Top Of The Pops

Postby Blondini » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:01 pm

The Special AKA singer Stan Campbell was sectioned in 2002 after assaulting teenage girls. :o
More BBC hypocrisy - though they would say this isn't common knowledge and they might not have known themselves until TOTP Facts just tweeted it.
Campbell had a good solo single in 87 called Years Go By which i recently charted on Retro Charts.

Article on his downfall:
https://www.thefreelibrary.com/RISE+AND ... a084865851

Captain Sensible's best single is about the Falklands War.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Blondini » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:30 pm

Missing performances from 12th April DLT edition:

Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Blondini » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:32 pm

Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby CZB » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:54 pm

So tonight it's on to episode 1050 (it doesn't seem very long since the repeat run passed episode 1000!):

19/04/84 (Presented by Gary Davies and Peter Powell)
(09) The Special AKA – “Nelson Mandela”
(02) Thompson Twins – “You Take Me Up” (video)
(15) Blancmange – “Don’t Tell Me”
(05) Queen – “I Want To Break Free” (video)
(26) The Bluebells – “I’m Falling”
Jonathan King with the US charts:
- Michael Jackson – “Beat It” (video clip)
- Weird Al Yankovic – “Eat It” (video clip)
- The Pointer Sisters – “Automatic” (video clip)
- Phil Collins – “Against All Odds (Take A Look At Me Now)” (video clip)

( Charts 40 - 25 - Peter Powell )
(25) Nik Kershaw – “Dancing Girls”
( Charts 24 - 11 - Gary Davies )
(19) OMD – “Locomotion”
( Charts 10 - 01 - Peter Powell / Gary Davies )
(01) Lionel Richie – “Hello” (video)
(11) Kool & The Gang – “(When You Say You Love Somebody) In The Heart” (audience dancing/credits)

The OMD single wasn't among my favourites from them, but it went on to be one of their biggest successes in the UK and elsewhere. All of the tracks featured by Jonathan King this week became hits in the UK - even Weird Al's parody of Michael Jackson's !
CZB
Legend

Postby Blondini » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:08 pm

Sadly, ZTT's Propaganda and the awesome Dr Mabuse (hilariously mispronounced on the rundown) was not featured on the show. Not sure if the famous b&w video was shown or just a playout on DLT ep last week? They did appear on The Tube and other shows in Europe so i don't know why unless it was pure (un)-luck of the draw. They would appear the following year with Duel.

Here then is the second video with a performance.

Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby CZB » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:07 pm

Blondini wrote:Dr Mabuse...Not sure if the famous b&w video was shown or just a playout on DLT ep last week?
Neither - this was one of I think quite a few tracks in the top 40 we saw counted down tonight that never featured on TOTP ! The previous week's playout was Rufus & Chaka Khan – “Ain’t Nobody” - and there were were only three hits featured before the top ten videos, especially the excessively long one for Lionel Ritchie's "Hello". The show began with Scritti Politti – “Wood Beez (Pray Like Aretha Franklin)", followed by Dead or Alive and the Cure with the performances you linked to above.

Edit - I just read elsewhere that apparently the reason the DLT episode was shortened by fifteen minutes was so that the last episode of David Attenborough's ''The Living Planet'' series (55 minutes) could be shown that night instead of the scheduled "The Making Of The Living Planet" (40 minutes). The former needed to be postponed because of a strike in the previous week.
CZB
Legend

Postby Blondini » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:47 pm

That's good info. Thanks.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby CZB » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:53 pm

Episode 1051 tonight :

26/04/84 (Presented by Simon Bates and Janice Long)
(36) Sandie Shaw & The Smiths – “Hand In Glove”
(02) Phil Collins – “Against All Odds (Take A Look At Me Now)”
(39) Belle & The Devotions – “Love Games”
(22) Bob Marley & The Wailers – “One Love - People Get Ready” (video)

(05) Duran Duran – “The Reflex”
(35) Julio Iglesias & Willie Nelson – “To All The Girls I’ve Loved Before” (US TV clip)
( Charts 40 - 26 - Simon Bates )
(30) Echo & The Bunnymen – “Silver”
( Charts 25 - 11 - Janice Long )
(13) The Flying Pickets – “When You’re Young And In Love”
( Charts 10 - 01 - Janice Long / Simon Bates )
(01) Lionel Richie – “Hello” (video)
(20) The Pointer Sisters – “Automatic” (video/audience dancing/credits)

Sandie Shaw had won the Eurovision Song Contest in 1967 - but Belle and the Devotions didn't win in 1984. I had to look up both their position on the night - seventh - and their UK chart peak, which was number 11.

Quite a few of the more "novelty" acts who reached number one never managed to follow up their success - but the Flying Pickets did go on to return to the top ten a few months after their Christmas chart-topper. However, three further singles all ground to a halt in the bottom thirty of the top 100.

So how many years' difference were there between the oldest duo in the top forty this week ? Perhaps surprisingly, eleven ! I thought it would be more. At this time, Julio Iglesias was 40 and Willie Nelson was 51 - they are now 73 and 84. I must admit, I thought Willie Nelson had died some time ago - but I must have been mixing him up with someone else . . . . .
CZB
Legend

Postby Blondini » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:55 pm

The Smiths were not actually credited on the release of that cover of their debut single. Basically because Moz isn't on it. Although he wasn't happy that Shaw got 40% of the profits (she changed some lyrics)!

Anyone else spot the Duran gaff? - #2 during their performance but actually #5. :lol:
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby CZB » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:53 pm

They certainly dropped the occasional clanger with the captioning !

Tonight, episode 1052 :

03/05/84 (Presented by Mike Read and Steve Wright)
(06) OMD – “Locomotion”
(08) Blancmange – “Don’t Tell Me” (video)
(18) New Order – “Thieves Like Us”
(28) Kenny Loggins – “Footloose” (video)
( Charts 40 - 25 - Mike Read )
(25) Jocelyn Brown – “Somebody Else’s Guy”
( Charts 24 - 11 - Mike Read )
(19) The Human League – “The Lebanon”
( Charts 10 - 02 - Mike Read )
(01) Duran Duran – “The Reflex” (video)
(14) Nik Kershaw – “Dancing Girls” (audience dancing/credits)

Nothing at all that I bought in this week's edition ! Their interesting previous attempt at performing "Blue Monday" live evidently didn't prevent New Order from doing the same with this follow-up single - which didn't climb any higher and disappeared very quickly ( 21 18 22 38 59 ).

This one was pretty much complete even at 7.30pm - there may just be a longer playout in the late night repeats,
CZB
Legend

Postby Blondini » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:11 pm

And just weeks after Propaganda were denied a spot so was the majestic Cocteau Twins song which i won't spam here.
The best parts of that New Order song were left out - the extended keyboard melody. Apparently Peter Hook's bass caused feedback on the cameras and OMD had to redo their mime. :lol:

Karma for banning Relax. Mike Read had a gigantic flop this week in 1984. Mike, you're wrong.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby CZB » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:55 pm

Tonight, episode 1053 :

10/05/84 (presented by David Jensen and John Peel)
(12) Belle & The Devotions – “Love Games”
(03) Queen – “I Want To Break Free” (video)
(07) The Flying Pickets – “When You’re Young & In Love”
(06) Bob Marley & The Wailers – “One Love-People Get Ready” (video)
( Charts 40 - 26 - John Peel )
(28) Terri Wells – “I’ll Be Around”
( Charts 25 - 11 - David Jensen )
(04) The Pointer Sisters – “Automatic” (video/Zoo)
( Charts 10 - 01 - David Jensen / John Peel )
(01) Duran Duran – “The Reflex” (video)
(24) Jeffrey Osborne – “Stay With Me Tonight” (audience dancing/credits)

Not much here that we haven't seen before quite recently. Almost everything here was at its peak, or would climb to it the following week. In the chart a fortnight after this one, the Pointer Sisters' hit was the only one not moving down.

David Jensen mentioning an imminent album from the Flying Pickets made me check to see how it fared . . . . . highest position 11, eleven weeks in the album chart. That doesn't sound particularly good for an act that had recently had the Christmas number one. Perhaps many music buyers felt that either or both singles would contain as much Flying Pickets music as anyone could ever need !
CZB
Legend

Postby CZB » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:55 pm

Almost two weeks after the last repeat, on tonight to episode 1054 :

17/05/84 (Presented by Simon Bates & Peter Powell)
(16) Break Machine – “Break Dance Party”
(08) Deniece Williams – “Let’s Hear It For The Boy”
(22) Marillion – “Assassing” (video)
(28) Hazell Dean – “Searchin’ (I Gotta Find A Man)”
( Charts 40 - 25 - Simon Bates )
(25) Womack & Womack – “Love Wars”
( Charts 24 - 11 - Peter Powell )
(29) Ultravox – “Dancing With Tears In My Eyes” (video)
( Charts 10 - 01 - Peter Powell / Simon Bates )
(01) Duran Duran – “The Reflex”
(06) Kenny Loggins – “Footloose” (audience dancing/credits)

The Deniece Williams track was sure to be a "future number one", according to Simon Bates (twice) and Peter Powell (once) ? No, it wasn't to be . . . . . it would only manage to spend two weeks at number two.

My favourite by a long way from this edition - Hazell Dean. "Searchin'" had taken quite a while to become a success since its original release. It would spend another three weeks climbing to a peak of number six.

I think all of the acts appearing in this edition are still alive thirty-three years later - except for Cecil, the male half of Womack and Womack, who passed away in 2013 at the age of sixty-five.

Note that "Relax" is beginning to make its steady climb back up the chart now ! Another seven weeks, and it will be at number two again . . . . .
CZB
Legend

Postby CZB » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:54 pm

Skipping two more weeks to reach episode 1057 tonight:

07/06/84 (Presented by David Jensen and John Peel)
(05) Spandau Ballet – “Only When You Leave”
(08) Howard Jones – “Pearl In The Shell”
(09) Evelyn Thomas – “High Energy”
(29) Bananarama – “Rough Justice”
( Charts 25 - 11 - David Jensen )
(13) Bronski Beat – “Smalltown Boy”
( Charts 10 - 02 - John Peel / David Jensen / John Peel )
(01) Wham! – “Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go”
(19) Sister Sledge – “Thinking Of You” (audience dancing/credits)

"High Energy", a bigger hit in several other European countries than in the UK, was probably as good as it got in this edition - all the other acts had many more successes than Evelyn Thomas, but rarely or never impressed me with them . . . . .

Edit: This would appear to be David Jensen's last "Top of the Pops" - he was about to leave Radio One and start to present the rival chart show on a lot of the independent local radio stations as an alternative to the continuing Sunday evening Top 40 programme ( Richard Skinner taking over from Simon Bates as its presenter at much the same time ).
CZB
Legend

Postby CZB » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:56 pm

Tonight, episode 1058 :

14/06/84 (Presented by Peter Powell and Mike Read)
(20) The Art Company – “Susanna”
(08) Elton John – “Sad Songs (Say So Much)” (video)
(10) The Smiths – “Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now”
(27) Rod Stewart – “Infatuation” (video)
(33) Scritti Politti – “Absolute”
(21) Ozzy Osbourne – “So Tired” (video)
( Charts 40 - 26 - Peter Powell )
(31) Nick Heyward – “Love All Day”
( Charts 25 - 11 - Mike Read )
(18) Nik Kershaw – “I Won’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me”
( Charts 10 - 02 - Mike Read / Peter Powell )
(01) Frankie Goes To Hollywood – “Two Tribes”
(15) Michael Jackson – “Farewell My Summer Love” (audience dancing/credits)

The opening act were known as "VOF de Kunst" in the Netherlands - which translates exactly as "The Art Company" ! At this point in 1984, I had been listening regularly to two of the Dutch charts on Hilversum-3 on medium wave for about a year - the TROS Top 50 on Thursdays and the Radio Veronica Stichtings Nederlandse Top 40 on Fridays - so I knew of this single already from its major success in Holland towards the end of 1983. In Dutch it was spelled "Suzanne", but was pronounced the same way as "Susanna" - and didn't actually reach number one in either of these charts. However, it did get there for one week in the "Nationale Hitparade" - which at this time was the only Dutch chart based purely on sales.

Very different from almost all of his other output, "So Tired" was the one and only Ozzy Osbourne single I ever bought !
CZB
Legend

Postby Blondini » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:44 pm

From TOTP Facts:

TopOfThePops Facts‏ @TOTPFacts 14m14 minutes ago
More
We’ve skipped the 21/6/84 #TOTP. The opening act was Gary Glitter, plus an OMD video froze during the original live transmission.
Anyone have footage of this? :lol:

Missing clips from said ep:

Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Blondini » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:45 pm

Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Blondini » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:46 pm

Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby CZB » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:54 pm

Tonight, episode 1060 :

28/06/84 (Presented by Andy Peebles and Steve Wright)
(36) The Bluebells – “Young At Heart”
(02) Nik Kershaw – “I Won’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me” (video)
(29) The Human League – “Life On Your Own”
(33) Bob Marley & The Wailers – “Waiting In Vain” (video)
Jonathan King in Rio de Janeiro with the US charts:
- Billy Idol - "Eyes Without A Face" (video clip)
- Laura Branigan - "Self Control" (video clip)
- Prince - "When Doves Cry" (video clip)
- Ronnie and Mike Biggs - brief interview
- Mike Biggs & The Magic Balloon Gang - "Superfantastico", number one in Brazil (video clip)
- Cyndi Lauper - "Time After Time" (video clip)
Billy Idol - brief interview with Steve Wright

(40) Tina Turner – “What’s Love Got To Do With It?” (video)
( Charts 40 - 28 - Andy Peebles )
(28) Alison Moyet – “Love Resurrection”
( Charts 27 - 11 - Andy Peebles )
(19) Scritti Politti – “Absolute”
( Charts 10 - 01 - Andy Peebles )
(07) Michael Jackson – “Farewell My Summer Love” (audience dancing/credits)

It would have been difficult indeed for anyone in 1984 to pick out the future number one among this week's performances . . . . .

I had to investigate whether it was the "train robber" Ronnie Biggs that featured in the Jonathan King segment of this show - apparently it was ! His Wikipedia page states :

" Biggs's son by de Castro, Michael Biggs, eventually became a member of the successful children's programme and music band Turma do Balão Mágico, bringing a new source of income to his father. "

That segment, including the Brasilian number one by that group, can be seen here:

Blondini wrote:
TopOfThePops Facts‏ @TOTPFacts 14m14 minutes ago
More
We’ve skipped the 21/6/84 #TOTP. The opening act was Gary Glitter, plus an OMD video froze during the original live transmission.
Anyone have footage of this? :lol:
I doubt it - i guess sourcing another copy of the video is beyond their budget, as an opening performance by Gary Glitter was edited out of a previous repeat !
CZB
Legend

Postby Blondini » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:07 pm

:o
That's some amazing footage. It's not exactly Superfantastico, is it? :lol:

So Gary Glitter was on the show despite being as low as 48? Another non-chart song surprisingly late in the show's run. :o
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Blondini » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:19 pm

And the Associates song only peaked at 43. How odd that both were featured in 1984.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby CZB » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:32 pm

Blondini wrote:So Gary Glitter was on the show despite being as low as 48? Another non-chart song surprisingly late in the show's run. :o
Yes indeed - I hadn't spotted that ! I just had a quick look through the line-ups for the rest of 1984, and I only see three other tracks from below the top forty that are on the way. All, I think, went on to reach the top forty - unlike the Associates, who only advanced one more place after being featured when at number 44 . . . . .
CZB
Legend

Postby MusicRecords » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:11 am

Was the original broadcast or at least during the 90s/early00s filmed in London? Curious...and was the general audience just basically public people? Like how u can go see things like Good Morning America and whatnot...?
MusicRecords
Superstar

Postby Thriller » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:36 am

CZB wrote:"High Energy", a bigger hit in several other European countries than in the UK, was probably as good as it got in this edition - all the other acts had many more successes than Evelyn Thomas, but rarely or never impressed me with them . . . . ..
What a fantastic song! :o
Thriller

Postby CZB » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:55 pm

Tonight, episode 1062 :

12/07/84 (Presented by John Peel and Tommy Vance)
(33) Shakatak – “Down On The Street”
(10) Tina Turner – “What’s Love Got To Do With It?” (video)
(05) neil – “Hole In My Shoe”
(13) Alison Moyet – “Love Resurrection” (video)
(28) Phil Fearon & Galaxy – “Everybody’s Laughing”
(26) Echo & The Bunnymen – “Seven Seas”
( Charts 25 - 11 - Tommy Vance )
(14) The Bluebells – “Young At Heart”
( Charts 10 - 01 - Tommy Vance / John Peel )
(20) The Jacksons – “State Of Shock” (audience dancing/credits)

There can't be very many editions like this one from which, during the thirty-three years that have since elapsed, both of the presenters have died.

Despite making a very high entry at number five this week, "neil" (actor Nigel Planer) wasn't going to go on to reach number one. It seems a bit strange for this performance to have been removed for the 7.30pm version rather than one of the two videos on either side of it !

New graphics now for the chart rundown - I preferred the old ones.

I've recently heard it suggested elsewhere that, despite never being restricted from radio airplay, this Alison Moyet song is possibly much more filthy than some that were banned !

Even more recently, I discovered with some surprise which well-known group recorded "Young At Heart" originally for one of their albums, before it ever became a hit for the Bluebells . . . . .
CZB
Legend

Return to TV