Top Of The Pops

Moderators: Spartan, menime123

Postby Blondini » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:05 pm

Surprised me. Didn't know the Breakers ever went outside the top 40. They never did from 87 onwards. I remember the "outrage" when Mick Jagger was on the show "live" despite being at 41 with Let's Work. Seen as favouritism. They could have included The Fink Brothers (2 of Madness disguised as 2000AD comic characters) in last week's Breakers. :-?

It seems all the TOTP appearances did for Bryan Adams was push the huge sales of his Reckless album. 4 weeks at #11 and one of the biggest singles to not make the top ten.

Some listings mags had this as another unedited 40 minute edition though not the later repeat. Clearly an error.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Graham76man » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:13 pm

The Fink Brothers only reached 62 and spent 5 weeks in the chart.
Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!
Graham76man
Manager

Postby Blondini » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:29 pm

^Stop confusing people. The Real Chart thread has been locked so if you're not mentioning it don't post misleading comments.
They got to #50 on the official chart. Therefore in range of the Breakers.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Graham76man » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:37 am

Blondini wrote:^Stop confusing people. The Real Chart thread has been locked so if you're not mentioning it don't post misleading comments.
They got to #50 on the official chart. Therefore in range of the Breakers.
Nobody is confused. The thread was locked because some childish person decided to change the name to "0". The only persons that could have done that are moderators and the person that started it. I understand from the moderator of the section that matter was so serious as to be taken before a full moderators discussion. I don't know if they have had that yet, or if it is on the to do list.

If it was a moderator (which I can't see myself) then they are really silly. If it was the person that started the thread, then they are pathetic and might be joining many of the members on the section which UKMIX proudly boast about the fallen.

At that time the charts were compiled by Gallup. It's interesting to note that around this time the charts were being hyped so much that one company executive said considering our performance all I can say is that we are not very good at hyping our records into the Gallup Charts.
Gallup of course got the sack! :wink:

I have mentioned the chart positions several times on here. It's never seem to bother you before. I wonder if it is due to that many people now see the official chart as a joke? And that is sending you into a panic. :roll:
As I have said on my blog it's like putting Tesco in charge of the best selling supermarket list, the current status of the Offal chart. Sorry that is childish - Official Chart
Graham76man
Manager

Postby CZB » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:54 pm

Moving on two weeks tonight to episode 1096 :

07/03/85 (Presented by Janice Long and John Peel)
(15) Shakin’ Stevens – “Breaking Up My Heart”
(05) Madonna – “Material Girl” (video)
(18) Jermaine Jackson – “Do What You Do”
Breakers:
- (37) Loose Ends – “Hanging On A String (Contemplating)” (video clip)
- (31) Go West – “We Close Our Eyes” (video clip)
- (20) Philip Bailey & Phil Collins – “Easy Lover” (video clip)
( Charts 40 - 11 - Janice Long / John Peel )
(11) David Cassidy – “The Last Kiss”
( Video clips of the rest of the top ten )
(01) Dead Or Alive – “You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)”
(25) Daryl Hall & John Oates – “Method Of Modern Love” (audience dancing/credits)

The Madonna and Dead Or Alive hits were the only ones I bought from this bunch.

From this point onwards, for quite a while, "Top Of The Pops" was almost always in a thirty-minute slot at 7,30pm on Thursdays - because "EastEnders" had started airing every Tuesday and Thursday from 7.00 to 7.30 ! ( Episode six, 'Gives you the shudders to think of that poor little girl living there. In a dead man's room.' was on just before this live edition )
CZB
Legend

Postby Graham76man » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:13 am

The Theme to Eastenders by Simon May entered the top 100 on the 10 March at 100, it left after 7 weeks in the chart getting no higher than 70.
Graham76man
Manager

Postby CZB » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:54 pm

Passing by three more weeks - two due to the presence of Mike Smith, and one apparently not available now in good enough quality to broadcast - tonight on BBC FOUR it's episode 1100 :

04/04/85 (Presented by Simon Bates and Richard Skinner)
(17) Glenn Frey – “The Heat Is On”
(14) Phyllis Nelson – “Move Closer”
Breakers:
- (36) ABC – “Be Near Me” (video clip)
- (35) Bryan Adams – “Somebody” (video clip)
- (29) Pat Benatar – “Love Is A Battlefield” (video clip)
- (28) REO Speedwagon – “Can’t Fight This Feeling” (video clip)
(18) The Cool Notes – “Spend The Night”
( Charts 40 - 12 - Simon Bates / Richard Skinner )
(12) David Grant & Jaki Graham – “Could It Be I’m Falling In Love?”
( Hit at number 11 just mentioned by Simon Bates, no picture or caption )
(01) Philip Bailey & Phil Collins – “Easy Lover” (video)
(22) Third World – “Now That We’ve Found Love” (audience dancing/credits)

- The two opening acts are both now deceased - Glenn Frey died a couple of years ago aged 67, while Phyllis Nelson didn't make it to the current century, passing away at the age of 47.

- The Third World song had originally been a hit in 1978 - I don't know why it came back seven years later !

- It was quite rare for anyone in the top forty not to be represented either by a picture or a video as part of the countdown.

- So far, there seem to have been a significant number of American acts featured in the breakers - perhaps one reason for this new innovation was to save the expense of them coming to the UK to record live performances unless/until their hits became really big ?
CZB
Legend

Postby Graham76man » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:07 pm

I believe Phyllis Nelson never did a proper video for the song, so the TOTP performance is all there is of the track, as far as a proper video goes.
It's one of the few tracks from the video age that sold so much without having a video made of it.
Graham76man
Manager

Postby CZB » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:57 pm

Although the original plan was to repeat the unedited versions of the early 1980s editions again in very late night slots in the early part of this week - and the television guides reflected this - unfortunately schedule changes meant that they were replaced with the thirty-minute edits of the programmes of 17/12/81, 24/12/81, 31/12/81, 07/01/82, 21/01/82, 28/01/82 and 04/02/82. It is, however, hoped that the full length editions will resume next Monday night - with 11/02/82, 18/02/82, 04/03/1982, 11/03/82, 18/03/82, 25/03/82 currently billed for the week ahead.

But tonight, 1985 continues - with episode 1101 :

11/04/85 (Presented by Janice Long and John Peel)
(03) Tears For Fears – “Everybody Wants To Rule The World”
(07) USA For Africa – “We Are The World” (video)
(18) The Rah Band – “Clouds Across The Moon”
Breakers :
- (39) Foreigner – “That Was Yesterday” (video clip)
- (34) Billy Connolly – “Supergran” (video clip)
- (32) China Crisis – “Black Man Ray” (video clip)
- (27) Phil Collins – “One More Night” (video clip)
(25) The Dream Academy – “Life In A Northern Town”
(24) King – “Won’t You Hold My Hand Now”
(01) Philip Bailey & Phil Collins – “Easy Lover” (video)
(23) Pat Benatar – “Love Is A Battlefield” (audience dancing/credits)

The RAH Band hit was very different in style from their only previous one, from about a decade earlier - it was my favourite in this edition, and did as well, or even better, in the charts of several countries of continental Europe.

The Dream Academy hit was, of course, sampled very successfully by Dario G towards the end of the nineties in "Sunchyme".
CZB
Legend

Postby CZB » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:58 pm

Another flawed promise, this time of "17 hits in 33 minutes" at the start of episode 1103 tonight on BBC FOUR . . . . .

25/04/85 (Presented by Gary Davies and Mike Read)
(07) Bronski Beat & Marc Almond – “I Feel Love”
(04) Phil Collins – “One More Night” (video)
(06) The Rah Band – “Clouds Across The Moon”
( Charts 40 - 11 - Mike Read / Gary Davies )
Breakers:
- (36) New Model Army – “No Rest” (video clip)
- (34) Debarge – “Rhythm Of The Night” (video clip)
- (31) Eurythmics – “Would I Lie To You?” (video clip)
- (23) Freddie Mercury – “I Was Born To Love You” (video clip)
( Video clips of 10, 09, 08, 07 and 06 )
(05) David Grant & Jaki Graham – “Could It Be I’m Falling In Love?”
( Video clips of 04, 03 and 02 )
(01) USA For Africa – “We Are The World” (video)
( Very brief interview with Eurovision entrant Vikki Watson )
(20) Steve Arrington – “Feel So Real” (audience dancing/credits)

. . . . . as there are only five tracks from the rest of the top forty together with all of the top ten, making a total of fifteen. The Freddie Mercury single was one of my favourites of this week, and I thought it had a good chance of reaching the top ten - but it ground to a halt at number eleven.

I didn't have high hopes for our Eurovision entry, "Love Is" this year - although the juries gave it a fourth place finish on the night. In the UK chart, it spent only three weeks in the top 75, peaking at number 49.

Edit: I didn't discover this until the following day, but the link introducing the number one was removed because Mike Read used a wig and cigar to do a Jimmy Savile impression:

( the below link should go to the right point almost at the very end of the clip :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nd6zLxyRyU&t=438s )
CZB
Legend

Postby CZB » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:58 pm

Tonight, skipping past another MIke Smith show to episode 1105 . . . . .

09/05/85 (Presented by Janice Long and John Peel)
(13) The Style Council – “Walls Come Tumbling Down”
(11) Freddie Mercury – “I Was Born To Love You” (video)
(07) Steve Arrington – “Feel So Real”
(19) Godley & Crème – “Cry” (video)
(16) Curtis Hairston – “I Want Your Lovin’ (Just A Little Bit)”
( Charts 40 - 11 - John Peel / Janice Long )
Breakers:
- (30) Bryan Ferry – “Slave To Love” (video clip)
- (29) Kim Wilde – “Rage To Love” (video clip)
- (25) Divine – “Walk Like A Man” (video clip)
- (20) Jimmy Nail – “Love Don’t Live Here Anymore” (video clip)
( Video clips of 10, 09, 08, 07, 06, 05, 04 )
(03) Bronski Beat & Marc Almond – “I Feel Love”
( 02 mentioned, heard in background )
(01) Paul Hardcastle – “19” (video)
(31) The Untouchables – “Free Yourself” (audience dancing/credits)

. . . . . so, naturally, there were reappearances of some of the same singles that were on last night.

I didn't have even the slightest recollection of the playout track - not even recognising the title or artist as a hit song or hit-making act - so I'm a bit surprised to find that it spent six weeks in the top forty. It didn't climb very much higher than its position this week, however.
CZB
Legend

Postby CZB » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:55 pm

Tonight, episode 1106:

16/05/85 (Presented by Gary Davies and Peter Powell)
(22) Kim Wilde – “Rage To Love”
(14) Bryan Ferry – “Slave To Love” (video)
(20) Loose Ends – “Magic Touch”
(07) Duran Duran – “A View To A Kill” (video)
(08) Jimmy Nail – “Love Don’t Live Here Anymore”
( Charts 40 - 11 - Gary Davies / Peter Powell )
Breakers:
- (25) Depeche Mode – “Shake The Disease” (video clip)
- (24) Go West – “Call Me” (video clip)
- (15) Marillion – “Kayleigh” (video clip)
(01) Paul Hardcastle – “19” (video)
(23) Divine – “Walk Like A Man” (audience dancing/credits)

It may seem a strange decision to edit one of the studio performances out of the 7.30 repeat, making the edition appear even more dominated by videos and video clips than it was already! But perhaps it was felt that Loose Ends were a much less well-known act, with a less well-known song, than the hits whose videos were on either side of it.

I gather that Gary Davies is soon to return to Radio 2 on Friday nights, replacing Sara Cox on "Sounds Of The Eighties".
CZB
Legend

Postby JahWomble » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:14 pm

CZB wrote:(31) The Untouchables – “Free Yourself” (audience dancing/credits)

I didn't have even the slightest recollection of the playout track - not even recognising the title or artist as a hit song or hit-making act - so I'm a bit surprised to find that it spent six weeks in the top forty. It didn't climb very much higher than its position this week, however.
Free Yourself was a decent slab of LA ska that received quite a bit of airplay at the time: the promo proved a popular one on the video jukebox at our local college boozer. The Untouchables themselves also appeared as guests with Mike Read on Saturday Superstore when the record was at #26 in the charts.
Pulling habits out of a rat
JahWomble
Roadie

Postby CZB » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:59 pm

Tonight, episode 1107:

23/05/85 (Presented by Mike Read and Steve Wright)
(17) Go West – “Call Me”
(20) Katrina & The Waves – “Walking On Sunshine” (video)
(07) Marillion – “Kayleigh”
(24) The Power Station – “Get It On” (video)
(18) Gary Moore & Phil Lynott – “Out In The Fields”
Breakers:
- (35) Stephen Tin Tin Duffy – “Icing On The Cake” (video clip)
- (29) Scritti Politti – “The Word Girl” (video clip)
- (28) Animotion – “Obsession” (video clip)
(21) Depeche Mode – “Shake The Disease”
( Charts 40 - 11 - Mike Read )
(01) Paul Hardcastle – “19” (remix) (video)
(36) Skipworth & Turner – “Thinking About Your Love” (audience dancing/credits)

Studio performances this week of all three of the singles that were featured on video as breakers last week - I think that was quite unusual.

While Katrina and the Waves are probably still best known for this current hit - even more so than the song with which they won the Eurovision Song Contest in 1997 - I much preferred the less successful immediate follow-up, "Sun Street".
CZB
Legend

Postby CZB » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:55 pm

There doesn't seem to be a Saturday repeat scheduled for the 1985 episodes that BBC FOUR are airing tonight and tomorrow. The first of these, episode 1108, appears to be the only one of the whole year with just one presenter . . . . .

30/05/85 (Presented by Janice Long)
(20) Stephen Tin Tin Duffy – “Icing On The Cake”
(12) Animotion – “Obsession” (video)
(19) Billy Ocean – “Suddenly”
Breakers:
- (36) Propaganda – “Duel” (video clip)
- (32) Mai Tai – “History” (video clip)
- (27) Gary Numan – “Are ‘Friends’ Electric?” (live clip)
(28) OMD – “So In Love”
(15) Scritti Politti – “The Word Girl”
( Charts 40 - 11 - Janice Long )
(01) Paul Hardcastle – “19” (remix) (video)
(30) Five Star – “All Fall Down” (audience dancing/credits)

. . . . . because, as Janice Long revealed right at the beginning (without disclosing why), John Peel couldn't make it.

Before checking, I guessed that the birthday Stephen "Tin Tin" Duffy didn't necessarily want to celebrate was his 30th - but it turns out that it was his 25th. So he's now 57 - and that's not the only one of his singles that ever seems to get played on the radio nowadays !

The Propaganda single was the highlight of this edition for me. It became a much bigger hit in Belgium and the Netherlands - where the release was officially subtitled with the first three words of the lyrics, "Eye To Eye".

Disappointingly, googling "SCRITTI POLITTI ARCHERS" doesn't seem to reveal the circumstances of how, when or why the last band performing live had, according to Janice Long, featured on the long-running Radio 4 serial . . . . .
CZB
Legend

Postby CZB » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:58 pm

Tonight, episode 1109 :

06/06/85 (Presented by Simon Bates and Richard Skinner)
(05) Gary Moore & Phil Lynott – “Out In The Fields”
(04) The Crowd – “You’ll Never Walk Alone” (video)
(16) Mai Tai – “History”
(22) Kool & The Gang – “Cherish” (Montreux clip)
(21) Propaganda – “Duel”
Breakers :
- (29) Sister Sledge – “Frankie” (video clip)
- (25) Madonna – “Crazy For You” (video clip)
- (23) David Bowie – “Loving The Alien” (video clip)
( Charts 40 - 11 - Richard Skinner / Simon Bates )
(01) Paul Hardcastle – “19” (remix) (video/credits)

The next two number ones were featured in this line-up - I'm not sure that it would have been easy to predict both at the time !
CZB
Legend

Postby Blondini » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:02 pm

So BBC decide to chop to bits a charity record that hit number one just because Rolf Harris and DLT are on it? Ridiculous. Talk about offensive! To repeat a counter-argument i just made on Twitter, they're so concerned about victims of abuse but what about the victims/survivors of the Bradford fire? That's history - all they had to do was pixelate them. How is it so hard to do just that? :roll:
You don't even hear the perps talking in that clip so it's not exactly hard to mask!

On a slightly lighter note, TOTP Facts points out that Gary Moore's face still bore scars from a glass attack. Not sure Claudia from the excellent Propaganda was aware of this when doing her cutting motions. :o :P
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby CZB » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:58 pm

I had to fast-forward through parts of last Friday night's repeat, so I didn't notice what they had done to "You'll Never Walk Alone". I guess that, however ridiculous it is, the BBC FOUR policy is that neither the faces nor any other parts of Rolf Harris and Dave Lee Travis can be seen in these repeats - I doubt that anything will change their minds now.

13/06/85 (Presented by Dixie Peach and Mike Read)
(08) Scritti Politti – “The Word Girl”
(09) Madonna – “Crazy For You” (video)
(11) Sister Sledge – “Frankie”
Breakers:
- (30) Harold Faltermeyer – “Axel F” (video clip)
- (23) Bruce Springsteen – “I’m On Fire” (video clip)
- (16) Fine Young Cannibals – “Johnny Come Home” (video clip)
(04) Billy Ocean – “Suddenly”
( 40 - 11 - Mike Read )
(02) Marillion – “Kayleigh”
(01) The Crowd – “You’ll Never Walk Alone” (video)
(05) Animotion – “Obsession” (audience dancing/credits)

A short edition (episode 1110), made even shorter by the same butchering of the Crowd video as in the previous one. Clearly they couldn't even edit in shots from elsewhere in the performance to replace the few odd seconds here and there that they think some of their viewers may find offensive ! It was, as was made clear by Mike Read at the beginning, the first to be co-presented by Dixie Peach - but not many more were going to follow . . . . .

In some countries, including the Netherlands - where the two tracks AND "Dancing In The Dark" were all in the top ten at the same time! - "I'm On Fire" and "Born In The USA" were separate single releases for Bruce Springsteen rather than the double-A-side they were in the UK, where I think the former track received the majority or maybe all of the airplay, at least in the chart shows I listened to.
CZB
Legend

Postby Graham76man » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:55 pm

I remember Bruce Springsteen playing Bramall Lane in Sheffield that year. It was the first concert that I ever attended without going there. In fact I could hear it in the living room in our house. At first I thought someone had got the hi-fi on really loud. So I went outside to see who it was and could hear Born In The USA as clear as a bell. Several neighbours could also hear it too and were in the street. Then one of them said it's the Springsteen Concert at United's ground. Wow we were three to four miles away from that! On the Manor!!
Apparently a freak atmospheric event helped the sound travel much greater than it would normally. It even made the news with people claiming they could hear it over 10 miles away.
It was like having a hi-fi system blasting in the street, you could hear everything. Even the crowd cheering.
Graham76man
Manager

Postby CZB » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:00 pm

Tonight, episode 1111 :

20/06/85 (Presented by Gary Davies and Janice Long)
(15) Fine Young Cannibals – “Johnny Come Home”
(28) Sting – “If You Love Somebody Set Them Free”
(09) Mai Tai – “History”
Breakers:
- (30) Paul Young – “Tomb Of Memories” (video clip)
- (24) Tears For Fears – “Head Over Heels” (video clip)
- (12) Marti Webb – “Ben” (video clip)
(26) China Crisis – “King In A Catholic Style (Wake Up)”
( Charts 40 - 11 - Janice Long / Gary Davies )
(10) Harold Faltermeyer – “Axel F”
(01) The Crowd – “You’ll Never Walk Alone” (video)
(22) Prince - "Paisley Park" (video/credits)

The Marti Webb single was the only one of these that I bought - her "Ben" seemed a vast improvement on the Michael Jackson version. It was featured in full in the next edition - which won't be seen again, as Mike Smith was one of the presenters !
CZB
Legend

Postby Blondini » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:19 pm

Someone on Digital Spy did an edit of The Crowd video that BBC could easily have done.

His side-by-side comparison video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__k1bpcZVvM

CZB wrote:In some countries, including the Netherlands - where the two tracks AND "Dancing In The Dark" were all in the top ten at the same time! - "I'm On Fire" and "Born In The USA" were separate single releases for Bruce Springsteen rather than the double-A-side they were in the UK, where I think the former track received the majority or maybe all of the airplay, at least in the chart shows I listened to.
I thought Born In The USA had the most attention in UK. It's certainly the more played song from 87 on... :o
I presumed Born didn't have a video yet.
Last edited by Blondini on Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby CZB » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:56 pm

Advancing another two weeks to episode 1113 tonight:

04/07/85 (Presented by Simon Bates and Richard Skinner)
(19) Dead Or Alive – “In Too Deep”
(12) Tears For Fears – “Head Over Heels” (Montreux clip)
(25) The Damned – “The Shadow Of Love"
( Charts 40 - 11 - Richard Skinner / Simon Bates )
(11) Fine Young Cannibals – “Johnny Come Home”
Breakers:
- (33) Simply Red – “Money’s Too Tight (To Mention)” (video clip)
- (30) The Cult – “She Sells Sanctuary” (video clip)
- (27) The Style Council – “Come To Milton Keynes” (video clip)
- (26) Opus - "Live Is Life" (video clip)
(01) Sister Sledge – “Frankie”
(28) Glenn Frey – “Smuggler's Blues” (audience dancing/credits)

Apart from the number one and the breaker from Austria's Opus (the only one from this bunch that I bought!) , this seems very much a collection of less well-known hits by acts that have at least one considerably bigger success to their credit . . . . .
CZB
Legend

Postby CZB » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:55 pm

And tonight, episode 1114 :

11/07/85 (Presented by Janice Long and John Peel)
(18) The Conway Brothers – “Turn It Up”
(10) Eurythmics – “There Must Be An Angel (Playing With My Heart)”
(15) Opus – “Live Is Life”
Breakers:
- (35) Russ Abbot – “All Night Holiday” (video clip)
- (34) Steve Arrington – “Dancin’ In The Key Of Life” (video clip)
- (27) Jaki Graham – “Round And Around” (video clip)
( Video clips of 10 / 09 / 08 )
(07) Denise LaSalle – “My Toot Toot”
( Video clips of 06 / 05 / 04 / 03 / 02 )
(01) Sister Sledge – “Frankie”
(37) Animal Nightlife – “Love Is Just The Great Pretender” (audience dancing/credits)

The Opus single spent forty-four consecutive weeks of 1985 in the Europarade, as its success travelled slowly around the continent - starting in their Austrian homeland, spreading to Germany and Switzerland and so on. Its time in the UK chart was quite early in the year compared to some other countries ! The immediate follow-up, of course, did nothing at all in the UK - and little or nothing more elsewhere. It was called "Flying High" - although I recall seeing it misprinted, perhaps in one of the Europarades printed in "Music Week", as "Flying Fish".

Perhaps surprisingly, Russ Abbot did manage to follow up the major success "Atmosphere". "All Night Holiday" was on its way to a peak of number 20.
CZB
Legend

Postby CZB » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:56 pm

Passing another Mike Smith edition to arrive at episode 1116 tonight:

25/07/85 (Presented by Gary Davies and Dixie Peach)
(36) Arrow – “Long Time”
(04) Madonna – “Into The Groove” (video)
(30) Feargal Sharkey – “Loving You”
( Charts 40 - 11 - Gary Davies )
Breakers:
- (35) The Cure – “In Between Days” (video clip)
- (25) The Pointer Sisters – “Dare Me” (Montreux clip)
- (15) Dire Straits – “Money For Nothing” (video clip)
(10) Trans X – “Living On Video”
( Video clips of the rest of the top ten)
(01) Eurythmics – “There Must Be An Angel (Playing With My Heart)”
(07) Opus – “Live Is Life” (audience dancing/credits)

The Madonna singles really came thick and fast in 1985 - this being one of eight from her that all reached the top five during that year . . . . .

"Living On Video" was one of my favourite releases ever by a Canadian act - the UK, and other countries too, got this remixed version a couple of years after it was originally recorded, in 1983.

Although the opening link in which the presenters' respective "suntans" were referenced was seen in the "Story of 1985" documentary, it was edited out here - with replacement not-quite-lookalike captions of their names added !
CZB
Legend

Postby CZB » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:55 pm

And a fortnight later again, after yet another Mike Smith edition, it's episode 1118 tonight :

08/08/85 (Presented by Simon Bates and Richard Skinner)
(25) Amazulu – “Excitable”
(04) Dire Straits – “Money For Nothing” (video)
(31) Princess – “Say I’m Your Number One”
( Charts 40 - 11 - Simon Bates / Richard Skinner )
Breakers:
- (36) Maze featuring Frankie Beverly – “Too Many Games” (video clip)
- (28) Phil Collins – “Take Me Home” (video clip)
- (07) UB40 & Chrissie Hynde – “I Got You Babe” (video clip)
(30) Go West – “Goodbye Girl”
(01) Madonna – “Into The Groove” (video)
(05) Madonna – “Holiday” (audience dancing/credits)

Perhaps by this time the hits appearing as "breakers" and those that were performed in the studio depended to some extent on which acts were available to do the latter and which weren't . . . . .

Unusual for two different hits by the same artist to be featured in the same show - although I suppose it would be almost as rare for anyone to have two hits in the top five at once, neither of them on the way down. And Madonna was about to match Frankie Goes To Hollywood's feat of a year earlier, by being at number one and number two in the same week !
CZB
Legend

Return to TV