Top Of The Pops

Postby Thriller » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:25 pm

I don't bother with it much these days but it's an institution! :o It'll be sad just to know it's not around anymore :(

The BBC's flagship pop music programme Top of the Pops has been cancelled after 42 years, the BBC has announced.

"The time has come to bring the show to its natural conclusion," said the BBC's director of television Jana Bennett.

In a statement, the BBC said the weekly programme could no longer compete with 24-hour music channels.

Top of the Pops was first broadcast in 1964, from a converted church in Salford, Manchester. The final edition will be shown on 30 July.

The pop programme was only commissioned for six episodes when it began in 1964.

But it proved so popular that it won a weekly slot and has been broadcast by the BBC ever since, celebrating its 2,000th show in 2002.

The very first show was presented by BBC Radio 1 DJ Jimmy Savile and the first artists to appear were the Rolling Stones, who sang I Wanna Be Your Man.

Many Radio 1 presenters hosted the show over the years, including Dave Lee Travis and Noel Edmonds. The current presenter is Fearne Cotton.

In its 1970s heyday, the show attracted audiences of 15 million, but by 2002 the figure had dropped to just 3 million.

The show was relaunched in 2003 with former presenter Andi Peters in charge, but it failed to attract new viewers and was moved to BBC Two the following year.

"The team did a stirling job in revitalising the format for our audience," said BBC Two controller Roly Keating, "but we all recognise that the time has come to move on."
Last edited by Thriller on Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thriller

Postby Colin » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:30 pm

Aww that's a shame :( I still use to watch it even though the addition of old performances was crap.

Now there will be no music shows around at all! :o What has become of music? :x
Colin
In The Zone

Postby Thriller » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:33 pm

Well CD:UK is meant to be back in the Autumn but I know what you mean, everyone is relying on This Morning, Richard & Judy, GMTV, Paul O'Grady etc to promote their singles and the core audience for those shows are housewives and pensioners!

The only music shows I know of are Popworld and The Album Chart Show. But the latter is very "indie" so the likes of Girls Aloud and Pussycat Dolls stand no chance on it.
Thriller

Postby James3k » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:35 pm

Well the BBC really screwed this one up.
If they had kept to showing performances from all the new entries in the chart, people would have watched it. But they decided to put loads of new music on it instead.
I think people don't like to be told what to like - if people like something they'll buy it and it will go in the charts.
And there was no point in getting rid of TOTP2 either. People who liked that weren't going to tune in to TOTP just because they show one old clip from some dodgy 70s group.
James3k
Groupie

Postby jamiedazzled » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:01 pm

TOTP used to be an institution, it's the BBC's fault for not keeping the public's interest, it's not like people have stopped buying music, a wider variety of artists is all that is needed, TOTP was far better when all acts were allowed to perform despite their chart positions!!
jamiedazzled
Manager

Postby child_destinys » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:05 pm

I assume they'll replace it with something similar; they're meant to cater for everyone so they can't just completely erase music from their channels!
You said turn around so I cannot see your tears falling...
child_destinys
Legend

Postby danlucky16 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:11 pm

I used to love it when it actually had all the new entries of that week performing their singles along with a repeat performance of the number one. It was such a great format. They just fiddled with it and ruined everything.

It's worrying - because it would now seem that unless Radio One playlist you, you are doomed to fail.
danlucky16
Superstar

Postby John » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:20 pm

The format's been a bit crap lately though, I don't see why they decided to stick some random archive performance in the middle of each show, then there's the random songs that aren't singles.

Top Of The Pops would be great if it just showed what is, erm, top of the pops.
This post is highly unlikely to be serious. Please treat it accordingly. Unless it's music-related, in which case I'm damn well right.
John
Chief Kitten Herder

Postby Thriller » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:25 pm

Exactly, it had a winning formula for years and years, just playing the best new entries each week, until it got all cocky in about 2003 and started fannying about with "the EXCLUSIVE new single from 50 Cent which isn't out for 18 weeks but we're so EXCLUSIVE it hurts".
Thriller

Postby matthew_dixon » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:13 pm

James3k wrote:Well the BBC really screwed this one up.
If they had kept to showing performances from all the new entries in the chart, people would have watched it. But they decided to put loads of new music on it instead.
I think people don't like to be told what to like - if people like something they'll buy it and it will go in the charts.
And there was no point in getting rid of TOTP2 either. People who liked that weren't going to tune in to TOTP just because they show one old clip from some dodgy 70s group.
I think you've summed up exactly what I think.

TOTP and TOTP2 were two very successful shows. They messed around with them, the viewing figures dropped and so they've dropped the show altogether. I think had they gone back to the old format, it would still be popular.
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby Skelofect » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:56 pm

The whole "can't compete with music channels" doesn't wash with me.

The format is a bloody joke and nowhere near the tightness it used to be so obviously it's failing.

I don't see why they're axing it though, it's fine on BBC2 though I never watch it as it doesnt feature new entries. It just has some rock or indie band that's 'in' at the moment and are due promo.

I'll miss it though as it's all we have left. :-?
Johnny wanted cream buns for his birthday tea...
Skelofect
Legend

Postby cidermaster » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:08 pm

It is quite simple,it has way past its sell by date.
Its last chance was a few years ago,when it should have switched to more album chart coverage.
Singles do not matter any more and add the numerous music channels of the modern world,and its goodbye to totp.

Cheers Cidermaster.

P.S i wonder if they will have quiche and sausage rapped in bacon at TOTP funeral.
cidermaster
Legend

Postby Skelofect » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:14 pm

How can it be by it's sell by date?

It always features current music, it's not like it can get repeatative and boring...well, it is boring but only coz of the format these days. :lol:
Skelofect
Legend

Postby cidermaster » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:21 pm

Its past its sell by date because singles are not important anymore.
Albums are a true statement of most artists in the business and even more so now.
Do you really care about the amount of crap that stains the top 40 nowadays.And mostly in limited sales.

Cheers Cidermaster.
cidermaster
Legend

Postby Cal900 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:36 pm

Been coming for a long time.

As someone said, it tried to cater for loads of needs and ended up messing up big time.

Goodbye TOTPs :cry:
Cal900
Manager

Postby child_destinys » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:39 pm

cidermaster wrote:Its past its sell by date because singles are not important anymore.
Albums are a true statement of most artists in the business and even more so now.
Do you really care about the amount of crap that stains the top 40 nowadays.And mostly in limited sales.

Cheers Cidermaster.
Novelty singles aside, most of the crap that "stains" the Top 40 singles chart will also go on to stain the album chart too.

I don't see how singles aren't important anymore; I thought sales were increasing. Certainly legal downloads are anyway!
You said turn around so I cannot see your tears falling...
child_destinys
Legend

Postby DjBreakz » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:55 pm

that's pretty shit if you ask me.

at the end of the day, we're forced by law to pay for the bbc, and now they dont have a single programme showcasing new music on the whole of their tv network?

do we have a bloody say in what we pay for whatsoever?

just because they're getting less viewers, there's still thousands upon thousands of us who do appreciate a show dedicated to music! what about us?

i'd also be interested to know if they get less viewers on the sunday show to what they were getting near the end of the friday shows as the move was a stupid idea imo anyway! was tops to listen to totp before goin out on a friday night!

it's shite i tell yer! i don't even watch the wanky music channels! 3 tracks then 10 mins of bloody ringtones in my face all day long? no thanks.
"as long as there is hunger from the public to see others suffer, the media will always get away with bullying creative people." MIKE SKINNER
DjBreakz
Manager

Postby James3k » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:09 am

Axing 'Shafted' was bad enough, but TOTP is a totally diffent ball game!
Glad people seem to agree anyway.

I don't see the point in them axing a classic music show, and then launching some crappy new show which will just tell us what to listen.

So I figured it was time for another petition :lol:

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/totpback/petition.html
Last edited by James3k on Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
James3k
Groupie

Postby DjBreakz » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:13 am

James3k wrote:
So I figured it was time for another petition :lol:

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/totpback/petition.html
signed :D
"as long as there is hunger from the public to see others suffer, the media will always get away with bullying creative people." MIKE SKINNER
DjBreakz
Manager

Postby James3k » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:16 am

Good good... 2 signatures, we're on a roll!

it's shite i tell yer! i don't even watch the wanky music channels! 3 tracks then 10 mins of bloody ringtones in my face all day long? no thanks.
lol agreed! And it's not like you really get a choice of what's played on those anyway...

By the way, Matthew and all at UKMix HQ... any chance you could put some kind of feature about the petition on the home page??
James3k
Groupie

Postby Toxic » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:00 am

I don't blame them really, it's changed dramatically since the start!
Toxic
Manager

Postby ManicFan2k » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:08 am

A man who regiously taped TOTP every week for over 5 years (1995-2000)* is shocked it does an legacy it's not the 'show' or the 'music' itself it used to be really good 1995/1996 format wise its the awful 're-hashed' varation its become in the last 5 years.

*and I threw the tapes away. Could of sold them to someone damn me
He's finally made a come back. I'm now offically a semi-professional comedian. http://forums.chortle.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=35879.
ManicFan2k
Superstar

Postby cidermaster » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:13 pm

We have all missed out on one piece of evidence on why TOTP died.Andy Peters,as soon as he got involved things went from bad to worse.

Cheers Cidermaster.
cidermaster
Legend

Postby Blondini » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:29 pm

thelazyboy wrote:The format's been a bit crap lately though, I don't see why they decided to stick some random archive performance in the middle of each show, then there's the random songs that aren't singles.

Top Of The Pops would be great if it just showed what is, erm, top of the pops.
Completely agree.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Skelofect » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:47 pm

DjBreakz wrote:it's shite i tell yer! i don't even watch the wanky music channels! 3 tracks then 10 mins of bloody ringtones in my face all day long? no thanks.
Yeah, me neither. I mean, once you've seen the video a few times you don't exactly sit round waiting to see it again. I'd rather watch a live performance of the song.
Skelofect
Legend

Return to TV