Shameless (USA)

Postby Blondini » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:18 am

Starts June 23rd on More 4.

William H. Macy stars as the Gallagher family's alcoholic patriarch, Frank in Shameless US - from Emmy Award-winning executive producer/writer John Wells (ER, The West Wing, Southland) - and is every bit as dysfunctional as his British counterpart, created by award-winning writer Paul Abbott (State of Play).

Set in Chicago, Shameless US finds the sprawling Gallagher clan struggling to make ends meet in today's recession. Not helped by the fact that their mother is AWOL and father is either passed out on the living room floor or with agoraphobic girlfriend Sheila (Oscar nominee - Joan Cusack), oldest daughter Fiona (Emmy Rossum) is left to the impossible task of keeping her five younger brothers and sisters on track.
Wells and Abbott have collaborated on the adaptation and are executive producers of the US series. Andrew Stearn (The West Wing, Southland) is co-executive producer.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby xtofer » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:50 pm

This is my favorite new series so far this year! It's so f*cked up, hilarious, real and emotional. I absolutely LOVE this! I haven't seen the original UK version so I can't compare.

Every episode is so brilliant. I always end up learning a thing or two about life. I can't count how many epic lines I quoted and twitted! :lol:

I love all the characters! They all suit their roles! Emmy Rossum is amazing here. She deserves an award for an episode here! (I forgot which one but it was that episode where her mother returned to take all of her siblings.) She also showed her boobies for like 3 episodes. :lol:

I can't wait for season two next year!
xtofer
Legend

Postby Blondini » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:25 am

It's a pretty good transfer - doesn't hold back on the sex and swearing - rather a shock seeing sweet Emmy Rossum romping naked! Macy is good as Frank but he's not quite as convincingly blottoed as David Threlfall is. Can't beat the original Frank. In the same way that you need to see the original Skins and the original The Killing you really need to see the original Shameless to get the full effect.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Thriller » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:02 pm

Not bothering with this, don't see the point.
Thriller

Postby Blondini » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:11 pm

I'm liking this. It evokes memories of the original yet the comparison is favourable (unlike the US The Killing).

Macy is pretty good and i especially like Rossum as Fiona and the Lip and Carl actors. The girl playing Mandy (Maguire; here called Milkovich) is a bit like a young Mila Kunis - not quite the "unconventional" beauty the Brit one was! But still very good.

Now they're on to that missing kid storyline - the one that inspired Shannon Mathews' abduction of her own daughter. (i think?)

The US Karen is tempting Frank - the bit when she waves her arse in front of him and he catches her topless in the bath - she's blonde and a Barbie girl FFS! Not a patch on our Rebecca Atkinson: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8uFN1BRq_I
^That's from a later UK ep, i think.

Dave are showing UK series one all week so you can compare! Though only seven eps were in that series, the US one has 12, so it must be taking 5 from series 2. The US Debbie Gallagher is fantastic! Possibly better than our own Rebecca Ryan!
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:27 pm

I LOVE THIS! :o

Granted, I just finished the first episode. :lol: BUT I can tell I'm going to love this. It's crazy, but heartwarming, funny, but deep in parts, and, above all, there's a gay character. This is brilliant and just what I was looking for.

When in doubt, always go gay. 8-)
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:34 pm

This show is so messed up. DEAD at some of Frank's "usual spots". :lol: :lol: :lol: And the kids cheering when the dead man was revealed not to be their dad. :lol: And all the Canada shade in the jail scene. :lol: And "surround sound b*tching". :lol:

This show >>>
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:21 am

I just finished season one. Ian's my favourite, obviously. :oops: I love Phillip too and Fiona too, though I do wish she'd take better care of herself. It's a shame what Karen has become. :(

On to season two now! 8-)
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:06 pm

Midway through season two and I am loving Grandma Gallagher! She's epic! :lol:
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:17 am

Just finished season two! I didn't see that shocker coming with Steve's dad. I thought Ian's scene with Mickey a few episodes prior, where Mickey said "You were just a warm mouth to me" was super icy, but I love their banter and I know, thanks to some behind the scenes investigation, to expect more from them in season three.

Hmm...I'm tempted to go to bed since school resumes tomorrow, but I think I can stitch in at least one or two episodes first. The addiction is real. :oops:
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:13 am

I have finally caught up so now I can follow this show like a normal human-being and not a savage devouring three/four episodes a day. :lol:

The Kevin/Veronica/Veronica's mom storyline is really taking off! I didn't see that twist coming. I am so here for more Ian/Mickey drama. It's a shame Mickey couldn't be brave enough to be honest with his feelings and tell Ian not to leave. I'm sure he would have listened. :( The scene with Mickey in the bathroom was sad to watch and I was unimpressed that this was an Ian-less episode but I'm sure he'll be back soon.

Not liking the new Debbie but I suppose she had to grow up eventually. Lip struggling in college academically is a bit of a surprise. I figured he'd have more behavioural issues than academic.

I like Fiona's new boyfriend a lot. He's cute. I figure Steve/Jimmy will eventually pop up but I think this one's a keeper.

On another note, I love the season four poster.

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:41 am

The second episode was good, but I miss Ian so much. :( A few people on ATRL were saying that he won't be back until episode eight, but that's so far away! :(

I must say that Phillip's storyline is proving to be the most interesting of the season thus far, among the Gallaghers anyway. I'm curious to learn more about this oldest daughter and Debbie's boyfriend.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:57 am

I miss Ian. I really do. The show is still great but it feels incomplete without him. :cry: Poor Mickey. :cry: And poor Lip. The Ivy League struggle seems to be more than even he can handle. :(

Very interested to see where Fiona and Debbie's storyline traverses next week. Debbie's boyfriend seems a bit different. I wonder if he's gay.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:51 am

So great to see more of Mickey this week! I found most of his lines to be hilarious. :lol:

Lip's been having such a rough stint at college. Good for him that he didn't quit and now maybe the lecturer - who I just realized is Teen Wolf's Deucalion - will start looking out for him.

Fiona is a hot mess. :lol: She really ought to do better and stop the cheating. She's finally found a decent man and she's jeapordizing that relationship. Hopefully, Debbie's boyfriend won't dump her after her aggressive advances. And, OMG, Carl is such a criminal in the making! :lol:

Great episode this week. We're getting ever closer to Ian's much anticipated return! 8-)
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:09 am

Ian is back! He is back, he is back, he is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! :cry: :cry: :cry:

I was so excited to see him again, I almost lost it. :lol: What the hell happened to him, though? Was he high or something? He seemed so unlike himself. Anyway, I'm just super, super, suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper happy to have him back! <3 <3 <3

I appreciated how Debbie accompanied Lip on his journey to Ian. She's really growing up and I think I'm starting to get used to this more mature Debbie.

Fiona's life right now is a hot, hot mess. That last scene was heartbreaking. :( I really hope all is well with Liam. I honestly didn't see that coming.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:18 am

Boo at no Ian this week. This show be messing with my emotions. :lol:

Emmy Rossum is really an outstanding actress. She was incredible in the last episode. It'll be interesting to see how Fiona's storyline unfolds, but it really is tragic how things turned out. Thankfully, Liam is well so I guess that's the most important thing.

I'm curious to see if they'll really kill off Frank. I mean, the show's been renewed for season five so I find it hard to imagine how they'd keep it going without him for such a long time. He annoys me sometimes, though, and the kids are such strong characters that I have no doubt they could carry the show without him.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:48 am

Ian and Mickey BACK TOGETHER AT LAST!!!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

They are the most messed up couple of all-time, but I love seeing those two together so much! :cry: It was so sweet to see Mickey finally show that he cares and be Ian's rescuer. That scene with Mickey's wife coming in and seeing Ian passed out on the bed was so powerful because it showed that despite Mickey's father forcing their marriage and despite Mickey's attempts to masquerade as a heterosexual, he will always be living a lie and Ian will always be his true love. Ian and Mickey forever. <3 <3 <3 <3

Kudos to Lip for taking control of the household. I hope he finds it in his heart to forgive Fiona one day. I mean she did sort of raise everyone for years and she shouldn't be blacklisted for a single transgression. Nice of his roommate's girlfriend to watch Liam for him when he went to class too. I wonder if she'll become his next love interest. The conflict that'll cause will be interesting to watch.

I died at that scene in the bar where everyone pointed their guns at Kevin. :lol: :lol: :lol: I think he forgets sometimes that he lives in the ghetto. :lol:

It was a teensy bit inappropriate of me, but when Debbie stormed into her room with a passion and attempted to self-harm, only to realize that that sh*t hurts, I laughed. :oops: I'm so happy the writers didn't take her character to that point. The kids' mother was all the suicidal character they needed.

When the judge read those charges to Fiona, my heart fell. It's so tragic how one mistake can just mess up your whole life like that. Poor Fiona. :(

This show is getting dangerously close to Scandal levels. Slay a bit, Shameless USA. SLAY A BIT!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:12 am

Okay, my dreams just came true. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I have waited four seasons for Mickey to reach this point. FOUR seasons! And he has finally come full circle! Hallelujah! Ian and Mickey forever. <3

I just love how Mickey was so affectionate toward Ian this episode. There were more subtle moments of it - when he asked Ian if he wanted some more coffee - and some more explicit - that scene in the bedroom, when he told the guy that he and Ian were "together", and, of course, that kiss in the club. :cry: A real kiss. :cry: Not a quick peck on the check, but a full kiss. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Ugh, just the Ian/Mickey scenes alone would've made this episode epic, but I'm glad Lip is cooling off on this passive-aggressive attitude towards Fiona. She's been through a lot and she really needs the support of her family right now.

I expected Veronica's mom to want to keep the baby. Kevin should be happy that he's still going to be get two babies; at one point in time, it looked like he would get zero. Let's not be greedy, Kev.

Carl is a mess. :lol: Debbie's virginity poster was an even bigger mess. :lol: Glad that she's been able to form a bond with her newfound sister. I suppose she'll get back with her ex-boyfriend soon.

Anyway, another insanely amazing episode tonight. I can go to bed now and dream sweet dreams of an Ian/Mickey wedding. :cry:
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:29 am

Another good episode this week!

It's really a shame everything Fiona's going through because of a single mistake. That scene at her old job with Mike's sister putting her down like that was hard to watch. And her having to rent a cab, then run barefoot in the snow just to make her curfew was pretty pitiful to see too. And she just seems to continue with these bad choices as that last scene suggests - her reuniting with Mike's brother is a very, very bad move. I can understand why she's done so, but he's nothing but bad news.

The whole Lip/Lip's new pretend girlfriend/Mandy/Mandy's crazy, abusive boyfriend storyline is proving to be entertaining. Lip's 'girlfriend' is super controlling, though, and I know he'll get tired of her very soon. That scene with Mandy's boyfriend chasing him through the university was funny, but Mickey seeing Mandy cleaning her bloody face after the boyfriend beat her up was gut-wrenching. :cry: Mandy deserves so much better; she deserves Lip!

I'm not at all fussed with Frank's storyline, to be honest. He can go ahead and die; only then will he make some kind of substantial contribution to the show again. I feel all season his storyline has been the weakest, but at least if he dies, he can salvage some of his season one/two greatness. Yay at Sheila returning. I missed her!

Debbie was completely in the wrong for trying to do that to her ex's current girlfriend. I'm glad the lady showed her she's not to be messed with. Carl finding his female equivalent was refreshing to see, but I think Bonnie is a few notches ahead of him in the whole criminal game. Homegirl is dangerous; I mean, to be robbing banks at - what, 15? - is just CRAY CRAY.

Ian + Mickey = greatness every single time. You know you love a TV couple when one can seduce an in-the-closet, wealthy old man, the second snap a photograph just as the geezer's about to give it to his boyfriend, the two collaboratively rob and blackmail the guy, then when the guy asks to be sucked off, the boyfriend knees him in the groin. I mean, if that's not true love, I don't know what is. :cry:

#ianandmickey4ever
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:12 am

This show is such a mess. :lol: I was just thinking that, if this were on Netflix, its tag should be "Some Real F**ked Up Sh*t" because that's all that goes down on this show. :lol: Tonight's episode had me in a fit of laughter for a good three minutes. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's sad that Fiona's gotten strung out again, but I'm happy that Lip had her back this time and admitted that he sort of neglected her when she needed his helped, and apologized for it. I sort of feel sorry for Lip too, though, because with Fiona not being able to rise to the occasion, he has to juggle the workload of an Ivy league college and pretty much look after a family of five too. That's a pretty tough job, even for him.

I'm really happy that Ian is back, but he's behaving so much like Monica and I need to find out why. Cameron Monaghan promised that we'd find out by the end of the season so I'm looking forward to the explanation. I'm loving Mickey right now. He's hilarious as ever. :lol:

I was a bit scared when Kevin's gun went off accidentally and nearly shot one of his newborn twins. I know Veronica will be furious with him for a while for that.

All in all, brilliant episode. This show is scarily awesome. I think, at its best, it's even better than Scandal (when Scandal has an average week). :o
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby geekyspice » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:09 am

I love this show but not started the new season yet as no Ian has put me off :(
geekyspice
Roadie

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:25 am

geekyspice wrote:I love this show but not started the new season yet as no Ian has put me off :(
He returns in episode five, but I assure you there's ample drama even without him. I missed him while he was gone too, but his comeback led to some pretty interesting events that made the wait worthwhile.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:38 am

This show is amazing! :o Tonight's episode was even better than Scandal this week! :o :o :o It's definitely the funniest show I've ever watched too! :lol: Those primetime comedies - The Big Bang Theory, Modern Family, and the others - have nothing on this! 8-)

The Ian/Mickey scenes this episode were pure gold. All those other flop romances can take several seats; those two make the best couple, gay or straight, of all-time. Mickey's coming out was surprising and I love how the writers fooled me into thinking everyone was too drunk to react, only to have Mickey's piece of crap for a father try to kill him. I love that he was brave enough to come out though. I guess he was really adamant about not letting Ian slip through his fingers again. :cry: Ian jumping in to defend him was sweet too. :cry: I had so many feels this episode and they were responsible for most of them.

I'm loving Lip's storyline more than ever. Most of his scenes were awesome. :lol:

Poor Fiona. :( She's not cut out for jail. :(

I'm glad that the signs are pointing to Debbie and her ex getting back together. What that guy did to her was the epitome of cruel, but thankfully her ex was there for her in the end. <3

Carl and Bonnie are such a hot mess couple. :lol: I mean, I never thought he would meet a girl who was even more of a criminal than he was, but I love them together.

All in all, best Shameless episode ever. They better not mess up next week's season finale.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:20 am

Incredible season finale! The highlight was definitely Mickey's reaction to Ian's bipolar disorder. I mean, those two have been through so much and it really sucks that no season finale ever sees them with a happy ending. I hope Ian gets better soon, but I'm so proud of Mickey. I think he's grown more than any character in any show I've ever seen. I absolutely love him now.

I find it funny that each time Fiona came home from jail she found no one at the house. :lol: I'm glad she's out though. Hopefully, next season will see her getting her sh*t together.

Lip and Amanda look like a trainwreck waiting to happen. I really like Amanda, but I feel like Lip genuinely loves Mandy whereas he just 'likes' and tolerates Amanda.

Poor Carl. :( I was just thinking whilst watching the episode how much he and Debbie have grown up. I had my reservations with Debbie, but I love where the writers are taking their characters.

Boo at Frank getting the final scene of the season. I swear he always gets the pimp spot each season finale. After all they went through, Ian and Mickey deserved it.

Anyway, a terrific close to a BRILLIANT season. Waiting 9 months for season 5 will be torture but I suspect it'll be worth the wait.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:42 am

The first teaser is OUT! :D

I'm going to need more UKMixers to discover the brilliance of Shameless. I just realized how insane I look in this thread practically talking to myself all of last season. :lol:
JSparksFan
Legend

Return to TV