FEUD: Bette And Joan

Moderators: Spartan, menime123

Postby menime123 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:33 pm

spiritboy wrote:Both actresses were much better than Nicole Kidman in BLL. They were basically robbed.
Especially as BLL is no longer a mini-series and is getting season 2.
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby Benny » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:26 pm

spiritboy wrote:Both actresses were much better than Nicole Kidman in BLL. They were basically robbed.
Agree 100%!
Benny
Legend

Postby GetBack » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:18 am

This is too overrated, Ryan Murphy is just too campy. It's just sad that Joan is always perceived as a bitch, it's as if her personality was bigger than the material offered to her during the golden age of cinema. :cry: :cry: :cry:
GetBack
Legend

Postby menime123 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:52 pm

GetBack wrote:This is too overrated, Ryan Murphy is just too campy. It's just sad that Joan is always perceived as a bitch, it's as if her personality was bigger than the material offered to her during the golden age of cinema. :cry: :cry: :cry:
That’s not my take on it at all.

This mini-series is not so much about the feud, but the story of how the movie industry uses women in their prime, then throws them out once they hit a certain age.

The first few episodes about Baby Jane are fun, but the later episodes are heartbreaking to watch because you can see how much Joan fought for her right to a career in later life.

Some of the individual scenes are heartbreaking and speak volumes on how ageist Hollywood can be. Joan didn’t want to stop working. She didn’t want to fade away. She wanted to continue making successful movies, receive critical acclaim and continue being the star she had always been.

The show doesn’t touch upon it too much, but Joan was a star of the silent movie era and one of the few who successfully managed to find bigger stardom in the ‘talkies’. She was a movie star before talent was a requirement, and an even bigger star once she proved she also had talent in the talkies.

What the show highlights wonderfully is Joan’s frustration at an industry that knows she can act, but just isn’t interested because she got older. If she had to be a bitch in order to stand her ground, then I’m all for that - it’s better to be a bitch who wants something, rather than being a bitch because that’s who you are.

Once I’d finished the show I rewatched Baby Jane and I think both give one hell of a performance, and I’m not sure it was fair to nominate one and not the other (a studio decision probably). What I found interesting is that this clearly isn’t Bette’s best performance, but it might be Joan’s.
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby joiPrince_JO » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:08 pm

Joan's entire career and success in general is very underrated. People tend to forget what a humongous star she actually was.
Girls' Generation
HyoYeonBritney Spears

Girls' Generation is the best-selling girl group of all time.
joiPrince_JO
Legend

Postby menime123 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:19 pm

joiPrince_JO wrote:Joan's entire career and success in general is very underrated. People tend to forget what a humongous star she actually was.
Well she’s regularly in the top 10 lists of all time actresses... well, of that time period anyway. I think her daughter did a lot of damage though.
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby spiritboy » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:04 am

Which celebrity feud should be next if there'll be another season?
Mariah saved Xmas and Gaga is saving Pop and Hollywood.
spiritboy
Legend

Postby Spartan » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:07 am

I read it was Charles and Diana, with Sarah Paulson playing all leading characters.
Spartan
Legend

Postby menime123 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:35 pm

Yes, it’s about Charles, Diana and Camilla. I’ll be honest, I can’t see it being as good.
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby BehindBreakaway » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:55 am

menime123 wrote:Yes, it’s about Charles, Diana and Camilla. I’ll be honest, I can’t see it being as good.
Ditto!
3 months and I'm still sober, picked all my weeds but kept the flowers!
BehindBreakaway
Manager

Postby menime123 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:55 am

Season 3 should be Perry vs Swift. Their fan bases would be livid :lol:
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby joiPrince_JO » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:59 am

Ryan Murphy said that he's focusing on other projects now, so I doubt there will even be a second season.
Girls' Generation
HyoYeonBritney Spears

joiPrince_JO
Legend

Postby menime123 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:08 am

joiPrince_JO wrote:Ryan Murphy said that he's focusing on other projects now, so I doubt there will even be a second season.
It’s been commissioned for 10 episodes. It’s definitely happening. Though I wouldn’t be surprised if he steps away from it - after all, rumour has it he’s blagged Barbra Streisand to star in his next new project.
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby Colbie » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:12 am

menime123 wrote:Season 3 should be Perry vs Swift. Their fan bases would be livid :lol:
I would love this! :lol:
Colbie
Superstar

Postby joiPrince_JO » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:23 am

menime123 wrote:
joiPrince_JO wrote:Ryan Murphy said that he's focusing on other projects now, so I doubt there will even be a second season.
It’s been commissioned for 10 episodes. It’s definitely happening. Though I wouldn’t be surprised if he steps away from it - after all, rumour has it he’s blagged Barbra Streisand to star in his next new project.
As for Feud season two, which is expected to on the royal row between Princess Diana and Prince Charles, Murphy says he's still "talking about it" with Fox.

"We're still deciding it. I have the new Netflix deal and I have all my shows with Fox, I don't want to do something unless the scripts are ready and the casts are ready. I'm taking my time and just trying to get everything right," he explained.
http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/american-c ... hy-update/
Girls' Generation
HyoYeonBritney Spears

joiPrince_JO
Legend

Postby BehindBreakaway » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:11 pm

Colbie wrote:
menime123 wrote:Season 3 should be Perry vs Swift. Their fan bases would be livid :lol:
I would love this! :lol:
Um no. It should be about Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie. Just saying :P
BehindBreakaway
Manager

Postby Spartan » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:24 pm

I think some people would find Diana vs Charles quite distasteful maybe.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Odyssey » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:16 pm

This should get canceled, Bette and Joan was pure disaster. I thought this would be great show, an opportunity to tell the truth about these two Icons for the first time. Instead we got well known tabloid based rubbish that further damaged these ladies reputation. No wonder Olivia De Havilland sued them.
Odyssey
Manager

Postby beredy » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:07 pm

^This was amazing TV. It was never supposed to be a documentary LOL.
beredy
Manager

Postby menime123 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:58 pm

Odyssey wrote:This should get canceled, Bette and Joan was pure disaster. I thought this would be great show, an opportunity to tell the truth about these two Icons for the first time. Instead we got well known tabloid based rubbish that further damaged these ladies reputation. No wonder Olivia De Havilland sued them.
She tried. She lost.
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby BehindBreakaway » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:45 pm

menime123 wrote:
Odyssey wrote:This should get canceled, Bette and Joan was pure disaster. I thought this would be great show, an opportunity to tell the truth about these two Icons for the first time. Instead we got well known tabloid based rubbish that further damaged these ladies reputation. No wonder Olivia De Havilland sued them.
She tried. She lost.
beredy wrote:^This was amazing TV. It was never supposed to be a documentary LOL.
BehindBreakaway
Manager

Postby Odyssey » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:25 pm

Olivia De Havilland lawsuit is currently under review in Supreme Court of California.
You obviously missed my point about this show and I don't have desire to go further into explaining.
If someone made a tv show about Beyonce for example, based entirely on tabloid lies you all would suffer multiple meltdowns and called for creators to be lynched.
Odyssey
Manager

Postby menime123 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:01 pm

Odyssey wrote:Olivia De Havilland lawsuit is currently under review in Supreme Court of California.
You obviously missed my point about this show and I don't have desire to go further into explaining.
If someone made a tv show about Beyonce for example, based entirely on tabloid lies you all would suffer multiple meltdowns and called for creators to be lynched.
As a fan of both Bette and Joan I think it was absolutely fine. Nothing in it is untrue or simply not already part of their legend.

Olivia’s case was thrown out of court.
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby Benny » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:18 pm

Ryan Murphy update: Charles/Diana 'Feud' off for now; new Katrina 'ACS' scripts in at FX

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. — The continuing relationship between TV super-producer Ryan Murphy and his longtime favored TV home, FX, is complicated these days.

As Murphy moves into his $300 million mega-deal at Netflix, he can continue to make new seasons of existing FX shows produced under his now-expired deal at sister studio 20th Century Fox Television, including "American Horror Story," "American Crime Story," "Feud" and "Pose," but his new ideas go to the streaming service.

FX Networks CEO John Landgraf provided an update on Murphy projects at the Television Critics Association summer press tour on Friday.

The bad news is that a planned second season of "Feud" focusing on the royal marriage of Charles and Diana is off, at least temporarily.

"We put it in abeyance right now. We're not moving forward at the moment," said Landgraf, who said the decision wasn't affected by Netflix's "The Crown," which will include those characters in Season 3. "'The Crown' is told from the point of view of the royal family and this was going to be equally told from the point of view of somebody coming into that family. Ultimately, we just couldn't get the material to the place we wanted it."

As for the future of "Feud," which opened with the critically acclaimed battle between Bette Davis and Joan Crawford, "I'd say if you asked Ryan, he'd still say it's an active series and he's still developing and intending to do further cycles, but he hasn't told me this is the cycle and this is when I'm doing it," Landgraf said.

He said new scripts based on a Sheri Fink's book, "Five Days at Memorial: Life and Death in a Storm-Ravaged Hospital," have been written for a long-delayed season of "American Crime Story" focusing on the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, but there is no production timetable. The Katrina story initially was meant to be the second season of "Crime Story," but "The Assassination of Gianni Versace" took its place last year.

On the Katrina season, "We sort of went back to Square One. Writers have been adapting that book and my understanding is (producers have) seen scripts, but they haven't given them to me yet," he said.

Although Murphy has said he's dropped plans for another "Crime Story" season that was to focus on the Clinton-Lewinsky relationship and scandal, Landgraf wasn't ready to say it's dead.

"It's been on again, off again, on again. I think it's off again right now. I can't tell you that means it's off again permanently," Landgraf said. "I think between (Ryan) and (executive producers) Nina Jacobson and Brad Simpson, they keep actively talking about it. I think they feel they have really good source material, but it's very complicated material to adapt and get right. So, I wouldn't be surprised to hear it was on again, but I think right now it's off."

Future seasons of "ACS" and "Feud" are dependent on the availability of quality material and Murphy's schedule, Landgraf said. "So, I think there will be more cycles, but I'm not really in control of when they are."

But there's good news for fans of Murphy's FX offerings, too. Viewers can expect more "American Horror Story," which returns for Season 8's "Apocalypse" on Sept. 12 (10 EDT/PDT), and "Pose," which recently completed its first season and has been renewed for a second.

Murphy "wants to do more ('AHS'). We've already ordered two more (seasons), so there will be a minimum of 10," Landgraf said.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2 ... 900669002/
Benny
Legend

Postby Spartan » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:32 pm

I’m glad they’re not doing the Diana/Charles one.
Spartan
Legend

Return to TV