Roseanne/The Connors

Moderators: Spartan, menime123

Postby NothingFails » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:57 pm

Just two months until the return of this legendary show. Cannot wait. Great treat for the 30th anniversary of the premiere. Everyone (besides Glenn Quinn and Shelley Winters who both passed away in the time since) is returning in some capacity, even Johnny Galecki who is going to be in one episode despite his commitments to The Big Bang Theory.

I am curious to see how they "fix" the final season and especially the final episode given John Goodman is back and Dan died of a heart attack on the series.

Cannot wait though. Roseanne is one of my favorite tv shows of all time and I even enjoyed the last season which many hated. So I really am curious to see how the Conners will be in the present.

Last edited by NothingFails on Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:18 pm

I remember bawling at this when it aired in 1997. Although it's funny now that season 9 has been deleted from canon, therefore Dan is still alive and they never won the lottery. I did like the last season but many hated it... I thought it was wonderful to see Roseanne and Jackie hobnobbing with Edina and Patsy and all the other insane campy things that happened, although it was so far removed from the show people loved to begin with.

NothingFails
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:16 pm

No other Roseanne stans on here besides me? shocked since people love the 90s here and it was a fierce diva-driven show and also LGBT friendly at a time where gay characters practically didn't exist. Jackie and Darlene are both amazing.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby bluecherry » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:24 am

Roseanne is gonna be a Trump supporter. I’ll pass.
bluecherry
Manager

Postby Goldmoney » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:32 am

I still catch reruns of the original when I can, as it’s one of the top sitcoms of all time and somewhat of a guilty pleasure considering my background is so far removed from the core target audience, but I’m not supporting anything new that portrays Trump in a positive light. :roll: Maybe I’ll watch the premiere out of curiosity just to see how they tie up season nine’s loose ends, but dassit.
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:58 pm

Roseanne is a Trump supporter, but from what I heard, the show is still going to be progressive and everything. Sara Gilbert is an exec producer and I doubt she will let Darlene become a Trumpster, and John Goodman is very liberal as well.

I think Roseanne's Trump thing is all a troll act anyways... she even said she would make a better president than him recently.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby joiPrince_JO » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:00 pm

This is not gonna do well ratings-wise. A lot of people will probably watch the season premiere for nostalgia's sake, but once they realize Roseanne is a Trump supporter, they're gonna leave. Roseanne (the actress) is so incredibly unlikable anyway, I feel like she's already turned a lot of people off before the show even premiered.
Girls' Generation
HyoYeonBritney Spears

Girls' Generation is the best-selling girl group of all time.
joiPrince_JO
Legend

Postby SholasBoy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:49 pm

I always thought Roseanne was so funny and down to earth until I saw her comedy roast and discovered she takes herself way too seriously and is actually a total cow
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby NothingFails » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:35 pm

This show isn't going to be too conservative. Darlene and David have a gender non-conforming son on here, and plus Gilbert, Goodman and Metcalf are all card-carrying liberals so it'll balance things out. Plus, Roseanne did say she would make a better president than Trump
NothingFails
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:42 pm

joiPrince_JO wrote:I feel like she's already turned a lot of people off before the show even premiered.
To be truthful, she was extremely controversial and polarizing even in the 90s. I remember reading an US weekly poll and she and Madonna were the most hated women in the world in 1993, even though Roseanne the show was the most beloved show in the same polls :lol: :lol: :lol:

As long as the show is well-written and funny, I think it'll be okay.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby Goldmoney » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:53 am

At the very least, I loved her take-no-prisoners attitude toward racism. 8-)
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:23 am

Goldmoney wrote:At the very least, I loved her take-no-prisoners attitude toward racism. 8-)
On the new series, DJ has an African American wife and biracial daughter so it's cool to see how far he's come since not wanting to kiss a black girl in the school play.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby Ewokguy15 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:58 am

I loved this show when I was a kid, I've been watching it a lot over the last few weeks and it's still really funny. I am definitely watching!!!!
Ewokguy15
Manager

Postby NothingFails » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:04 am

The opening credits have leaked, a throwback to the classic "Conners at the dinner table" opening from the origjnal show. Between DJ having a black daughter, Darlene having a gender non-conforming son and the rumor that Darlene comes out of the closet on the new show (as David only makes a few appearances as they're divorced, Johnny Galecki wasn't going to give Big Bang Theory up) should calm the worries that the new Roseanne is going to be an alt-right neo-conservative show.

NothingFails
Legend

Postby ThaInfo1 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:55 am

I'm a Darlene Stan so Trump supporter or not, I gotta watch!

It's still **** her and trump tho.
'SCAPE
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:57 pm

yes yes yes I always stanned Darlene too. She and Jackie were my faves, I loved Roseanne too but those two were the backbone for me, which is probably one of the bigger reasons I don't like the latter seasons as much as seasons 1-6 because Darlene's not in it as much after she went to college and she was barely part of the last season.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:46 am

I was apprehensive at first because I am not a fan of Roseanne Barr the person and her Trump support but I really did enjoy the first two episodes this evening and felt they should satisfy anyone who enjoyed the original show. The first episode was loaded with barbs between Roseanne and Jackie who had a falling out over the election and it actually mocked both sides. The second episode was more of a standard episode, and people who fear the show is a neo-con wet dream would hate the entire episode revolving around their grandson who wears women's clothing and is flamboyant and cares about fashion, while the family adores him, although it's Dan who worries about him not being masculine enough, but he did the same thing with DJ in the prior series.

It was cool to see the easter egg in episode 2 where Mark (Darlene's son)'s teacher was the same lady who was Darlene's teacher way back in the first episode in 1988 that Roseanne had to go to see because she was barking in class.

Really, Sara Gilbert is probably the real star this time and Roseanne and John Goodman are more supporting, and that's fine because Darlene rules. They did turn Becky into an airhead and Lecy Goranson's acting hasn't gotten better over the years. DJ was so non-existant that he didn't do anything, although it's weird that his character is now a veteran from the war when on the original series, it looked like he was becoming a film geek, so it doesn't make sense how he went from that to the military.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby Goldmoney » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:47 pm

Ooooh lawd... I was expecting 10-12 million at best! :o

Roseanne revival premieres to massive ratings

The revival of Roseanne premiered to massive ratings Tuesday night.

The return delivered an incredible 18.2 million viewers along with an equally impressive 5.1 rating among adults 18-49.

According to ABC, this is the highest-rated comedy telecast on any network in nearly four years (since a premiere episode of CBS’ The Big Bang Theory from 2014).

So, yes, even bigger than NBC’s mega-hit This Is Us during any of its regularly scheduled episodes, where the weepy dramedy usually tops out around a 3.0 adult demo rating (the special This Is Us post-Super Bowl episode was bigger, but that’s to be expected).

In the adult demo, it also trumps Sunday’s blockbuster 60 Minutes episode which featured an interview with Stormy Daniels.
Also kinda incredible, given how ratings have declined over the years: Roseanne’s return was actually higher among total viewers than its 1997 finale 21 years ago!

The Roseanne hour-long premiere audience also grew slightly from the show’s first episode at 8 p.m. to its second at 8:30 p.m., which is a good sign.

A couple other data points: This is Tuesday’s highest-rated entertainment telecast in six years among young adults and ABC’s best results in the time slot since 2006.

https://www.google.com/amp/ew.com/tv/20 ... tings/amp/
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:20 pm

I'm not really surprised. Despite people being turned off by Barr the person (but in reality people hated her in the 90s as well), Roseanne is generally a well-loved show and I think people wanted to see how this quintessential 90s show could hold up in 2018. I think it looks like a season 11 is all but guaranteed now.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:52 pm

So has anyone else been watching the reboot?

I know Roseanne as a person has put people off, but while the show initially got off to a so-so start, it's quickly turned back into the show I loved 20+ years ago and everyone feels back at home in their characters

Really glad we're getting a season 2/11. It's really become must see tv again and it's great to see a revival that works. Darlene is turning into the star of the show again and there's nothing wrong with that, Sara Gilbert has always been great in the role and it's neat seeing her as a 40-something mom after watching her literally grow up from 13-22 on the show and now seeing her in Roseanne's role essentially.

Loved seeing Bev last night, she's like 90 now and still sexually active and still driving Roseanne and Jackie crazy :lol: :lol: :lol:
NothingFails
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:43 pm

Kind of surprised that with this forums' obsession with things that peaked in the 90s as well as female-centric television that I'm pretty much all to my lonesome in watching/loving this revival over here.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby mattsky » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:31 pm

I haven't seen the new episodes. Such a shame it's not on netflix because I don't watch tv.
Haven't been early since '88
mattsky
Superstar

Postby Goldmoney » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:50 pm

I watched the premiere episode, but the pro-Trump agenda Roseanne was pushing down our throats really put me off exploring the series further.

The actress who plays Jackie hasn’t lost a step tho. I felt like I was placed in a time warp.
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby Ewokguy15 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:13 pm

I’m watching it. It’s just as good as the original series.
Ewokguy15
Manager

Postby bluecherry » Tue May 29, 2018 5:58 pm

Roseanne Cancelled: ABC Scraps Season 11 Following Roseanne Barr's Racist Twitter Tirade

http://tvline.com/2018/05/29/roseanne-cancelled-season-11-racist-tweet-controversy-abc/
bluecherry
Manager

Return to TV