UK Mix Top 100 Horror Films *AT LAAAAAST* [COMPLETE]

Postby SholasBoy » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:45 am

Back in February I gave you til April to get your votes in (LOLZ)...I've finally got round to compiling your top 100 horrors of alltime, so I'll be counting them down 5 at a time starting tomorrow :)

First up here's the 10 that just missed out:

The Puppet Master
Cannibal Ferox
Halloween H20
High Tension
The Last House On The Left
Cape Fear
Suspiria
Wind Chill
Gremlins
Leatherface : The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3
Last edited by SholasBoy on Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:55 am, edited 22 times in total.
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby SeeForever » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:54 am

Didn't vote on this but looking forward to see the rundown!! Gremlins is great (but it's a comedy as far as I'm concerned) and Halloween H20 isn't too bad (after all those awful sequels)

Cape Fear is good too

I can imagine The Exorcist will chart high unfortunately :-?

I hope Halloween and Scream are high up here
RIP The Queen Of Disco
SeeForever
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:29 am

Actually waiting until now is probably good timing, with Halloween being little more than a month away. Bring it on! I don't have my list anymore, but I think I might've given H20 a couple filler points.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby Ferris » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:00 am

SeeForever wrote:Didn't vote on this but looking forward to see the rundown!!
Ditto :)
Ferris
Manager

Postby SeeForever » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:08 pm

NothingFails wrote:Actually waiting until now is probably good timing, with Halloween being little more than a month away. Bring it on! I don't have my list anymore, but I think I might've given H20 a couple filler points.
Would be perfect to reveal the #1 on Halloween 8-)
RIP The Queen Of Disco
SeeForever
Legend

Postby Blondini » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:17 pm

The Puppet Master - OK
Cannibal Ferox - saw it, not particularly great - all the cannibal films are a bit sick and lacking artistic merit - all have real animal deaths in them which has seen them censored in UK.

Halloween H20 - average.
High Tension - known as Switchblade Romance in UK - quite good.

The Last House On The Left - (the Wes Craven 70's original?)
Cape Fear (which one? the 90's one with DeNiro?)

Suspiria - classic.

Gremlins (my #17 - obviously a comedy but so are Critters and Leprechaun and the like - the genre is horror/comedy.)

Leatherface : The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3 - OK but all the spin-offs pale in comparison to original.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby SholasBoy » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:28 pm

Here we go then you beasts...

...UK MIX TOP 100 HORROR FILMS
..According To You!

100 SCREAM 3 (2000)
The most terrifying scream is always the last.

IMDB Score 5/10
Worldwide Gross $161,830,000
" It was a simple game, Cotton, you should've told me where Sidney was... now you lose. "
In the final installment to this trilogy, a murdering spree begins to happen again; this time targeted toward the orginal Woodsboro survivors and those associated with the movie-inside a-movie, Stab 3. Sydney must face the demons of her past to stop the killer(s).

99 INSIDE (2007)
Ouvre-Moi Ta Porte ... Que Je T’ouvre Le Ventre

IMDB Score 7/10
Worldwide Gross $786,180
Four months after the death of her husband, a woman on the brink of motherhood is tormented in her home by a strange woman who wants her unborn baby.

98 GOTHIKA (2003)
Because someone is dead doesn't mean they're gone.

IMDB Score 5.7/10
Worldwide Gross $141,591,324
" Come on, honey, time to wash away your sins. "
Ghost story in which a repressed female psychiatrist wakes up as a patient in the very asylum where she worked with no memory of why she is there and what she has done..

97 GINGER SNAPS (2000)
They Don't Call It The Curse For Nothing

IMDB Score 6.9/10
Worldwide Gross $425,753
" I get this ache... And I, I thought it was for sex, but it's to tear everything to f***ing pieces."
This film uses werewolfism as a metaphor for puberty. One of the Fitzgerald sisters, suburban goth girl outcasts, gets bitten by something in the woods (and it ain't a neighborhood dog).

96 FRAILTY (2001)
Only The Innocent Survive

IMDB Score 7.3/10
Worldwide Gross $17,423,030
" It's all a big lie, you hear me? I think we need to run away, just for a little while. Until he gets better. Sooner or later Dad's gonna kill somebody and you know it. "
A man confesses to an FBI agent his family's story of how his religious fanatic father's visions lead to a series of murders to destroy supposed "demons."

Info taken from IMDB.com and wikipedia.org
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby Ferris » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:40 pm

I've only seen Scream 3 of those five, which I thought was a mediocre sequel. I've actually had Gothika for ages though, but still haven't got around to watching it.
Ferris
Manager

Postby steophonic » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:49 pm

It's appropriate that this countdown has come back from the dead.

Gothika was a great film, my #14.

I didn't vote Scream 3 as I thought it was one of the weakest from the franchise.

I like Gremlins but didn't class it as a horror, even though it scared the crap out of me as a young lad.
steophonic
Music Junkie

Postby Ferris » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:09 pm

^ Yeah 'Gremlins' is undoubtedly more of a comedy, same as 'Critters' and 'Munchies'.
Ferris
Manager

Postby NothingFails » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:45 pm

Scream 3 was great. A lot of people hated it, but I think after Scream 4 they can look back at how great it was next to it. Parker Posey pretty much makes the movie, and of course the cameos (Jay and Silent Bob as tourists, Carrie Fisher as the failed actress who was passed up for Princess Leia because she didn't sleep with George Lucas, etc..)

Frailty was excellent, a great psychological thriller. Bill Paxton was wonderful as the psychotic dad whose mission is to kill "demons".
NothingFails
Legend

Postby Blondini » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:47 pm

Ginger Snaps is a fantastic werewolf/ coming-of-age film. Such a cult hit on video it spawned a prequel (OK) and a sequel (crap).

14 Ginger Snaps

I hope others voted it. I assume 7 points is not enough to qualify?

Scream was a bit yawn after the first one. Frailty is good. Gothika isn't.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby jio » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:04 pm

OK I am a big horror fan (although most horror tend to bore me to tears nowadays) so I am gonna be commenting on this. First the films which didn't make it:

Puppet Master: '80s (I believe) gem, saw it when I was a child, don't really remember it which means it probably didn't scare me. But I do remember I had a classmate raving about it

Cannibal Ferox: I am the one who voted for it, even though I don't necesserily consider it a horror film. I had seen most of the well-known cannibal films as a child but I went through a 70s film-phase recently so I saw them again. I think as a film this is better (or at least as good as) its more well-known cousin "Cannibal Holocaust" but it had the misfortune to have been released second and, let's face it, it was almost identical. Still a great film though. It was my #15

Cape Fear: Another good one but I don't consider it horror either. I didn't even consider it for this list personally

Suspiria: I saw it twice, the second time in an effort to understand what the big deal about this one was. I didn't understand. I just don't like it and it definitely wasn't scary, even for a 70s flick

Wind Chill Yeah, I wasn't expecting this one to chart but I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did either. Which is why it was my #16. Emily Blunt is just great

Gremlins: Come on now, who voted for this one? I mean really?

Last House On The Left: yeah it's a historic film as it was kind of the beginning of the slasher genre of films, but I am not a massive fan of the genre (at least not without some extra perversity or twist in it). For me it was OK but nothing more

Haven't seen the others

From the first five I have only seen Gothica and Frailty and I liked both. In fact, I think I must have either forgotten to vote for Frailty or having it as my #21 or something. Halle Berry was great in Gothica too. Not groundbreaking films in any way, but nice fun horror movies all the same

btw: I considered watching "Inside" more than once, but something about the story screams violence for the sake of violence, so I never did. Am I missing something?

and yeah all the "Scream" movies should be renamed "Yawn" instead
jio
Legend

Postby Jack » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:36 pm

I've seen:

Halloween H20 (IMO the best Halloween sequel)
Gremlins (LOVE It! One of my fave films of all time, its like a horror film for kids :-))
Leatherface : The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3 (IMO the best TCM sequel)
Scream 3 (I found this hilarious, I have yet to see the 4th one)
Gothika (Seen this once when it was first released so can't really remember it)

I hope Paranormal Activity, Blair Witch, TCM the original, Poltergeist and American Werewolf all make the Top 10!
Jack
Manager

Postby Thombus » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:11 pm

I voted for the Puppet Master. Nostalgia really - it makes me laugh nowadays, but as a child it sh*t me up so 'tis why I voted for it....!
Thombus
Tran Fan

Postby SholasBoy » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:49 pm

95 CHILDS PLAY 2 (1990)
Sorry Jack, Chucky's back!

IMDB Score 5/10
Worldwide Gross $35,763,605
" I promise I won't kill anyone else"
Chuckie's back as the doll possessed by the soul of a serial killer, butchering all who stand in his way of possessing the body of a boy.

94 TOOLBOX MURDERS (2004)
If you lived here, you'd be dead by now.

IMDB Score 5/10
Worldwide Gross N/A
" Luis, the Vice Chancellor will be here at 3 for finger sandwiches. "
A historic Hollywood hotel houses a supernatural evil. It's been subdued for decades - but when renovations start, a series of murders take place. It's up to our heroine to solve the mystery.

93 THE INVISIBLE RAY (1936)
Delving into new, strange fields of mystery!

IMDB Score 6.6/10
Worldwide Gross N/A
" He shan't reach out of the grave and ruin our lives! "
Visionary scientist Janos Rukh convinces a group of scientists and supporters to mount an expedition to the African continent to locate and study an ancient meteorite of great significance. He exposes himself to the highly toxic radiation of the meteorite, and while an antidote devised by Dr. Benet saves him from death by radiation poisoning, his naked touch causes instant death to others

92 THE HUMAN CENTIPEDE (1ST SEQUENCE) (2009)
Their flesh is his fantasy.

IMDB Score 4.8/10
Worldwide Gross $252,207
" Do you already regret your little escape? In fact, I'm thankful for it, because now... I know definitely you are the middle piece! "
A mad scientist kidnaps and mutilates a trio of tourists in order to reassemble them into a new "pet"-- a human centipede, created by stitching their mouths to each others' rectums.

91 SE7EN (1995)
Let he who is without sin try to survive

IMDB Score 8.7/10
Worldwide Gross $316,400,000
" He's experienced about as much pain and suffering as anyone I've encountered, give or take, and he still has Hell to look forward to. "
Two detectives, a rookie and a veteran, hunt a serial killer who uses the seven deadly sins as his modus operandi.
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby Thombus » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:50 pm

I never thought of Se7en as a horror, but it's an ACE film - never tire of it.

Human Centipede is just eugh. Watched it the other week and can still hear the muffled screams to this day :lol:

--edit--

I'm not seeing the images Shane for some reason....
Thombus
Tran Fan

Postby NothingFails » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:14 pm

Childs Play 2 was hilarious! I loved the scene with Miss Kettlewell in the school :lol:
NothingFails
Legend

Postby stevyy » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:36 pm

seven was good. one of very few Brad Pitt movies i actually like..
stevyy
Legend

Postby Blondini » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:38 pm

Seven is brilliant - i'm not sure if i'd call it horror, either - it's a detective thriller with grisly elements.

The only good Child's Play was the first (i've a feeling i'll be saying this a lot in here!).

Centipede is OK but not up to the hype.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby SholasBoy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:28 pm

90 HELL RAISER (1987)
Demon to some. Angel to others.

IMDB Score 7/10
Worldwide Gross $14,564,027
" It No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering."
An unfaithful wife encounters the zombie of her dead lover, who's being chased by demons after he escaped from their sado-masochistic Hell.

89 EDEN LAKE (2008)
A weekend by the lake, with views to die for.

IMDB Score 6.9/10
Worldwide Gross $3,983,997
" Follow the blood! "
Refusing to let anything spoil their romantic weekend break, a young couple confront a gang of loutish youths with terrifyingly brutal consequences.

88 AMITYVILLE HORROR (2005)
Katch 'em, kill 'em

IMDB Score 5.8/10
Worldwide Gross $108,047,131
" This house is bad, Mommy. "
A family is terrorized by demonic forces after moving into a home that was the site of a grisly mass-murder.

87 URBAN LEGEND (1998)
Just because it didn't happen, doesn't mean it can't

IMDB Score 5/10
Worldwide Gross $72,527,595
” If we ever have another E. Coli crisis in the cafeteria, I want you to have the biggest, juiciest burger. My treat."
A college coed suspects that murders around her campus are connected to Urban Legends.

86 IRREVERSIBLE (2002)
Le temps détruit tout - Time destroys everything

IMDB Score 7.3/10
Worldwide Gross €5,810,102
” With a little money, we can help you get revenge. The assailant drew blood. Blood calls for revenge. Vengeance is a human right. "
Events over the course of one traumatic night in Paris unfold in reverse-chronological order as the beautiful Alex is brutally raped and beaten by a stranger in the underpass.
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby Ferris » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:55 pm

Se7en - a classic, though I agree its more of a thriller.

Human Centipede - it was ok, but not really worth all the controversy. The idea sounds much worse than what's actually shown in the movie, which isn't all that graphic.

Eden Lake - this movie stayed with me after seeing it. I think because its exactly the sort of thing you can imagine hearing about in the news, and taps into society's paranoia over chavvy thugs and their parents.

Amityville Horror - the remake didn't really add anything.

Urban Legend - typical cliched teen slasher movie.
Ferris
Manager

Postby steophonic » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:16 pm

I voted for Se7en because it is brilliant, but in hindsight, I agree that it's not really a horror.

I enjoyed Urban Legend at the time too... I do love the slasher type movies, even if they are very predictable and cheesy at times.

I'm not sure I would class Irreversible as a horror movie either. It was the most disturbing movie I have ever seen, to the extent that I literally couldn't bear to watch it at times... but that was due to the rape and brutal violence rather than it being scary.
steophonic
Music Junkie

Postby biscuits » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:52 pm

Urban Legend was pretty good. Don't think I remembered to vote for it though.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby SholasBoy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:17 pm

steophonic wrote:I'm not sure I would class Irreversible as a horror movie either. It was the most disturbing movie I have ever seen, to the extent that I literally couldn't bear to watch it at times... but that was due to the rape and brutal violence rather than it being scary.
I recently saw the 2010 remake of "I Spit On Your Grave" and felt the same way, it was really disturbing viewing and didn't really have a story line, just graphic to shock and that was it.
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Return to Entertainment