The X Factor 2017

Postby MusicRecords » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:32 pm

Graham76man wrote:The most positive thing about this year is the allowing and increased use of contestants own songs. If that continues in the live shows then it will great for music. Of course it will be hard on those who don't write their own material, but that is the way that things are shaping up in the music industry these days.
They could give each contestant a set of composer and songwriter to help but maybe thats too expensive
MusicRecords
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:16 pm

Thriller wrote:Last year had Saara Alto, I can't see myself rooting for anyone like that this year.
True! :lol: But even for me it wasn't until disco week that Saara really won me over. :oops:

Graham76man wrote:The most positive thing about this year is the allowing and increased use of contestants own songs. If that continues in the live shows then it will great for music. Of course it will be hard on those who don't write their own material, but that is the way that things are shaping up in the music industry these days.
This is where i think the show has fallen behind.

I remember Fame academy years ago which was like a rival show, and then Sky 1 had Must be the music. Those shows encouraged songwriting from the contestants. The x factor has always been glorified karaoke but the standard isn't anywhere near as good as it used to be, and i think that's why the most recent winners have struggled with chart success.
JakeP
Manager

Postby Graham76man » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:21 pm

"Glorified Karaoke" sums up the X-Factor very well. We have seen good singers struggle and as a result voted out due to the likes of "disco week". Pick the wrong song choice and the vote falls off. The winner has to sing, more often than not, a terrible cover version, which often doesn't suit them.

If this series the likes of Grace win and she has been singing her own songs, then X-Factor will have truly found pure talent. But if they force her and the rest to sing other people's songs for the sake of entertainment purposes, as they did with other contestants in previous series. Then X-Factor should be scrapped and replaced as a tired entertainment show that has had it's day.
Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!
Graham76man
Manager

Postby Graham76man » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:38 pm

Sharon picked the ones I would have picked. So glad she didn't listen to Kelly about Grace :wink: :-?

Nicole messed up slightly. I would not have picked the plasterer. She should have gone with the girl from the airport. The guy with the guitar I would have picked. Then I was sort of torn with the rest. The Lady in red :o Those boobs :o :o The crutch area of that dress didn't leave much to the imagination either :wink: The only thing is that she sings a bit like a cross between Donald Duck and Amy Winehouse! However she has a great personality and didn't stuff up like Berget did. Had she not done that, I think she would have gone through.

So Anthony has gone for personal reasons. But of course Louis picked someone else and not Benji :roll:
Graham76man
Manager

Postby Thriller » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:48 pm

OVERS
Kevin is talented but so dull! Why did Berget choose that song, she should've done a total diva track and just killed it, I can understand why she didn't make it. Slavko cannot sing and isn't the slightest bit entertaining - glad he got the chop. Matt Cardle, sorry, Linnen is like a more boring Chris Martin. I think Talia could have been very good with the right song choices. Tracy-Leanne is like Rachel Hylton from 2008 - good jazz/soul performer but absolutely no star quality; I like her though.

GIRLS
Holly was very good, love the control and maturity in her voice. Raelle really smashed her performance and she's current, I just hope they don't make her do a rap every week. Asian girl is just pure karaoke and her desperation is off-putting; were her family going to kill her if she didn't get through?! Grace had her weakest showing there but she's still the best contestant. I loved Deanna, so classy and looks every inch the star; gutted she left. I didn't find Georgina likeable and her voice isn't always pleasant so I'm glad she went.

GROUPS
The Cutkelvins could do very well this year, they could easily have a hit with the right song in today's climate. The girls who sang Praise You were definitely the stronger girl group vocally. So transparent of Simon to force an act to sing Labrinth's new flop! Jack & Joel disappointed me a little but there was lots of potential with the right songs. Rak-Su were really tight, what was the song they sang? The Price brothers are quite dull and force the inflections too much, annoyed they went in ahead of J&J!

BOYS
Where did Louis dredge Mika from!? Aidan doesn't do anything for me, he's musical theatre. I really can't take to Sam and still begrudge him being there! I don't think there's anything authentic about him. Leon had no star quality, he's just like a faceless dance vocalist. Glasses boy was Che Chesterman 2. Spencer has a nice tone and the look but needs to sing stronger songs to stand out. Lloyd would probably sell an album of musical covers but he's too pigeonholed for this show.

The boys and overs are the weakest categories, the girls and groups strongest. I'm only really rooting for Grace, Cutkelvins and Raelle the most.
Thriller

Postby Thriller » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:53 pm

Oh but wait, the wildcards!

It should be:

Berget
Deanna
Jack & Joel
Aidan

To be honest let us have two more groups and sack off another boy!
Thriller

Postby Graham76man » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:21 pm

I disagree totally on Jack and Joel. The group who has to in is Lemonade. As for the other girl group, they can't even agree on a name, so Simon was right about them being a bunch of solo singers joined up to form a group.
I think the public will vote the chubby chop lad through. Louis made the right choice with Lloyd. He will appeal to the older viewers of the show.
In the overs Talia should be in. But it could be Berget, but she messed up so even the public might not vote for her.
I think the public will vote for the Asian girl.

The Rak-Su song was an original of there's.
Graham76man
Manager

Postby Thriller » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:32 pm

Was it?! It sounded familiar. It was really good, they'd get a hit with that.

I'm switching Berget for Talia actually. She has a lot better chance of going further.

Apparently the live shows will work differently this year with two categories performing on Saturday followed by a vote off in the same show and the same Sunday with the other two categories. Sing off has apparently also been scrapped with the lowest voted contestant leaving. It's not a good change IMO as what if everyone on the Saturday show is amazing compared to Sunday yet someone has to go! Also, acts like Saara gained fans through the sing-off.
Thriller

Postby JakeP » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:54 pm

I agree with Thriller that Grace is easily the best contestant and is the one i'm rooting for this series. I would be incredibly happy if she won. :D

Rak-Su are slowing winning me over. At first i just thought it was all very typical boyband like 5 After Midnight last year, but its promising for these guys that they're showcasing original songs.

I can't help but have a soft spot for Sean & Conor Price because i'm shallow and think Conor is a cutie pie. :lol: But their version of What about us was dreadful and Conor kept losing the melody because it wasn't playing to his range. I get the whole inflections thing becoming irritating. With vocal training i think Conor could potentially become a much better singer.
JakeP
Manager

Postby Graham76man » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:24 pm

The sing off scrapped :o
Are they NUTS :roll:
That's what made the show, because the judges could at least pick someone who had a low vote, but was really good, from going home. Or get rid of someone who was crap, but was only 2nd from bottom.
They might as well reveal the whole vote, including who was top.
What is the point of the judges even being there now? They have lost their only power, all they can do now is simply comment. In Louis case you could replace him with a recording machine, set on random statements. Such as "I think you could be the next Superstar" or "You could have a number one record with that".
Graham76man
Manager

Postby Graham76man » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:56 pm

So no Simon tonight, that has to be a disaster for the ratings. Presumably somebody will have to fill in. Perhaps Cheryl?
Graham76man
Manager

Postby Thriller » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:07 pm

They'll probably wheel out one of One Direction to sit in.

Girls and boys performing tonight, overs and groups tomorrow.
Thriller

Postby BehindBreakaway » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:29 pm

Graham76man wrote:The sing off scrapped :o
Are they NUTS :roll:
That's what made the show, because the judges could at least pick someone who had a low vote, but was really good, from going home. Or get rid of someone who was crap, but was only 2nd from bottom.
They might as well reveal the whole vote, including who was top.
What is the point of the judges even being there now? They have lost their only power, all they can do now is simply comment. In Louis case you could replace him with a recording machine, set on random statements. Such as "I think you could be the next Superstar" or "You could have a number one record with that".
I think there's a sing off between the top 2 so I imagine they the judges will pick a winner from that!
3 months and I'm still sober, picked all my weeds but kept the flowers!
BehindBreakaway
Personal Assistant

Postby Graham76man » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:45 pm

The Good news is that iTunes has got back the recordings and Grace Davies - Too Young is straight into the iTunes chart at 30! Lloyd is next but well outside the 100. Simon must have realised the potential of having the acts actually in some chart that the show can quote and the public can see.

No replacement for Simon, but Cheryl was there.
Grace of course topped the public vote and has to sing again or at least compete in some way with whoever tops the public vote in the groups or overs. Whoever wins it gets a holiday in New York to see and meet P!nk.

I was hoping that the chubby lad would get in on the public vote, but they went with break a leg man. The groups got Jake and Joel, who are crap!
Somebody will have to introduce the groups, so maybe that's where Cheryl comes in. I suppose they could get Louis to do it though.
Graham76man
Manager

Postby Thriller » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:23 am

The live show last night was pretty dire. It just felt so flat and whether that's down to the new format or the contestants I don't know. I barely knew any of the songs which didn't help.

That "Saturday night champion" thing was completely anti-climatic, and the elimination felt very uneventful too. I guess the scrapping of the sing-off has also scrapped any tension.

I would've rather Leon went out over Spencer, but neither of them were anything special. Grace topping the vote didn't surprise me but I felt the best performance of the night overall was probably Rai-Elle or Lloyd.
Thriller

Postby westhammer » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:44 am

My major issue with last night were the judges comments. 2 of the boys had absolutely dire performance and not a single judge slated them! It's just become a farce really
You say that I must eat so many lemons, cos I am so Bitt-er
westhammer
Legend

Postby Thriller » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:39 pm

westhammer wrote:My major issue with last night were the judges comments. 2 of the boys had absolutely dire performance and not a single judge slated them! It's just become a farce really
Yes, absolutely useless critique. It's all "you know what, you come such a long way in this competition"... that doesn't mean anything! Talk about the vocal, talk about the stage presence, talk about the performance, the entertainment factor etc. etc. Only Nicole really said anything remotely negative.
Thriller

Postby Thriller » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:18 pm

The Kutkelvins were the highlight of tonight, the girl is a star - she could be solo! I was surprised with Kevin who did Stay, he was really strong too (apart from one shriek note).

Can't believe with Talia's tone they gave her a bloody slowed down version of What Makes You Beautiful! :roll: I think she'll be going tonight.

Not sure what to make of Jack & Joel :lol: it was fun but the middle rap section was a bit cringe. Glad to hear someone doing Dua anyway!

I find Matt so dull. The charisma of a peanut. Those brothers doing London Grammar were excruiating. Tracyleanne was looking so much better, decent performance as well. Rak-su did their weakest song yet.

The amount of recent/obscure songs they're using this year will have older viewers switching off in their droves - maybe that's what they want. Although they should be trying to cling on to as many viewers as they can!

So man standing ovations too - they've completely lost their affect. Back in the earlier series a standing O was rare and only saved for the very best performances.
Thriller

Postby Thriller » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:43 pm

Poor Talia - she had absolutely no chance with that awful song choice, what a waste.

They sing the same song in the sing-off?! :roll:

Grace v Rak-su... interesting how these two acts have been pushed by the producers as front-runners, they're both getting through with original songs and now they're top 2 with the public. What's the betting they'll be the final two and end up with deals at the end...

Simon should just cut out the middle man and sign them without the farce of putting on this show!
Thriller

Postby Graham76man » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:13 pm

Pushed by the producers?
Come off it they didn't need any pushing at all. They are both great acts. Grace is absolutely a star, she is Adele quality. I just love how she is so surprised every time the public vote for her.
So glad they have changed the policy about artists doing original songs.

Clearly the deal with Spotify didn't work out.
Oddly only two acts made the 100 on iTunes today, I haven't checked after tonight's show. Last time I Looked Grace was at 12 and Lloyd at 42.

I think they changed back simply to allow the judges to comment about the acts being in the charts. And if one does top the iTunes chart they can get publicity from it. Presumably the OCC will block them from appearing in their own charts.

Presumably (again) Cheryl wanted to much money so the got Mel for less.
Graham76man
Manager

Postby Biebz » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:23 pm

I agree with Thriller, it's incredibly obvious who the producers want to win. The others almost don't stand a chance. Just give the crown to Grace and call it day, we all know she'll win anyway.

The whole sing-off thing was a disaster and completely pointless, especially having them sing the same songs. I was tempted to turn it off once I found out who went home. The viewing figures for this season are going to be diabolical, they've tried to freshen the live shows up and somehow made them worse.
my reputation's never been worse so you must like me for me
Biebz
Best Damn Member

Postby Graham76man » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:16 am

But you never know with the X-Factor. The public vote isn't a certainty. We had that situation once were everyone thought the top acts were safe. Then they both landed in the bottom two. And the second best act won the competition, because it went down to the public vote as the judges all thought that the top act would not be bottom. But she was. After that the public woke up and voted for the second best act each week. Prior to that the worst act in the show was winning the public vote each week.
Talia went through on the public vote. But they soon turned their backs on her.
I think that with the short voting time, not even giving the chance for viewers to vote on the +1 channels and the Sunday repeat, then voting numbers will be smaller and thus leading to more bizarre voting patterns. If people don't watch the live show, with the poor ratings they will get, the outcome could be far from certain.

It seems that the Xtra Factor has been dropped from the ITV2 channel too. So no interviews, no calls from the public talking to the judges.
Graham76man
Manager

Postby firefly_86 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:53 am

All of these changes are down to one thing - rollbacks.

They are rolling back the show because it's not the King anymore. There are less episodes (I think this series is on air for 3 weeks less in total) and the episodes have been cut shorter - all in all much less time to get through the competition, hence all these changes.

Instead I'm a Celebrity has been extended and will be on air for longer as it gets more viewers now.

Interestingly, not only is Great British Bake Off currently getting about the same number of viewers, but more young viewers between 16-24 than X-Factor. Young people are more interested in cakes than this competition!

ITV have also cut Xtra Factor because it has a new jewel in its crown for young audiences on ITV2, in the form of Love Island.

In conclusion, I think this is the beginning of the end for X-Factor... or at least a wind down before an extended hiatus which is probably long overdue.
firefly_86
Manager

Postby Thriller » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:50 am

firefly_86 wrote:All of these changes are down to one thing - rollbacks.

They are rolling back the show because it's not the King anymore. There are less episodes (I think this series is on air for 3 weeks less in total) and the episodes have been cut shorter - all in all much less time to get through the competition, hence all these changes.

Instead I'm a Celebrity has been extended and will be on air for longer as it gets more viewers now.

Interestingly, not only is Great British Bake Off currently getting about the same number of viewers, but more young viewers between 16-24 than X-Factor. Young people are more interested in cakes than this competition!

ITV have also cut Xtra Factor because it has a new jewel in its crown for young audiences on ITV2, in the form of Love Island.

In conclusion, I think this is the beginning of the end for X-Factor... or at least a wind down before an extended hiatus which is probably long overdue.
This is true, they're investing in new projects and even bringing Dancing On Ice back as that was still a good ratings puller even in its last series.
Thriller

Postby Graham76man » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:39 am

List of all the sellers in iTunes from X-Factor:

2 Grace Davies - Too Young (X Factor Recording)
5 Rak-Su - Mamacita (X Factor Recording)
46 Lloyd Macey - City of Stars (X Factor Recording)
65 Matt Linnen - Scars to Your Beautiful (X Factor Recording)
69 The Cutkelvins - What About Us (X Factor Recording)
91 Kevin Davy White - Stay (X Factor Recording)
140 Alisah Bonaobra - This Is My Now (X Factor Recording)
146 Jack & Joel - New Rules (X Factor Recording)
201 Sean & Conor Price - Strong (X Factor Recording)
223 Holly Tandy - Hollow (X Factor Recording)
225 Tracy Jefferson - Written In the Water (X Factor Recording) iTunes has left her middle name out!
265 Spencer Sutherland - Who You Are (X Factor Recording)
277 Leon Mallet - Stay (X Factor Recording)
422 Rai-Elle Williams - Doo Wop (That Thing) / Lost Ones / No (X Factor Recording)
859 Talia Dean - What Makes You Beautiful (X Factor Recording)
1033 Sam Black - Faith (X Factor Recording)

If anyone is missing from the list it might be down to the track not having clearance and not because it isn't selling. All 1500 checked though.
Graham76man
Manager

Return to TV