Tonight, advancing three weeks to episode 1079 :
08/11/84 (Presented by Simon Bates and Richard Skinner)
(10) Limahl – “Never Ending Story”
(07) Status Quo – “The Wanderer” (video)
(29) Depeche Mode – “Blasphemous Rumours”
(08) Alison Moyet – “All Cried Out” (video)
(09) Billy Ocean – “Caribbean Queen”
(21) Chicago – “Hard Habit To Break” (video)
( Charts 40 - 26 Richard Skinner )
(32) Gary Numan – “Berserker”
( Charts 25 - 11 - Simon Bates )
(22) Eugene Wilde – “Gotta Get You Home Tonight”
( Charts 10 - 02 - Simon Bates / Richard Skinner )
(01) Chaka Khan – “I Feel For You” (video)
(11) ZZ Top – “Gimme All Your Lovin’” (audience dancing/credits)
An interesting extract from a Wikipedia page relevant to the opening performance:
Beth Anderson (born 1954) is an American singer and voice actress from Lexington, Kentucky.
Anderson performed main vocals for Limahl's No. 1 hit "The NeverEnding Story", the theme song for the 1984 eponymous film, though she was not credited as a featured artist. Her lyrics were recorded in America separately from Limahl's, and accordingly she did not appear in the music video. One of Limahl's back-up singers, Mandy Newton, lip-synced Anderson's lyrics for the music video.
. . . . . and also, it would seem, for this "Top Of The Pops" appearance ! This very high-ranking single in my own all-time chart is almost unique in my collection, in that it fades in
at the beginning as well as fading out at the end.
While Billy Ocean's hit was "Caribbean Queen" in the UK, Ireland and France, it was successfully released instead as "European Queen" everywhere else in continental Europe - and there was another version, "African Queen", with which he charted in South Africa. I believe the lyrics were exactly the same in all three, except at the points when the nationality of the queen was mentioned.