Celebrity Big Brother 2018

Moderators: Spartan, menime123

Postby Thriller » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:21 pm

It's January, it's back and this year it's ALL women (for the first few days at least).

L-R:
Ann Widdecombe
Malika Haqq
Rachel Johnson
Amanda Barrie
Jess Impiazzi
Maggie Oliver
India Willoughby
Ashley James

I'd heard of two of them before the show... seems they sacrified actual celebrities in favour of getting a spread of "strong" women.
Thriller

Postby Spartan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:44 pm

Ann and Amanda are the only ones I’ve heard of. Amanda looks great for her age.
Spartan
Legend

Postby menime123 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:18 pm

What utter crap and I love CBB. It’s launch night - where’s the money?
Girls Aloud: only 4 years left of my decade long signature countdown to my dream 20th anniversary reunion tour...
menime123
Legend

Postby SholasBoy » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:49 pm

Ann and Amanda were the only 2 I really knew too, I knew the story of Maggie too as it was in the news and because of the Sheridan Smith drama. By the way I'm not sure she should be doing this show, I love her story and what she did for those girls, but wonder how she can turn that into becoming a reality TV star? When Emma said Queen of Soaps, I thought...surely Babs or Joan can't be going in? Amanda Barrie was a bit of a disappointment after that, though she is a fabulous 82 year old (wasn't Brackie Stallone older though?). It was a very strange launch, with talk of how "important" it is for them to be going in on this series...as if it's some big inspirational thing they're doing by going into the Big Brother house.
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby Graham76man » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:13 am

When I saw the line up, I was disappointed to say the least. :(
I was in two minds to watch any of it. I watched the second to last going in and then Amanda going in. I didn't know she had married a woman!
I have seen some of the contenders for the men, that's not much better either.
Torry MP, journalists is not my idea of entertainment. So if there is anything else better to watch, then I will not be tuning in.

Apparently the contract for Celebrity Big Brother runs out with this one. So unless it does well, which I doubt, it could be cancelled.

Oh I met Ann Widdecombe once in 1997, didn't like her then, so not keen on watching her now.
Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!
Graham76man
Manager

Postby menime123 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:13 am

I love BB and CBB - But this launch night is the worst one. I don’t care if I know someone or not as I accept A listers aren’t going in. But usually there’s a ‘wow’ name but tonight’s mix is just odd.

That said, I’ve just watched the live stream and think Ann and Boris’ sister are quite wonderful in how they’re explaining themselves in the task - incredibly intelligent women able to eloquently explain themselves. I do find it refreshing that on first impressions, this might not be a house that will tolerate screaming fits and camera hungry people.

I find it odd that there’s an ex police woman in there just for being a whistle blower, but you know, if CBB ask and are offering good money then why the hell not?
Girls Aloud: only 4 years left of my decade long signature countdown to my dream 20th anniversary reunion tour...
menime123
Legend

Postby menime123 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:20 am

Graham76man wrote:When I saw the line up, I was disappointed to say the least. :(
I was in two minds to watch any of it. I watched the second to last going in and then Amanda going in. I didn't know she had married a woman!
I have seen some of the contenders for the men, that's not much better either.
Torry MP, journalists is not my idea of entertainment. So if there is anything else better to watch, then I will not be tuning in.

Apparently the contract for Celebrity Big Brother runs out with this one. So unless it does well, which I doubt, it could be cancelled.

Oh I met Ann Widdecombe once in 1997, didn't like her then, so not keen on watching her now.
It is the last, and C5 have indicated they may not be interested in keeping this or the main show anymore. However I could see CBB being retained and the regular BB being retired.

On paper the people don’t work but one of my favourite CBBs was the one with Farrah, Austin and James and it was the people I didn’t know that made the show - so I’m not too caught up on the names as such.

I think Ann might come into her own on this - she’s an incredibly educated woman and even if you have different opinions, she can hold her own in a discussion and survived the House of Commons. I suspect she’s a fascinating woman, irrespective of whether you share any common ground, so I hope they don’t turn her into the oddball housemate.

I still hope the budget was spent on some male names though :lol:
menime123
Legend

Postby Thriller » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:17 pm

It was a dreadfully boring launch, made more embarrassing by Emma constantly saying how important it was and "if I was going in, it would be this series".

Amanda Barrie was hardly the queen of soaps, she looks bloody good for 82 though. Jackie was 83, it appears Channel 5 are ignoring the Channel 4 years.
Thriller

Postby BehindBreakaway » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:08 pm

I don't hate the line up. I'm interested to see how it goes
3 months and I'm still sober, picked all my weeds but kept the flowers!
BehindBreakaway
Manager

Postby Toxic » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:05 am

Spoiler:
RuPaul’s Drag Race star Courtney Act will enter Celebrity Big Brother on Friday with Shane Lynch and John Barnes

New housemate alert !!
Toxic
Manager

Postby SholasBoy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:33 am

I have to say tonight's show was excellent, how refreshing it was to see people sitting around and actually debating real life rather than trying to sleep with each other and doing tasks about "who's the biggest game player" etc... I don't know how well it will have gone down with the usual reality star hungry BB audience, but for me it was a great step in the right direction and I hope they keep it up.
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby aaliyahman » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:54 am

It is a disappointing line up as i know literally Anne Widdecombe.
Yet i did find it refreshing that there weren’t any (yet) Cami Lee types or any of *those* reality stars that thrive on fights and *Magaluf* mentality. It’s a shame that the trans lady started the ‘bitching’ so soon. She should have kept it nice to Ann and in the DR too.

I think it’s going to be a shame when the ‘boys’ go in. Especially if that absolute waste of life that was on the apprentice goes in.

The ‘woman’s year’ is also a bit of a cop out. We could have truly had all women. From the suspected line up. It does seem. Like they have chosen seemingly respectable women yet the men are the ‘dubious’ characters. Seems like an extra attempt to ‘raise women’s profiles’
"What goes around comes back around my baby"
aaliyahman
Superstar

Postby Thriller » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:51 am

It was a weird first show because it was so muted in comparison to how they usually start off but it was quite refreshing actually.

Apparently the latest boss at Channel 5 purposely wanted to alter the tone of the show as he didn't feel comfortable with how it worked in the recent past and won't be renewing the show when the contract ends.
Thriller

Postby menime123 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:27 pm

Thriller wrote:It was a weird first show because it was so muted in comparison to how they usually start off but it was quite refreshing actually.

Apparently the latest boss at Channel 5 purposely wanted to alter the tone of the show as he didn't feel comfortable with how it worked in the recent past and won't be renewing the show when the contract ends.
The best thing for BB overall is to go back to basics - the problem is I don’t think yesterday’s highlights were the best because bugger all happened: I don’t need screaming matches but I think for a 1 hour show using footage from around 3 or 4 hours of reality, the show could have tried more.
menime123
Legend

Postby BehindBreakaway » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:32 pm

The first show is always like that because we only have action from 1030 pm onwards to watch. Not much really happens in this time. I imagine tonight's episode will be different
BehindBreakaway
Manager

Postby Graham76man » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:47 pm

Presumably no other channels want to take it up when the contract is over?
Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!
Graham76man
Manager

Postby menime123 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:06 pm

Graham76man wrote:Presumably no other channels want to take it up when the contract is over?
Unlikely. It’s C5 shite nowadays and you can’t sink much lower than that :lol:
menime123
Legend

Postby SholasBoy » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:18 pm

I do understand where India is coming from but I don't think she is doing herself any favours, I think her problem is with herself and not other people - it is a fantastic thing that in 2018 she is surrounded by people who have accepted her as transgender (not a biological woman) and I think she has to accept that sometimes people will make that slip of the tongue, but there was certainly no malice in either Anne or Amanda calling her "he", and she should graciously accept their apologies.

Remember when Nadia won BB, it was almost a gimmick that she was trans and they made a big deal of it, as if it was some secret task, how funny it was that the housemates didn't know she was born male.
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby menime123 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:32 pm

I just choked on my pizza :o :lol:
menime123
Legend

Postby menime123 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:38 pm

SholasBoy wrote:I do understand where India is coming from but I don't think she is doing herself any favours, I think her problem is with herself and not other people - it is a fantastic thing that in 2018 she is surrounded by people who have accepted her as transgender (not a biological woman) and I think she has to accept that sometimes people will make that slip of the tongue, but there was certainly no malice in either Anne or Amanda calling her "he", and she should graciously accept their apologies.

Remember when Nadia won BB, it was almost a gimmick that she was trans and they made a big deal of it, as if it was some secret task, how funny it was that the housemates didn't know she was born male.
I agree that India did herself absolutely no favours. My view is that it was a genuine slip of the tongue by an 82 year old woman. So what? All India has to do is point out it happened and then move on. I think Anne was absolutely right - if it was completely accidental, then an apology is enough.

Rachel was also spot on - the reaction wasn’t actually for Amanda and absolutely for the public. She totally ruined any limited good will anyone could have at this stage in the game. I was so Team Amanda throughout that because my thoughts are you can correct older people, but you have to accept lots of new stuff are harder for them in many ways.
menime123
Legend

Postby Wayne » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:42 pm

Just seen this on Twitter:

Amazing.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby menime123 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:54 pm

Wayne wrote:Just seen this on Twitter:

Amazing.
It happened in the house when she was telling everyone what had happened :lol:
menime123
Legend

Postby BehindBreakaway » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:20 am

It was amazing. Fake or not. It was genius
BehindBreakaway
Manager

Postby ArmyOfMe » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:10 am

Courtney Act's entrance was iconique AF
ArmyOfMe
Superstar

Postby Noahh » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:29 pm

They should just have Tiffany “New York” Pollard in the CBB house every year. She was iconic and certainly one of the best participants ever. True queen!
"I got to do things my own way darling. Will you ever let me? Will you ever respect me? No!"

InstagramLast.fm
Noahh
Legend

Return to TV