Glee

Moderators: Spartan, menime123

Postby menime123 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:15 pm

GetBack wrote:I don't think I'll be able to see the show the same way again! It used to be so much fun but now, its tragic and sad! :cry: :cry: :cry:
I’m due a rewatch because I bought the complete box set, but it’s tainted in a number of ways. The episode where Puck wants to make an underage sex tape will be particularly icky to watch now.

I still loved the show and it did open up a new genre on tv for a short moment in time.
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby RayRay » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:21 pm

GetBack wrote:I don't think I'll be able to see the show the same way again! It used to be so much fun but now, its tragic and sad! :cry: :cry: :cry:
I know. Two young men dying in just a few short years.... both so tragic. Fame doesn't bring happiness. :(
RayRay
Legend

Postby Spartan » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:07 am

It’s such a sad thing to happen, despite all his crimes. Such a waste of life.

I rewatched the show a few months ago and obviously felt sad about the Cory situation and this only compiles to that. Fortunately I’m still able to enjoy the show and am able to disassociate character from actor. When I’m watching it I’m thinking of Puck (who was a strong representation of hyper masculine heterosexual acceptance of homosexuality) and not Mark Salling (who committed an atrocious crime).
Spartan
Legend

Postby menime123 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:27 pm

Oh I agree - what Mark did shouldn’t detract from the show, which I do love. I still think there’s room for a small revival at some point for a catch up with certain characters, but we’ll see.
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby Spartan » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:04 pm

I think a reunion could work, it’ll be all about Rachel and Blaine though as they were Murphy’s clear, two favourites.
Spartan
Legend

Postby BehindBreakaway » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:00 pm

What mark did won't stop me enjoying the series. Its still one of my favourites and I'll still rewatch it. It just makes some scenes a little uncomfortable.
3 months and I'm still sober, picked all my weeds but kept the flowers!
BehindBreakaway
Manager

Postby menime123 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:26 pm

Spartan wrote:I think a reunion could work, it’ll be all about Rachel and Blaine though as they were Murphy’s clear, two favourites.
Well the ending had Rachel successful and Kurt & Blaine doing something together (teaching?) Give it a few years and I’d love to see what they are up to - if there is an audience. They could all go back to the school to stop it closing (Sue’s latest scheme) but I feel like that’s happened before.
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby Spartan » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:26 pm

The epilogue at the end of the series finale kind of wrapped up the whole show really nicely and everyone got a vaguely good ending. I’d hate for that to be undone with a shoddy reunion. If they do it, they’d have to do it right.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Spartan » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:54 pm

https://instagram.com/p/BevVZtDHMfW/

Found this on Instagram. The irony.
Spartan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Wed May 02, 2018 5:19 am

I was supposed to catch up on this show ages ago, but seeing the Troubletones' "Rumour Has It/Someone Like You" and "I Will Survive/Survivor" mash-ups reminded me how urgent closing the chapter with this show was. So onto the first three episodes of season six I went!

6x1 was a bit meh, punctuated by the off-putting Dave and Blaine pairing. I suppose it was poetic to bring Rachel and Kurt back to play the mentor role for the students that Mr. Schue played for them years prior, but it was a weak opening episode.

6x2 brought back the original squad, who brought back the magic for me! From them forgetting to wait on Tina who was parking the car, to Santana regretting bringing the twins onboard, it felt like the show I fell in love with almost a decade ago. The new characters introduced were a mixed bag for me. Roderick seems decent, and I really like Jane, but 'post-modern gay' Spencer was a bit annoying (super cute, though). The music was much better this episode for me, too. One of the key magical elements of Glee is how they put a twist on popular songs that make you appreciate their cover, but also revisit the original and appreciate elements you'd initially overlooked. All their interpretations were spot-on, sans "Viva Voce", but I really lost it with "Home". They slayed that one!

6x3 featured another quality Santana read. I miss those epic digs from her that go on and on. It was nice that Becky ended the episode somewhat tolerable. It was weird to see the villain from 13 Reasons Why be such a sweetheart here. Big emotional moment from Coach Beiste, too! The Sue/Coach Beiste scenes were too sweet! :cry: The music was solid as well. I especially enjoyed the "Will You Love Me Tomorrow/Head over Feet" mash-up.
Akini's Top 100 Songs of 2018: [60-51]

The broken world waits in darkness for the light that is you.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Spartan » Wed May 02, 2018 2:18 pm

Yes Akini!!! I didn’t realise you hasn’t finished watching the show. S6 is a mixed bag but glad you enjoyed “Home”, I was literally obsessed with that song.
Spartan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu May 03, 2018 1:58 am

6x4 was a bit slow, and ridiculous in parts. The Sue hypnotising Sam scenes were meh, and Sue being a massive Klaine shipper was perhaps even less believable. I'm intrigued by the Kurt/Oliver romance, though. Interestingly enough, the actor that plays Oliver also played the role of casual fling to another uber young gay character (Ian Gallagher in Shameless USA).

6x5 had three of my all-time favourite 80s classics. Sue has great taste in music. :lol: Kitty won the episode for me, though. I always loved how she has a similar ruthlessness as Santana, but manages not to come off as a shameless parody of her. Spencer's likeability rose a few points, and the Klaine fan service continued to not as irritating an extent as I anticipated.

6x6 was so heartwarming! Brittany won the episode for me. Loved how she defended her relationship with Santana to Santana's abuela. (Interesting how the actress that plays Santana's abuela also plays Jane's abuela in Jane the Virgin, where her character's name is also Alma; she literally could stay in character, wardrobe and all, moving from one set to the other). I find it hilarious that the writers are trying to make Sam/Rachel a thing - she has about as much sexual chemistry with Kurt - but best episode of the three I saw tonight. It seems that for every three episodes I watch, there's a fantastic one, a solid one, and a mediocre one. I guess this is what Glee became post-S4.

Spartan wrote:Yes Akini!!! I didn’t realise you hasn’t finished watching the show. S6 is a mixed bag but glad you enjoyed “Home”, I was literally obsessed with that song.
Yeah, school, then work took over, and Glee got lost in the shuffle of newer, fresher, and, to be honest, better shows, but I vowed to return to it some day!

Do you prefer the original, or the Glee Cast cover? Both are amazing, but I gotta give the Glee guys and girls the edge.

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri May 04, 2018 7:40 am

6x7 had the fun party for Rachel, the further delayed Klaine reunion, and the return of Unique! She nailed the lead vocals on "I Know Where I've Been".

6x8 was funny. Klaine moves from barely back together to booking a double wedding with Santana and Brittany. :lol: The vows were cute, though, and Mercedes nailed "At Last". The "Hey Ya!" number was well done, and I enjoyed the Troubletones featuring the mothers on "I'm So Excited!".

6x9 was absolutely fantastic, my favourite of the season so far. Myron slayed the episode. When he did "Lose My Breath", my jaw dropped. He's such a fireball, and, yes, it's uber ridiculous that he was able to join the club in the end, and he does have some diva antics, but he's my favourite addition to the season six cast. Spencer and Alistair make a cute couple, so yay for them. Also yay at Mason for extricating himself from his sister's clutches; they did have a weird Jaime/Cersei thing vibe, but I like what the episode did for their relationship - separate them but have them still love and appreciate one another from a healthy distance. Funnily enough, when Mason was singing "I Want to Break Free", I couldn't help but think how perfect Ariana's "Break Free" would be for a Bar Mitzvah, then boom, Myron goes with that number as his coming out song. Myron >>>

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Spartan » Fri May 04, 2018 6:53 pm

Child Star is probably one of my favourites from S6. It really showcases all the new kids, and they have such great potential - love the twins, and Spencer is hot as balls.

Hated the wedding episode, it felt really forced to shove Klaine in there (a general observation about the whole of S6 though).
Spartan
Legend

Postby BehindBreakaway » Sat May 05, 2018 1:07 am

I've started rewatching. Season 1 is so so good. I forgot how good actually.
3 months and I'm still sober, picked all my weeds but kept the flowers!
BehindBreakaway
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Sat May 05, 2018 9:20 pm

6x10 was good. Pairing Sue with Vocal Adrenaline is one of the few changes that makes sense this season. Dalton Academy burning down was 'convenient' indeed, but it'll be fun to see how the Warblers mesh with the New Directions.

6x11 made me scream. Jesse St. James!!! I loved his duet with Rachel on "Listen to Your Heart". Rachel always finds a way to remind me that she's the best singer on the show.

6x12 was terrific. I love how they took us back to where it all started. I appreciate how Ryan Murphy shared new talent with us over the years, but the original Glee club cast is head and shoulders above any of the subsequent line-ups, and seeing how their paths led them to the club was heartwarming. The episode also reminded me how intolerable Rachel was in the beginning. :lol: Will's audition notes were pretty funny as well. :lol:

6x13 had an early focus on Will that I didn't care too much for, but the Mercedes and Sue exit performances were excellent! Mercedes gave a stellar vocal performance, and Sue picked the best song of the season. It's cute that Mercedes started the show saying she wanted to be Beyoncé, and ended being Beyoncé's opening act on tour. The Klaine performance with the little kids was cute, and Rachel winning a Tony and marrying Jesse St. James felt like a believable and fitting end to her story arc. The last scene with all the show's past and present members made me tear up a bit.

Watching this final season brought back so many memories. 2009-2012 Glee was phenomenal, but even at this show's worst, it was still the most inspiring, all-inclusive series on television, and I can only imagine the millions of lives it touched all over the world. It's certainly left an indelible mark in my own life. Glee introduced me to some phenomenal classics, and reworked and mashed up some of my modern mainstream faves to stunning effect. I feel like I grew up with the show, even though I did kinda abandon it towards the end. I think the show was well-intentioned, ambitious, and a hot mess even in the best of seasons, but there will never be a show like it. It's special and I'd contend that it's one of the most legendary series of the new millennium. #GoodbyeGlee #ThreeYearsLatebutBetterLateThanNever #ThanksforGivingTeenageMeSomethingtoLookForwardtoonTuesdays #ThanksforKlainebutSpecificallyEarlyKlaine #ThanksfortheBrilliantRumourHasItSomeoneLikeYouMashUp #ThankYoufortheHotGuys #ThankYoufortheTalentedGirlswithPipes #ThankYoufortheMemories #ThankYoufortheMusic

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Spartan » Tue May 08, 2018 7:29 am

I liked S6. I definitely preferred it to S5 (the back half of which was awful). The new glee kids were awesome and Kitty was amazing in it, I absolutely hated the writing out of Marley, Jake, Ryder etc. I think there was too much unnecessary focus on Sue and Klaine in S6.

Overall it was a decent final season to the show.
Spartan
Legend

Postby RayRay » Tue May 08, 2018 11:43 am

Rachel and Blaine are going on tour together.
RayRay
Legend

Postby Ska8er » Tue May 08, 2018 11:45 am

The final season was awful. They completely lost the plot and most of the storylines were outrageous (the Saw episode, that annoying kid joining).

Also, I hated how Sam went with almost every glee girl and had a stupid romance with Rachel that was not only random, but also ended without them mentioning it.
Rest In Peace Lilly!
Ska8er
Legend

Postby Spartan » Tue May 08, 2018 12:10 pm

Sam literally had Quinn, Santana, Mercedes, Brittany, Tina and Rachel all at some point. And that random nurse.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Affillate » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:37 am

bit of a random news story I came across today: Kevin McHale (Artie) got (very) fit:

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/c ... 1e733c9c55
https://www.hit.com.au/scoopla/stars/gl ... sformation

Also didn't know he was on the team and has a partner apparently. Good on him. :)
Affillate
Manager

Postby Spartan » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:15 pm

Yeah I think most people kinda guessed he was gay, he always came across quite camp. Great body transformation though.
Spartan
Legend

Postby menime123 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:57 pm

I know it was crap at the end, but I miss this :lol:
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby WEDway82 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:56 pm

^I was going to say "it's time they did a reunion thing" - it seems like ages, but it only ended in '15? Seems like much longer than that.
"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney
WEDway82
Roadie

Postby menime123 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:52 pm

WEDway82 wrote:^I was going to say "it's time they did a reunion thing" - it seems like ages, but it only ended in '15? Seems like much longer than that.
A reunion episode could work in a few years, but I’d only really want to catch up with a few of them. Season 6 was really the reunion season storyline, and I think they did a flash forward and explained where most of them ended up... so I don’t know where it would go.

It should have ended after season 3 (which could have been split into 2 seasons), done a movie (band camp anyone?), and then had the main leads spin off into NYC as originally planned.

Rachel was by far the most interesting character that I think could still spin off - but not so much in a Glee style show... but perhaps something a bit more like Smash where she’s already an established star.
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Return to TV