The Walking Dead

Postby irishguy28 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:02 am

Vampires, you may have noticed, have been having something of a television moment – what with Being Human, True Blood and The Vampire Diaries it's been a fangtastic couple of years for viewers who like their TV with extra bite. But now there's some supernatural competition on its way with AMC – the US channel that gave us the Emmy award-winning dramas Mad Men and Breaking Bad – soon to broadcast the first season of its new zombie apocalypse show The Walking Dead. An adaptation of Robert Kirkman's ongoing comic series, the show will begin a run of six one-hour episodes on US television in October. And the web is already buzzing with anticipation folllowing the recent premiere of the show's trailer at Comic-Con in San Diego.

It's surprisingly rare to see zombie-apocalypse dramas on TV. Unlike vampires, the poor zombie has been too often relegated to a bit player or a figure of fun. Charlie Brooker's Dead Set recently paid homage to the zombie genre, it the show was ultimately a comedy – Kirkman's explicit goal has been to make his zombie comic (which has reached an epic 75 issues so far) a more serious piece of work. In fact the comic has won an Eisner award for its serious, social commentary-approach to the zombie apocalypse concept, and focuses with documentary-like detail on the terrifying ordeals of a group of American survivors suffers from one day to the next. The tagline is: "In a world in ruled by the dead, we are forced to finally start living".

The show is set to air in October in the US – and AMC has clearly committed to the show, bringing in The Shawshank Redemption director (and professed fan of the comic) Frank Darabont as writer, director and producer, to work with Robert Kirkman as executive producer. At a Comic-Con panel discussion with the show's cast and crew (which was interrupted by constant fan cheering) there were also promises that the show would not shy away from either the comic's serious tone or its willingness to see its characters meet brutal ends and cross moral boundaries.

The first six episodes will focus on the coming together of a mismatched group of individuals around the American city of Atlanta, and their travails as they try to find a safe haven from the 'shuffling variety' of zombie. Continuing the trend of British actors heading up US shows, This Life's Andrew Lincoln stars as small-town police officer Rick Grimes, unwilling leader of the survivors.

So will The Walking Dead prove to be AMC's big new hit, following Mad Men and Breaking Bad onto the awards podium (and, of course, onto UK television)? Surely it's about time zombies got more television airtime: in film they've had successful outings in 28 Weeks Later, Zombieland and the remake of Dawn of the Dead, to name a few. They are conquering the computer games industry – the zombie apocalypse Left 4 Dead co-op series of games has been a smash. Perhaps AMC is about to kick-start a new trend, which sees the vampires step aside, and the zombie given its due on television too.
irishguy28

Postby Thriller » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:32 am

I've always preferred zombies to vampires, in fact I watch anything with zombies in it! Heard a bit about this last week and really looking forward to it, interesting to see Andrew Lincoln star.
Thriller

Postby xtofer » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:56 am

» TRAILER

Looks good! I'm gonna watch this!
xtofer
Legend

Postby irishguy28 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:41 am

And of course it all kicks off on Hallowe'en...

...for Stateside folk, at least.
irishguy28

Postby Merci » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:19 am

interesting..

poster
I'm the terminator, bitch talk slick, I'm a have to terminate her ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Merci
Boss Matsumoto

Postby AussiePopStar8 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:35 am

Okay so I've seen the pilot/first episode for this and they ARE NOT PLAYING AROUND!
Within the first 10 minutes you see exactly what this show is going to be like and while there is the expected gore and horror element that goes hand in hand with the Zombie genre it's the unexpected humanity of the show that, I think, will keep an audience coming back for more.
Instead of thinking in terms of black & white , zombies = bad / humans = good, this is a world of shades of grey. The "walkers" at once draw out our fear but also our sympathy and there are some very touching moments of human/undead intereaction.
Horror fans rest assured though there is more than enough in there to keep you coming back and there were quite a few moments that were "edge of your seat" material.
If this single episode is anything to go by then the series is of to a fantastic start and I cannot wait to see how the core cast will be drawn together in the fight to survive as their own kind turns against them.
Happy endings are just stories that haven't finished yet...
AussiePopStar8
Manager

Postby NothingFails » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:05 am

The pilot shows the show is off to a good start. I felt bad for poor Miley Cyrus in her cameo towards the end..... she became food for the zombies. :lol: :lol:
NothingFails
Legend

Postby irishguy28 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:24 am

^ Spoiler alert!
irishguy28

Postby Thriller » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:48 pm

Starts Friday on FX at 10pm here.
Thriller

Postby Merci » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:51 pm

I didn't enjoy the 1st episode that much, but I'm still interested to see how the upcoming episodes will be like
I'm the terminator, bitch talk slick, I'm a have to terminate her ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Merci
Boss Matsumoto

Postby NothingFails » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:25 pm

irishguy28 wrote:^ Spoiler alert!
ummm, it would only be a spoiler if anyone even knew what I was referring to. Unless you saw it, you wouldn't even know what I was even talking about. You need a sense of humor pronto, it was supposed to be FUNNY.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby SeeForever » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:01 pm

Hope this is good!! There's not enough series on at the moment that I watch (I don't watch the vampire series' as doesn't interest me)
SeeForever
Legend

Postby irishguy28 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:44 pm

NothingFails wrote:ummm, it would only be a spoiler if anyone even knew what I was referring to. Unless you saw it, you wouldn't even know what I was even talking about. You need a sense of humor pronto, it was supposed to be FUNNY.
I think instead that I need to walk on eggshells around you.
irishguy28

Postby xtofer » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:42 pm

NothingFails wrote:I felt bad for poor Miley Cyrus in her cameo towards the end..... she became food for the zombies. :lol: :lol:
No, it's Leona not Miley! :lol:

The pilot is good! I love that it's already about the zombies on episode one.
xtofer
Legend

Postby Blondini » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:56 pm

It was OK, though a bit unoriginal - i kept thinking of 28 Days Later. Lincoln's Yank accent is taking some getting used to, as well.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby aaliyahman » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:14 pm

Loved it although Lincoln as an American isn't so good and at times the Zombies are kind of funny and cheap looking..

Love the twist that his wife has cheated.
"What goes around comes back around my baby"
aaliyahman
Superstar

Postby PDC1987 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:37 am

Blondini wrote:It was OK, though a bit unoriginal - i kept thinking of 28 Days Later. Lincoln's Yank accent is taking some getting used to, as well.
28 Days Later and the original Walking Dead comic came out at almost the same time. The hospital awakening is literally the *only* similarity, and mere coincidence. The Walking Dead comic has been running for 8 years now.
PDC1987
Personal Assistant

Postby alex4u » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:17 am

I have seen so many movies on Zombies that i am not curious anymore for these kind of shows and waiting for reviews then i will decide whether to watch it or not
alex4u
Groupie

Postby irishguy28 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:18 am

I've only seen positive reviews.
irishguy28

Postby naughty » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:06 am

Already been renewd for a 13 episode 2nd season on the basis of the 2nd episode ratings?! :o
naughty
Superstar

Postby thebigham » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:40 pm

It's good, but we have seen it all before in Zombie movies.
thebigham
Legend

Postby Blondini » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:22 pm

PDC1987 wrote:
Blondini wrote:It was OK, though a bit unoriginal - i kept thinking of 28 Days Later. Lincoln's Yank accent is taking some getting used to, as well.
28 Days Later and the original Walking Dead comic came out at almost the same time. The hospital awakening is literally the *only* similarity, and mere coincidence. The Walking Dead comic has been running for 8 years now.
It's not just that - it's all zombie films are like this - if you've seen Dawn Of The Dead (the original film), you've seen them all. This does nothing new with it. The comic will have been different precisely because it was a comic.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Blondini » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:23 pm

irishguy28 wrote:I've only seen positive reviews.
Watch The Review Show on BBC2 if you can access iPlayer.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby irishguy28 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:41 pm

No need, I saw it live.

irishguy28

Postby SeeForever » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:20 pm

Well I think it's great (and I have seen other zombie films!!)

Being a series we will get to know the heroes a lot better (unless they decide to give them a horrible early death)

Hope we get to see the father & son in episode 1 again
SeeForever
Legend

Return to TV