tuesday headlined, “Katy Perry is dragging down ‘American Idol,’” that notes “it's clear that the pop star's vibe is just wrong for the show.”

“There’s nothing cute about how inappropriate Katy Perry is with the male contestants,” a frustrated viewer wrote on Twitter, while another added, “Perry really needs to tone it down and fast if this show is to survive. She acts more like it’s a dating site.”

Source: Fox News
I felt disappointment again that American Idol was down again from The Voice. :( The Voice still won in the second head-to-head ratings battle on Monday. We need to improve more ratings of American Idol for coming of weeks so that it will not embarassed.
Jerz
Personal Assistant

Postby Thriller » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:37 pm

They need to realised Idol is dead and has been since like 2012.
Thriller

Postby BehindBreakaway » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:57 pm

Thriller wrote:They need to realised Idol is dead and has been since like 2012.
I agree. I'm actually so happy the voice is beating it.
3 months and I'm still sober, picked all my weeds but kept the flowers!
BehindBreakaway
Manager

Return to TV