To Binge or Not To Binge?

Moderators: Spartan, menime123

To Binge, or Not To Binge? That is the poll...

Binge, absolutely!
71%
Nope. Never.
29%

Total votes : 14

Postby menime123 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:09 pm

Box set binge watching is now a legitimate method of watching a box set - to the extent that a ‘tv’ series isn’t actually even broadcast nowadays.

Traditionally, a drama series is watched weekly, and depending on how great a show it is, you spend a full week waiting and then when it’s over, spend months (or a year or two in Britain) waiting for the next series. Nowadays, many people just watch an entire box set is more or less on sitting.

The question is, which to you prefer?

I admit, I binge watch because nowadays there is just far too much content to watch. Yet, part of me misses the ‘journey’ you go on with the characters, and the time you spend with them. I studied and worked in TV production, so my heart belongs to TV, but as much as I binge watch nowadays,

I do believe binge watching is more about just understand the plot and what it’s all about, rather than spending time getting to know characters. Shows like LOST and Desperate Housewives were huge around the globe, and both were rooted firmly in the character development - we watched because we grew to care about each and stayed hoping that ultimately everyone would find happiness (even LOST, which was based on the WTF concept and mysteries, was always about the characters more than what on Earth was happening).

Game of Thrones is similar, but I know a lot of people watch weekly because they have no choice - the less obsessed individuals just wait and do it all in a weekend.

Even soaps, as much as I watch the daily, it can be much more freeing to watch a week’s worth on a Saturday morning.

So, any thoughts? How do you engage? :)
Girls Aloud: only 4 years left of my decade long signature countdown to my dream 20th anniversary reunion tour...
menime123
Legend

Postby biscuits » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:13 pm

I watched Desperate Housewives in real time. Some weeks were filler episodes and it felt like such a disappointment after waiting at least a week.

But when I binge watched the series, the filler seems less obvious and it’s not an issue because you haven’t waited to watch. It’s not your weekly fix. You can immediately watch the next episode and hope it’s better
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Thriller » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:57 pm

If I have the time I will binge always because I am a bad one for forgetting what happened in the last episode even though it was only a week ago!

I had the best day yesterday watching the whole of series one of Stranger Things in one go.
Thriller

Postby MrDiva » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:02 pm

Thriller wrote:If I have the time I will binge always because I am a bad one for forgetting what happened in the last episode even though it was only a week ago!
This

Also i simply lose interest if I have to wait
I just don’t watch the episodes anymore if I can’t watch them back to back
MrDiva
Legend

Postby Erotica » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:43 am

I would not do that
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby Ewokguy15 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:53 am

Binge when possible.
Ewokguy15
Manager

Postby Wayne » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:01 am

I definitely am guilty of binge watching. :lol:

If I engage with something on TV, I want to know the full story - I often don't watch TV until I am able to binge watch it as I cannot stand having to wait a week between episodes.

The most recent indicator of this - I watched all 4 seasons of Peaky Blinders in less than 4 days.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Carbon » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:53 am

Thriller wrote:If I have the time I will binge always because I am a bad one for forgetting what happened in the last episode even though it was only a week ago!
this for me, too.

waiting a whole week for one episode (especially for a short sitcom episode) is frustrating. I need at least one episode a day.
необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby spiritboy » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:03 pm

I can't binge watch. Even 50 minutes is too long for me, i can't imagine spending hours in front of a screen :lol:
spiritboy
Legend

Postby Spartan » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:29 pm

Depends entirely on the sort of show. I couldn't binge watch a show like EastEnders, but I could do most others. I feel like I enjoy shows more when I binge them.

I recall binge watching all of Smallville and loving but if I had to wait a week between each episode to see what happened next I'd probably get bored, especially in the earlier seasons. Same principle with Desperate Hosuewives, much more enjoyable binged. I think it's great that we live in an era where we can binge. I just wish more shows were available on Netflix to binge.
Spartan
Legend

Postby menime123 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:44 pm

I am clearly guilty of both - I agree weekly episodes are too long a wait, but I do enjoy them if they’re shows everyone is talking about at work and stuff: we have a rule in the office that we check with everyone where everyone is at before discussing stuff (after a colleague unknowingly spoiled a GOT episode...)

Once upon a time I gave up every TV show I was watching weekly, left it for a year or two then went back to the start of them all and watched one more or less a day. If I watch too many episodes I get restless as my mind wanders and I like to give something my full attention: I try not to even pick my phone up, which I inevitably do if I’m watching episodes back to back.

My exception is a soap - I play on the iPad and listen/watch episodes. I just did it actually, to 2 full weeks of Neighbours :lol:
Girls Aloud: only 4 years left of my decade long signature countdown to my dream 20th anniversary reunion tour...
menime123
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:02 pm

When I think of my favourite TV shows - Game of Thrones, Desperate Housewives, Scandal, Veep - I binge-watched them all. I think I prefer binge-watching because it lets you hone in on a singular show, as opposed to juggling several shows throughout the week. It makes it easier to catch on to those little nuances and hidden clues when you binge-watch. It's also a fun way to spend a weekend. :lol:
If grass can grow through cement, love can find you at every time in your life.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Thriller » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:10 pm

I prefer not to binge the soaps but they are one of the few programmes I'll stick on and sit on UKMIX/my phone in front of, so I'm more listening than watching. Shows like GOT need my full undivided attention.
Thriller

Return to TV